Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
It's not big enough to illuminate a FF sensor even if the glass covered, but I think it's here to stay as a crop mount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Radbot posted:

Ask yourself if you want a viewfinder, and how much fancy video features mean to you. If they mean something, go with an RX100III or IV, if they don't, go with an OG model.

Yeah, I'm good with the base model. The II seems to get much more rave reviews due to the sensor, but those reviews also question if it's $150 better of a camera. I offered $300 for the "gently used" base model and it looks like he's going to take it. So long as the thing isn't a brick in a camera box or I don't get just straight-up robbed, I'm excited to have a real camera and go through the beginner content on this forum. Thanks a ton to those who helped navigate me to this camera.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 22, 2015

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

Thorpe posted:

Tonight I am listening to the thread title and am buying a Pentax ME. Pretty excited about it.

$35 worth of hail satans later

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

Fred Miranda has shitloads of Fuji gear up there all the time, though it goes fast. Look there if you need some used gear.

Buying there as a new member is kind of a pain in the rear end, though. I send a guy money for an X-T1 body over a week ago, and he hemmed and hawed about actually shipping it to me because I had 1 post and no feedback. Eventually tonight he decided to refund my money, saying he "couldn't take the risk". :wtc:

In a related note, if anyone has an X-T1 they want to sell I have money just sitting in my dumb paypal account now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Red_Fred posted:

I've always had this notion in my head that the kit lenses are generally garbage as that is often the case with DSLRs. Which of the variable aperture X mount lenses are a good starting point?
Modern kits lenses are just fine, Fuji's are just a cut above.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
Hey guys you think this legit:

He/she/they emailed me a phone number. Should I call/text?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Thorpe posted:

gently caress yeah

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Meet someplace super public or you gonna get robbed. I won't do a CL cash deal over $50 anywhere but my locked security cam covered office or like a busy Starbucks.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

8th-snype posted:

Meet someplace super public or you gonna get robbed. I won't do a CL cash deal over $50 anywhere but my locked security cam covered office or like a busy Starbucks.

It seems so ridiculous it has to be fake. I mean best case scenario is that its probably stolen. I gave a friend the phone number and he's gonna follow up. I hope he doesn't get murdered!

junidog
Feb 17, 2004

How'd he take 4 pictures if it doesn't have a lens?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

junidog posted:

How'd he take 4 pictures if it doesn't have a lens?

That's why his iPhone takes better pics

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
he's talking about the four pictures he took of the camera with his phone

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

That's fake, the thumbnails doesn't work.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, specifically compared to the Canon 24-70 f2.8 mkI? They seem to go for roughly the same money used. The VC would be nice and IQ looks good in reviews but I've read enough complaints about the AF to be a bit wary. I would be using it for sports/event/concert shooting so good tracking AF is important. I haven't ever used a Tamron lens so I'm not sure how solid the AF is. Any thoughts?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have any experience with the Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, specifically compared to the Canon 24-70 f2.8 mkI? They seem to go for roughly the same money used. The VC would be nice and IQ looks good in reviews but I've read enough complaints about the AF to be a bit wary. I would be using it for sports/event/concert shooting so good tracking AF is important. I haven't ever used a Tamron lens so I'm not sure how solid the AF is. Any thoughts?

I've been generally very happy with it - AF has been quick enough and accurate for me. I use it mostly for photos of my kids on the move, so I'm not sure how it would keep up with faster moving action like sports, but preschool age kids get about. The IQ is a bit better than the MK1 Canon, and the VC is very very good (the MK2 Canon smokes them both, but $$ and no stabilization)

I have also seen complaints on the gear forums about people getting bum AF, so maybe you would have to send one back and I'm lucky, but I was perfectly happy with the first one I got. YMMV as always.

My neighbors had me taking pictures at their daughters birthday party a few weeks ago and it was plenty quick enough here as well. (6D, all points tracking) Very few tossed for bad focus.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The image stabilization isn't going to do much good for sports and concerts.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

timrenzi574 posted:

I've been generally very happy with it - AF has been quick enough and accurate for me.

Cool, thanks for the write up. I'm not sure if tracking kids is quite the same as, say, tracking a college level basketball player driving the basket but its definitely good to see that it can keep up with a decent level of movement, at least. Some of the stuff I've been reading made it sound like any subject that wasn't perfectly still was impossible to follow.

HPL posted:

The image stabilization isn't going to do much good for sports and concerts.

Sure, I'm aware. It's just a nice additional feature for other types of shooting that may come up. That and the slightly better average IQ were what was making me consider the Tammy over the Canon mk I.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm going to be buying a Sigma 12-24 for an upcoming trip to Germany. Anyone have strong feelings or preferences between the old and new one?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Thorpe posted:

Pure awesome. I love the brown-leather wrapper, and the extra-old-school-lookin' silver-body lens. What lens is that?

