Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, if you're in a BB and there are Minekaze around you've got to be on your toes, but they're eminently beatable. The number of times I've had to switch to HE and blow DDs away because my loving pubby cruisers are too scared to get close to them is depressing and I'm starting to get pretty good at pasting DDs with a BB's guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DurosKlav posted:

For those who have missed it. A Chance to earn a free ship for PAX.

PRIZES FOR ALL:
All players who submit a valid entry, will receive the Marblehead with the special PAX camo, a port slot, and 500,000 Credits!

ADDITIONAL PRIZES:
We will randomly select ten (10) captains who complete the task and award them with a one week of Premium time!

I sure am glad I saved all those EPeen screenshots.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, this doesn't sound that hard to do for an extra ship and some silver. I'll just screenshot my murders post battle until I get enough.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I mean, if you're in a BB and there are Minekaze around you've got to be on your toes, but they're eminently beatable. The number of times I've had to switch to HE and blow DDs away because my loving pubby cruisers are too scared to get close to them is depressing and I'm starting to get pretty good at pasting DDs with a BB's guns.

And the pubby cruisers who would rather be lobbing HE at BB's than shooting DD's. :downs:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Scotch posted:

And the pubby cruisers who would rather be lobbing HE at BB's than shooting DD's. :downs:

Don't forget, they love to turn broadside and just sail along in a straight line, because that's how you get more guns on for more HE! More HE will mean more victory! :downs:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I don't know why more Cruisers don't actively chase down DD's because to me they are like bubble wrap, easily popped and the sound is gratifying.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Groggy nard posted:

I don't know why more Cruisers don't actively chase down DD's because to me they are like bubble wrap, easily popped and the sound is gratifying.

Hitting them with a full salvo was the main way I'd get Devastating Strike back when I had the Furutaka.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Seriously. As soon as you're clued onto them by the first torpedo salvo "from nowhere," it's trivial to head straight towards them and hey, now you're always gonna be head-on to the subsequent spreads, and are therefore immune to them

wdarkk posted:

Before tier 10 there are only like 2 or 3 cruisers that are actually good at HE-ing battleships. HE meta is an illusion.

The problem is those two are the Omaha and the Cleveland, coincidentally the two most-played ships! (on NA, Europe and SEA by total battles). Adjust RoF, accuracy or chance of fire on those two alone and the problem goes away.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 28, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

And the St. Louis. Against low tier BBs (especially as early BB drivers don't usually know to aim for the citadel yet, and who the gently caress goes back to or sticks around with T3 BBs to seal-club?) that thing is a machine of fire and sadness.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Reztes posted:

Seriously. As soon as you're clued onto them by the first torpedo salvo "from nowhere," it's trivial to head straight towards them and hey, now you're always gonna be head-on to the subsequent spreads, and are therefore immune to them

The problem is those two are the Omaha and the Cleveland, coincidentally the two most-played ships! (on NA, Europe and SEA). Adjust RoF, accuracy or chance of fire on those two alone and the problem goes away.

Don't worry, they lowered the fire chance on all the IJN cruisers instead! Because WG understands how to balance stuff - just look at how effectively they've balanced destroyers.:downs:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Night10194 posted:

And the St. Louis. Against low tier BBs (especially as early BB drivers don't usually know to aim for the citadel yet, and who the gently caress goes back to or sticks around with T3 BBs to seal-club?) that thing is a machine of fire and sadness.

Yup and, oh hey, that thing's the #4 most popular boat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I mean, one of the keys reasons you try not to be spotted while torpedoing as the IJN DDs isn't to keep yourself safe (though that's an important part) it's because they're way less likely to evade if they have no warning at all the torpedoes are coming until their ship spots fish in the water.

Also, Omaha drivers are usually pretty easy to kill because they get lured in by the sexy thought of broadsides instead of using their boat's massively good frontal/rear firepower to avoid showing their citadel.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So I played my first match ever as a CV.

That was...different. Any advice for actually hitting people with my TBs? Is it possible to drop them closer to a ship?

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Never do autodrop ony any target with TB. If you are busy with other things then it is ok to do an autodrop with dive bombers, especially on big targets. Press alt while selecting TB(s) and you can manually decide where their spread goes and more importantly, you can set them a lot closer than autodrops allows. Use that all the time, beware that torpedos do have an minimal distance even though it is not much, and just learn what distance you need to set to get your targets. Competent players will turn into your TB when they spot them coming closer, so watch for rudder shifts and learn to set cross-drops that can't be avoided but need multiple squadrons to commit. Also even though in lower tiers it doesn't matter much but don't set routes so that planes fly over other enemy ships unless you want to lose a few of them as AA gets better at T6 onward and don't be that guy who sits at spawn and never moves until a DD takes selfies with your wreckage while your whole team is on the other side of the map.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Devorum posted:

So I played my first match ever as a CV.

That was...different. Any advice for actually hitting people with my TBs? Is it possible to drop them closer to a ship?

