Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Sodium Chloride posted:

Yeah!Burger in London were doing a burger with a scotch egg replacing the buns.

Can't decide if it's brilliant or disgusting.

That's a big scotch egg, I must use less sausage or something.

Totally would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

CannonFodder posted:

That's a big scotch egg, I must use less sausage or something.

Totally would.

I was gonna say, how big is that fuckin' egg?

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Looks like there's a lot of meat around the egg as you can see on this random tweet:
https://twitter.com/Secret_LDN/status/634454208746549248

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Norns posted:

Truffle Mushroom Swiss I had at Smash Burger today. Would do again.

Have a smashburger about 6 miles from home.

Dig the burgers, good balance of all the components. Not too much bun, not a giant pick of meat, it works well together.

Still trying to come around to the matchstick fries they sell. Maybe it's the upper Midwest in me, but they need thicker fries.

That being said, Rosemary/olive oil smash fries aren't all that shabby

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I loving love the rosemary/olive oil fries. I get them every time I go there.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I would kill to have more of those regular legitimate burger places in Stuttgart. There are those few high brow gourmet burger joints and then there's McDonald's and Burger King, nothing in between. It would be amazing to be able to get something like this:
instead of having to choose between a "sacrebleu unborn bull patty lovingly crafted between the toes of virgins" and "unidentified frozen-for-a-week piece of meat that may have fallen on the floor before we fried it with the rest of the million patty pile". I guess though that it's a given in a country where burgers aren't part of the traditional culinary culture.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

how ironic that hamburgers aren't part of german culture

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Haha:

quote:

Louis Lassen of Louis' Lunch, a small lunch wagon in New Haven, Connecticut, is said to have sold the first hamburger and steak sandwich in the U.S. in 1900. New York magazine states that "The dish actually had no name until some rowdy sailors from Hamburg named the meat on a bun after themselves years later"

quote:

Nagreen was fifteen when he was reportedly selling pork sandwiches at the 1885 Seymour Fair, made so customers could eat while walking. The Historical Society explains that Nagreen named the hamburger after the Hamburg steak with which local German immigrants were familiar.

quote:

According to White Castle, Otto Kuase was the inventor of the hamburger. In 1891 he created a beef patty cooked in butter and topped with a fried egg. German sailors would later omit the fried egg.

quote:

Frank and Charles Menches claim to have sold a ground beef sandwich at the Erie County Fair in 1885 in Hamburg, New York.

That's a lot of allegedly original creators of the burg that all ended up giving it the same name for totally different reasons. There was just no way not to name it a hamburger.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dear Burger Thread:

Why have I read in some magazines that one should crumble pieces of bread or burger buns and mix it into the meat before grilling? I did that once and it was ok, but it mostly just looked weird.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

life is killing me posted:

Dear Burger Thread:

Why have I read in some magazines that one should crumble pieces of bread or burger buns and mix it into the meat before grilling? I did that once and it was ok, but it mostly just looked weird.

If you do this, the terrorists win.

Binder is only needed if the meat is made from ground horse penis

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jamsta posted:

If you do this, the terrorists win.

Binder is only needed if the meat is made from ground horse penis

The articles I read didn't mention anything about that helping to bind together lower-quality meat, just that it was a good idea for some unspecified reason. It didn't make the burger taste any different/better, though.

My wife and I were making meatballs the other night, and I mentioned offhand how, with everything mixed into the meat, it would make great burgers and we should say gently caress the meatballs tonight, but she didn't go for it. Mint leaves, parmesan, some other stuff that I figure might make a decent burger, and my wife wanted meatballs.

e: I'd call it the LIKM Meatball Italian Burger and would have provolone as the cheese, and could be skillet-grilled with olive oil

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dear Burger Thread:

Because those people suck a burging and want you to make a meat loaf on a bun instead.

Do not be led astray by them, for theirs is the way to ruin and scorn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dear Burger Thread:

Because you are reading bad magazines and people enjoy meatloaf sandwiches.

There's not anything ~wrong~ with a meatloaf sandwich, it's just a fundamentally different thing from a good burg.

Or you're eating ground horsecocks with a side of ratpoop.

The real thing is that it's just a matter of different textures and styles. A good burger relies on the very loosely packed/minimally handled ground beef as part of it's appeal- It makes eating the thing not feel like a heavy/dense lump, because, well, it isn't. Not compared to a typical meatball or meatloaf anyhow. If you like the flavors that go in to meatballs, just cook down a combo of something like minced onions/garlic/oregano/parmesan/etc and use it as a topping. The Italian-american meatball flavor does indeed own.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 24, 2015

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So is a meatball burger a good idea? It sounds pretty awesome to me minus the mint (which did nothing for the meatballs, imo).