Post LOTS in the film thread, please.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

ExecuDork posted:

Pure awesome. I love the brown-leather wrapper, and the extra-old-school-lookin' silver-body lens. What lens is that?

Post LOTS in the film thread, please.

I was originally looking for a normal black leather wrapped one but this is the first one that popped up under my $50 film-camera impulse buy. I put my fa 77mm on it for this photo. It came with a 40-80mm macro that seemingly isn't the greatest but I haven't messed with it too much.

And I need to learn more about film. I've only ever shot digital and got this to mostly keep on my desk. Need to look into different films and stuff.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Thorpe posted:

I was originally looking for a normal black leather wrapped one but this is the first one that popped up under my $50 film-camera impulse buy. I put my fa 77mm on it for this photo. It came with a 40-80mm macro that seemingly isn't the greatest but I haven't messed with it too much.

And I need to learn more about film. I've only ever shot digital and got this to mostly keep on my desk. Need to look into different films and stuff.

Shoot Portra 400 everyday.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Colour: Portra 400 for good, random rolls of consumer-grade Kodak / Fuji for practice
B&W: I like Ilford, pretty much anything. Kodak and Fuji also produce(d) lots of great stuff. Hard to really screw up, I think.

EDIT: ME + FA77 is baller as hell. Just do an entire roll of HP5+ or Delta 100 of portraits.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

ExecuDork posted:

Colour: Portra 400 for good, random rolls of consumer-grade Kodak / Fuji for practice
B&W: I like Ilford, pretty much anything. Kodak and Fuji also produce(d) lots of great stuff. Hard to really screw up, I think.

EDIT: ME + FA77 is baller as hell. Just do an entire roll of HP5+ or Delta 100 of portraits.

I'll have to check out some amazon prices and grab a couple rolls. Coming from digital film just seems like such a huge effort haha. Probably be good for me though. Plus it would be extremely nice to see my 77mm and especially 43mm at normal 35mm FOV. The 43mm is an amazing lens, definitely my favorite.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
How can you have an ME Super and not have a 50mm f/1.7?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

HPL posted:

How can you have an ME Super and not have a 50mm f/1.7?

Anyone that owns a set of the limited primes don't need no scrub tier 50mm. That 43mm is legit.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I found an all-black Pentax KM with a leather case and a flawless 50/1.4 on opening day at a new Goodwill this week. I nabbed it crazy cheap with the idea of selling it here, but now it has a roll of Portra in it to "test it out" and I don't think you guys are getting it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Huxley posted:

I found an all-black Pentax KM with a leather case and a flawless 50/1.4 on opening day at a new Goodwill this week. I nabbed it crazy cheap with the idea of selling it here, but now it has a roll of Portra in it to "test it out" and I don't think you guys are getting it.

Sell it and buy a MX instead.

Not joking, the MX has a much bigger, much brighter screen. It's an overall better camera. The KX is a pretty OK camera, but the MX is one of the best cameras of all time.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 31, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

How about the Fuji GS 645 medium format cameras? Anyone here used one before?

I like the idea of a fixed-lens, easy to setup and shoot medium format camera. Like a giant XA. Is that a reasonable comparison? Anything I should be aware of when I'm looking for one, like a particularly common flaw or drawback?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
All of the Fuji rangefinders are extremely cool and good.

I have a GW690, and so do a few others here, and they are super easy to set up and shoot. I would say thats a fair comparison if you completely ignore the size factor and the fact that you need an external light meter. Though I find if I am shooting outdoors in consistent light, I can just meter once, set it and forget it and then shoot away.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 1, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SMERSH Mouth posted:

How about the Fuji GS 645 medium format cameras? Anyone here used one before?

I like the idea of a fixed-lens, easy to setup and shoot medium format camera. Like a giant XA. Is that a reasonable comparison? Anything I should be aware of when I'm looking for one, like a particularly common flaw or drawback?

Yes, I have one. I actually pair it with an XA for travelling. The GS645 has a normal lens, the XA is a wider lens, and I can run two different kinds of film at the same time. The leaf shutter means that it's nice and stable, shooting at 1/30 is fairly reasonable. The rangefinder is much more accurate than the tiny base on the XA.

The original bellows weren't particularly durable and tend to have acquired pinholes by now. Also my first one had persistent shutter issues - sometimes when closing the body the shutter would trip, then when you wound forward it wouldn't always re-cock (video). KEH had it in their shop for a couple months and ended up just sending me a new one. They're definitely a bit on the temperamental side, I would definitely try to find it from someone who will warranty it for a little bit. The meter is only averaging, but that's not unusual.