Hold ALT.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Can somebody change their name to Pax Marblehead and play me please?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Only the first letter of the name works, except on the X.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Junkozeyne posted:

Never do autodrop ony any target with TB. If you are busy with other things then it is ok to do an autodrop with dive bombers, especially on big targets. Press alt while selecting TB(s) and you can manually decide where their spread goes and more importantly, you can set them a lot closer than autodrops allows. Use that all the time, beware that torpedos do have an minimal distance even though it is not much, and just learn what distance you need to set to get your targets. Competent players will turn into your TB when they spot them coming closer, so watch for rudder shifts and learn to set cross-drops that can't be avoided but need multiple squadrons to commit. Also even though in lower tiers it doesn't matter much but don't set routes so that planes fly over other enemy ships unless you want to lose a few of them as AA gets better at T6 onward and don't be that guy who sits at spawn and never moves until a DD takes selfies with your wreckage while your whole team is on the other side of the map.

Ok, thanks...this was very helpful. I did my best to stay with this clump of BBs, as CVs that just sit at spawn drive me crazy.

TSBX posted:

Can somebody change their name to Pax Marblehead and play me please?

Hey, I got my "X" from you earlier! Then promptly died after I got torps manually dropped right next to me.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So, I'm the proud new owner of a New Mexico.

Any recommendations for which upgrades will give the most bang for my buck? Or even really just which upgrades are generally always good for BBs in general.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Enter "PAXBONUS2015" in the bonus code section in the store to get a couple of flags and A Free Port Slot!
Edit: from what I hear, this works for euros too!

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Hazdoc posted:

Enter "PAXBONUS2015" in the bonus code section in the store to get a couple of flags and A Free Port Slot!

Can confirm for EU, also the flags are of the +xp, + credits type.

Regarding the Tirpitz: I think I will still buy it despite the dispersion. The high rof and turret rotation are what sold me on it. Also torping fools on the iceberg map will never get old.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Took my Wickes out earlier, rounded an island where a Kawachi who was idle and not moving promptly obliterated me with a broadside before I even knew what hit me. Then I closed the game and quit for the night.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Hazdoc posted:

:waycool:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hazdoc posted:

More port slots are always, always welcome.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just bought the New Mexico. For the last upgrade slot - Acceleration +20%, Steering +20%, or Firefighting/Flooding +15%? I figure its one of the last two, and probably rudder but I havent taken her out of port yet.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Are there any other games out there like World of Warships, which let you drive WW2 ships? I love WoWS but want to vary it up a bit.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Lakedaimon posted:

Just bought the New Mexico. For the last upgrade slot - Acceleration +20%, Steering +20%, or Firefighting/Flooding +15%? I figure its one of the last two, and probably rudder but I havent taken her out of port yet.

anything that helps you be on fire less is pretty much mandatory in a bb. the NM is already super durable and if you stack up defensive stuff like that and commander skills you can be absurdly hard to kill with a bit of good driving

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

demonR6 posted:

Took my Wickes out earlier, rounded an island where a Kawachi who was idle and not moving promptly obliterated me with a broadside before I even knew what hit me. Then I closed the game and quit for the night.

But battleships are unplayable and lose 1v1 to everything :confused:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Tell that to my Wickes crew.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Hazdoc posted:

Indeed! Thank you!

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
After scavenging through my screenshot folder & some grinding action tonight (got out of the Wyoming without having to use free xp, thank god) all I need is an H and an E for this PAX thing. Thing that pissed me off is apparently my favorite contour icon pack covers up part of the player name in the battle result screen :argh: . Uninstalled it for the moment so I am getting usable screenshots.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

TehKeen posted:

anything that helps you be on fire less is pretty much mandatory in a bb. the NM is already super durable and if you stack up defensive stuff like that and commander skills you can be absurdly hard to kill with a bit of good driving

Mmm, I'd argue that the steering reduction is somewhat more useful for battleships than the slightly reduced time on fires and floods, but it's really something of a tossup.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Aug 29, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

But battleships are unplayable and lose 1v1 to everything :confused:

Who has been saying that?

It wasn't me, was it the people who said cruisers are fair and balanced, and then spent the net 2 pages unironically posting ridiculous cruiser battle results and raving to new players about all the awesome ones you need to grind and keep?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Mmm, I'd argue that the steering reduction is somewhat more useful for battleships than the slightly reduced time on fires and floods, but it's really something of a tossup.

I would go with steering reduction.

High Alert (the skill that reduces damage control's cooldown) combined with the premium damage control (which you should always be running in a battleship anyway) means that your damage control will usually be up before the fire gets put out on it's own anyway.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Lord Koth posted:

Seconding this, US BB should always take rudder shift, helps avoid torpedoes. I imagine it works just as well on the Japanese BB but I havent played them so I dont know how well they turn

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

NTRabbit posted:

Who has been saying that?

It wasn't me, was it the people who said cruisers are fair and balanced, and then spent the net 2 pages unironically posting ridiculous cruiser battle results and raving to new players about all the awesome ones you need to grind and keep?

It is strange to blame people who say cruisers are balanced for all the wrongs in the world - cruisers are balanced.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Holy gently caress the atlanta is an absolute monster firing AP at point blank range. 15 seconds to DPM down another atlanta thanks to 8 citadels? Yes please!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

It is strange to blame people who say cruisers are balanced for all the wrongs in the world - cruisers are balanced.

Cruisers aren't even remotely balanced, but whatever helps you sleep at night

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Can we turn the spreadsheet that shows average wins, damage, xp, and kills into NTRabbit.jpg and just post it at the start of every page?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Dustoph posted:

Can we turn the spreadsheet that shows average wins, damage, xp, and kills into NTRabbit.jpg and just post it at the start of every page?

But serverwide statistics don't prove anything :downs:

- ntrabbit, a moron and an idiot