I grill out a lot but I'm not good at estimating the doneness of a burger and I don't trust the accuracy of thermometers applied to a burger patty while it's still sitting on the grill. I tend to make the outside too done and the inside is still mushy and too pink, and I, as well as my wife, like medium doneness. Do I just put the grill on the lowest setting and let it cook away for like 20 minutes on both sides? I'm just fundamentally bad at grilling anything that isn't fish or chicken, which is bad because I thought chicken was supposed to be difficult to grill correctly.

But my wife and I have been ordering meals from blueapron.com and I have since discovered, because of this, the simple, yet glorious goodness of good ol' salt and pepper as a basic seasoning and don't believe it can be overstated. I kind of feel like I've been over-seasoning things, especially burgers.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Should only need a bit of egg to use as a binder in your burg mix if it's too coarse and won't form as is. Bread crumbs just dry it out and you lose all the flava-flav. I must stress that you only need a smidgeon of egg, otherwise it goes a bit pasty.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Buy a grinder and don't worry about mixing anything other than fat into your beef if necessary.

Cheaper in the long run too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

If I'm adulterating the patties, it's just some minced onion, a bit of salt and an egg.

Speaking of which, if you have a pain in the rear end family member that demands well-done, all grey beef, I've found the secret to keeping them moist: tons of onion. It adds enough moisture that you can over-cook it without drying it out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dear Burger Thread:

use lamb mince for your meatballs its far superior for that.

is it any good for burgers? i might have to find a butcher that will freshly grind some lamb for me to try it

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Jose posted:

use lamb mince for your meatballs its far superior for that.

is it any good for burgers? i might have to find a butcher that will freshly grind some lamb for me to try it

I might try that.

At one point we made burgers with ground Italian sausage mixed in, which didn't work like we wanted--it ended up tasting more like Italian sausage than anything else, and more than we wanted. I don't think we'll be trying that again, but it worked out pretty well for when we made sliders for a tailgate once.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

So is a meatball burger a good idea? It sounds pretty awesome to me minus the mint (which did nothing for the meatballs, imo).

I grill out a lot but I'm not good at estimating the doneness of a burger and I don't trust the accuracy of thermometers applied to a burger patty while it's still sitting on the grill. I tend to make the outside too done and the inside is still mushy and too pink, and I, as well as my wife, like medium doneness. Do I just put the grill on the lowest setting and let it cook away for like 20 minutes on both sides? I'm just fundamentally bad at grilling anything that isn't fish or chicken, which is bad because I thought chicken was supposed to be difficult to grill correctly.

But my wife and I have been ordering meals from blueapron.com and I have since discovered, because of this, the simple, yet glorious goodness of good ol' salt and pepper as a basic seasoning and don't believe it can be overstated. I kind of feel like I've been over-seasoning things, especially burgers.

I mean, meatball sandwiches with a big ole pile of red sauce are totally fantastic. (And now I really want one but the restaurant with the best ones is 20 minutes away :qq: )

Anyhow, on burg cooking: Get a thermapen or therma-pop and trust the poo poo out of it. It will never steer you wrong and your meats will always come out exactly the way you want them. For big pub burgers on the grill, if it's gas, then yea I would cook over medium-high heat, and the key is actually flipping them a lot. Like, every 30 seconds even if you want to put in the effort. You'll get a nice crusty browned outside by the time it comes up to temp on the inside, and it cooks more evenly so you don't char one side. Basically just keep flippin, and poke the top of the burg with your thermometer and pop them off the grill when it hits 130-135 for medium-rare to medium. This will probably take in the 15-20 minute range for a big 6oz burger.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I mean, meatball sandwiches with a big ole pile of red sauce are totally fantastic. (And now I really want one but the restaurant with the best ones is 20 minutes away :qq: )

Anyhow, on burg cooking: Get a thermapen or therma-pop and trust the poo poo out of it. It will never steer you wrong and your meats will always come out exactly the way you want them. For big pub burgers on the grill, if it's gas, then yea I would cook over medium-high heat, and the key is actually flipping them a lot. Like, every 30 seconds even if you want to put in the effort. You'll get a nice crusty browned outside by the time it comes up to temp on the inside, and it cooks more evenly so you don't char one side. Basically just keep flippin, and poke the top of the burg with your thermometer and pop them off the grill when it hits 130-135 for medium-rare to medium. This will probably take in the 15-20 minute range for a big 6oz burger.

But shouldn't I still wait until the patties don't stick before flipping?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I usually cast iron skillet my burgs so I can start flipping pretty quickly without sticking issues, but yea on a grill you probably need to wait a few minutes until the first side has firmed up a bit.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I usually cast iron skillet my burgs so I can start flipping pretty quickly without sticking issues, but yea on a grill you probably need to wait a few minutes until the first side has firmed up a bit.

I was going to ask if it was viable to cast-iron skillet them, because we cook a lot in my house and most meals involve cooking just about everything in a skillet. It's easy with oil and stuff, but cooking with oil in a stainless steel pan leaves gunk that can't be cleaned out easily.

e: and frankly, I'm not always feeling like walking in and out all night to grill. That, and we live on a lake, and with lake living comes spiders. Lots and lots of spiders. And with those come spider webs all over your grill every time you cook on it. I've considered burning the house down, and cooking in the embers

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would 100% go to cast iron first for all my burg needs. Smashed burgers, thick pub burgers, anywhere in between it's the perfect cooking medium.

