Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

ding ding ding, a macguffin is the thing everyone wants.
you know more about writing than david cage.

This implies David Cage knows anything at all about writing, rather than just making up arbitrary self-imposed rules for writing because ~*video games*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

David Cage doesn't know anything about kids either. Or women. Or human beings.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Ekster posted:

David Cage doesn't know anything about kids either. Or women. Or human beings.

David Cage is the true inhuman, unspeakable horror. Why are we even talking about other games?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Isn't a MaxGuffin supposed to be an item that drives the plot? In that case the origami isn't a MacGuffin, they are just objective markers. The game doesn't have a solitary thing they are chasing, beside the kid himself

The MacGuffin drives the plot but specifically has no relevance to the actual events. Like the Big Whoop in Monkey Island 2 or One Piece in, uh, One Piece.

So the origami are a plot device for Shelby as they connect the murders to him but none of the other characters are actually searching for them. Even Jayden, the FBI agent investigating the serial killer, completely ignores the origami and focuses completely on the orchid.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 29, 2015

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad posted:

You could've just opened with this and saved everyone the headache of reading your posts.

lo siento for not liking the mediocre game you liked.

Ekster posted:

David Cage doesn't know anything about kids either.

the opening part of heavy rain is great for this.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

the opening part of heavy rain is great for this.

It's even more bizarre because he has two sons of more or less the same age afaik.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
My favorite part of Heavy Rain is that the convoluted death trap for the kid required more rain than Seattle gets in a year.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ekster posted:

It's even more bizarre because he has two sons of more or less the same age afaik.

His kids did voice acting in the game iirc

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ayn rand hand job posted:

His kids did voice acting in the game iirc

Helps explain why they were pretty bad.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Wanderer posted:

"Figuring stuff out" and "exploring" are both perfectly valid forms of gameplay.

"Figuring out the plot" is fanwank, not gameplay. :colbert:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

my real reason for disliking it is it wasn't worth 20 bucks.

i guess we could just call them simulators. flight simulators aren't really games or even fun except for plane spergs.

lmao are you seriously whining about the price of a game on steam: a distribution mechanism that regularly runs discounts to the extent of 75% off?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Shadowlyger posted:

"Figuring out the plot" is fanwank, not gameplay. :colbert:

As cute as it is that you've found two threads to be completely wrong in...

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

I mean give me lore blurbs about the setting, sure, I am all over that. But if the sum total of a game's "gameplay" can be found on a wiki page then that doesn't sound like a very fun game to me.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ayn rand hand job posted:

My favorite part of Heavy Rain is that the convoluted death trap for the kid required more rain than Seattle gets in a year.

The fact that it takes place in Philly (in/around my neighborhood mostly, the first Jayden segment takes place right around the corner from my house) is hilarious, since we've never had nearly that much rainfall.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

lmao are you seriously whining about the price of a game on steam: a distribution mechanism that regularly runs discounts to the extent of 75% off?

it was 20 bucks when it came out and it's a 5-10 dollar game.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What? Snape kills Dumbledore? Alright, that's all I need to know, time to throw this into the woodchipper.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

What? Snape kills Dumbledore? Alright, that's all I need to know, time to throw this into the woodchipper.

That's a book, genius. When I pick up a book it's to read the story. When I pick up a game it's to have entertaining gameplay. What the hell is the point of a game that isn't fun?

Exploration and story are parts of gameplay, sure, but if they're the only parts of gameplay present then that just doesn't sound like a fun game to me.

EDIT: Also a better comparison would be that I'd have no reason to read Harry Potter myself if someone else had already read it to me.

EDIT 2: There's also something to be said about these games from a development standpoint. If there's no fun, engaging gameplay then Youtube becomes your number one source of piracy, as I said before. There's no reason to play Gone Home if you already know the story. Meanwhile take... let's say, any Mario game. You already know the story for a Mario game and you don't even need a wiki page for that, but the gameplay is still fun.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 30, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadowlyger posted:

I mean give me lore blurbs about the setting, sure, I am all over that. But if the sum total of a game's "gameplay" can be found on a wiki page then that doesn't sound like a very fun game to me.

So the experience can't be an enjoyable part of the package? You can appreciate art on your phone but there's something you can't replicate about being in a museum setting and doing the same thing.

