Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoodZ
Nov 20, 2002

Icept is my bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Lol it's not even going to feature the Emperor as more than a "great light" coming from the throne as we live vicariously through a Custodian walking around inside the webway.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Can't wait to pay £500 for this limited edition novel.

Oh wait gently caress GW.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Did anyone expect different really? Doesn't GW have a rule that we will never get perspectives or anything first person from the Emperor?

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Welp thats pretty pointless i was thinking i was going to buy it.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
Yeah, ADB has said more than once "lol you think I'm so stupid that I'd write from the Emperor's perspective?"

I've been looking forward to MoM since its announcement, especially after hearing that, even though it's being written by the only BL author I'd trust to do so.

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 30, 2015

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Releasing a book from the Emperor's perspective would be too dumb even for GW. Just think about what that means.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The only time when it would be appropriate to do something from the Emperor's perspective is maybe from the beginning of his existence up to the Age of Strife as a maximum cutoff point. It'd be a good way to show the whole Skynet thing with the Men of Iron. It'd still be dumb, but not quite as dumb as Heresy-era or beyond Emperor perspective.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The only time when it would be appropriate to do something from the Emperor's perspective is maybe from the beginning of his existence up to the Age of Strife as a maximum cutoff point. It'd be a good way to show the whole Skynet thing with the Men of Iron. It'd still be dumb, but not quite as dumb as Heresy-era or beyond Emperor perspective.

I don't know the emperor as a concept seem like a character that cannot fail in any way. Being the supreme Ubermench that he is, no issue can arise that he cant solve unless he would actively not participate. On the other hand i guess you could try to characterize him outside of being a machiavellian super genius. Like what was life like before for him when he was still a child, his interactions with the rest of mankind, internal moral conflicts about what he need to do for the good his parent race, the different personalities he would to change into over course of history etc...

Still my skepticism is stronger over having a book from the emperor's perspective. Just seems like its a setup for really bad writing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I don't really care about it being from the Emperor's perspective, but I do hope it hashes out his reasoning on the many seemingly stupid or inexplicable actions authors have pointed out (many by ADB)

If nothing else though this is ADB's Blood Angels book, so we get that

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The new ADB book they're charging £40 for. Turns out it's a 176 page novella.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Deptfordx posted:

The new ADB book they're charging £40 for. Turns out it's a 176 page novella.
It sucks because I'd read the gently caress out of that if it was a $5 paperback. For that same price I can get a Forgeworld book.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Been a little while since I bothered lookig but even the ebooks forgot they were ebooks when you check the price tag.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I apologize if it's been mentioned in the thread, didn't really feel like digging through 12k posts: I've been on a DoW binge lately, looking for something to accompany it - are there any good WH40K books focusing on the Orkz?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Deff Skwadron is basically it IIRC.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's not a whole lot of stuff from the Ork pov, but Helsreach has some good SMvOrk action. That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Fear the Alien had a good short story partially told from the perspective of a team of Ork Kommandos. I think it was "Iron Inferno."

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
The main antagonists in Baneblade are Orks, and it's a pretty decent book.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SavTargaryen posted:

Oh, I meant more like if it's a radical, THEY might be under xenos weapon fire that no one else knows how to treat or what have you. It was also late and I wasn't clear, my bad!

Or the Inquisition has some who's been hit by some weird xenos weapon, and they know only Doc Eldar can save the patient. The Monsignor is probably not happy that the Inquisition know about his staff alien and things surely become complicated.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Maybe the narrator is enjoying shore leave when some Acolytes take an interest in him because he's rumoured to be tainted by xenos heresy? Then Doc Eldar turns up and is all "your boss owes me a favour"?

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Demon Of The Fall posted:

There's not a whole lot of stuff from the Ork pov, but Helsreach has some good SMvOrk action. That's the only one I can think of at the moment.

The Dawn of War novelisations had Ork point of views, written by that expert on alien cultures C.S.Goto :negative: also the Last Chancers (the third story I believe) had Orks using a hive city as a puppet regime, and they briefly argued and talked to the humans before trying to kill each other.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 7, 2015

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
I've been thinking of writing a series about a Tzeentch chaos champion that is not a sorcerer but a true-blue revolutionary, balancing several disparate warbands for the purpose of freeing as many systems from Imperial rule as possible and then just seeing what happens. It was going to be the basis of a Black Crusade campaign, but now that i moved a country away from my group it's likely not going to happen.

