Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

interesting but I would like to point out that it is I who am rubber while you are glue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I specifically said no backsies you can't do that, l'm gonna tell mom if you don't stop!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Raven, that's all very nice, and I am sure you believe you're doing what you need to in order to keep your family safe. But we are not you, and all the evidence we have available says that the single largest threat to the health and well-being of your family... is you.

So you may believe you have a good reason to own a gun. But statistically, even if we hold the exact same values you do, we have an even stronger reason to not let you have one, especially in light of the living situation you just described. (if you were actually involved with drug dealers, gangsters or criminals, you'd actually have a stronger case)

So, on one side we have your claim you would only use it as a last resort and that it would help protect your family. On the other side we have the evidence that people like you in your situation have, traditionally, been significantly more likely to be a threat to your family than the violent home invade you're worried about.

Can you at least see where I am coming from, in light of the evidence, if I believe you should not have a weapon?

(Also, please say you keep the guns locked up and unloaded)

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Raven, that's all very nice, and I am sure you believe you're doing what you need to in order to keep your family safe. But we are not you, and all the evidence we have available says that the single largest threat to the health and well-being of your family... is you.

So you may believe you have a good reason to own a gun. But statistically, even if we hold the exact same values you do, we have an even stronger reason to not let you have one, especially in light of the living situation you just described. (if you were actually involved with drug dealers, gangsters or criminals, you'd actually have a stronger case)

So, on one side we have your claim you would only use it as a last resort and that it would help protect your family. On the other side we have the evidence that people like you in your situation have, traditionally, been significantly more likely to be a threat to your family than the violent home invade you're worried about.

Can you at least see where I am coming from, in light of the evidence, if I believe you should not have a weapon?

All those stats are thrown off by Trash. If you're not Trash, you owning guns doesn't make you a danger to your family. I got the strong impression from raven's post that he is a decent parent, not prone to violence etc. When people act like a gun owner like that is putting their kids in danger it strikes me as self-conscious bullshit.

Bottom line, do not begrudge black people gun ownership when they are trying to have a decent life and family. You are not dealing with the threats they deal with, period. They do not need to put themselves at the mercy of whites for the benefit of your utopian vision.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SedanChair posted:

All those stats are thrown off by Trash. If you're not Trash, you owning guns doesn't make you a danger to your family. I got the strong impression from raven's post that he is a decent parent, not prone to violence etc. When people act like a gun owner like that is putting their kids in danger it strikes me as self-conscious bullshit.

Bottom line, do not begrudge black people gun ownership when they are trying to have a decent life and family. You are not dealing with the threats they deal with, period. They do not need to put themselves at the mercy of whites for the benefit of your utopian vision.

Actual black people and black organizations tend to largely support stronger gun control than the average. Why do you think this is?

raven4267
May 7, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

Yes, I can see and understand where you are coming from. I just don't agree with it. To be honest, in the real world the statistics you speak of are meaningless to me. Like I said before, my number one concern is the safety of my family. Just like with anything else, there are irresponsible people who shouldn't have guns. Just like there are people who shouldn't drive cars, or shouldn't drink, or shouldn't do many other things. I guess I just don't believe that everybody should be restricted from doing something just because of the actions of a small minority of stupid or irresponsible people. In a perfect world, there would be no need for guns. Unfortunately, I don't live in this perfect world and I have to take steps that I feel is necessary to protect the safety of my family. I can't live my life by statistics, only my own personal experience.

Speaking of statistics, would you agree that you are statistically more likely to be the victim of a violent crime if you live in a high crime urban area?

You are right, you don't know me. It does not matter what the statistics say, I would never harm my family. If you choose not believe that, then that is your own personal choice. There are evil people out there that do not care about harming others to get what they want, and I can't depend on anybody else to protect my family from them. My daughter is my entire world, and I would give my life in a heartbeat to protect her. If something happened to her, especially something that I could have somehow prevented, then I would probably end up a statistic that you are talking about, because I would have no reason to go on. I do what I feel is necessary to protect my family from harm. I am sure you do the same thing. If you feel like having a gun in your house is too dangerous, that is your own personal choice and I support your decision completely. It is great that a lot of people live in areas were home invasions or other criminal activity are not a concern to them. Some people here act like that even worrying about being a victim of something makes you a paranoid lunatic. I personally feel this is a very privileged stance to take on the subject.