Take away the visuals and video games are nothing more than input. A good game maintains an illusion, it keeps the player constantly pressing a button to see something happen on screen. If a game never breaks that illusion then it doesn't matter if the input isn't complex. Obviously the illusion is lost on you, and that's fine you can't please everyone, but we wouldn't be talking about it if many people weren't interested.

To tie this back into horror games, I think the genre completely fell apart the more videogame-y they became. Horror games struggled with how much agency to give the player and few people figured it out right. On one extreme you let the player fight the enemies and render the horror a threat can be defeated. On the other extreme the goal is reaching an objective in which case we see the horror too often to hide the long stretches where nothing happens.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Shadowlyger posted:

That's a book, genius. When I pick up a book it's to read the story. When I pick up a game it's to have entertaining gameplay. What the hell is the point of a game that isn't fun?

Exploration and story are parts of gameplay, sure, but if they're the only parts of gameplay present then that just doesn't sound like a fun game to me.

Congratulations on being a unique snowflake with a particular perspective on the world, I suppose.

I find the process of slowly untangling a narrative to be a satisfying process when it's done well. It challenges a different set of skills, similar to a "whodunit." A book may do the same thing, but it doesn't offer the same experience of gradually exploring the game's world, or of comparing notes on it with other players after the fact.

If you don't enjoy that, don't feel so defensive about it that you have to poo poo on the genre. You can have an opinion, slugger, it's okay. Nobody's going to call upon you to back that poo poo up in a battle, and you objecting to the genre's existence isn't going to make the people who do enjoy it suddenly realize the error of their ways.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
This thread sucks massive dick, now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

al-azad posted:

To tie this back into horror games, I think the genre completely fell apart the more videogame-y they became. Horror games struggled with how much agency to give the player and few people figured it out right. On one extreme you let the player fight the enemies and render the horror a threat can be defeated. On the other extreme the goal is reaching an objective in which case we see the horror too often to hide the long stretches where nothing happens.

I thought that was something that the better Fatal Frame and Silent Hil games did very well, and which not many subsequent games have picked up on. You have a good balance of player agency and general hopelessness, because both games effectively communicate the idea that the real problem you're up against is too big to be beaten into submission.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

GANDHITRON posted:

This thread sucks massive dick, now.

The David Cage mocking was pretty good, but 'walking simulator' griping is always pretty bad yeah.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah, at some unspecified point the Horror Games Megathread morphed from horror games to "how to integrate story and gameplay in less-conventional games" thread.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, at some unspecified point the Horror Games Megathread morphed from horror games to "how to integrate story and gameplay in less-conventional games" thread.

The true horror.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I played a bit of Cosmology of Kyoto this weekend. It was definitely eerie and unsettling, but also very informative. It was pretty neat for a walking simulator.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

This just in; some people find things fun and intriguing that other people may not. News at 11. Threadshitting at ... now.

Has anyone here have first hand experience with the rift and some horror games? I would like to hear some of those stories if the thread wouldn't mind.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I just finished up what's currently available for Layers of Fear and I have to say it was pretty good all around. I was reading one of the negative reviews and it was pretty much 'I guess I'm just jaded, but none of the game really scared me', and it kinda made me expect that I was going to end up feeling the same but it did enough interesting things with the scare setups that I didn't mind the obvious jump scares. Like it had a couple of situations where a door would disappear once you looked away and something would pop up when you turned back in the previous direction, and it was so seamless that it just left me smiling. I definitely look forward to seeing the ending.

GANDHITRON posted:

I played a bit of Cosmology of Kyoto this weekend. It was definitely eerie and unsettling, but also very informative. It was pretty neat for a walking simulator.
I've always been meaning to play that; didn't someone say that it just comes free in DOSBox now or something?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Professor of Cats posted:

Has anyone here have first hand experience with the rift and some horror games? I would like to hear some of those stories if the thread wouldn't mind.

Whatever you do, don't play I think it was Source games with it. That poo poo turns into vomit-comet nausea really fast for some reason.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
layers of fear is good :thumbsup:

first game ive had to tone down graphically in four years :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad posted:

So the origami are a plot device for Shelby as they connect the murders to him but none of the other characters are actually searching for them. Even Jayden, the FBI agent investigating the serial killer, completely ignores the origami and focuses completely on the orchid.

