Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Could someone who has played XCX go into detail about what combat is really like? I have watched videos and read some stuff but nothing really tells me some of the finer details. Some people compare it to Phantasy Star Online action combat but I would like to know just how twitchy it is since I suspect that a lot of opinions out there are not based on personal game play experiences. Do I have a basic attack which is more automatic or do I control it directly with a button press? What about dodge mechanics and iframes? Maybe someone could both talk a bit about it and compare it to some other ganes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It plays like the first, ie like FF12/MMOs where you have autoattacks and then up to 8 additional commands per character.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Everyone who played the mario tennis game said it sucked rear end if that helps

That's a shame. Wii Tennis was so basic yet fun. :(

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

ImpAtom posted:

The complaint that Xenoblade makes it super-easy to overlevel is a real common one. One of the common pieces of advice you see for it is actually just "play the game, ignore the sidequests, you'll still get 60 hours out of the game and the combat system is more fun then." A few people in the Wii thread have mentioned the game got a lot more fun when they started to do that too.

Yeah, but due to the balance in Gems, you're not going to use the vast majority of them since gem slots are so limited. When you only have 1-2 slots you're better off stacking powerful ones that manage aggro or whatnot than Elemental Stealth or whatnot. In fact most of the gems I'd consider worthwhile I got from elemental depots. (Though Art Stealth was more common as an enemy drop I think.). Since there's not actually any way to combine separate gems the crappier gems are mostly just used for fodder so you can build up the level of gems you want to use as close to 99 as possible so you can get Heat/Super Heat. Items are used for quest but that kinda goes back to the problem of quests being crappy and the fact that the loot is randomized means that you have to grind to get some of the items you need.

You do get better weapons but that is what I meant by 90% vendor trash. For every improvement there's like 90 pieces of junk. Which is fine, it's how the genre works, but it isn't very exciting.

Like I said, I can't really agree. Like it isn't even the only one of those games on the Wii. (The Last Story is also there and I'd argue does some things better than Xenoblade does even, though I think Xenoblade is overall the superior product.) I also feel that Xenoblade is missing things that I think it should have borrowed, like the Gambit system from FFXII.

In terms of the "overleveled" complaint, well I've heard multiple things all the way. The game is too difficulty, easy, etc. Maybe its a skill thing. I certainly couldn't beat the game without doing any sidequests at all. Anyway to each his own, but I do respect that you actually did well to elaborate your points and be respectful.

Golden Goat posted:

*He said as he swirled his glass of brandy and flitted through his ever extensive library/parlour of JRPGs.*

Xenoblade was probably considered a "revival" because gently caress all came out for the Wii that was like it and the Xeno series was a pile of poo poo before that.
I doubt that the vast majority of people who played and own the game don't just simply own a Wii.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Inflammatory posted:

people who complain about this are morons because like 90% of voiced jrpg protagonists are either whiny and obnoxious or even more bland than a silent blank slate.

Except for you know...Shulk who was actually pretty great at least for the English version. I think it works sometimes, I have no problem with Link for example. Didn't they say in the Iwata asks that they basically redid part of the game to make the character a silent protagonist? It was probably going to be lovely regardless with these uninteresting characters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

so at this point is anybody itt going to play the game in english or is this thread just going to remain being for grousing over nintendo not just making an HD remaster of The Best Ever and 0% Anime JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles for the next year

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The second preloading goes up i'm getting it.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I have the Wii U ready to lock & load for it. (& #FE)

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

katkillad2 posted:

Except for you know...Shulk who was actually pretty great at least for the English version.

shulk's always seemed pretty generic to me, actually.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Motto posted:

so at this point is anybody itt going to play the game in english or is this thread just going to remain being for grousing over nintendo not just making an HD remaster of The Best Ever and 0% Anime JRPG Xenoblade Chronicles for the next year

I will be getting it, and I will play it. I love Xenogears and Xenosaga III, and liked Xenosaga well enough. Hated XSII though. So I probably won't be the best one to judge the game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was just posting here to tell people I played and best xenoblade for the first time

I'm not particularly interested in xcx

sorry

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I was just posting here to tell people I played and best xenoblade for the first time

I'm not particularly interested in xcx

sorry

It's not like there's another Xenoblade thread you could post in.

It's fine.

Yeah, because you just finished one JRPG, it'd be crazy for you to jump into another one so soon. Betting you'll pick it up in half a year though.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I will buy Xenoblade X to support a new IP and to have sick adventures in my mech.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm going to buy it so I can be a hot anime babe punching alien dinosaurs in my Gundam.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I'm gonna wait for review scores and if it's not a perfect ten accuse the reviewer of not understanding the true art of anime mechs.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm gonna wait until I can afford a Wii-U.

:smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm going to buy it so I can be a hot anime babe punching alien dinosaurs in my Gundam.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Motto posted:

It plays like the first, ie like FF12/MMOs where you have autoattacks and then up to 8 additional commands per character.

I want to be hyped for this game but this part is making it really hard for me. I want PSO2 combat or some form of action combat where things like hit boxes and dodging/iframes matter. I may still get it anyways, but probably not while it is $60.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah i'm buying it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Fungah! posted:

yeah i'm buying it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fungah! posted:

yeah i'm buying it

I instinctively say "Foiled again!" in my mind whenever I see your username.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

I instinctively say "Foiled again!" in my mind whenever I see your username.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tpHILeOSV8

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:

Motto posted:

But without the chain combos.
It's largely chaotic mass attack on one mob at a time (though they can link, causing even more chaotic fighting with no structure).
There is the concept of hate, but since everyone melees at will it's not important like it was in XC where one had to go easy with the fragile but powerful black mage.
XCX lets you target specific body parts on larger mobs, so that's a change.
There's also battle commands with different instructions like dismount from mechs (cheaper to just die rather than getting the mechs wrecked and then dying), gather, etc.

XC's more fun to play, honestly.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm gonna buy it and then say it's bad because I probably won't like it

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

So I finally beat the 3ds version of the original Xenoblade. Gotta say, it blew my expectations out of the water; I haven't had a game hooked into me for years, definitely breathed new life into the stagnant genre.

Looking forward to the Wii U sequel, but even though it's already been stated, the visuals for this iteration are kinda throwing me off. Aren't they using the same artist as the one from the last game? The first one wasn't so much anime as it was eastern watercolors vibe; this sequel is straight-up textbook animu, with doe eyes and glass jaws being the standard norm.

Wonder why they didn't just stick with the art direction as the last one, I was really digging it.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Baal posted:

I'm gonna buy it and then say it's bad because I probably won't like it

I feel like this is a trend

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like to play games even ones I'm sure I won't like

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Baal posted:

I like to play games even ones I'm sure I won't like

It's cool. We have a good name for this. You are a Maverick. You too can be President of the United States.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I already am.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Obama would be into JRPGs and spend time even on ones he doesn't like. Trump probably only plays WRPGs and doesn't even finish them, thinks Bethesda is the best.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm just going to gamefly it because I anticipate not enjoying it at all at this point. I'm not just making GBS threads on the game for no reason, when I bought my Wii U the two games I purchased it for was a new console Monster Hunter and the next Xenoblade game... everything else was just a bonus. I've seen enough on twitch when it released in Japan that anything I was hoping for in a new Xenoblade game was thrown out the window.

Parrotine posted:

Wonder why they didn't just stick with the art direction anything resembling the last one, I was really digging it.

You can pretty much say this about everything except the combat system and the open environment.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Don't do this to me man, I just want the last game with a new coat of paint, that's as high as I set my standards

Zorato
Nov 2, 2007

^ me reading your post
just gimme xenoblade chronicles 2 plz

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zorato posted:

just gimme xenoblade chronicles 2 plz

It's out December 4th/8th

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

It's out December 4th/8th

Would have bought it a while ago if it wasnt for region locking.

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...
The best part about racking up 100 hours on xenoblade, besides that it is a good game, is that the story interested my wife enough that she did the side quests. We moved the story along when we both played enough. She is horrible at video games, but can run around filling out a collection book cause you can't finish the game without the book filled out.

I better hope she doesn't ever actually like games. She'll be one of you. I guess I'll get the new one cause she will want it .

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Wait, hold on a sec, there's been more than one Xenoblade title besides the Wii/3ds one?

What's it called? What system was it on? I need answers dammit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Wait, hold on a sec, there's been more than one Xenoblade title besides the Wii/3ds one?

What's it called? What system was it on? I need answers dammit

Xenoblade is spiritually part of a franchise with Xenogears and Xenosaga.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though all those games play nothing like Xenoblade on top of being partially-finished/rushed stories. It's basically just a name Takahashi likes to keep using; Xenoblade wasn't even a Xeno- title at first, it was originally called Monado: Beginning of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Don't play Xenogears. It is bad.

What's also bad is the English translation for Xenoblade X. This is laughable.

:suicide:

• Locked thread