You better believe that gun safety is a priority for both my wife and myself. The safety of my family includes being safe with my firearms. All off our guns besides our conceal carry pieces are stored safely. My conceal piece I carry everywhere that I am legally allowed to carry it, and it is loaded with a round in the chamber. I have never once had to pull out my CCW, and I hope I never have too. I have noticed that it has actually made me more aware of my surroundings due to the fact that I don't want to put myself in a situation where it is necessary to use it.

When my daughter is old enough, I also plan to drill gun safety into her head and teach her how to responsibly handle firearms, because there will be a time where she will be personally responsible for her own safety, and I want her to be able to responsibly make that decision for herself whether or not she wants to use a firearm for her own personal protection.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The stats are thrown off by Trash, who are a distinctly different and non-consubstantial group from the Average Gun Owner, and who do all the bad things. By the way, I am opposed to any mechanism which prevents the Trash, who are not like the good ones and do all the bad things, from owning as many of whatever firearm they desire.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Tezzor posted:

Actual black people and black organizations tend to largely support stronger gun control than the average. Why do you think this is?

Maybe black people have different opinions on various subjects?

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

raven4267 posted:

Maybe black people have different opinions on various subjects?

I never denied that they did. I asked why you think most disagree with you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Monaghan posted:

you fuckers can't take my gundams.

Good thing Gundams are made of paper mache and thus all under 35 tons.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Tezzor posted:

I never denied that they did. I asked why you think most disagree with you.

I don't know, maybe you should ask them. I don't speak for other people, just myself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

They're dopes like most Americans.

Tezzor posted:

The stats are thrown off by Trash, who are a distinctly different and non-consubstantial group from the Average Gun Owner, and who do all the bad things. By the way, I am opposed to any mechanism which prevents the Trash, who are not like the good ones and do all the bad things, from owning as many of whatever firearm they desire.

Correct, let life transpire in all its majesty and danger.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

raven4267 posted:

I don't know, maybe you should ask them. I don't speak for other people, just myself.

I have my own theories as to why, I'm asking for a theory from you as to this discrepancy. SedanChair seems to believe it is because they are stupid. Do you agree?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tezzor posted:

I have my own theories as to why, I'm asking for a theory from you as to this discrepancy. SedanChair seems to believe it is because they are stupid. Do you agree?

That's pretty aggressively disingenuous there.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Tezzor posted:

If you really want to know what my personal theory on why all people favor gun control, not just black people in general, it is due to fear of guns and a lack of education about them. Maybe people who live in high crime areas think that passing new laws will stop the criminals who terrorize them on a daily basis. I really don't know. I definitely don't think any new laws will stop anyone who is most likely already breaking the law by having a firearm.

I honestly have only owned guns for the past 4 years or so, and it started out with me inheriting a couple of rifles and a shotgun from my gramps. I have noticed that there are people out there who will automatically have a great dislike of you when they find out that you own a gun, no matter what kind of person you really are. The only reason why that I can figure is fear of guns in general.

Since I told you my theory, would you mind telling me yours?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

raven4267 posted:

You can get a hint of Tezzor's worldview by his use of the phrase "actual black people." To Tezzor, only Carlton-rear end sellout blacks would own a gun. Real blacks are closer to the earth, and have a rude wisdom that lets them cut to the heart of the matter, and offer sage counsel to the white protagonist.

Tezzor believes more black people support gun control because he subscribes to Magical Negro theory.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

raven4267 posted:

If you really want to know what my personal theory on why all people favor gun control, not just black people in general, it is due to fear of guns and a lack of education about them. Maybe people who live in high crime areas think that passing new laws will stop the criminals who terrorize them on a daily basis. I really don't know. I definitely don't think any new laws will stop anyone who is most likely already breaking the law by having a firearm.

I honestly have only owned guns for the past 4 years or so, and it started out with me inheriting a couple of rifles and a shotgun from my gramps. I have noticed that there are people out there who will automatically have a great dislike of you when they find out that you own a gun, no matter what kind of person you really are. The only reason why that I can figure is fear of guns in general.