I grabbed a stainless skillet because it was closer or something one time and holy fuuuuuck was it hard to clean up later. Even heavy application of Barkeeper's friend was barely enough to get the job done.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I would 100% go to cast iron first for all my burg needs. Smashed burgers, thick pub burgers, anywhere in between it's the perfect cooking medium.

I grabbed a stainless skillet because it was closer or something one time and holy fuuuuuck was it hard to clean up later. Even heavy application of Barkeeper's friend was barely enough to get the job done.

I turned to The Internet for my stainless steel cleaning needs, and maybe I did it wrong, but one entry said to boil vinegar and water in the pan that needs to be cleaned, then when it's at a boil, add baking soda and scour the pan. Might work for you. But it's a bitch to clean either way when you're cooking with oil

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

IMO cooking burgers to done-ness is misguided, they're done when they're seared nicely. If you have a nice steak, there are really compelling reasons to cook it medium-rare. It allows you to get all the benefits of a nice sear, while maintaining the physical characteristics of the meat. However, a burger is not a steak.

Burgers are a poor man's food, the beauty of the burger lies in this humbleness. The entire reason you grind the beef is because you should be making it out of tough cuts from hard working muscles like chuck, and scraps. Burgers exist to take undesirable cuts of meat and to transform them into something so good you crave it. A rare burger misses the point, a burger patty should have more in common with sausage than steak tartare. The other point of burgers is they're supposed to be quick, which is why you're turning that chuck roast into burgs instead of putting it in the smoker or a pot. Burgers should be relatively thin so they cook quickly, and that quick cooking means they should never spend enough time on a grill to dry out, even if the burger has lost all pink inside getting that sear. This combination of cheap, fast, and delicious is why they're the quintessential fast food and an American icon.

Feel free to enjoy your burgers however you want though. :)

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Aug 25, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A double burg of two smashed 3 ounce patties is a beautiful thing, and cooks in all of 3 ish minutes to boot!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

IMO cooking burgers to done-ness is misguided, they're done when they're seared nicely. If you have a nice steak, there are really compelling reasons to cook it medium-rare. It allows you to get all the benefits of a nice sear, while maintaining the physical characteristics of the meat. However, a burger is not a steak.

Burgers are a poor man's food, the beauty of the burger lies in this humbleness. The entire reason you grind the beef is because you should be making it out of tough cuts from hard working muscles like chuck, and scraps. Burgers exist to take undesirable cuts of meat and to transform them into something so good you crave it. A rare burger misses the point, a burger patty should have more in common with sausage than steak tartare. The other point of burgers is they're supposed to be quick, which is why you're turning that chuck roast into burgs instead of putting it in the smoker or a pot. Burgers should be relatively thin so they cook quickly, and that quick cooking means they should never spend enough time on a grill to dry out, even if the burger has lost all pink inside getting that sear. This combination of cheap, fast, and delicious is why they're the quintessential fast food and an American icon.

Feel free to enjoy your burgers however you want though. :)

Even though I have nothing wrong with pink/red burgs every now and then, I agree completely with your post.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I remember going to this place called Jekyll Island down in Georgia. Boring place for the rich people, not a lot to do. Had minigolf, but that's beside the point. The Jekyll Island Club Hotel had one of the greatest burgers I've ever eaten. Pretty expensive, but drat if it wasn't worth it.

Second best burgers is a two way tie between Steak n' Shake and Five Guys.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

BillmasterCozb posted:

I remember going to this place called Jekyll Island down in Georgia. Boring place for the rich people, not a lot to do. Had minigolf, but that's beside the point. The Jekyll Island Club Hotel had one of the greatest burgers I've ever eaten. Pretty expensive, but drat if it wasn't worth it.

Second best burgers is a two way tie between Steak n' Shake and Five Guys.

Jekyll Island does suck compared to Tybee--what with all the boulders you've got to climb over to get to the beach

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

It's UK national burger day:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/11825004/Why-posh-burgers-are-still-the-last-word-in-fast-food.html

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

You sure it isn't national meatloaf day? Looks more like it to me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I want a burg.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I want to up-end that cup of fries right in to my mouth forever

(The burg looks good too!)

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Cross postin from the 'cue thread...

Anyone fancy some of my birthday cake?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
thats legit

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Burged

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the scale of that photo is all wrong

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made what has become, for me, the ideal burger.

Toasted potato roll top
Spicy secret sauce
Homemade apple wood smoked bacon
Garden tomato
iceberg lettuce (boooo)
Stilton blue cheese (Melted/toasted with a Searzall)
ground chuck smashburg
caramelized onions
toasted potato roll bottom

• Locked thread