Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

MrBling posted:

ddrjake is streaming a fairly massive subscriber multiplayer game right now, they just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake

not even a year into the game and more than half the players are at war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

the idea of the 'victory card' system is very cool - asymmetric, hidden, random victory conditions are a great way to make multiplayer more dynamic.

...but who cares about score? there had to be some other way to link this in to the game's systems...

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

TTBF posted:

Go to console, enter debug_info, hover over a province belong to each of those countries.

Thanks!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

PleasingFungus posted:

the idea of the 'victory card' system is very cool - asymmetric, hidden, random victory conditions are a great way to make multiplayer more dynamic.

...but who cares about score? there had to be some other way to link this in to the game's systems...

A lot of people have suggested that they be tied into some kind of larger scale mission system and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm sure I remember from the early EU4 dev diaries that there were going to be 2 types of missions - major missions which might take you decades to complete, and minor missions such as conquering a single province or improving relations. I always felt like it was a missed opportunity that this was never implemented.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

RabidWeasel posted:

A lot of people have suggested that they be tied into some kind of larger scale mission system and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm sure I remember from the early EU4 dev diaries that there were going to be 2 types of missions - major missions which might take you decades to complete, and minor missions such as conquering a single province or improving relations. I always felt like it was a missed opportunity that this was never implemented.

some nations have missions more like that - there's a mission to unite the jurchen tribes, for example. agreed that they're not very common.

also, apparently there was some chat about victory cards in the other thread already. oops.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

PleasingFungus posted:

Seems like a natural thing to grant power projection and /or prestige.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Remember with using a lot of galleys that once they are out of inland seas then they become quite weak compared to a good heavy fleet. Basically, never take a small heavy fleet into inland seas, and don't really take galley fleets out of it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Fintilgin posted:

Seems like a natural thing to grant power projection and /or prestige.

It'd be nice if they gave a bit of long-term power projection. Something like +25 for the really major missions that would only decline at like -.5/year or something similar. I've brought it up before but there really needs to be a way to get power projection once you're actually a big nation. It's kind of silly that if you get big enough your power projection permanently tanks because you can never have more than like 1 or 2 rivals who you keep eclipsing.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

So, what descriptions are good to take? There are so many now that I changed to Protestant. Everyone is some kind of mix of Missionary power, national tax and stability cost. Is there a way to take enough of them to go positive in something without going negative in other things?

Also, if I change to Hanover I keep my national ideas right?

Gotland has absorbed the Hansa and expanded west to East frisia. Got all of Denmark except Bornholm and Själland. Kinda nice progress for me in under 80 years, starting from an Island OPM.

Also, the world looks kinda the same as always, except that France is a 2 province minor, probably because England still has 6 of Frances costal provinces, Burgundy is a big blob though.

Joining the HRE as Gotland was really nice, was able to do it by taking Blekinge and Nassau becomming emperor as a OPM, thus being cheap to bribe. I have had no problems with Sweden, even though Gotland is a eternal Swedish core. The only thing Sweden has actually done to me was to enforce peace the first time I tried to take The Hansa, which was a blessing because I was just going to do a costly peace-out when I realized I couldn't win against their allies.

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 29, 2015

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

What causes Western Arms Trade? I keep getting, then losing it as Muscovy.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

What causes Western Arms Trade? I keep getting, then losing it as Muscovy.

It is under Triggered Modifiers on the bottom right.
I think it's three things:
Relations over 150(1) with an allied (2) neighboring(3) Western country.

My guess is you're getting it when you're in a war (+25) with your ally Sweden?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

sloshmonger posted:

That's probably exactly it. Sweden hosed me in the last war by denying me one of my claims, so once I wrap up this horde mess I'm marching west.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

sloshmonger posted:

That, and the AI will collectively give you a -25 Competing Great Power modifier that constantly switches on and off.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How do I raise Patriarch Authority?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Elendil004 posted:

How do I raise Patriarch Authority?

Events happen randomly throughout the course of the game. You get the option to either raise PA or get a bonus (like admin points or something) while decreasing PA.

Honestly PA isn't that great since it nukes your tax income. The only reason to raise it is to get it to 100% once for In the Name of the Father if you're on Ironman.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

VDay posted:

It'd be nice if they gave a bit of long-term power projection. Something like +25 for the really major missions that would only decline at like -.5/year or something similar. I've brought it up before but there really needs to be a way to get power projection once you're actually a big nation. It's kind of silly that if you get big enough your power projection permanently tanks because you can never have more than like 1 or 2 rivals who you keep eclipsing.

I think power projection is a mechanic they could do more with in general. Or give you more ways to get.

Major missions is an interesting idea. Take a Major Trade Mission, and you have to get X% power in several different nodes and you get Power Projection and some other bonuses.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Honestly PA isn't that great since it nukes your tax income. The only reason to raise it is to get it to 100% once for In the Name of the Father if you're on Ironman.

