Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Cabin in the Woods is rad, dope, and a bunch of other possibly outdated adjectives.

Crosspost from the Kickstarter and adventure threads, Fran Bow is out after a couple years of development.

It's a point and click horror type game, which is very much my jam. It was funded on Indiegogo back around the dawn of civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Is it just me or has there been like no marketing whatsoever for SOMA. It's out in 3 weeks and I've not seen a single thing for it anywhere.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah I was super jazzed for it and the release date just snuck up on me. last week i was like huh when is that game coming out...oh a month from now f'ing awesome.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Cabin in the Woods is rad, dope, and a bunch of other possibly outdated adjectives.

Crosspost from the Kickstarter and adventure threads, Fran Bow is out after a couple years of development.

It's a point and click horror type game, which is very much my jam. It was funded on Indiegogo back around the dawn of civilization.

Fran Bow looks real, real good. It has a pretty lengthy demo on the store page as well, so everyone can try it out.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Fran Bow is pretty neat from the demo, though fair word of warning I guess, a lot of :gonk: abuse stuff involving kids ahead.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

megalodong posted:

Is it just me or has there been like no marketing whatsoever for SOMA. It's out in 3 weeks and I've not seen a single thing for it anywhere.

They released a new trailer a couple of weeks ago I think? Nothing new since then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

speaking of CiTW, i remember there were Lakeview Cabin and (stretching) Party Hard. How are those games?

Party Hard is... okay. I've just played the first two levels so far and mostly it's based around timing kills to reduce police involvement and not being seen. You're going to do a lot of stabbing, and stabbing and stabbing, and poisoning and the very occasional environmental kill. I'm getting the impression that I've experienced the entire game in the first 30 minutes.

I'd wait for a bundle.

e: Also the "story" and voiced narration is really embarrassing. I don't know why they did that, it makes the game feel really corny and cheap.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

megalodong posted:

Pretty much all of Frictional's games to date have had very limited marketing. A Machine for Pigs is probably the worst offender, with literally no trailers for a year up to release and no launch trailers and also a game that was almost nothing like the trailers. Not bitter or anything.

When it comes to horror games, limited marketing is probably best. The less you know about the game going in, the better. They don't really need to market much since "THE CREATORS OF AMNESIA" is probably more than enough to sell a good amount of copies anyway.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Why pay for marketing when every Youtuber is going to stick their screaming face in the corner?

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I remember reading about Amnesia that it took several months before sales really took off, again because of basically no marketing. Frictional Games was in a tough spot financially at the time so they weren't even sure about their long term future.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I hope it doesn't involve hiding from the same boring monster in dreary environments until the initial panic wears off and I get bored and quit.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think I would kind of prefer it if there was a "horror" game that involved exploration and puzzle solving that didn't involve a monster that could kill you at all. I mean like drat, if you are exploring a creepy abandoned hospital at night in real life, you're gonna be creeped out even though you know there's not gonna be a ghost or monster attacking you. I think too many of these horror games rely on you being in actual danger of something killing you when really all you need is just really good atmosphere. You can still have ghosts and scares, but a scary game can be scary without something on the hunt for you. I didn't particularly like the bits of Amnesia where you deal with a monster because those parts aren't scary. They're stressful in that you need to get away from it, but the parts I was scared the mosts were parts where I was perfectly safe but the environment around me was creepy as gently caress

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

You might want to check out The 7th Guest and/or The Eleventh Hour. They're old, technically I guess they are adventure games, but they are spooky and have puzzles and I don't believe there is a monster or similar.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Macaluso posted:

I think I would kind of prefer it if there was a "horror" game that involved exploration and puzzle solving that didn't involve a monster that could kill you at all. I mean like drat, if you are exploring a creepy abandoned hospital at night in real life, you're gonna be creeped out even though you know there's not gonna be a ghost or monster attacking you. I think too many of these horror games rely on you being in actual danger of something killing you when really all you need is just really good atmosphere. You can still have ghosts and scares, but a scary game can be scary without something on the hunt for you. I didn't particularly like the bits of Amnesia where you deal with a monster because those parts aren't scary. They're stressful in that you need to get away from it, but the parts I was scared the mosts were parts where I was perfectly safe but the environment around me was creepy as gently caress

yeah i kinda wish there was more of this because no monster is gonna live up to what you've dreamed up in your nogging. on the flip side you need some kind of payoff for the buildup, even Jaws eventually shows you the shark.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Macaluso posted:

There's a game that just got EA on Steam and it might fit what you're looking for: http://store.steampowered.com/app/391720/. It's pretty good so far and as far as I know there's no monsters that are going to be chasing you.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You know what did a good job of that, mostly? Gabriel Knight, the old adventure game. Most situations in the game it's impossible to die, and they reserve the possibility of dying for situations that are obviously dangerous and usually the solution is right nearby. It lets them contrast the rest of the puzzles and make the climax of the story stand out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i kinda wish there was more of this because no monster is gonna live up to what you've dreamed up in your nogging. on the flip side you need some kind of payoff for the buildup, even Jaws eventually shows you the shark.

