Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

And it has the rules for the Ordinatus!, and maybe a few other new things, couldn't decipher everything on the back.
Glory to the machine god yo.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Ave Omnissiah, bitches.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Can't wait to see how many missing rules and changed weapon profiles this will have.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slimnoid posted:

Can't wait to see how many missing rules and changed weapon profiles this will have.

That's what I'm dreading too.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

DJ Dizzy posted:

The will of the Omnissiah wil not be denied. The might of Mars will prevail.

These are fully sick, even with the goofy Castellan Robots. The Mechanicus stuff owns.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Slimnoid posted:

Can't wait to hear the bitching and moaning.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

panascope posted:

These are fully sick, even with the goofy Castellan Robots. The Mechanicus stuff owns.

Thanks. To be fair, the Castelans have grown on me somewhat. It helps to greenstuff out their helmets.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Have those electro-priest actually seen play yet? I've never heard anything good said about them, other than that they look cool.

And I for one like the big goofy Lost in Space Castellans.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

For the Black Reaving Rite of War, do you need to have a Praetor in addition to the Master of Signal, even if you're using Horus to get the Rite of War?

Here's the revised list I'm thinking of ordering the parts for:

Sons of Horus - 1850

Lord of War - Horus the Warmaster (500)

HQ - Master of Signal (105)
Artificer Armor

Troops - Justaerin Terminator Squad (335)
5 Terminators, 5 Lightning Claws, 1 Multi-Melta

Troops - Legion Tactical Squad (260)
20 Marines

Troops - Reaver Attack Squad (330)
10 Marines, 8 Boltguns, 2 Meltaguns

Basically, I want to try and take advantage of Horus's special rules as much as possible. I'll probably outflank the Reaver Squads, Deep Strike the Justaerin with Horus

panascope fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 28, 2015

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Master of Signal is a support officer so you need some kind of HQ that can take the mandatory slot.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

That is a sexy army.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

zeal posted:

Have those electro-priest actually seen play yet? I've never heard anything good said about them, other than that they look cool.

And I for one like the big goofy Lost in Space Castellans.

They have. They die. All the time. Best i've managed to get out of them was charging a solitaire with canticle of the electromancer active. It did not end well for the solitaire.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Hencoe posted:

Master of Signal is a support officer so you need some kind of HQ that can take the mandatory slot.

What about the line in the Black Reaving ROW where it says you have to take a Master of Signal as a Compulsory HQ choice? Does that work for the 1HQ required in the normal FOC?

edit: awesome, I found the part in their Errata about it.

"A Consul of this type may not be used as a compulsory HQ choice for the army unless specifically exempted by a particular Legiones Astartes rule or Rite of War."

panascope fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 28, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

Well you're in luck; it's already here!

It's cool that they're continuing to collect the armies into more manageable books. I'll pick up the one that drops with Ultramarines in it. As much as I'd like to read the big honkin' book with all that info in it, I'd actually like to play games with them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

Between both your attitudes, the truth is somewhere in-between. 30k rocks and these books are a good value. Compared to the flagship product they are really high quality had tend to have few errors. That said, there is never a change log and you can always expect 2-3 contradictions or stealth changes. Without any official statement from FW I'm always on guard for those. It's been how many years since I told you about vehicle command squads? Still no calcification. Even after you told your dudes about it. Twice.

panascope posted:

For the Black Reaving Rite of War, do you need to have a Praetor in addition to the Master of Signal, even if you're using Horus to get the Rite of War?

Here's the revised list I'm thinking of ordering the parts for:

Sons of Horus - 1850

Lord of War - Horus the Warmaster (500)

HQ - Master of Signal (105)
Artificer Armor

Troops - Justaerin Terminator Squad (335)
5 Terminators, 5 Lightning Claws, 1 Multi-Melta

Troops - Legion Tactical Squad (260)
20 Marines

Basically, I want to try and take advantage of Horus's special rules as much as possible. I'll probably outflank the Reaver Squads, Deep Strike the Justaerin with Horus

This is going to confuse you, but let me hammer it out. Primarchs are LOWs and not HQs. They also can't be more than 20% of your army, so you can only bring Horus into a game at 2500 points unless you use 40k rules- where everything scores and the rules are a bit different/you have a different FOC. In all honesty people are going to have a really hard time against Horus in 30k at low point levels so it's kind a a nice balancing act. You should totally run a 40k list with him though and smash through Ad Lance and other cheesy poo poo.

Make sure you read up all the FAQs. There were a few tweaks here and there. SOH also have a really drat good relic from book 4 that you should probably take on your HQ choice.

In terms of this list, I'm not sure what the tacticals are doing for you besides camping out on some midfield objective. The Eye of the Wamaster lets you take a Master of Signal as a mandatory HQ, so ignore the errata for the purposes of your HQ here. Horus lets you deepstrike Justaerins as is, so you may consider dropping the ROW so you can take less troops (troops in 30k tend to be overcosted) and bring some more economical options to help you deal with things like heavy armor (AV15 is a real deal in 30k and half the big tanks are immune to melta). Look into bikes, jet skimmers, and maybe a dreadclaw or drop pod as they compliment your army perks pretty well.

