Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Hahaha drat. I might do that with this guy. It's was fun arguing with him when it was all crystal healing and hollow earth poo poo, but now its all every mass shooting is a false flag and all the victims were fake and the 'survivors' are lying etc. Plus he has enough friends that are into the same bullshit that any time anyone disagrees with it they are drowned out by a bunch of people going ...

I've seen similar things happen with conspiracy people/groups. Where they start off believing some wacky but generally inoffensive stuff, but slowly become more politicized and well, reactionary. It seems like conspiracy theories and people have become more reactionary in recent years, so people who were once sure the government was lying about UFOs are now sure the government is lying about the coming race war against white people or whatever.

Like UN, nwo conspiracies have been a big subcurrent since the 90s, at least, and you had Birchers before that, but it seems like they've 1. grown more popular, and 2. have become more distinctly politicized (i.e., it's not just a vague nwo of (possibly extraterrestrial) elites, it's specifically the Jews using black and gay people to destroy white civilization) and conservative. Are they more reactionary, or am I just being naive and it's always been this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The disinformation conspiracy theories have pretty much always been reactionary. Part of that is because modern CTs started in nationalist, Republican secret societies. They wanted to move away from multinational, multiethnic "old" kingdoms towards modern, culturally monolithic Republics. Plus they actually were working against a complex, highly powerful group of people whose power rested, in part, because they were all related. They just applied that same template to other groups they didn't like. The most famous example would be the Jews (always a convenient populist punching bag) and things like the "Protocols of the Elders of Zion". Catholics got similar treatment in Protestant countries and high profile bacchanal societies (like the Masons) had similar treatments in Catholic countries.

Befitting its heritage, America got a huge mix of all of those CTs. Once Communism came onto the scene, the same script worked again. It didn't help that the 3rd International really was a centralized organization. The Birchers came along and fused all of that into one giant ball of poo poo and that's what we've had to work with ever since.

It had the added effect of reinforcing the official narrative. When "conspiracy theorists" are seen as a bunch of racist gun nuts masterbating over the idea of gold-backed currency, rational people are much more likely to accept the official narrative since they know that they aren't one of those crazy fucks. It reinforces the status quo by making any ideological alternative look like madness.

In a way, Birchers, Preppers and militia crazies are victims as much as any of us. They are unwitting tools of a system that holds them in absolute contempt.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Shbobdb posted:

In a way, Birchers, Preppers and militia crazies are victims as much as any of us. They are unwitting tools of a system that holds them in absolute contempt.

They are also so terrible that it's hard to have any sympathy.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yes, they are undeniably terrible. But people talking about RaHoWa are people that have suffered from the current Neo-Liberal paradigm. And they are right to be critical of the modern surveillance state because they will absolutely 100% be on the short end of that stick.

It's important to separate the rubes from the Bohemian Grove satanists. They are also hardcore "conspiracy theorists", since their power comes from occult practices and/or communion with extradimensional forces. Those are the people we should be hating. Not some poor white dude who interprets the erosion of his privilege and is suffering as much, if not more, than most of us from the collapse of social mobility. While we ought hold them in contempt, we should temper that contempt with pity. They're like the ISIS rank-and-file. Sure, what they do is utterly reprehensible but they are working against their own interests because they have been duped. They aren't evil, just operating from a fundamentally incorrect understanding of the world.

Which is also why CTs are important. We need to work on creating a better understanding of the world and how it works. If we continue to accept the official narrative, a narrative created by malicious forces who do not have our best interests at heart (it doesn't matter if the people manipulating the media are the capitalist class, lizard people from Sirius, the Eternal Jew, satanists trying to recreate the Martian experiment,or some combination thereof) we'll continue to be duped and fall into similar forms of madness. Is state sanctioned violence like the war on Iraq or paramilitary groups in South America really that much better than ISIS? As an American, I'm complacent in that poo poo, even if I opposed it. Understanding the forces that create that evil is super important.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ugh, crazy on my facebook is running with this, including some dumb thing where the boyfriend tweeted about the reporter dying before it happened, easily explained by twitter changing timestamps based on which time zone you are currently in.

