Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Anyone have recommendations for iCloud unlocking?

Long story short. Need one unlocked with no access to the email. Older mini that's been abandoned but on new enough iOS that its find my iPhone activation locked. :(

Just remove it from Find My iPhone tracking. Or just turn off all iCloud features.

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH2702

quote:

If you’re no longer using an iOS device or Mac, you can remove it from Find My iPhone. When you remove a device, it’s removed from your Find My iPhone Devices list, and if your device has iOS 7 or later, Activation Lock is also turned off.

quote:

You can also remove your device by turning off iCloud completely on that device. Turning off iCloud turns off all iCloud features on the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Don't you need the password for that?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GutBomb posted:

Don't you need the password for that?

I misunderstood the question.

If you can prove ownership (usually a receipt) to Apple, then I believe they'll unlock it for you. Otherwise it's just a hunk of glass, plastic and metal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

flosofl posted:

I misunderstood the question.

If you can prove ownership (usually a receipt) to Apple, then I believe they'll unlock it for you. Otherwise it's just a hunk of glass, plastic and metal.

Hence why I ask. I have to assume there's1 or 2 shady semi legit places. Honestly it's in flawless condition and is good for parts so whatever but we'd rather use it. Dunno its origin, it showed up at our job and never left (used goods etc). It's as legit as it can be without a receipt as far as we know but you know how that is in the buy sell world of electronics.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

flosofl posted:

Otherwise it's just a hunk of glass, plastic and metal.

Some of you keep repeating this. When my parents got their iPad stolen, I locked it on iCloud and told them to take solace in that fact (and that insurance would buy them a new one). However, later to convince myself, I did some basic googling and quickly found many recipes for removing the lock from a device. It would make sense too, I've never talked to anyone who had any luck with tracking their stolen device this way. I dunno, maybe the Romanian robber gangs that crosses our borders are hacking geniuses?

Anyone have more info on this?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

Rnr posted:

Some of you keep repeating this. When my parents got their iPad stolen, I locked it on iCloud and told them to take solace in that fact (and that insurance would buy them a new one). However, later to convince myself, I did some basic googling and quickly found many recipes for removing the lock from a device. It would make sense too, I've never talked to anyone who had any luck with tracking their stolen device this way. I dunno, maybe the Romanian robber gangs that crosses our borders are hacking geniuses?

When I left my iPad in the train it got taken by someone who took it home with him. The iPad was offline at that point and as soon as I got home I locked it via find my iPad. Got an email with an approximate address and location soon after when he logged in to his Wi-Fi network and a phone call (I put my cell number on the lockscreen) demanding a finders fee soon after.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Rnr posted:

Which iPad was it? IIRC in the past couple OS versions and iDevice releases that stuff has been locked down way more tightly.

I had my phone stolen from me at a train station waiting on my brother to pick me up, he was like a 5 minute drive away so I was able to lock my iPhone and apparently they dropped it in the street and some dude picked it up and contacted me.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Rnr posted:

Trust me. You can't unlock it unless you're an employee

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Trust me. You can't unlock it unless you're an employee

Correct. And what we site is currently the go to with a disgruntled Apple employee.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Correct. And what we site is currently the go to with a disgruntled Apple employee.

Which can lead to them getting fired really quick as it needs a manager override and they need to see pop.

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
Any recommendations for a keyboard case for the iPad Air? I used to have a Zagg Folio which was fine but the hinges kept breaking.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Which can lead to them getting fired really quick as it needs a manager override and they need to see pop.

Happens but I'm not taking the risk. Dunno why you'd be trying to talk me out if unbricking and iPad that's going to end up parts anyways.

If anyone knows a good place, cool. If not. Cool. Not stressing major about it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Any recommendations for a keyboard case for the iPad Air? I used to have a Zagg Folio which was fine but the hinges kept breaking.

The Wirecutter covers most of the popular review favourites here.

Personally, I prefer the flexibility of a compact BT keyboard and the apple smart case. Many desks don't have enough space for all the stuff I'd like, or it's more ergonomic to type from my lap or whatever.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

tuyop posted:

The Wirecutter covers most of the popular review favourites here.

Personally, I prefer the flexibility of a compact BT keyboard and the apple smart case. Many desks don't have enough space for all the stuff I'd like, or it's more ergonomic to type from my lap or whatever.

I mistakenly bought the non-pro version of the qode, but I really like it. The non-pro basically isn't detachable and has no portrait ability, which would be nice to have, but I also snagged it on prime day for cheaper, so it's fine.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Happens but I'm not taking the risk. Dunno why you'd be trying to talk me out if unbricking and iPad that's going to end up parts anyways.