The issue is that you might want to not put a monster in, but you can't actually -tell- the player they aren't in any danger. But it seems like every horror dev that wants to attempt it put -NO MONSTER NO DANGER ALL ATMOSPHERE- in bold on the top of the features list and just screw it up.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The issue is that you might want to not put a monster in, but you can't actually -tell- the player they aren't in any danger. But it seems like every horror dev that wants to attempt it put -NO MONSTER NO DANGER ALL ATMOSPHERE- in bold on the top of the features list and just screw it up.

The problem is that if you don't let people know ahead of time, you get a billion angry Steam reviews bitching that they couldn't properly scream and cry with the lack of spooky pop-out monsters.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Macaluso posted:

So something like Scratches or Gone Home

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Speaking of horror games with unique mechanics, I recently discovered a flash game called entity that I think is some well made and some creepy poo poo. No jump scares or gore here, nice pixel art graphics and chip tune music, and can get pretty hectic.

It's about sleep paralysis, a goon favorite malady.

I'll give a tip, though I haven't beaten the third wave: Take a good look at the "how to play" section and remember those keys, try them when nothing else seems to be working.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ayn rand hand job posted:

So something like Scratches or Gone Home

gone home doesn't have enough gameplay. though tbh horror games need to stop being "full game" length and be shorter like 2-5 hour experiences. one of the frictional guys wrote a good blog post about what horror games should do and that's one of his points and i can't disagree.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Anyone checked out Layers of Fear? It looks pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxO6jxH4SdY

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

weekly font posted:

Anyone checked out Layers of Fear? It looks pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxO6jxH4SdY
Yeah, I mentioned it a couple of posts up. It's pretty good so far though it's apparently only like three hours long currently.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Saving the monster til the very end would be a good compromise I think. It's just the encounters with monsters multiple times throughout the game that is like "alright..." I mean I'm one of those people that hated Cloverfield because you barely got to see the monster. Show me the drat monster in this monster movie! So I totally get being disappointed when they keep you from experiencing the monster. But at the same time, scary games are most scary when it's the atmosphere doing the work

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah that same post by the frictional guy i'm talking about specifically says horror games should be shorter due to the fact you have build up then the reveal. you can't do 20 hours of build up, nothing is gonna pay off after that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah that same post by the frictional guy i'm talking about specifically says horror games should be shorter due to the fact you have build up then the reveal. you can't do 20 hours of build up, nothing is gonna pay off after that.

I'd be totally okay with that. I mean some of the best experiences in gaming I've had so far this year have been the Life is Strange episode which are only a few hours long if you explore. Granted that's not the best case cause when all the parts are out it'll be one long game, but I think shorter but really good games is something that is starting to happen more and I'm totally down with it. I loved Witcher 3 but that game took me weeks to finish and it didn't stick with me nearly as much. A good short horror experience is better. Plus when something scary outstays its welcome it just stops being scary. That's probably why PT did so well, beyond just how well made it was. It was a short experience, but it was really good and scary experience.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I wonder if it would be possible to make a really long horror game that's almost all build up. I'm imagining something like hunting Dracula, where you start in some tiny village, venture off into the woods, climb mountains, pass through ruins, climb to the castle, make your way inside, and when you find him it becomes some super intense chase. Tons of atmosphere and build up to one short burst of visceral fear.

I think I just described a Castlevania walking sim, actually.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Macaluso posted:

Saving the monster til the very end would be a good compromise I think. It's just the encounters with monsters multiple times throughout the game that is like "alright..." I mean I'm one of those people that hated Cloverfield because you barely got to see the monster. Show me the drat monster in this monster movie! So I totally get being disappointed when they keep you from experiencing the monster. But at the same time, scary games are most scary when it's the atmosphere doing the work

Among The Sleep did this.

The ending of that was dumb, but I thought the rest of it was alright.

PayingForTheView
Feb 20, 2011
Speaking of The idea of the monster getting too much screen time being a deterrent for horror: the one thing that took all the tension out of Alien Isolation was the fact I died so many times that it just became annoying when I got gored.

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I just played Layers of Fear and it's really good. And it's also weird how well it fits exactly into the type of game people are describing on this page. It's got its fair share of jumpscares, but primarily it's about wandering the mostly-empty mansion of a clearly disturbed person as physical reality becomes increasingly flexible in how it functions. No action mechanics, gameplay involves some very light puzzle-solving that's usually focused on exploration (like Gone Home, except slightly more involved). Nothing is chasing you... but there are signs that something is prowling about, all the same.