Yes, but in that interview he was specifically talking about the mysterious post-blackout origami as being a macguffin I thought

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

layers of fear is good :thumbsup:

first game ive had to tone down graphically in four years :(
Yeah, it did seem like sometimes the game did chug for me but it was a lovely game all around.

Also does anyone have an idea of how long Fran Bow is? I wouldn't mind picking it up, but I worry about running into another Neverending Nightmare situation and having a game with an interesting aesthetic that's inevitably only two hours of shallow of game play.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I wish they were making a condemned 3

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Niggurath posted:

I've always been meaning to play that; didn't someone say that it just comes free in DOSBox now or something?

Yeah, just google Cosmology of Kyoto and I think it's the second link, the Kotaku one. Whoops, here is what I downloaded. You just unzip it and read the readmefirst.txt file and set it up real quick. The game itself is a bit dated, but it's cool if you aim to kill a couple hours. Some notes:

• You can't see the text that you type in the box, or at least that's what happened to me. Anyways, most of your answers should just be "yes" or "no"
• Remember your character's name because it's actually the password to load your saved game
• You can save by hitting ctrl+s, or save and quit with ctrl-q
• There is a proper way to "win" the game, but you'd be better off dicking around for a little just to get a feel for it instead
• If you do want to see the proper ending, you'll need a guide because there's a specific set of actions you'll need to take
• I don't think there is a way to make money beyond what you find and what you can get for pawning your poo poo. Be careful about what you spend on
• The kanji at the top of the screen is actually the map. The "reference" button is like an encyclopedia for all the weird poo poo in the game and will have the most relevant passages to the current area immediately available (read the one about "sushi ayu")

And if you like Japanese ghost stories where there seems to be no moral, watch "Kwaidan," it's a beautiful and eerie film.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 30, 2015

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I wish they were making a condemned 3

I feel you there.

Condemned 2 also had surprisingly fun multiplayer. Cops vs psychos in pretty spooky maps, cops had to find evidence and put down the crazies with access to guns (Very limited ammo) and flashlights, psychos could move the evidence and could obviously fight back but with melee weapons, as well as the ability to blend into shadows.

Best map was the old rear end farmhouse from the first game. Cops started outside and could come in through the basement looky window, front door and I think a back door, psychos started on the second floor and there was a creaky attic as well that people liked to creep in.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 30, 2015

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Condemened was also a series where the story went absolutely nuts for.. reasons?

In 1 you start off just investigating hobo murders and then you get framed. Now you are the hobo who needs to investigate the crazy paranormal murders! then the ending involves you fighting insane Filipino stick martial art people

In 2, you are the ultimate hobo and you can shout people to death, also fight the angriest bear

Tbf it's more entertaining than FEAR and its obsession with the Japanese ghost from The Ring

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was 20 bucks when it came out and it's a 5-10 dollar game.

This was how I felt too after beating it.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Condemened was also a series where the story went absolutely nuts for.. reasons?

In 1 you start off just investigating hobo murders and then you get framed. Now you are the hobo who needs to investigate the crazy paranormal murders! then the ending involves you fighting insane Filipino stick martial art people

In 2, you are the ultimate hobo and you can shout people to death, also fight the angriest bear

Tbf it's more entertaining than FEAR and its obsession with the Japanese ghost from The Ring

I don't know where else condemned 3 could go after the poo poo in 2.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

GANDHITRON posted:

And if you like Japanese ghost stories where there seems to be no moral, watch "Kwaidan," it's a beautiful and eerie film.
Oh yeah, I'm pretty entertained by kwaidans; that's what 'Kuon' was all about and I think I was one of the twenty people that actually played that game and enjoyed it.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

I don't know where else condemned 3 could go after the poo poo in 2.

Hell I dunno maybe the dude decides to use his death yelling thing to go pro in the hobo fighting circuit it'll still be better than 98% of horror games.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Speaking of games with premises that start fairly normal and derail into complete insanity, supergreatfriend has finished the LP for all three of Kenji Eno's "Digital Actress Laura" games, being D, Enemy Zero and D2. All three games should be watched or played with zero spoilers especially D2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You don't need to use the same guy for condemned 3 just make a new storyline but play the same way.