Sure. My theory is twofold: first the racist right wing belligerence of most gun advocates tends to put them off in general, and more importantly that it's logical that the people who are statistically most at risk of violence and who have suffered the most as a result of violence would be generally more in favor of restricting the most effective tools with which to commit violence than people whose experience with them is mostly as fun toys to coo and hoot at when they make loud noise

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I heard there was a happening thread in here.

ASK ME: How fun it is to shoot WWII era milsurp

It's pretty damned fun.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

You can get a hint of Tezzor's worldview by his use of the phrase "actual black people." To Tezzor, only Carlton-rear end sellout blacks would own a gun. Real blacks are closer to the earth, and have a rude wisdom that lets them cut to the heart of the matter, and offer sage counsel to the white protagonist.

Tezzor believes more black people support gun control because he subscribes to Magical Negro theory.

And you said Tezzor translating "dopes" as "stupid" was disingenuous?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

point of return posted:

And you said Tezzor translating "dopes" as "stupid" was disingenuous?

Obviously when Sedan called them dopes he meant it as a short hand for dope-user. So he only meant they were drug addicts, not stupid.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Raven how do you feel about smart guns?

No one in this thread will talk to me about smart guns.

Pew pew pew.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
Given that handguns cause the vast majority of gun crime, and rifles cause virtually none, I propose a "Pistol for AR-15" government exchange program.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
I'll support smartguns when they are reliable enough for police to use them.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

thanks OP

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tumblr.txt posted:

I'll support smartguns when they are reliable enough for police to use them.
Maybe if police didn't have the "they takin' are guns!" excuse they'd shoot fewer unarmed black children.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LeeMajors posted:

I'm going to explain this in the most remedial terms so you fucks can understand it:

Guns exist purely for the purpose of killing other people and make deadly violence as easy as pulling a trigger. It is different than other methods of homicide because it is far, far, far easier to exact significant deadly violence with a minimum of effort. It is okay to legislate to make murder as difficult as possible--especially in regards to items that exist only for the purpose of killing.

Goddrat.

Nah.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

tumblr.txt posted:

Given that handguns cause the vast majority of gun crime, and rifles cause virtually none, I propose a "Pistol for AR-15" government exchange program.

No, better to crack down on the shoulder things that go up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

RuanGacho posted:

Raven how do you feel about smart guns?

No one in this thread will talk to me about smart guns.

Pew pew pew.

Smartguns are basically techno-fetishism that "solves" a problem that doesn't exist.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fog Tripper posted:

No, better to crack down on the shoulder things that go up.

That's the stock, sweety.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

Smartguns are basically techno-fetishism that "solves" a problem that doesn't exist.

I can assure you that cops shooting people they shouldn't is a problem that exists.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

I can assure you that cops shooting people they shouldn't is a problem that exists.

Smartguns won't solve that. And it's incredibly naive to think technology ever solves a social problem.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

That's the stock, sweety.

No, its the barrel shroud, hon.
Don't get all gun otaku with me. :nyd:

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 29, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LeeMajors posted:

Guns exist purely for the purpose of killing other people and make deadly violence as easy as pulling a trigger.

What???

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Smartguns are okay as long as they don't have any pretension of IFF and just shoot any motherfucker who fails the paperbag test.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

Smartguns won't solve that. And it's incredibly naive to think technology ever solves a social problem.

Sure they will, we just need to program the smart gun to never, ever fire when in the hands of a cop and then issue them to cops. Boom, problem completely solved.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

You see, target shooting is just practice for killing people which is literally the same thing as killing people, also I am noted retard effectronica.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

Sure they will, we just need to program the smart gun to never, ever fire when in the hands of a cop and then issue them to cops. Boom, problem completely solved.

I found one.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

I found one.

Paint it chrome and black and it'll fool most cops.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was doing some reading just now about guns and I was shocked to learn that guns can be used to kill things. I learned that guns have been used in conflicts large and small all over the world for the express purpose of killing. Did you know that guns shoot "bullets" which are small pieces of metal designed to cause injuries and even death? Really shocking, not sure what to think about guns anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I was doing some reading just now about guns and I was shocked to learn that guns can be used to kill things. I learned that guns have been used in conflicts large and small all over the world for the express purpose of killing. Did you know that guns shoot "bullets" which are small pieces of metal designed to cause injuries and even death? Really shocking, not sure what to think about guns anymore.

Thanks for the info, this is surprising and I'll have to look into it.

• Locked thread