Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Cookout is the weirdest sect of Christianity in existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

Cookout is the weirdest sect of Christianity in existence

In what way? I try to just ignore it all

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

It's a very subtly pro-Christian chain, not in an obnoxious way but like pleasantville type

It's like they took loaves and fishes literally and decided to make really cheap fast food bundles

Also one opened in my college town and started making a loving killing just after I left :(

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

It's a very subtly pro-Christian chain, not in an obnoxious way but like pleasantville type

It's like they took loaves and fishes literally and decided to make really cheap fast food bundles

Also one opened in my college town and started making a loving killing just after I left :(

College kids love it, it's always packed. Five bucks for a ton of food.

And yeah they have very out of the way places they put their bible quotes so they're not immediately visible

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ixtlilton posted:

And hello Ernest! I haven't gotten to talk to you in a while!

hi ixt i'm being murdered at work

but soon i'll have something great to show for it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I can't tell if this is a good bad movie or a bad good movie?

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Welcome to the house of fun!

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

It's hard to tell Ecco, but if you want to see a film that was way better than it had any right to be and still in a dystopian sci-fi future then Edge of Tomorrow I think is on netflix if you haven't seen it.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I watched edge of tomorrow on hbo a few weeks ago it was absolutely delightful, just a wonderful thrill.

My favorite character so far is bosslady, I think she is the secret hero of this movie (curtis is a bad guy right?)

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Ecco you should watch the cult Charlie Sheen hit Food Fight.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
aahahah that movie was ridiculous, just absolutely bonkers. leaning on bad good movie right now

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!
PM- Do you live in Indiana too?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
He's a french canadian. :greenangel:

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 29, 2015

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Who wants to play online correspondence-type chess with me? It's a game I can find time for between taking care of baby. I'm kaschei on chess.com or you can just click here and press "Challenge to Play" after signing up if necessary. I'm not terribly good or anything but it is fun and I can actually find time to make moves sometimes (I certainly have trouble finding time to post). If a Mafia Chess Club re-forms so much the better.

Also I heard Amazon was making a The Man in the High Castle series or something and so you guys should talk about how you read that book solely on my recommendation and realized how great Philip K. Dick was at writing. And then bitch about how Amazon have ruined it or whatever. I wish I had time to read that book again.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

EccoRaven posted:

I watched edge of tomorrow on hbo a few weeks ago it was absolutely delightful, just a wonderful thrill.

Tom Cruise's resurgence between that and Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation has really surprised me to the point that I'm going to go back and watch the last few Mission Impossibles. Like, the most recent thing I've seen with him as a lead was War of the Worlds I think.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Ecco you should watch the cult Charlie Sheen hit Food Fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2TV4lupHME

I still can't get over the unironic Xavier: Renegade Angel-level animation

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

btw I blew off most of my packing until tonight and jesus christ never buy a bigass juicer, it's a nightmare to clean, it takes up a ton of space, and you have to get rid of a bunch of slimy byproduct every time you use it

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Power of Pecota posted:

btw I blew off most of my packing until tonight and jesus christ never buy a bigass juicer, it's a nightmare to clean, it takes up a ton of space, and you have to get rid of a bunch of slimy byproduct every time you use it

Interestingly, this is also why you should never hire me for sex work.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think Snowpiercer is just a good movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

BottleKnight posted:

He's a french canadian. :greenangel:

Obviously :rolleyes:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I have a 3 day weekend :toot:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Who was it here who knew how to do tarot readings? I remember someone could from the game where I was A MIGHTY WIZARD OF SHOUTING WHO GRANTED BOONS.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

LUTR

I'm also learning 🐯

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Jake's tarot readings in the awful survivor thread were great.

JakeP posted:

cups are generally associated with drinking, you gonna get very drunk

unfortunately then you die from drinking too much

your children will become homeless, and will have to sell their clothes, and do their dishes in a pond outside

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Diqnol, I might get to go the Uhaul rental route thing anyway. Thank god it looks like there's one nearby that has extremely short-notice rentals available.

I think the person who schedule my move hosed up because the hours of operation for the company end at 1:00 on Saturday and I was scheduled to have my stuff picked up between 3:00 and 5:00. Technically I've still got a few minutes in the window, but nobody's at their office and I think they'd kinda need to have that if they have people doing moves and stuff. I haven't received any communication from them at all.

I'm kinda torn because if that is how this shakes out I'm probably saving money (although I'll be dragging poo poo to a freight elevator for most of tomorrow) but I kinda feel royally hosed over because my movers are (~5 minutes away from) a no-show pretty close to when a lease is running out and if not for the Uhaul thing I'd be having like a panic attack. I feel like they should give me something for screwing that up but what's a moving company going to do if you already had to move yourself because they screwed up your appointment?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

Diqnol, I might get to go the Uhaul rental route thing anyway. Thank god it looks like there's one nearby that has extremely short-notice rentals available.

I think the person who schedule my move hosed up because the hours of operation for the company end at 1:00 on Saturday and I was scheduled to have my stuff picked up between 3:00 and 5:00. Technically I've still got a few minutes in the window, but nobody's at their office and I think they'd kinda need to have that if they have people doing moves and stuff. I haven't received any communication from them at all.

I'm kinda torn because if that is how this shakes out I'm probably saving money (although I'll be dragging poo poo to a freight elevator for most of tomorrow) but I kinda feel royally hosed over because my movers are (~5 minutes away from) a no-show pretty close to when a lease is running out and if not for the Uhaul thing I'd be having like a panic attack. I feel like they should give me something for screwing that up but what's a moving company going to do if you already had to move yourself because they screwed up your appointment?

