Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

And the conservative elite will deploy the same messages to attack Trump in the media, trying to convince voters that he's a stealth (or not-so-stealth) Clintonite who's going to raise their taxes to give Social Security and healthcare to people who "don't deserve it".

This is exactly why Trump has doubled down on deporting not only illegal immigrants, but their citizen families etc. Trump wants to have a ready-made answer to that complaint: that those "people who don't deserve it" are headed for the classy, luxurious Trump Internment Camps while they wait to be processed for deportation across the Great Wall of Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Jeb's buddies attacking Trump for saying how great his sister is has to be one of the most misjudged, tone-deaf things I've seen in politics. I know it's only a minor incident with no consequence , but to read the situation that poorly is shocking. I thought these guys were super savvy political animals. They're not really just a bunch of rich idiots, are they? I know we joke about that a lot but I always assumed in reality they were ruthless operators who wouldn't miss a trick.

I'm honestly confused by this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

bpower posted:

Jeb's buddies attacking Trump for saying how great his sister is has to be one of the most misjudged, tone-deaf things I've seen in politics. I know it's only a minor incident with no consequence , but to read the situation that poorly is shocking. I thought these guys were super savvy political animals. They're not really just a bunch of rich idiots, are they? I know we joke about that a lot but I always assumed in reality they were ruthless operators who wouldn't miss a trick.

It's rich idiots all the way down. Note that these are correlated -- being rich insulates you from the consequences of making mistakes.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

messagemode1 posted:

Is anyone else watching Sarah Palin interview Cruz, Bush, and Trump right now?

link?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-media/2015/08/sarah-palin-interview-donald-trump

It's on air on One America Network (what the gently caress), live right now. If you have Verizon Fios it's channel 116 or 616.

It's mostly Sarah Palin lobbing word salady softballs lovingly at the candidates, while saying Reagan randomly. Literally randomly.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

bpower posted:

If we've learned anything non-Trump in this election cycle so far, it's that Jeb and his crew are wildly incompetent. Maybe they'll use this bad period as an opportunity to improve, or maybe they'll double down on the idiocy.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Biden's son busted with Ashley Madison account: http://macedoniaonline.eu/content/view/27991/61/

He's blaming the Russians lol

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That mother jones poo poo isn't loading. Give me the mainline to this loving interview you cockteases

*snorts a ton of coke*

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

World Famous Whore posted:

Ya' beat me to the joke but I made this anyways

Yours is better :)

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
You can't criticize Biden for his son's infidelities.

But you can question the judgement of someone who would name a son "Hunter"

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 29, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Martin Random posted:

That mother jones poo poo isn't loading. Give me the mainline to this loving interview you cockteases

*snorts a ton of coke*

Its on some bullshit obscure cable network I don't think there's a stream. Maybe a periscope of it tho... i'll check

jebuiz yhar
Aug 29, 2015

by Ralp
Every time I read the latest Nate Silver article on why Sanders/Trump latest good poll means they're actually losing I'm reminded of 2008:

This is great news!!!!....
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
....for John McCain!!!!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I don't know how some of you keep up with this thread, I don't check it for like a day and there's 30 more pages

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
check the bible for a qr code or something

do these people operate on digital or do they just come in over obscure radio stations in oklahoma at 2am

what kind of savages do not operate a stream in this godforsaken day and age

has surrendering our liberties bought us nothing in the way of instant media entertainment access

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
OAN will be posting the Trump interview to YT shortly.
https://twitter.com/OANN

(They've already posted the Cruz and Jeb ones from this episode.)

edit: there it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeju2SG7UMA

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

e dammit

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Martin Random posted:

check the bible for a qr code or something

do these people operate on digital or do they just come in over obscure radio stations in oklahoma at 2am

what kind of savages do not operate a stream in this godforsaken day and age

has surrendering our liberties bought us nothing in the way of instant media entertainment access

Much like freedom, Palin isn't free.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

this is really bad, i forgot how stupid this woman sounds

edit: Jorge Ramos "radical activist"

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 29, 2015

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Von Sloneker posted:

OAN will be posting the Trump interview to YT shortly.
https://twitter.com/OANN

(They've already posted the Cruz and Jeb ones from this episode.)

edit: there it is

Between the word salads, and the fact Trump is out of focus while the background is in focus... I give this a solid 7/10.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

The Jeb one is really atrocious. I couldn't even make it to the interview

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
This interview is so funny. When did the whole "Main Stream Media" thing start to become a real thing?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

This interview is so funny. When did the whole "Main Stream Media" thing start to become a real thing?

Like a decade ago

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
"It's the economy... uh...silly"!
Come on Sarah, get it right.