Hencoe posted:

It's just classic panascope, using his ABCs (always be cheating).

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

panascope posted:

What about the line in the Black Reaving ROW where it says you have to take a Master of Signal as a Compulsory HQ choice? Does that work for the 1HQ required in the normal FOC?

edit: awesome, I found the part in their Errata about it.

"A Consul of this type may not be used as a compulsory HQ choice for the army unless specifically exempted by a particular Legiones Astartes rule or Rite of War."

Oh, didn't know it was a mandatory part of it since i play iron warriors, that's cool that it lifts the restriction for rites.

But yeah, even with some of the weirder fuckups in the books 30k is rad as hell, even if it's just me and a couple other dudes in the area who play it so far. The more cool poo poo they put out, the easier it is to convince people to try it.

Mandatory bitching about the lack of models for the Tyrant Seige Terminators.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 29, 2015

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

This is going to confuse you, but let me hammer it out. Primarchs are LOWs and not HQs. They also can't be more than 20% of your army, so you can only bring Horus into a game at 2500 points unless you use 40k rules- where everything scores and the rules are a bit different/you have a different FOC. In all honesty people are going to have a really hard time against Horus in 30k at low point levels so it's kind a a nice balancing act. You should totally run a 40k list with him though and smash through Ad Lance and other cheesy poo poo.

I knew that they are LOWs and not HQs, but I didn't know they couldn't be more than 1/4 of my army using the Age of Darkness FOC. Maybe I'll just stick with the regular one anyway because as far I know that restriction isn't in there and all my troops choices get way way way better.

BULBASAUR posted:

Make sure you read up all the FAQs. There were a few tweaks here and there. SOH also have a really drat good relic from book 4 that you should probably take on your HQ choice.

Masters of Signal can't take Terminator Armor.

BULBASAUR posted:

In terms of this list, I'm not sure what the tacticals are doing for you besides camping out on some midfield objective.

This is pretty much exactly what they're going to do. I need something on the board turn one to hang out with the MoS. I could give him a jump pack and beef up one of the Reaver units if I dropped the tactical squad though.

BULBASAUR posted:

The Eye of the Wamaster lets you take a Master of Signal as a mandatory HQ, so ignore the errata for the purposes of your HQ here. Horus lets you deepstrike Justaerins as is, so you may consider dropping the ROW so you can take less troops (troops in 30k tend to be overcosted) and bring some more economical options to help you deal with things like heavy armor (AV15 is a real deal in 30k and half the big tanks are immune to melta). Look into bikes, jet skimmers, and maybe a dreadclaw or drop pod as they compliment your army perks pretty well.

What's good against AV15 stuff that ignores Melta though? I'll probably just have to start bringing D weapons at that point.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Consider this alternative force org, which is basically what the Night Lords ROW should have been:

panascope posted:

What's good against AV15 stuff that ignores Melta though? I'll probably just have to start bringing D weapons at that point.

Can't spam D weapons in 30k. You'll want melta bombs, melee, grav, or hitting side armor. Jetskimmers, suicide dreads, lightning strike fighters, suicide support squads, rapiers, and volume of fire are viable options. I don't think anybody in our group has spartans or admech tanks yet so you should be good for some time :)

panascope posted:

Masters of Signal can't take Terminator Armor.

Good point. But they can take relics. Which rule supersedes the other? Nobody knows.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Ghost Hand posted:

We bitch because it's something that really detracts from the quality of otherwise great products and it would be incredibly easy to fix. Give the proposed final copy to someone with a good grasp of the rules and an eye for detail for one single day and they'll have 99% of the errors caught before it goes to print. Make them sign an NDA. In exchange give them a free copy of the final product. They'd have volunteers lined up around the block. Hell, tons of people would gladly do it for free! I probably would.

As it is now it feels like they can't be assed to take three whole hours to double check their work before they start charging people $100 for something with obvious flaws. And the FAQs take their sweet time coming out(or often never appear) and address a bunch of questions no one asked while ignoring five times as many more serious problems.

FW customer support told people shortly after the release of the updated Vraks book they were compiling a FAQ, still nothing. Still no errata to bring IA1 back up to speed despite the fact that the new codex made major points changes like a year and a half after it was released, and it was never properly FAQed in the first place!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Like seriously, tell your friends there I would be happy to sign an NDA and do a comprehensive final rules edit for a free copy of the final product for any of their new books. If they want a resume I can send a pages long list of everything wrong in their last few books.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Getting ready for some NOVA action:

The army [almost] finished - the Wave Serpent on the right needs some work and the one in the middle needs its' gems white spotted

Old model? Maybe, but he still looks like a badass (for an Elrond space child)

Wraithguard gonna get bypassed.

Warping around on the bridge.

Boon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 29, 2015

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Boon posted:

The army [almost] finished - the Wave Serpent on the right needs some work and the one in the middle needs its' gems white spotted

Old model? Maybe, but he still looks like a badass (for an Elrond space child)

Wraithguard gonna get bypassed.

Warping around on the bridge.

