Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is not even Jason's costume is Dick's. People has the idea Alfred went off the deep end with grief over Dick's supposed dead.

As for your question, in the N52/DCYou at least Jason's death was around two or three years ago. In real time it has been a decade since Jason was brought back as the Red Hood and at this point he has spent more time as Red Hood than dead.

1988-2005 is not less than 2005-2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

1988-2005 is not less than 2005-2015

My bad, got the dates confused.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
What are the books (outside anything titled Batman) that are selling well for DC and which ones aren't?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

What are the books (outside anything titled Batman) that are selling well for DC and which ones aren't?

According to the Beat

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

According to the Beat

Wars sell really well, it seems.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jesus. I knew Harley was a surprise hit for them, but it's outselling Detective?!

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Makes me kind of sad to see that the comic with the largest issue number on that list is The Walking Dead.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Gaz-L posted:

Jesus. I knew Harley was a surprise hit for them, but it's outselling Detective?!
PG and Harley aint doing bad either. That's the star power of Vartox, baby.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

lotus circle posted:

I think as far as Flash goes, DC would probably benefit from a small amount of streamlining between comics and television. They pretty obviously re-introduced Reverse Flash when they did because he was a major part of the show and was fantastically written to boot, but I wouldn't mind seeing Cisco or Caitlin's comic counterparts gaining a presence in the comic.

I love how the show was the impetus for DC to rush out returning a bunch of characters to the title and they did it with an awful creative team who botched the entire process.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Is the Harley Quinn comic good?

edit: I heard the Buccelatto Flash run was good though, right?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 28, 2015

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Kurtofan posted:

Is the Harley Quinn comic good?

edit: I heard the Buccelatto Flash run was good though, right?

I think most posters here hate it and call it a Deadpool knock off. I haven't sat down to read the collection I got on the cheap during a comixology sale yet but I generally enjoy Palmiotti's stuff.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I found HQ a bit scatterbrained but I didn't hate it as much as people here did. I don't think it is a terrible comic but definitely one of those comics where it is either your thing or not. If it's your thing then you will find it enjoyable. It is definitely supposed to be more comedic and fun in tone, but also pretty violent.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I had to drop Harley Quinn during the Power Girl arc because they passed the number of tit jokes per page I could endure and keep going. As said above, you can definitely read an arc, or maybe a handful of issues, and know if it's your thing or not. It's Dial W for WWWWWACKY style humor.

As for Flash, the start of the New 52 to whenever they changed the creative team (~25 issues) is good stuff and well worth reading. The entire Lemire run of Arrow is worth reading, too. It's being collected into a deluxe edition some time soon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I read the free sneak peek of the new Harley book where she's naming her gang, it was pretty funny imo. There really wasn't any fourth wall breaking, maybe a little bit of genre savvy, but nothing on the level of Deadpool.

Of course that was just the little preview.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The Buccallato/Manapul run on Flash is very, very good.

Travis343 posted:

I read the free sneak peek of the new Harley book where she's naming her gang, it was pretty funny imo. There really wasn't any fourth wall breaking, maybe a little bit of genre savvy, but nothing on the level of Deadpool.

Of course that was just the little preview.

The first issue is Harley arguing with Jimmy and Amanda about who her new penciller should be. Literally down to Amanda having a caption box objecting to being labelled 'the girl who draws the big boobs'. (I'm not passing judgement, by the way. Some of the gags are funny. Just pointing out there is definite 4th wall stuff. The Annual also did the same thing with jokes about Harley wearing an outfit mostly because Amanda had designed a statue with her wearing it)

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Aug 28, 2015

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Gaz-L posted:

The first issue is Harley arguing with Jimmy and Amanda about who her new penciller should be. Literally down to Amanda having a caption box objecting to being labelled 'the girl who draws the big boobs'. (I'm not passing judgement, by the way. Some of the gags are funny. Just pointing out there is definite 4th wall stuff. The Annual also did the same thing with jokes about Harley wearing an outfit mostly because Amanda had designed a statue with her wearing it)
That first issue was pretty fun, and the page from Jim Lee was probably my favorite.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
While I don't like Harley Quinn, I'd say it's still miles above Way's Deadpool. I generally think Harley is a pretty interesting character that has a lot of potential when played straight so I'm predisposed to not liking her current series, but after about 6 issues or so you've seen all the series has to offer and then it just kinda gets stuck on repeat forever.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Harley Quinn is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it's really funny, and other times it tries too hard. I'd say it's worth a shot, and it's nice that they're going with a well-meaning Harley rather than the child murdering one that was set up in the 0 issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

the child murdering one that was set up in the 0 issue.