If anyone knows a good place, cool. If not. Cool. Not stressing major about it.

I'm not talking you out of it. I'm saying there's no other way of doing it other than proof of purchase at an apple store or Applecare

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I have this and it's fantastic. Connects in a second, acts as a great case and feels solid. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00RMMMZW0

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Smoking_Dragon posted:

Belkin QODE Pro. I use it every day, and if I need to I can easily detach the iPad without removing the protective shell and use a smart cover with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-QODE-Ultimate-Keyboard-Black/dp/B00Q5CZ0LQ/

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

If I send myself a PDF with Pushbullet, what's the easiest way to load that PDF in my PDF viewer? (I use TinyPDF for no particular reason, if there's a better option I'm open to hearing it).

Related: Is there any way to get a file manager without jailbreaking?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Would now be a really bad time to buy an iPad? All I can find rumoured for October is a Surface rip-off but the price drop for all models is inevitable, right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shumagorath posted:

All I can find rumoured for October is a Surface rip-off but the price drop for all models is inevitable, right?

Lol to both statements in that sentence.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
...lol if you think a 13" iPad isn't a reaction to the Surface line selling well?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Shumagorath posted:

the Surface line selling well*† ‡

*† ‡compared to its totally dismal launch, still a drop in the bucket even when compared with flagging iPad sales

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Would now be a really bad time to buy an iPad? All I can find rumoured for October is a Surface rip-off but the price drop for all models is inevitable, right?

Ignoring the retarded 2nd sentence, can't hurt to wait until September 9th to find out.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Shumagorath posted:

...lol if you think a 13" iPad isn't a reaction to the Surface line selling well?

lol if you think any market action by a multi-billion dollar company isn't based on the state of the market which consists of competitors offerings, or that in any way these choices are bad for the consumer.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

Ignoring the retarded 2nd sentence, can't hurt to wait until September 9th to find out.

September is normally reserved for iPhones. October is the usual iPad refresh announcement.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There were some rumors they're not doing a full sized iPad this year but that's probably bullshit.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
Has anyone dealt with having to replace an iPad Air screen?
My dad's broke his and we're trying to decide between Apple at $299 or a local place that charges $125 but uses iBic glass to replace it. I can't seem to find any reviews on it though. He doesn't have Applecare. Any advice is appreciated!

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If the iPad is still under warranty, definitely take it to the Apple store. If you get it repaired somewhere else and then have more problems, Apple most likely won't touch it if it's been worked on by some place not authorized.

ohjoshdarnit
Nov 2, 2005
Adventurer
Thanks. I don't think it's under warranty but we've figured out the best way to go is likely to trade it into apple and pay the difference for a new one which is about 250 for his model.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

ohjoshdarnit posted:

Has anyone dealt with having to replace an iPad Air screen?
My dad's broke his and we're trying to decide between Apple at $299 or a local place that charges $125 but uses iBic glass to replace it. I can't seem to find any reviews on it though. He doesn't have Applecare. Any advice is appreciated!

FYI at that cheap of a replacement the screen is probably horrible junk. The only repairs I will do (I HATE iPad repairs) are with the OEM glass, everything else has failed on me after short periods of time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

mAlfunkti0n posted:

FYI at that cheap of a replacement the screen is probably horrible junk. The only repairs I will do (I HATE iPad repairs) are with the OEM glass, everything else has failed on me after short periods of time.

How do you replace an iPad screen?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

How do you replace an iPad screen?

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPad+Air+Wi-Fi+LCD+Replacement/25018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yeah that looks like a brutal, finicky job that I want nothing to do with.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

Yeah that looks like a brutal, finicky job that I want nothing to do with.

Anyone who enjoys doing the repair is a sadist.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Anyone who enjoys doing the repair is a sadist.

You mean masochist :pseudo:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been using my iPad at my bedside with "Hey Siri" enabled -- it's awesome for bed stuff. Not a notable post but I just have to ask --

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who instinctively thanks Siri after giving "her" a command.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I've been using my iPad at my bedside with "Hey Siri" enabled -- it's awesome for bed stuff. Not a notable post but I just have to ask --

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one who instinctively thanks Siri after giving "her" a command.

I thank Siri, but I changed it to a male voice because it's creepy as gently caress to carry around a subservient woman everywhere I go. Also, sexism.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I thank the machine that gives me my receipt at the garage I park in.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
i leave a little offering for sliding glass doors every morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I shhh sliding doors as everyone else should. The only issue I have with hey, Siri is that I need to tell her goodbye or that'll be all so she turns off the screen.