Also harping on the "crisis actors" thing that pops up for every disaster ever now apparently, because the boyfriend wasn't emotional enough during an interview.

So the guy thinks the boyfriend, the news anchor, also happens to be a crisis actor? So they planted him years ago to get a job there and then get into a relationship with the journalist so he could harp it up for the main event?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

zakharov posted:

Did this thread ever catch a moon landing conspiracy True Believer? I know it's gotten 9/11 and JFK people every now and then...

Don't worry, I'm sure shbobdb can simulate one for us some day

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's really just better to re-watch The Shining if you want some hardcore Moon Landing denial.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Shbobdb is the best poster here.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I really respect how you can transition from reasonableness to outright nutjobbery so smoothly.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Mega Comrade posted:

So the guy thinks the boyfriend, the news anchor, also happens to be a crisis actor? So they planted him years ago to get a job there and then get into a relationship with the journalist so he could harp it up for the main event?
It's pretty much the same thing that was mentioned a couple pages ago:

Smoothrich posted:

Yeah my gfs friend recently said outta nowhere hey did u kno the ISIS beheading video was staged by the CIA? It's on Facebook! I then asked her about the dozens of other graphic executions I've watched, explaining them in detail like the drowning and bomb collars, and how 300,000 civilians are dead and the ongoing sexual slavery of women in Syria, etc until she basically looked like she was gonna throw up. Hearts and minds..

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

It's a perfect example of conspiracy theory as comforting fantasy. There's no horrible, brutal, nightmarish war. It's just actors :unsmith:

The video is literally a guy murdering two people, and coming to terms with that is loving hard, so "they're just actors, they weren't really murdered on a video I just watched" is an easier thought to deal with.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Part of it is people don't die the way we've been shown they do. No dramatic soliloquy, no getting tossed around, and generally no chance to make your peace with it. You just stop existing. It's easy to understand why people would prefer that to be fake rather than not.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Peztopiary posted:

No dramatic soliloquy

I don't know about you, but I'm going to be real annoyed if I don't get to at least make one final quip.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Either these curtains go or I do.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

On the whole, I'd rather be in Philadelphia.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Hashtag....

....yolo...

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

:psyduck:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Someone linked this over in the pseudoscience thread, but it fits in perfectly here too: The ConspiraSea cruise! Yes, that's the real name, and it appears to be a real thing. Guest speakers include a bunch of loving nutjobs. The main name that jumped out at me is Andrew Wakefield, of fake vaccine study fame.

If you're playing the conspiracy theory drinking game, go ahead and call the paramedics now.

quote:

Our "Conspira-Sea Cruise and Seminar-at-Sea" takes place right on our luxury cruise ship during our seven-day cruise, in conference rooms on the ship, and during our port calls in Mexico.

During this incredible, mind-blowing, truth-telling, spiritually enriching event, we will do our best to uncover the truth about things conspiratorial, including:

GMOs, Monsanto, bee colony collapse, ecology, global warming, climate change, fracking, HIV, autism, big pharma, medical suppression, vaccinations, flouridation, political corruption, government corruption, forbidden archeology, forbidden religion, Federal Reserve, truth about money, World Bank, IRS, strawman, property title, admiralty law, martial law, Bohemian Grove, Skull and Bones, JFK, cover-ups, September 11, Star Wars agenda, nuclear plants, chemtrails, HAARP, crop circles, IRS, MK-Ultra, Fukashima, NASA, NSA, Bilderbergs, sustainability, military industrial complex, pentagon, Waco, Malaysia 370, Pan Am 103, TWA 800, Gulf Oil Spill, Halliburton, Obama, Ruby Ridge, OK City, Vatican, New World Order, false flags, Montauk, privacy, surveillance, Area 51, Dulce, Project Rainbow, Nazi Bell, Vrill, U.S.S. Eldridge, Iron Mountain, psyops, population mangement, subliminal ads, Nibiru / Planet X, Cointel Pro, technology suppression, entity possession, electoral fraud, identity chips, 2nd amendment, and so much more.