She does look better than she has in awhile, though. Healthy wise, I mean.

God, I can't watch this poo poo. Her cadence and false accent are too atrocious.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 29, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Like a decade ago

Sorry I don't think I phrased my question well I apologize. I guess I don't really know what I was asking, it just seems that every conservative just blames the media for everything and it cracks me up.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

SalTheBard posted:

Sorry I don't think I phrased my question well I apologize. I guess I don't really know what I was asking, it just seems that every conservative just blames the media for everything and it cracks me up.

I'm sure it could be traced back to the lunatics orbiting Nixon, if not Nixon himself, but mainly I think this latest iteration of it goes back to this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias:_A_CBS_Insider_Exposes_How_the_Media_Distort_the_News

As you might expect, there's very little to the book. Mostly it's Goldberg's personal vendetta against Dan Rather, for what I have no idea.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Joementum posted:

Possible, but remember that the GOP wanting to cut Social Security is nothing new. Bob Taft ran on it back in 1952 and if Nixon hadn't flipped the California delegation on the train ride Taft might have beat Ike for the nomination.

That election sounds pretty interesting, any book recommendations on it? It appears that Eisenhower won the New Hampshire primary as a write-in candidate? And that Taft was ahead of Eisenhower in actual primary votes 36%-26% before the convention shenanigans.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Jeb Bush is to the GOP what Drake is to the rap game.

Soft as hell... Soft as hell...

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Meek Mill of this situation is of course Lindsay Graham

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

It is amazing how, without being asked, Trump keeps bringing up the need to tax hedge fund guys. It's like his own personal mission and honestly, there hasn't been a democrat with this much conviction about taxing the hedge fund managers. I don't know why Trump has such a personal vendetta against this (maybe he's jealous) and it's just astonishing hearing it come out of a republican running in the primaries with Sarah Palin nodding her head along with it.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Joementum posted:

In Minneapolis this week: the Democratic National Convention's summer meeting. Also, Anthrocon.

The unholy offspring of Calvin and Hobbes.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KidVanguard posted:

It is amazing how, without being asked, Trump keeps bringing up the need to tax hedge fund guys. It's like his own personal mission and honestly, there hasn't been a democrat with this much conviction about taxing the hedge fund managers. I don't know why Trump has such a personal vendetta against this (maybe he's jealous) and it's just astonishing hearing it come out of a republican running in the primaries with Sarah Palin nodding her head along with it.

Most democrats are more in bed with wall street than republicans are, not sure why people in here believe that democrats are above the fray..they just like their big money in different places than republicans do. Economic profiteering rather than war profiteering (two sides of the same coin anyway)

for the rest of what i think, refer to the avatar

<-----

Thx

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
The main stream media as we know it rose out of the ashes of September 11th

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

The man who came up with the discovery -> scrutiny -> decline model for explaining the 2012 primary explains why Trump isn't different this time.

Ignoring that a Q&A with an imaginary straw man is dumb as hell my main issue with this is, what great hope is there to discover among the remaining candidates? Granted it's August but every time the camera is pointed at a non-Trump, they're loving up.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The main stream media as we know it rose out of the ashes of September 11th

I hope it succumbs to cancer soon

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

KidVanguard posted:

Palin doesn't even know what hedge funds are, nor any idea on how they work.
Trump probably has a vendetta against hedge funds because he believes they drove him into bankruptcy, you know those two times.
It sure as hell wasn't his fault.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Something Else posted:

I hope it succumbs to cancer soon

They're not doing well. Fox seems to be in a losing war with Donald Trump and I have abandoned any hope of seeing any good coverage of Bernie out of most mainstream outlets. Rachel Maddow seemed pretty pumped about him though, but they took down the youtube channel that was illegally uploading her shows and i haven't seen it in a while

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

KidVanguard posted:

He probably honestly knows it's unfair, has a personal beef with them, and knows how popular that stance is with the general public and that establishment politicians can't take that position. If he ever wins the nomination, bringing it up now is important to use against her and it's something that can legit hurt her and maybe convince younger voters to stay home rather than vote for her.

I honestly want to imagine a world where Trump wins it all and tries to humiliate congress to pass that through.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

NutritiousSnack posted:

I honestly want to imagine a world where Trump wins it all and tries to humiliate congress to pass that through.

I can just see the press meeting where Trump reads down a list of congressmen who voted against one of his bills, giving a personalized insult to each one.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

KidVanguard posted:

Are you really surprised that someone who made his fortune off building and creating actual, real things would think that it's completely loving stupid that hedge fund people make so much money by manipulating and massaging imaginary numbers and are subject to vastly more lenient taxation because of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

• Locked thread