-33% tax modifier isn't nearly as big a deal as +2% missionary strength, +33% manpower, and -3 unrest. You almost always want as much PA as you can get your hands on.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
PA is good because money is easy to get and missionary strength, manpower and unrest reduction are good

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Also taxes as Russia are only your main source of income for the first few decades of the game. By the time you're raising PA enough that it's taking 25%+ of your taxes, your production and trade should be up and running and the hit to tax income shouldn't matter. Unrest, missionary strength, and a ton of manpower are absolutely worth a third of your smallest source of income.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Dracula's Revenge done. The most important thing, in my infinite genius, was taking Diplomacy first. Being able to barely scrape by enough opinion to get royal marriages and alliances to be able to be protected from the Ottomans, chip away at Hungary when France (their ally) was war weary, and keeping my dynasty elected in the Sejm was so important. Finished it in 1740. The income in that region is absolutely abysmal. I don't think I was making even 100 ducats a month by that time. I could only afford two big stacks. Thankfully France was more than happy to use their godly morale to turn the Commonwealth's troops into paste so I could snag those last two Romanian provinces I needed.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Events happen randomly throughout the course of the game. You get the option to either raise PA or get a bonus (like admin points or something) while decreasing PA.

Or A Decent Reserve if you're trying that as Muscovy. But yeah, getting free stability and inflation reduction is nice.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Does anyone have pointers on how to really capitalize on trade income? I understand how pulling trade forward and collecting works, but I feel like I should be getting more income in my Netherlands game than I am. I'm scraping by with a few ducats a month in peace time, but it's 1580 so maybe it only really picks up once my colonies are full and well off the ground?

Here's the state of the world right now. I've got about 50-60% power in the English Channel node, and like 20% in the North Sea, Champagne nodes, and like 10% in the other nodes leading from my colonies to home (because they aren't that large yet really). Transferring to the English channel as much as I can.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm sure someone asked that already but what does this mean:

achievements.txt posted:

has_switched_nation = no
Only that you aren't allowed to play as a released nation or also that you aren't allowed to form another nation like the HRE for example?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

genericnick posted:

Only that you aren't allowed to play as a released nation or also that you aren't allowed to form another nation like the HRE for example?

It means that you have be that nation from the start of the game. If you take a decision that changes you to a different country then you will be locked out from achievements with that particular requirement.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

genericnick posted:

It means you aren't allowed to play as a released nation, but you can still form another nation as long as the part inside "happened { }" doesn't have any parts that require your original tag.

Edit:

MrBling posted:

It means that you have be that nation from the start of the game. If you take a decision that changes you to a different country then you will be locked out from achievements with that particular requirement.
This is wrong. Check the achievement for "Industrial Evolution" for example:

"possible = {
NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
normal_or_historical_nations = yes
normal_province_values = yes
ironman = yes
start_date = 1444.11.11

}

happened = {
has_switched_nation = no
tag = GBR
[..]}"

Requires the earliest start date, the Great Britain tag and has_switched_nation = no. Since GBR doesn't exist at that date it would make the achievement impossible if you couldn't form another nation.

Chickpea Roar fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 30, 2015

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

genericnick posted:

It means you didn't switch to released vassal or colonial nation, changing tags by forming nations is allowed.
Switching tag will disqualify you from achievements checking the tag specifically in "happened" part instead of using ROOT. Many achievements have both checks for tag and switching nation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So it looks like westernizing and moving your capital to Europe doesn't work to get the Trade Hegemon achievement :(

Did that with Ethiopia after getting Prester John like I talked about earlier and waited a year and a half just to be safe and it still hasn't popped. RIP Ethiopia game, back to the Netherlands game to spend a hundred years drilling into Africa/India.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

VDay posted:

So it looks like westernizing and moving your capital to Europe doesn't work to get the Trade Hegemon achievement :(

Did that with Ethiopia after getting Prester John like I talked about earlier and waited a year and a half just to be safe and it still hasn't popped. RIP Ethiopia game, back to the Netherlands game to spend a hundred years drilling into Africa/India.

Yeah, you need to be western and European at the start of the game to get that, since they're inside the "possible" brackets.

code:
achievement_trade_hegemon = {
	id = 53

possible = {
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		capital_scope = {
			continent = europe
		}
		technology_group = western
	}

happened = {
		owns_core_province = 388 # Aden
		owns_core_province = 2999 # Hormoz
		owns_core_province = 596 # Malacca
	}
}

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Chickpea Roar posted:

Yeah, you need to be western and European at the start of the game to get that, since they're inside the "possible" brackets.

Where were you a couple of pages ago when we were first discussing this? :argh:

Good to know though, and luckily the Ethiopian Hegemon run didn't take too much more effort past Prester John and was pretty fun. Being a gigantic Coptic African power with a shitload of trade income and a Deus Vult CB against all your neighbors was pretty great.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MrBling posted:

ddrjake is streaming a fairly massive subscriber multiplayer game right now, they just started.

https://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake

He's starting again in 15 minutes, right now he's going through a recap of the last session. The clusterfuck is magical. :allears:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Chickpea Roar posted:

It means you aren't allowed to play as a released nation, but you can still form another nation as long as the part inside "happened { }" doesn't have any parts that require your original tag.