That was in Matt Kindt's villains month Detective Comics #23.2, not the #0. Nothing to do with Palmiotti/Conner.

e:
Just reading JL3001 #3, I love their design of Hall as a shrunken down guy living in the pocket of a light construct.

ee: and Starro sitting in a chair.

Nice Dale Eaglesham variant too.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 29, 2015

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I used to say JL3000 is the best Justice League but I am digging the hell out of Darkseid War but JL3000 or 3001 or whatever is still all kinds of awesome. People should read it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Have Beetle and Booster played any significant role since the reboot as JL 3001? I only bought the last few issues of JL 3000 because of them.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Have Beetle and Booster played any significant role since the reboot as JL 3001? I only bought the last few issues of JL 3000 because of them.

They've just reappeared this issue in a 'B' team (dealing with giant turtle Jimmy Olsen) with Barry Allen, Hall, Fire and Ice. There's a time shift between the series, so you don't see that set up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
DC denies the rumors about DC You: http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/despite-rumors-dc-comics-stands-behind-dc-you-initiative-moving-forward

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

quote:

"If you’re trying to build a fan base, a new audience, you’ve got to nurture it. You’ve got to take your time. You’ve got to take your losses,” DiDio told the paper. "Sooner or later, it’s going to take hold and hopefully be a leader in the business. Right now, our goal is to try and feed out as much product that’s as different as possible to try and attract the widest audience possible." He added that DC will start “adjusting a little bit, and start to focus" their methods in the months ahead.

Basically exactly what I was expecting DC to do/say, but it's still good to hear DC's higher ups understand that they can't expect the rebranding/new books to catch on overnight :unsmith:. So far of the DC You new books I've been reading, I think the worst I can say is "Doomed is okay, I need to see more to form a solid opinion".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That does sound to me as pure damage control though

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That does sound to me as pure damage control though

What do you expect them to say?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Norns posted:

"Dark Titsanime was RIGHT."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

"Starting next month Jason Todd will be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Any time he is not on the page, the other characters will be asking loudly, 'Where's Jason?'"

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
DC's strategy any time they're getting ravaged by rumors is to bunker down and respond to nothing. The fact that they're commenting at all is rare.

DiDio's comments are right on the money and it's good that upper management seems to understand that they're not going to build a new audience overnight. I think we're still going to see some pretty drastic changes in the coming months, but I'm convinced it's going to revolve around fixing up their tentpole properties that have slipped down the charts rather than clear cutting all of the new titles.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
As long as Prez gets a second mini. That will be my measuring stick on the changes that are coming.
Also i thnk DT wants to say "I told you so" very badly right now, even though DC now has critically acclaimed books.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Madkal posted:

As long as Prez gets a second mini. That will be my measuring stick on the changes that are coming.
Also i thnk DT wants to say "I told you so" very badly right now, even though DC now has critically acclaimed books.

He wants this to fail so badly and wants us not to know it. It's great.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Travis343 posted:

"Starting next month Jason Todd will be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Any time he is not on the page, the other characters will be asking loudly, 'Where's Jason?'"

"His appearance will be heralded by a large, improperly placed sound effect that simply reads 'JASON!'. Any time he leaves, this will be accompanied by a similar sound effect that reads 'UN-JASON!'."

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That actually sounds better than several books I've read.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

That actually sounds better than several books I've read.

I was going to disagree, but then I remembered Batman Beyond, the one DC You book I read and dislike and it would honestly be better if it was nothing but Terry trying to find Batman Beyond Jason.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

http://www.kongregate.com/games/kthorjensen/press-x-to-jason

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

graybook posted:

"His appearance will be heralded by a large, improperly placed sound effect that simply reads 'JASON!'. Any time he leaves, this will be accompanied by a similar sound effect that reads 'UN-JASON!'."

I like the idea of Jason Todd getting the same treatment that Walt Simonson gave Surtur.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Did not press X.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Norns posted:

Not purely PR speak I guess.

Travis343 posted:

That sounds awful, specially with the beauty that is Red Hood/Arsenal around.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He wants this to fail so badly and wants us not to know it. It's great.

Why I'd want that? :psyduck:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't know for sure, but I assume titties factor in somehow.

Also that poochy quote already describes Jason, without the time machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't know for sure, but I assume titties factor in somehow.

He got pissed off over the changes they made to Starfire for her new series.

• Locked thread