Plus we will explore how to heal ourselves and others, and to attain self-mastery and greater integrity through:

Spirituality, meditation, affirmation, prayer, yoga, manifestation, self-development, holistic health, alternative lifestyles, organic foods, healthy living, wellness, self-sufficiency, prosperity, sustainability, freedom, human rights, discernment, wisdom, awakening, longevity, inner guidance, and inner peace.

The purpose of this cruise is NOT about being a victim of conspiracies. It is about taking back our power from corrupt and greedy institutions, attaining true self-authority, and realizing our genuine Self behind the masks. It is about discovering the truth, taking command of our lives, and attaining genuine inner realization.

This cruise will not only uncover the lies. It will show us the truth. As we dispell the darkness, and shine the light of wisdom, we enter the true light of consciousness.

And we are set free.

ALL are welcome to discover the real truth, together.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Here's some "research" too.

http://fellowshipoftheminds.com/2015/04/30/are-the-crew-members-of-1986-space-shuttle-challenger-still-alive/

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I don't know about you, but I'm going to be real annoyed if I don't get to at least make one final quip.

My great grandma, at 101 years old, got a glamour photo taken and printed onto hallmark-type cards and hand-wrote "I'm dead now" notes in them, leaving behind instructions for my great aunt to mail them out when she passed. She also put in her will to divvy up her remaining retirement money between the recipients of the cards. The day she died, I had a breakdown when I got the news. The next day, a glamourshotz card with $200 in it showed up in my mailbox with a note inside saying "Dear Obama, I was happy to see you last year when you visited (note: she lives on the other side of the country from me). Congratulations on (list of life events). I'm sorry I won't be able to see your new house because I am dead now. Love, great grandma".

That kinda made it all better.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Would this be covered under pareidolia or is there a better term for it? It's pretty common for people to have a sorta-twin out there.

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

AbbadonOfHell posted:

Would this be covered under pareidolia or is there a better term for it? It's pretty common for people to have a sorta-twin out there.

I believe this falls under prosopagnosia, or face blindness.

Wikipedia posted:

Prosopagnosia /ˌprɒsəpæɡˈnoʊʒə/ (Greek: "prosopon" = "face", "agnosia" = "not knowing"), also called face blindness,[1] is a cognitive disorder of face perception where the ability to recognize faces is impaired, while other aspects of visual processing (e.g., object discrimination) and intellectual functioning (e.g., decision making) remain intact. The term originally referred to a condition following acute brain damage (acquired prosopagnosia), but a congenital or developmental form of the disorder also exists, which may affect up to 2.5% of the population.[2] The specific brain area usually associated with prosopagnosia is the fusiform gyrus,[3] which activates specifically in response to faces. The functionality of the fusiform gyrus allows most people to recognize faces in more detail than they do similarly complex inanimate objects. For those with prosopagnosia, the new method for recognizing faces depends on the less-sensitive object recognition system. The right hemisphere fusiform gyrus is more often involved in familiar face recognition than the left. It remains unclear whether the fusiform gyrus is only specific for the recognition of human faces or if it is also involved in highly trained visual stimuli.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

AbbadonOfHell posted:

The common number given is that there's on average 7 people out there who (by complete chance) look identical or almost identical to you.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

chitoryu12 posted:

The common number given is that there's on average 7 people out there who (by complete chance) look identical or almost identical to you.

I hate to break it to you, but those are all lizard people who are there as backups to impersonate you if necessary, or for you to replace in the event your death needs to be faked.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

chitoryu12 posted:

Hell I went to school with one of my almost doppelgangers. He was right next to me in the yearbook oddly enough and at least for a few years we looked awfully similar. My cousin and me also were occasionally mistaken for one another as well.

Thanks for the heads up about Prosopagnosia as well.

This WDBJ7 poo poo gets me all heated because I live like 10 minutes from where it happened. I didn't know either of em but I'd seen her on the news quite frequently.

AbbadonOfHell fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 2, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Man, NASA is lazy with cover stories. "Ok, we just faked your death in the most dramatic and public way possible. Now you need to disappear. In order to do this, we're going to change your first name and you can pretend to be your own brother, and you can start a foundation in your own honor. I'm sure that no one who knew you personally or professionally will notice the sudden existence of a brother, or recognize you in the future. No, we won't bother to fake a birth certificate or anything, that's way too much work."