They owe you big. If they don't give you a refund, apologize profusely, and offer you an incentive of some sort to not call the BBB, give them bad reviews anywhere you can because thats BS.

The Uhaul route is great, though, because you save money and you get to skip a gym day. You also get to make sure everything is properly taken care of in how it's moved. I advise enlisting a buddy and giving them some beer or something to help or yeah, it might be a while. Good luck bud!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 27, 2020

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

My uhaul is I just carry all my worldly possessions on my back.

I am very strong you see.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

My uhaul is I just carry all my worldly possessions on my back.

I am very strong you see.

You're also like a uhaul in that you have a lot of junk in your trunk.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've had nothing but bad experiences with moving.

I've used uhaul for actually moving my stuff between cities every time. The first time they didn't have the size of truck that I wanted, only one size smaller but tried to use the same contract price of the original truck they didn't have. Another time they didn't have the size I asked for but insisted I pay more for the one that was larger which was the only one they had. They've gotten dates wrong on contracts then charged an arm and a leg for having the truck outside of the contract hours. When I called to tell them that it was wrong on the contract and shouldn't have to pay, but I couldn't give the name of the employee from the original city I wasn't in anymore I was called a liar and they said they'd be charging my credit card and there was nothing I could do about it.

I've used movers twice on this last move, one in the city I was leaving and one in the city I'm in now. The ones here now were actually really great and efficient. It was a father and son and they were pleasant and did everything they could, but the ones in the city I left showed up 5 hours late, there were 3 of them and 1 just stood around the whole time on his phone. We paid online beforehand through the uhaul system of hiring movers but they tried to get us to pay them in cash when they were done. They also did a totally poo poo job of packing the truck such that one of my bookshelves was completely broken upon arrival.

Moving is always the most stressful thing I've ever done in my life. I will put up with all sorts of lovely landlord and apartment crap to avoid moving.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh actually the first time I moved when I didn't have any furniture other than a desk and chair, but only personal items I used a van rented by a car rental place and that went fine, so maybe check that out Pecota and see if that's a cheaper option. It may or may not be depending on your area.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

You're also like a uhaul in that you have a lot of junk in your trunk.

I also use a lot of fuel and my exhaust is particularly stinky.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I had Noodles and Company for dinner tonight mafia thread. I really like Noodles and Company. It is a good restaurant, at least for my city.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Today I moved my aquarium to another house and it was one of more stressful parts of this move

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

I would get a Power Lunch with my friend Melissa every other Wednesday at a N&C last year. Their mac and cheese is so bad for you but it tastes so good.

=====

here is the story about how I got banned from uhaul:

I was moving into a new apartment and had to empty out my storage unit in a town ~3 hours away. The move-in date was February 1st, and so in December I scheduled a uhaul for a 10am pickup in the town with my storage unit, to be dropped off at the end of the day at the new location. I hired some movers both at the storage unit and the apartment, and even negotiated with my Token Male Friend to be around as well for lifting and driving.

Two days before (January 30th) I get an email from UHaul telling me my reservation is confirmed! ...for noon. In a town an hour further away.

I call and (very reasonably) ask them what the heck, they said "oh yeah there's snow so like all our trucks are busy except for that one, but if there's an opening we'll let you know." So I figure, whatever. I call my movers and my peoples, push everything back a few hours, it's annoying but whatever, this is life.

The morning of the next day (January 31st) I get another email, telling me they had a truck in the right town, but it'd have to be 3pm, and dropped back off by the end of the day at the same place. I call and express my amazement. I ask what happened to the other truck, and the representative said "oh the person who has it before you extended their reservation." I was flabbergasted. Appalled. I tell him this is just unacceptable, I made all these reservations and plans weeks ago and they're expecting me to just change all of them at the drop of a hat? But the guy on the phone acts with absolute rudeness. The impression I got (whether correct or incorrect) was that, he could help me out, but he's choosing not to, because it would be effort on his part that he doesn't want to do. He finishes his spiel by telling me "this is the best we can do, take it or leave it."

So I tell him to gently caress himself, hang up, and rent with Penske instead (which was a whole other bag of frustration, a day before moving, omg, but it was better than uhaul). Mia madre called to complain as well (since she was paying for the move) and they informed her I was banned for life until I apologized for my "obscene language" to UHaul the commercial entity. Not the representative, but to UHaul itself.

The whole ordeal was just awful. Moving across country was easier.

Man, gently caress Uhaul.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

It's amazing how far even the tiniest bit of customer service goes. Using any amount of empathy in discussing problems or situations with a customer is so, so easy and it's incredible when people can't even manage that.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
snip

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

a Rome marathon is on hbo right now and I haven't watched it since my high school latin classes and it's so exciting. pompey JUST got assassinated in egypt and I squealed. I know the roman empire was the first example of successful european imperialism and I as an educated western shouldn't fetishize classical culture so much but I really really do. I spent so much of my youth reading myths and translating cicero and I am sure it has indelibly affected my thinking and interests well into the present day and I don't care. togas and pagans and centurions oh my

I also enjoyed Romans when I was a child. As a young lad I was very interested in WARFARE AND BLOOD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I don't think you have to feel ashamed for appreciating classical culture. I love ancient greece and have studied it quite a bit. My major emphasis is also European History pre-WWI. Studying European Imperialism is very very interesting.