Edit:

This is wrong. Check the achievement for "Industrial Evolution" for example:

"possible = {
ironman = yes
start_date = 1444.11.11

}

happened = {
has_switched_nation = no
tag = GBR
[..]}"

Requires the earliest start date, the Great Britain tag and has_switched_nation = no. Since GBR doesn't exist at that date it would make the achievement impossible if you couldn't form another nation.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

I completed Industrial Revolution a week ago too, so it definitely isn't broken.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Jesus, I just had France and Austria form a Personal Union.

In October 1445.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
A fitting end to Jake's multiplayer game.

edit: lol

MrBling fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 30, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What the hell happened there? Did he hand all of that to AI Georgia in a 100% reverse peace deal?

anti_strunt posted:

Jesus, I just had France and Austria form a Personal Union.

In October 1445.

This is as good an excuse as any to bring up a complaint I have with the game: Personal Unions really need some work. As Denmark, I actually had a lot of fun trying to keep a handle on Sweden, but the AI absolutely cannot handle it. Sweden winds up declaring war on Day 2 all the time, and then Denmark has to contend with typically Lithuania and England committing their entire army to Scandinavia. And when Sweden eventually wins, all the lost 10k vs. 1k battles means Denmark has negative prestige, and loses it's union over Norway too. The same issue shows up with Burgundy, where losing one war means all the lowland unions break, while by 1444 the administration of those territories had already been reasonably centralized.

In my same Denmark game, Spain got a PU over France; France and Spain were each their full grown selves, but France just spent the entire time as a loyal subject, which is kind of ridiculous. There's no way major powers should be content to live under a PU like that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 30, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PittTheElder posted:

In my same Denmark game, Spain got a PU over France; France and Spain were each their full grown selves, but France just spent the entire time as a loyal subject, which is kind of ridiculous. There's no way major powers should be content to live under a PU like that.

How can you be completely certain that the proletariat of France weren't completely satisfied with the arrangement? It would be nice if you could zoom into cities on a street level and see the common people wandering around. They could have thought bubbles letting you know their desires.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

What the hell happened there? Did he hand all of that to AI Georgia in a 100% reverse peace deal?

This is as good an excuse as any to bring up a complaint I have with the game: Personal Unions really need some work. As Denmark, I actually had a lot of fun trying to keep a handle on Sweden, but the AI absolutely cannot handle it. Sweden winds up declaring war on Day 2 all the time, and then Denmark has to contend with typically Lithuania and England committing their entire army to Scandinavia. And when Sweden eventually wins, all the lost 10k vs. 1k battles means Denmark has negative prestige, and loses it's union over Norway too. The same issue shows up with Burgundy, where losing one war means all the lowland unions break, while by 1444 the administration of those territories had already been reasonably centralized.

The only occasion where Denmark seems to do well is when it allies Poland day 1, and Poland gets the PU with Lithuania to prevent them from helping Sweden. If this happens, Denmark probably forms Scandinavia, because none of the other countries that typically like to help Sweden (England, Scotland, Pomerania, The Hansa) are strong enough to tip the balance.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

PittTheElder posted:

Georgia was another human player. At first he had taken "only" almost all of Jake's giant Crimea, then when they realised that the Perm player up north had a larger name on the map than Georgia they decided that Georgia should also have that land. Georgia was named the objectively best country in the game as well.

The Georgia player actually crashed, because apparently the game couldn't handle such massive amounts of overextension and rebels.

Jake also ended up with 93% inflation because other players sent him several thousand ducats during his war with Georgia.

Timurids is AI controlled, and not entirely sure how to deal with 600k+ rebels in its lands.

The aim of the campaign was to play smaller nations (I think it was less than 75 development, or could have been 50) and to stop the reformation from happening. The way they did it was to remove all catholic countries from europe though conquest and conversion to orthodoxy. So once they had reached that goal they kinda went crazy.

The whole thing should be archived on twitch and it will also be uploaded to youtube eventually.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Do you know at what minute in the stream the last catholic country was gone and it became a free for all?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

MrBling posted:

The aim of the campaign was to play smaller nations (I think it was less than 75 development, or could have been 50) and to stop the reformation from happening. The way they did it was to remove all catholic countries from europe though conquest and conversion to orthodoxy. So once they had reached that goal they kinda went crazy.

That's incredible :allears:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Back To 99 posted:

Do you know at what minute in the stream the last catholic country was gone and it became a free for all?

Just around the 3hr mark of http://www.twitch.tv/ddrjake/v/13574303 is where Jake decides to declare war on Georgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PittTheElder posted:

They should just scrap the "negative prestige = break union" mechanic. If you still wanted prestige to matter, very low levels could have increasing relations penalties, and make the junior partner more rebellious. Especially if the junior partner itself is a major power.

PittTheElder posted:

Realistically, the very existence of such a personal union would probably justify a coalition, even without a single aggressive move by Spain.

• Locked thread