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Step 1: Fake shuttle explosion
Step 2: ?????
Step 3: Profit!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nolanar posted:

Someone linked this over in the pseudoscience thread, but it fits in perfectly here too: The ConspiraSea cruise! Yes, that's the real name, and it appears to be a real thing. Guest speakers include a bunch of loving nutjobs. The main name that jumped out at me is Andrew Wakefield, of fake vaccine study fame.

If you're playing the conspiracy theory drinking game, go ahead and call the paramedics now.

This is actually GREAT news. Seriously.

Now, every time someone I know tries to quote that hack's work, I can tell them where he is now.

I was going to say "right where he belongs", but where he belongs is in prison. But I'm happy to take this.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nolanar posted:

Can you imagine the freakout if that ship sank?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I may start believing in telekinesis if it did.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Or if they were all arrested and tried at sea under Admiralty Law ?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Reagan dedicated the Columbia's maiden flight to the people of Afghanistan in solidarity with the Mujahideen.

It burned up on reentry just a few weeks before the Iraq War carrying an Israeli astronaut.

Act of an angry God.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The entire space race was a sham and an increasingly skeptical post Vietnam/watergate media would have easily uncovered that so there needed to be a reason to let the program stop. That's what the challenger disaster was all about.

Columbia just reaffirmed the message. So now in America, the space program is outsourced to Russia and in Russia the space program is outsourced to America. That way everybody stays ignorant about everything (or at least has plausible deniability) and the status quo can be maintained.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

The Mike Smith and Christa McAuliffe doppelgangers are particularly unconvincing

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

The Mike Smith and Christa McAuliffe doppelgangers are particularly unconvincing

Government only has a limited budget for crisis actors, and you know how the unions are with salaries

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Government only has a limited budget for crisis actors, and you know how the unions are with salaries

But crisis actors are paid with counterfeit money.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

The entire space race was a sham and an increasingly skeptical post Vietnam/watergate media would have easily uncovered that so there needed to be a reason to let the program stop. That's what the challenger disaster was all about.

Columbia just reaffirmed the message. So now in America, the space program is outsourced to Russia and in Russia the space program is outsourced to America. That way everybody stays ignorant about everything (or at least has plausible deniability) and the status quo can be maintained.

Nah Challenger was carrying Dr. Barrack Obama's Kenyan birth certificate and also his research notes for creating HIV, Challenger was rigged to explode (by Obama) in order to get rid of this paper trail

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My great grandma, at 101 years old, got a glamour photo taken and printed onto hallmark-type cards and hand-wrote "I'm dead now" notes in them, leaving behind instructions for my great aunt to mail them out when she passed. She also put in her will to divvy up her remaining retirement money between the recipients of the cards. The day she died, I had a breakdown when I got the news. The next day, a glamourshotz card with $200 in it showed up in my mailbox with a note inside saying "Dear Obama, I was happy to see you last year when you visited (note: she lives on the other side of the country from me). Congratulations on (list of life events). I'm sorry I won't be able to see your new house because I am dead now. Love, great grandma".

That kinda made it all better.

That's amazing and even though I was a bit tongue in cheek that's totally going into my end of life planning foolder.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, why do the scum of the earth keep trying to rope in Sanders?
http://i.imgur.com/gqCPLDg.jpg

Why are Ron Paulites moving to him so willingly? I'm sure they'd be dismayed that unlike Paul, he's not a straight up White Supremacist, or a theocrat, or even an Libertarian.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Why are Ron Paulites moving to him so willingly? I'm sure they'd be dismayed that unlike Paul, he's not a straight up White Supremacist, or a theocrat, or even an Libertarian.

Why is a guy with a Pepe profile picture supporting McCarthy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I think it's just that he's saying something they like, just like Ron did. Occasionally you see the harder edge Libertarians come out and start attacking them for liking him though. They might also be little "l" libertarians, there are some that make a distinction like that because they understand government is needed to a degree they just want a little less instead of it gone entirely.

Also, holy poo poo at the people trying to paint McCarthy like he was a good thing.

• Locked thread