This is magical. Did you ever think about adding Harlequins and more Eldar to your army? Because I want to dump some eldar and harlequins.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Thanks! I'm moving soon and Harlequins don't seem to add much, but I'm willing to entertain the idea! Shoot me a list of what you're looking to unload and I'll think about it

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Ghost Hand posted:

For the price they charge for their books I expect some goddamn proofreading or at the very least, a timely FAQ and an admission when they gently caress up.

As it is I fully expect them to have errors in their products, every time. And I also expect there not to be any definitive word one way or the other on a rules conflict, as ghetto wormhole has already outlined.

Mind you I like Forgeworld and I've been waiting for the Mechanicum book because hot drat that entire line of models is ace, but I'm being realistic here.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't y'all forget the unit in book loving five that can take a certain transport at 20, but is limited to 18 dudes, rules as written.

I feel that, if anything, criticism of Forge World's lax editing is entirely valid. It not only shows up in the fluff, but the rules too and that's inexcusable. I could do a better job and I'm just some chucklefuck dude on the internet.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

We are at less than 1 week away from the Nova Open!

Boon might have finished his army on time, but...
WhiteOutMouse is just starting on 15 Bloodletters in a new scheme...
TheSexCannon is applying some transfers, and
I still have to finish 6 destroyers and build a display board!

And what of our other potential guests? Chimurgon, ANAmal, Shadow Daishi, OhDearGodNo?

In other news, what could SRM's discount catachans be hiding...

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 29, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
"SRM's Discount Catachans" is the name of the little league team I'll coach when I hit middle age.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Boon posted:

Love the details on the jetbikes.
Hate the red canopies.

The Christmas theme on the snow board is pretty badass, tho. "Santa Eldrad is bring you some FLAMING loving DEATH for the yuletide, Timmy."

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

ghetto wormhole posted:

We bitch because it's something that really detracts from the quality of otherwise great products and it would be incredibly easy to fix. Give the proposed final copy to someone with a good grasp of the rules and an eye for detail for one single day and they'll have 99% of the errors caught before it goes to print. Make them sign an NDA. In exchange give them a free copy of the final product. They'd have volunteers lined up around the block. Hell, tons of people would gladly do it for free! I probably would.

As it is now it feels like they can't be assed to take three whole hours to double check their work before they start charging people $100 for something with obvious flaws. And the FAQs take their sweet time coming out(or often never appear) and address a bunch of questions no one asked while ignoring five times as many more serious problems.

FW customer support told people shortly after the release of the updated Vraks book they were compiling a FAQ, still nothing. Still no errata to bring IA1 back up to speed despite the fact that the new codex made major points changes like a year and a half after it was released, and it was never properly FAQed in the first place!

Slimnoid posted:

For the price they charge for their books I expect some goddamn proofreading or at the very least, a timely FAQ and an admission when they gently caress up.

As it is I fully expect them to have errors in their products, every time. And I also expect there not to be any definitive word one way or the other on a rules conflict, as ghetto wormhole has already outlined.

Mind you I like Forgeworld and I've been waiting for the Mechanicum book because hot drat that entire line of models is ace, but I'm being realistic here.

so loving entitled. if u dont like paying way too much money for the most terribly edited game rulebooks ever u need to stfu

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

In other news, what could SRM's discount catachans be hiding...

Is it a Crow T Robot statue?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hopefully it's a skull with handles from which beer can be drunk

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

Is it a Crow T Robot statue?

No, but this is.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Anyone mind taking a quick look at my list of 1250 from a few pages back? I'd like to get some final input before I jump into this tourney.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It looks pretty good. Tiggy and 9 Honor guard may be too many eggs in one basket, but I'd be scared of it

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

SRM posted:

"SRM's Discount Catachans" is the name of the little league team I'll coach when I hit middle age.

"Discount Catachans" is the name of my Bolt Thrower tribute band.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tequila Ranger posted:

"Discount Catachans" is the name of my Bolt Thrower tribute band.

Mine's "Gorechild"

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Bolt Thrower Tribute Band is the name of my Celine Dion tribute band.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hmmnnn. SO thanks to ~shenanigans~ I'm going to be trading my Nid collection away for about 250 euros worth of warhammer stuff I get to pick - as in, dude gets my minis, he buys me GW or FW poo poo in return. This'd be a perfect time to pick up some of the stuff I've ALWAYS WANTED - namely, some combinations of Deredeos, Xiphons or a Typhon. Alternatively, some of those coolass Deathshroud Terminators for counts-as hammernators. Gah, so hard to choose...

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It looks pretty good. Tiggy and 9 Honor guard may be too many eggs in one basket, but I'd be scared of it

Thanks, was kind of my worry along with them kind of being stuck walking but maybe a Rhino can provide them a pick up if things get to dicey.

I've kind of been hesitant to take much other than Tiggy since I can't take Calgar and it is low points. The only other HQ I've considered is a bike chapter master, but without a command squad on bikes I feel he would be at a disadvantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

And what of our other potential guests? Chimurgon, ANAmal, Shadow Daishi

We're probably not going to be there.

• Locked thread