Once you get past that it's a fantastic camera. You get a rangefinder with a great multicoated Planar lens and a meter built in, and it folds flat for travel. 6x4.5 isn't the biggest in the world, but with the great lens it doesn't matter so much, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the GF670 or the Plaubel Makina 67.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 2, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Does anyone know anyone who still performs annual overhaul on Nikonos-V cameras?

I thought about taking it to the beach for some amphibious shooting but I don't know if I trust the O-rings. So far I've totally struck out. It's proooobably OK especially at the surface, but I don't know for sure. Doesn't take much to flood. :smithicide:

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
Bought the Sigma 150-600. Now to think of how many 2x extenders I want to add to it...

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

Bought the Sigma 150-600. Now to think of how many 2x extenders I want to add to it...
ALL OF THEM

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

While I dwell on whether or not to lock myself into the money pit that is medium format film photography, I also dwell on getting into perspective control photography for real estate / architecture / landscape photography. In my search for shift lenses that don't cost $1000, I came across the Venus/Laowa 15mm f/4. Its big selling point is of course being an ultra wide-angle 1:1 macro, but hey, it's also got (+/- 6, usable on APS only) shift! I greatly enjoy doing macro stuff with my EF 100mm macro, but I need a good wide-angle lens in addition to a shift lens, and I've seen the UWA macro shots this lens produces are pretty striking. (I wonder what kind of things you could do with a macro that also has tilt??)

http://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-15mm-f4-wide-angle-1x-macro-lens/
There isn't much out there in the way of reviews. There seem to be only a handful of demo photos floating around out there. $479 seems like a suspiciously cheap price given the purported abilities of this lens, and they're on back order everywhere in the US, it seems. (There is an individual selling one in E-mount on eBay right now, claiming that he was disappointed with the optical performance of the lens.)

I think I'm pretty aware of what my options are for "cheap" T/S lenses are:
PC-Nikkor 28mm, OM 35mm/24mm Shift, Arax 50mm Shift, Kipon T/S adapter + MF lens, Samyang 24mm T/S (although that is getting into 'more than I want to spend' territory).

But maybe there's something I've missed?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Paul MaudDib posted:

Does anyone know anyone who still performs annual overhaul on Nikonos-V cameras?

I thought about taking it to the beach for some amphibious shooting but I don't know if I trust the O-rings. So far I've totally struck out. It's proooobably OK especially at the surface, but I don't know for sure. Doesn't take much to flood. :smithicide:

Some article sent me herr
http://www.southern-nikonos.com/index.html
Can't vouch though.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
According to this link,

http://www.chhimg.com/article/35337

The lens is very well received amongst Chinese photographers and you can see some image samples also

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I don't know about the 15mm, but the Venus macro flash is awesome. The 60mm macro has gotten enough good reviews that I think I'll get one too. Venus is probably run out of some guy's garage, but their products are definitely legit.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Anyone have any experience or a good guide on using M42/39 lenses on Canon DSLRs? I'm also looking at some Pentacon 6 Medium format lenses as well.

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 4, 2015

daspope
Sep 20, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

Anyone have any experience or a good guide on using M42/39 lenses on Canon DSLRs? I'm also looking at some Pentacon 6 Medium format lenses as well.

Most adapters are just a chunk of metal that you attach the lens to, then attach the other end of the adapter to the camera. Some have chips that enable the camera (canon) to provide focus confirmation. I read that some will also provide a focal length in the exif, but I do not really see a benefit. Most adapters will fit securely with a slight wiggle. There are some higher quality adapters by brands like metabones, but usually their price seems redundant in relation to old obscure lens prices.

I have two pentacon six lenses I use with my 5d since eBay generic adapters are cheap enough just to play with. The 180 Zeiss Jena sonar is pretty silly with its hood on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

daspope posted:

Most adapters are just a chunk of metal that you attach the lens to, then attach the other end of the adapter to the camera. Some have chips that enable the camera (canon) to provide focus confirmation. I read that some will also provide a focal length in the exif, but I do not really see a benefit. Most adapters will fit securely with a slight wiggle. There are some higher quality adapters by brands like metabones, but usually their price seems redundant in relation to old obscure lens prices.

I have two pentacon six lenses I use with my 5d since eBay generic adapters are cheap enough just to play with. The 180 Zeiss Jena sonar is pretty silly with its hood on.

I just upgraded to a 6d and was actually looking for some new glass for video. The Samyangs are nice but I figured I should just start with some old glass before dropping a grand on a set of those.