Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Covok posted:

What is the gooncensus on OVA 2nd Edition? The game that is trying to be a better BESM? From reading it over, it looked good, but I haven't played it yet.
I haven't looked at it but I'm going to guess it falls into the same pit BESM did: Making an "Anime RPG" is like trying to make a "Movie RPG" or a "Book RPG", the category is enormously broad and includes a wide variety of mutually exclusive things.

EDIT: It may or may not fall into the "The developer had to be forced to play a combat as written to acknowledge that there was a problem with it" pit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

The Strange Fire Area is also pretty mundane by comparison.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The newer version of the pokemon tabletop is much less cumbersome but still needs a good trip behind the woodshed to actually be smooth to use. I guess it's a baby steps thing, it went from basically unplayable to playable with some work.

United or Adventures dude because there IS a split you know. Also it's always been playable unless you are stupid enough to make a 6x6 pokemon fight that will take hours haha

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I live at the end of a land bridge. That's apparently the only interesting thing about my country.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
United States of Lions checking in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Error 404 posted:

After we're done with the Gorilla Communes, the tigers are coming for you.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Error 404 posted:

I think this happened in a Parks and Rec episode.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

After we're done with the Gorilla Communes, the tigers are coming for you.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE LION KING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SIMBA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HYENA BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY HAVE A PROBLEM-FREE PHILOSOPHY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing. Then I Lift

Hakuna Matata motherfuckers.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Today is Jack Kirby's birthday, so I'm required by nerd law to post the most game-able map ever written.

One day I am going to run a game using this map. I don't know what it will be, but I feel like it should be RIFTS for maximum kitchen-sink-ness.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Yawgmoth posted:

One day I am going to run a game using this map. I don't know what it will be, but I feel like it should be RIFTS for maximum kitchen-sink-ness.
Gurps. All of gurps.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Jack Kirby is the best superhero comic artist and writer of all time.

At least one mainstream artist got all their fame from replicating his work.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

United or Adventures dude because there IS a split you know. Also it's always been playable unless you are stupid enough to make a 6x6 pokemon fight that will take hours haha

Which is the good one

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Gamma World 4e.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Gamma World 4e.

Perfect system for that map!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Which is the good one

I only played United recently so I'm gonna go with that one

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

And of course now I'm looking up if you can get a complete set of the GW 4e cards. Or at least the text so I can make printer-friendly versions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I only played United recently so I'm gonna go with that one

Every download link I find for that sends me to the same mediafire page with a broken zip

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The great thing about that Kirby map was that he probably drew it in an afternoon, freehand, and filled in all the details on the fly. I run hot and cold on his artwork but the guy was just an amazing wellspring of creativity that never ran out. That map is for a setting he created in his fourth decade of professional work. He just kept turning out page after page after page of amazing things from his imagination and never stopped. It's even more impressive when you consider that he led an incredibly boring life - chained to his drawing board, turning out three or more books worth of material every month, not doing anything exciting or adventurous or mind-expanding (unlike Steranko, who grew up in a family of bootleggers and made a living as a stage magician, professional escape artist, and burglar, and also played guitar with Bill Haley and the Comets, before turning to comics). Kirby just basically sat there at his board, all day every day, cranking out work to provide for his family, and instead of killing his brain dead it led to work like that map. Just an incredible talent.

Basically, all hail King Kirby.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

And of course now I'm looking up if you can get a complete set of the GW 4e cards. Or at least the text so I can make printer-friendly versions.

https://rpggeek.com/article/7210111#7210111

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

No, I mean the ones that came in the booster packs. It's surprisingly hard to find a spoiler list for them.

e: Oops, never mind; should have just scrolled down. There's a list with everything except one of the three promo cards.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 28, 2015

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Every download link I find for that sends me to the same mediafire page with a broken zip

Have you tried at their irc channel on rizon? I can PM you mine as well but it has been a couple months since I stopped GMing it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

United, no clue what Adventures is doing for their version, I legit thought they weren't being updated and it was just a 'legacy' thing.

And yea 'unplayable' is too harsh, especially for a thing made by a bunch of fans.

Countblanc posted:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/lbbtmqi7e75k7td/PTU+1.05.zip

Does this work? This is what they have as their 'official' link and all.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Effectronica posted:

At least one mainstream artist got all their fame from replicating his work.
I wouldn't say Stan Lee "replicated" it as much as he "stole" it by "using" it without giving Kirby any "money."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FactsAreUseless posted:

I wouldn't say Stan Lee "replicated" it as much as he "stole" it by "using" it without giving Kirby any "money."

That's one way to put it, sure, I suppose.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

I was talking about Rob Liefeld :rolleyes:.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like how a lot of stuff has really extravagant names and then there's Snow Wizards. Just Snow Wizards.

Take "Snow Wizards" as code for Wizards of Cocaine and roll with it :black101:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Snowflame, the best villain.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yawgmoth posted:

Snowflame, the best villain.

You can't say that and not post the panels.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Someone needs to option this map and then go on a week-long cocaine binge and write the sourcebook. Publish it unaltered, sort of like HoL for the twenty-first century.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
That's odd, because going by past experiences, nothing gets published when someone spends all their kickstarter money on cocaine.

Dec 26, 2012

You might get a totally sweet robot vampire out of it at least.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

01011001 posted:

You might get a totally sweet robot vampire out of it at least.

Probably not, though.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Today is Jack Kirby's birthday, so I'm required by nerd law to post the most game-able map ever written.

I'm the Gorilla Germaneks nowhere near Germany.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The Wolf Napoleoneks drove them out.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

You can't say that and not post the panels.

With his very own fancomic now: http://www.snowflamecomic.com/?comic=snowflame-01-01

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

To everyone who recommended Fell's Five when it was up on Humble Bundle:

Thanks. This really is the best.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey guys - I'm moving to Minnesota soon and am wondering what the tabletop scene is there. I'm used to the Chicago suburbs where it seems like there's a local (ish) meta for just about everything. Is there a cool store around the twin cities area? I know of Games by James but that seems to be only board games with no playing space at either location.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Hey guys - I'm moving to Minnesota soon and am wondering what the tabletop scene is there. I'm used to the Chicago suburbs where it seems like there's a local (ish) meta for just about everything. Is there a cool store around the twin cities area? I know of Games by James but that seems to be only board games with no playing space at either location.

Do you like FFG games? If the answer is yes, welcome to Mecca.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Carteret posted:

Do you like FFG games? If the answer is yes, welcome to Mecca.

I should move to Minnesota I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Ryoshi posted:

Where in the twin cities? There's a game store in about every other neighborhood in Minneapolis, depending how competitive you want your FNM to be and how far you are willing to travel.

• Locked thread