Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned, but EVGA's B-stock 980s are in stock, 379 for the single fan, 369 for the dual fan. Snagged a dual fan because hey, it's the price difference for phantom pain away from a 970 and that's not bad. I might just might get my build under 2k just yet.

... and they're gone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Don Lapre posted:

AMD FPU performance was abysmal without 3dnow

Wow that is worse that I remember.

Do you know what the price spread was for those chips?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SlayVus posted:

But what about Pascal? It's going to use HBM2 as well.

Yeah, but I want a choice.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wow that is worse that I remember.

Do you know what the price spread was for those chips?

Celeron 400a $166
K6-2 400 $283
P2 450 $669

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I know you guys are busy with your Celeron400a chips but just thought I'd mention I'm selling a brand new 980ti for $580: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739038

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Zero VGS posted:

I know you guys are busy with your Celeron400a chips but just thought I'd mention I'm selling a brand new 980ti for $580: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3739038

will my celeron 400a be a bottleneck with this card?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How can my friend get a replacement or refund for Gigabyte GTX970 he bought in march? He gets BSOD's in 50% of games he plays, he has tested it in other people's computers as well and they get crashes too.
He has tried to RMA it three times already. Every time they say that nothing's wrong with it.
No crashes occur in Furmark or other benchmark programs, different driver versions don't change anything, no overclocks.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SinineSiil posted:

How can my friend get a replacement or refund for Gigabyte GTX970 he bought in march? He gets BSOD's in 50% of games he plays, he has tested it in other people's computers as well and they get crashes too.
He has tried to RMA it three times already. Every time they say that nothing's wrong with it.
No crashes occur in Furmark or other benchmark programs, different driver versions don't change anything, no overclocks.

Cc charge back for a defective product

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah thats a tough one

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
We need the error the BSOD is giving to provide any support. He needs to set the computer to not restart on BSOD if it is. That way he can copy it down.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

SlayVus posted:

We need the error the BSOD is giving to provide any support. He needs to set the computer to not restart on BSOD if it is. That way he can copy it down.

BSODs are logged in the Event Viewer, he shouldn't need to prevent the reboot and cause another one for the error.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SinineSiil posted:

A lot of credit cards will either let you do a chargeback (which he might have to continue to fight to keep it from being reversed) or some cards have a program where the credit card company themselves will accept the card as a return.

Either that or just very subtly destroy the card further so it doesn't work at all... I had a 100% hosed Gigabyte card and they RMA'ed me a replacement without any hassle.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Even if he would've bought it with CC he can't really do chargeback because he bought all his PC components at once.
He started with RMAs only week after buying the card. He's now waiting for them to return it for 4th time.
BSOD code was 116. Nvidia driver nvlddmkm.sys is also mentioned. Like I said that issue persists with different systems and driver versions.

Zero VGS posted:

Either that or just very subtly destroy the card further so it doesn't work at all... I had a 100% hosed Gigabyte card and they RMA'ed me a replacement without any hassle.

That seems super risky and I'm not going to make my friend do that.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I think you've overestimating the difficulty of a chargeback.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I just asked and he paid hand to hand to delivery dude. I didn't know such thing was a thing, but it's common practice in Poland.
He's now doing mediation thing, but he's not optimistic about it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Make social-media noise and start a gofundme?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It is usually easy yes, the last time I did one, Best Buy contested me back four times in a row with my receipt saying I signed for the stuff. Yeah, I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing that if Boston literally orders a travel ban, and you shut the store down on the last business day I could have returned it, then it doesn't count as a business day. Ultimately my card company just refunded me for the item themselves to keep me a happy customer. That's my anecdote anyway.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Ah didnt know about Poland

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Sell it on ebay like everyone else with a dud card :smith:
You don't lose too much on 970's.
Of course try DDU first to wipe everything.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Twerk from Home posted:

This isn't really true, is it? A stock 390 is slightly slower than a stock 970, but the 970s are overclocking monsters.

You can overclock the 390 too. Whether the 970 gets enough extra overclock to then match it seems to depend on how lucky you get with both cards and which benchmarks you select. The tests for this are all over the place IIRC.

I personally don't overclock anyway.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Skuto posted:

I don't overclock only when Precision X gets turned off without me knowing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Skuto posted:

I, too, pay >$300 for something and then don't give a poo poo how moving 1 or 2 sliders in windows gives me an extra 20% performance. No sir.

I can understand why you'd not bother overclocking a radeon when there's like 5% headroom and you risk instability even with a tiny overclock, but not overclocking a maxwell is retarded. Maybe you don't have to OC today because it's good enough, but in a year or two when it starts to get old, that OC can push you over 60 fps again.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truga posted:

I, too, pay >$300 for something and then don't give a poo poo how moving 1 or 2 sliders in windows gives me an extra 20% performance. No sir.

I can understand why you'd not bother overclocking a radeon when there's like 5% headroom and you risk instability even with a tiny overclock, but not overclocking a maxwell is retarded. Maybe you don't have to OC today because it's good enough, but in a year or two when it starts to get old, that OC can push you over 60 fps again.

An R9 290 with aftermarket cooling has decent headroom. Unless you're me. Then you think it has more headroom than it has and end up frying the VRMs.

