Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jsor posted:

But don't comment.

Never comment.

→ Tell me what you think in the comments below!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Kyle, you are the best. The Best. :allears:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So Lindsey Ellis is writing reviews now for THe Mary Sue. First up, Minotaur starring Tom Hardy: http://www.themarysue.com/i-watched-it-for-you-minotaur/

SatansBestBuddy posted:

→ Tell me what you think in the comments below!

FIRST1

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 28, 2015

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
I remember her twitter horror over the wig a while back. She wasn't kidding, that thing's a horror.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

nine-gear crow posted:

Pretty much everything I've seen of either of them comes from folks like Hbomberguy and the like just using their own quotes against them, so I don't know if Owen has said anything gobsmackingly gross like Aurini does on a daily basis.

"[Anita Sarkeesian] has learned to smile like a white person."

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

KKall posted:

Maybe a fiction piece based on the phenomenon? The subculture is probably rich enough to wring a good story.

The Blip has sailed, but I'm sure something will eventually get transferred to Youtube...

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

That sounds like a quote from a robot novel.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Violet_Sky posted:

ToddintheShadows reviews a pointless dance song! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQXNJBczhHE

Quoting again because this got buried.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Holy poo poo, that internet reviewer 'Antisocial Network' movie idea was hilarious. I'm actually inspired to write an outline about the rise and fall of a fictional internet movie critic and his empire. I'm trying to write a couple of ideas to make it sound good so if anyone's willing to brainstorm with me, then go ahead.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I stand corrected...

This on the other hand, just... No words, they should have sent a poet critic :golfclap:

Never leave us, Kyle. Ever.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Junior Jr. posted:

Holy poo poo, that internet reviewer 'Antisocial Network' movie idea was hilarious. I'm actually inspired to write an outline about the rise and fall of a fictional internet movie critic and his empire. I'm trying to write a couple of ideas to make it sound good so if anyone's willing to brainstorm with me, then go ahead.

The Hollywood reporter did a great story about Harry Knowles and AICN a few years back.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Hbomberguy posted:

You're making a new video on them right? It would own.

Your first video definitely got to Aurini, as he eventually put out a tedious 40 minute video in which he mentions that the people who make fun of his toy skull and hats TOTALLY don't bother him and he's going to keep on keepin' on.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

And then he got rid of the toy skull.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Hollywood reporter did a great story about Harry Knowles and AICN a few years back.

Yeah, but I'm more focused on someone who got famous for all the wrong reasons, that's why I'm trying to build a fictional story based on NC and CA.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Hbomberguy posted:

And then he got rid of the toy skull.

Oh no, his brand!

Did we ever confirm whether he had a different toy skull in every room or if he just carried the same skull with him everywhere like a security blanket?

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

dijon du jour posted:

Oh no, his brand!

Did we ever confirm whether he had a different toy skull in every room or if he just carried the same skull with him everywhere like a security blanket?

Is there any answer to that question that makes it not weird?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Chromatic posted:

Is there any answer to that question that makes it not weird?

God no! But it does help us appreciate the flavor.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Violet_Sky posted:

Quoting again because this got buried.
Can't believe Crank Dat came out 8 years ago. I actually liked that song but I was 11 and had a really high tolerance for the loud obnoxious music that came out that year (2007 is still awesome).

Really curious as to what that next One Hit Wonderland is.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Speaking of OHW, the MMbop one got taken off Youtube in a day. :(

Does the Blip archive people were making have it?

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Jsor posted:

It took a whole day? Luxury!

Brad Jones posted:

Sorry, I had to take War Room down, because once again YouTube needs proof that I own two people sitting in a car.

No one involved with War Room flagged it. YouTube just immediately needed proof from me that I own the rights to a loving car vlog.

So, I uploaded it somewhere else. Piss off.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have to wonder what would it take to change this part of YouTube.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Heat death of the universe.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

A few billion dollars to buy enough lobbyists and lawmakers to buy the laws you need to counteract the ones you've already bought.

And about a trillion or so to buy Disney.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

lornekates posted:

A few billion dollars to buy enough lobbyists and lawmakers to buy the laws you need to counteract the ones you've already bought.

And about a trillion or so to buy Disney.

I'll start a Patreon.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Everyone in the world agreeing never to upload anything that isn't theirs.

The interesting (ironic?) thing is that Brad's videos are the sort of stuff that YouTube doesn't have to worry about. Everyone else's "this is a review but I'll show you so much that you don't have to watch the movie" poo poo is why Content ID exists.

It's like why, pre-Steam, there was so much DRM. Because everyone can and will download whatever they want for free.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Jsor posted:

Does the Blip archive people were making have it?