Unfortunately, it ends sort of abruptly with a "thank you for playing" message, as the game itself is not actually complete yet. Frankly, though, the rest of the game was good enough that I don't even care if that was the final ending.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Acne Rain posted:

Speaking of horror games with unique mechanics, I recently discovered a flash game called entity that I think is some well made and some creepy poo poo. No jump scares or gore here, nice pixel art graphics and chip tune music, and can get pretty hectic.

It's about sleep paralysis, a goon favorite malady.

I'll give a tip, though I haven't beaten the third wave: Take a good look at the "how to play" section and remember those keys, try them when nothing else seems to be working.

I couldn't stop getting choked. ):

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Len posted:

I couldn't stop getting choked. ):
You gotta turn off the tv. I couldn't get the spider off my face and that made me pretty sad.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Niggurath posted:

You gotta turn off the tv. I couldn't get the spider off my face and that made me pretty sad.

check the book of monsters for hints, it records every creature you've encountered.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wanton Spoon posted:

I just played Layers of Fear and it's really good. And it's also weird how well it fits exactly into the type of game people are describing on this page. It's got its fair share of jumpscares, but primarily it's about wandering the mostly-empty mansion of a clearly disturbed person as physical reality becomes increasingly flexible in how it functions. No action mechanics, gameplay involves some very light puzzle-solving that's usually focused on exploration (like Gone Home, except slightly more involved). Nothing is chasing you... but there are signs that something is prowling about, all the same.

Unfortunately, it ends sort of abruptly with a "thank you for playing" message, as the game itself is not actually complete yet. Frankly, though, the rest of the game was good enough that I don't even care if that was the final ending.
This sounds awesome, thanks thread for letting me know about it! How "finished" does the game feel up until where it ends, is that the only reason it's in early access?

e: also Fran Bow is great so far. I hadn't played it since the original demo, and they've really polished it. So my earlier comment about her being mostly expressionless or just irritated around all the crazy stuff that's happening doesn't really apply now, they added in a ton of animations and little touches.

I really love the way the pills mechanic is implemented, it lends itself very well to point and click puzzle solving. Point and click horror is something that needs to happen more, and this one seems to get pretty horrifying from what I've seen so far.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 29, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RightClickSaveAs posted:

This sounds awesome, thanks thread for letting me know about it! How "finished" does the game feel up until where it ends, is that the only reason it's in early access?

e: also Fran Bow is great so far. I hadn't played it since the original demo, and they've really polished it. So my earlier comment about her being mostly expressionless or just irritated around all the crazy stuff that's happening doesn't really apply now, they added in a ton of animations and little touches.

I really love the way the pills mechanic is implemented, it lends itself very well to point and click puzzle solving. Point and click horror is something that needs to happen more, and this one seems to get pretty horrifying from what I've seen so far.

I'm running on basically zero sleep today. But at least that made the shadow in the second screenshot more double take worthy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i still remember how the protogamergaters used the lack of an actual threat hunting you in gone home as a talking point over how it was Not A Game

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gone home is a lovely game regardless of homophobes being mad about the plot

Wanderer posted:

I think half of them are just salty about the ghost-story bait-and-switch, and I can almost see the value in that criticism, but then they take it off into the wastelands of Poor Critical Thinking.

i am salty about this red herring.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Aug 29, 2015

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Phobophilia posted:

i still remember how the protogamergaters used the lack of an actual threat hunting you in gone home as a talking point over how it was Not A Game

I think half of them are just salty about the ghost-story bait-and-switch, and I can almost see the value in that criticism, but then they take it off into the wastelands of Poor Critical Thinking.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
There are things Gone Home did right. The creepy atmosphere, the dysfunctional family, the fear that your baby sister had done something crazy and hurt herself hits a good emotional note.

Yes, the ultimate reason for everything was ultimately mundane, but it's possible to play up both the mundanity and mystery at the same time.

My biggest problem was that the love story wasn't that convincing, and how they would repeatedly break the narrative fourth wall. Most of the narrative was diegetic, you find notes lying around, and the player character would occasionally monologue to herself. But then at random timepoints, the player character/player would psychically connect with the sister and the sister would monologue her story to you. This repeatedly broke immersion, and tells me they were trying to cheat with their writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Yardbomb posted:

The problem is that if you don't let people know ahead of time, you get a billion angry Steam reviews bitching that they couldn't properly scream and cry with the lack of spooky pop-out monsters.

The biggest problem with these games, at least from a development standpoint, is that when you make these walking simulators with no actual gameplay, Youtube becomes your number one source of piracy.