I really hope XFX sends me something back other than a "sorry bud, you broke that poo poo" note.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Ouch. Did you not cool them enough, or did you just set a too high voltage?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Truga posted:

You're confusing Fiji with everything else in AMDs line up, which has a 15-20% headroom depending on card and luck. That's actually pretty normal, Maxwell is an exception and people seem to forget that.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Truga posted:

Oh hey an overclocking debate, just what I wanted to get into.

It's only free performance if your time isn't worth anything. Do you overclock your stuff without even testing system stability? Without having specced anything else in your build preemptively higher?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Skuto posted:

It's only free performance if your time isn't worth anything. Do you overclock your stuff without even testing system stability? Without having specced anything else in your build preemptively higher?

Getting a 20% boost (which is on the low end) with your $300 GPU is like an extra $60 of performance. And overclocking maxwell takes literally a minute. Open afterburner. Max out power target. Do something conservative like +400 mem and +130 core (10 boost bins). Close afterburner. Even just maxing out the temp and power targets is a good boost.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Skuto posted:

I overclocked my thing by ~20% (to 1300MHz from 1075) and have had absolutely zero crashes in a week or so of pretty heavy gameplay, with the reference cooler. It was quite literally installing the card and moving three sliders in afterburner. So yes, 2 minutes of my time aren't worth all that much. It's not my fault nvidia clocks their chips too low, and for that kind of money taking two minutes is worth it I'd say. And yes, this is by all accounts nvidia's fault. They should have higher clocks out of the box IMHO, but then we'd get retardsreviewers raging about "no overclocking" instead.

And, as it later turned out, I rolled pretty badly on the silicon lottery. And yet, the 20% number worked just fine.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I bought an ASUS Strix GTX960, but the coil whine is killing me. Are there any other 960 based cards that are shown to have no coil whine?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

kimcicle posted:

I bought an ASUS Strix GTX960, but the coil whine is killing me. Are there any other 960 based cards that are shown to have no coil whine?

Unfortunately any card can have coil whine though some are more prone to it than others. You can try adjusting the card's clocks via an overclocking utility, different clocks will sometimes change or get rid of coil whine.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Skuto posted:

To do it correctly, yes it does take (a little) time. An hour is a good guess. Time is money, I agree, but considering we're talking about a video card to play video games with ... if you get my drift. I would typically encourage everybody to overclock GPUs these days. However it can also take about 5 minutes as well if you truly are strapped for time.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Truga posted:

And yes, this is by all accounts nvidia's fault. They should have higher clocks out of the box IMHO, .

Don't the board partners decide the factory default overclock? My previous NVidia card shipped with a 16% default overclock and had very little headroom beyond that. The GTX950 boards are also shipping with massive overclocks.

When I say I don't overclock I of course don't mean I'm turning down these boards. If the manufacturer has done their homework and tested the thing for me and guarantees it works I'm fine with that.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Well, that's different then. If you buy something that's already overclocked by 20% for the $30 or whatever premium, that's not a bad deal IMO.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Truga posted:

Well, that's different then. If you buy something that's already overclocked by 20% for the $30 or whatever premium, that's not a bad deal IMO.

A lot of them are buying the cooler and board quality and the OC comes free tbh.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

SinineSiil posted:

I just checked Newegg for reviews of this specific card he has:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125706&cm_re=gigabyte_gtx970-_-14-125-706-_-Product
Most one and two star reviews describe same issue. Gigabyte refuses to acknowledge the issue.
Does he really have no other options beside screaming on social media?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 29, 2015

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Never buy Gigabyte again, at least.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Skuto posted:

You can overclock the 390 too. Whether the 970 gets enough extra overclock to then match it seems to depend on how lucky you get with both cards and which benchmarks you select. The tests for this are all over the place IIRC.

I've had both a GTX 970 and an aftermarket cooled R9-290 and did some performance comparison of both of them on my own. The 970 is a better GPU, both stock and overclocked. Overclocked, it is a significantly better GPU than the 290 / 390. The tests are not "all over the place", the 970 ranges from slightly better to 30% better, with better thermals and almost always acoustics.

Want to know why I kept the 290? It was $210 instead of the $330 the 970 was. The only time it's worth buying a 290 / 390 is when it's $50 or more cheaper than a 970. If you buy a 390 at 970 prices, you're being a silly fanboy like people building with AMD 8 core $200 CPUs right now.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Of course it was that lovely Gigabyte Mini that's perpetually on super sale.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

sauer kraut posted:

Of course it was that lovely Gigabyte Mini that's perpetually on super sale.
I feel like it was my fault that he got that card. I wasn't aware of its existence back when he showed me parts list so I assumed it was normal Gigabyte 970 and didn't check closer. No-one else who looked at the parts list caught it either.
Also that card apparently had great reviews all around back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

I've had both a GTX 970 and an aftermarket cooled R9-290 and did some performance comparison of both of them on my own. The 970 is a better GPU, both stock and overclocked. Overclocked, it is a significantly better GPU than the 290 / 390.

Whoa, I don't think you can just equate the R9 290 and R9 390 like that. Most obvious difference is the latter having 20% higher memory bandwidth outright. There's process advances/better binning too. Because of the price hike the R9 290 is still in the picture for price/perf but it's just an inferior card compared to R9 390s.

For thermals/power Nvidia always wins, yes, for pure perf I'm sure most published benchmarks just outright disagree with you.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 29, 2015