At the very least it's in my personal collection. I uploaded it here. Some else asked for SF Debris' Madoka Magicka Rebellion review so here it is as well: part 1, part 2.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Should we keep a running tally of reviewers are still out of action because of Blip?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 29, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of SFDebris, he uploaded his World War Z review to YouTube. Since it's a book with no copyrighted footage to have taken down, it should be safe there, and I imagine the Rise and Fall of the Comics Empire will make it's way onto YouTube as well. Though given Brad just had his stuff taken down for no reason, who knows what will and won't stay up.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Someone on the Channel Awesome forums asked about how the data saved by the Archive Team will be made accessible. I thought you guys might also be interested in knowing:

Mr.Radar posted:

I actually wasn't too clear on this myself, so I asked. Apparently for now these archived files will only be available in raw WARC format here: https://archive.org/details/archiveteam_blip. The WARC format is to web requests what the ZIP format is to regular files: a container containing both the metadata (e.g. the original URL/content length or file name/file size respectively) and the actual data (response or file data, respectively). There are tools that let you load a WARC and access it through your web browser as if you were accessing the original site and there are others which let you extract the raw data (I have had warcat recommended to me for that). Maybe eventually the videos' pages will be added to the Wayback Machine or the raw videos will be extracted and added to the Internet Archive's video collection, but that is not currently planned (as far as I am aware). Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lornekates posted:

It took a whole day? Luxury!

Well youtube needed proof that Brad owned the rights to the interior of the car. Maybe <insert car brand here> didn't want the interior of their product to be in a vlog that may make the brand look bad.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

BigRed0427 posted:

Should we keep a running tally of reviewers are still out of action because of Blip?

Currently, I can think of SF Debris, the Media Hunter, and the Isle of Rangoon off the top of my head.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Isle of Rangoon is on YouTube and Dailymotion. You can see for yourself on their website. As for Brad's situation, it seems it's only happening to videos for recent movies. Maybe he could do something like Linkara is doing and put the recent stuff on Screenwave and then later put it on YouTube. Just a thought.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Leal posted:

Well youtube needed proof that Brad owned the rights to the interior of the car. Maybe <insert car brand here> didn't want the interior of their product to be in a vlog that may make the brand look bad.

Maybe they saw the dome light turning off after ten minutes as a recall-worthy flaw.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Mraagvpeine posted:

Isle of Rangoon is on YouTube and Dailymotion. You can see for yourself on their website.

Technically speaking the Rangoons' stuff is split between those and Springboard, however not everything is on any one host and the site is still using the nonexistent blip videos in many cases meaning a good deal of their stuff is still MIA at the moment unfortunately. Their situation isn't as bad as Isaac's or SF Debris' mind you but they did get hit hard nonetheless and are basically out of action until this mess gets sorted out.

The only reviewer I'm familiar with that didn't get screwed by this shutdown was Linkara and that's only because, as I've noted before, he stopped using Blip as the primary host for his site and was already in the process of transferring his stuff to Screenwave so by the time Blip was shutdown he only had to replace embed codes on his site.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

BigRed0427 posted:

So Lindsey Ellis is writing reviews now for THe Mary Sue. First up, Minotaur starring Tom Hardy: http://www.themarysue.com/i-watched-it-for-you-minotaur/

FIRST1

Whatever happened to Lindsey in the last few years anyway? I've been out of the loop on CA and That Guy for a while. Did she end up leaving?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DeusExMachinima posted:

Whatever happened to Lindsey in the last few years anyway? I've been out of the loop on CA and That Guy for a while. Did she end up leaving?

She drifted away from her Nostalgia Chick persona and eventually just started doing reviews as herself with an eye towards subjecting films to actual captal-C Criticism instead of being the "Female Doug" gimmick the CA brass wanted her to be. About a year and a half or so ago she broke off from CA and set up Chez Apocalypse, taking a chunk of the popular CA talent with her (Kyle, Rantsmo, Folding Ideas, Paw, Maven & Nella, Todd, what have you). She also got a few jobs in "Traditional" media, including some brief voice acting work on Pokemon. Yep.

Now she's one of The Mary Sue's two film reviewers, the other one being Lesley Coffin, who just going by most of the headlines she writes for her reviews, seems to despise all forms of popular cinema on a level that would make even Mike Stoklasa blush.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 29, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

She also got a few jobs in "Traditional" media, including some brief voice acting work on Pokemon. Yep.

I believe the main role was editing Pokemon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

lornekates posted:

I'd heard that too, though IMDB only seems to list an acting credit for it. So, take that bit with a grain of salt. At the very least, she did something related to the Pokemon anime.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

She drifted away from her Nostalgia Chick persona and eventually just started doing reviews as herself with an eye towards subjecting films to actual captal-C Criticism instead of being the "Female Doug" gimmick the CA brass wanted her to be. About a year and a half or so ago she broke off from CA and set up Chez Apocalypse, taking a chunk of the popular CA talent with her (Kyle, Rantsmo, Folding Ideas, Paw, Maven & Nella, Todd, what have you). She also got a few jobs in "Traditional" media, including some brief voice acting work on Pokemon. Yep.

Wait I thought she was a consultant on Pokemon? Or at least was involved in the production side of things rather than the talent. I just remember she was semi-"hush hush" about it, which if it was just VA work would be counter productive, as VA's want to promote the shows they've been in, not try and be coy about it.

lornekates posted:

yeah that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Wait I thought she was a consultant on Pokemon? Or at least was involved in the production side of things rather than the talent. I just remember she was semi-"hush hush" about it, which if it was just VA work would be counter productive, as VA's want to promote the shows they've been in, not try and be coy about it.

I'm pretty sure the voice acting union (or are there more?) is a reason.

• Locked thread