Also, has anyone read Heart of the Conqueror? Is it good?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Doing something from The Emperor's perspective isn't total dog balls if you take the time to strip back the Godhood a bit. I think it would be interesting to show a progression of how he started off as a near mortal man who had to grow into his powers over millennium, and how this might actually explain why he waited until 30K to take a more active roll. There is a difference between being a God and being granted the potential to achieve God-like feats, it makes it more interesting since it creates a situation where the character must grow and overcome to reach his full potential. Early stories would present plenty of potential for sympathy as The Emperor is forced to suffer the deaths of friends and loved ones over and over again, even children who don't share his immortality, and you could even cast the creation of the Primarchs as a subconscious effort to have a real family, but doomed to fail because of the great mission he has taken upon himself makes this truly impossible, people that can in some way fathom the world as he does. This makes the Sigilite even more important since he is one of the few humans who can even begin to understand what it is like to have such responsibility on one's shoulders.

I don't know if it is the more irreligious nature of the SomethingAwful crowd to automatically assume a story from a near-perfect being is doomed to be boring, but it really just shows a lack of imagination on the part some, IMO. I've seen plenty of stories about Superman that were plenty interesting, the same line of thought goes from here. They are only bad in the hands of bad authors, not because they have great powers, but because they are portrayed as robots, not human.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
SavTargaryen, mllaneza, and Arquinsiel: Thank you for the suggestions, I like the ideas and they're giving me inspiration. The Doc Eldar stories are evolving away from just medical anecdotes, I think, although I still want to include some of them in each piece; I really want to delve into the setting and try writing about some of the aspects that aren't bolters and lasguns.

I'm thinking this is going to be a story spanning three parts; in the first, the narrator gets locked up while off the ship because of making an overly truthful confession, and is subsequently sprung from jail by Doc Eldar. This piece will focus mostly on the relationship of a regular citizen with the Ecclesiarchy. The second will follow immediately after the first, chronologically, and feature the Inquisition arriving in force and searching the ship for a particular xeno. It'll be a slapstick piece in which Doc Eldar enacts some of the classic maneuvers of horror movie villains, but performing surgery instead of murder. And the third will involve working with the Inquisition to keep the Monsignor in their good graces, and I'm going to see what kind of strange situation I can come up with, getting into the baroque weirdness that is technology in the 40K universe.

Sephyr posted:

I've been thinking of writing a series about a Tzeentch chaos champion that is not a sorcerer but a true-blue revolutionary, balancing several disparate warbands for the purpose of freeing as many systems from Imperial rule as possible and then just seeing what happens. It was going to be the basis of a Black Crusade campaign, but now that i moved a country away from my group it's likely not going to happen.

This could be interesting to read if you develop the various characters the protagonist is trying to strike a balance between. To be properly Tzeenchian, though, the outcomes on the protagonist's plans should always be some shade of horrible - to be true to the setting, Chaos must always be malignant, always a force of destruction, and Tzeench in particular loves smashing the dreams of his followers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kylaer posted:

This could be interesting to read if you develop the various characters the protagonist is trying to strike a balance between. To be properly Tzeenchian, though, the outcomes on the protagonist's plans should always be some shade of horrible - to be true to the setting, Chaos must always be malignant, always a force of destruction, and Tzeench in particular loves smashing the dreams of his followers.
So... you think he should be a Free Market Libertarian? :v:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kylaer posted:

I'm thinking this is going to be a story spanning three parts; in the first, the narrator gets locked up while off the ship because of making an overly truthful confession, and is subsequently sprung from jail by Doc Eldar. This piece will focus mostly on the relationship of a regular citizen with the Ecclesiarchy. The second will follow immediately after the first, chronologically, and feature the Inquisition arriving in force and searching the ship for a particular xeno. It'll be a slapstick piece in which Doc Eldar enacts some of the classic maneuvers of horror movie villains, but performing surgery instead of murder. And the third will involve working with the Inquisition to keep the Monsignor in their good graces, and I'm going to see what kind of strange situation I can come up with, getting into the baroque weirdness that is technology in the 40K universe.

That sounds weird. Do it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kylaer posted:

SavTargaryen, mllaneza, and Arquinsiel: Thank you for the suggestions, I like the ideas and they're giving me inspiration. The Doc Eldar stories are evolving away from just medical anecdotes, I think, although I still want to include some of them in each piece; I really want to delve into the setting and try writing about some of the aspects that aren't bolters and lasguns.

I like it.

[/quote]

I'm reminded of Thanquol. Very much convinced of his own superiority and rightness of cause, while also very much the cause of his own downfall. Tzeentch probably got barrels of laffs out of old, dumb Thanquol.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Sephyr posted:

Also, has anyone read Heart of the Conqueror? Is it good?

Obamazaus thought he was doing the right thing when disbanded the old Imperial Government, and introduced healthcare reform, but thanks to the fickle nature of his patron Tzeentch the planet was awash in death panels within a Terran year.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Kylaer posted:

Well if history is any guide, most revolutions do not end well.

40k is Space Fantasy, and fantasy itself is basically historical fiction without the history. So I'd pick a few turn of the century revolutionary shitshows as a model. Take your pick, there's tons - Khmer Rouge, Salvadorean Civil War, etc. Bonus points if the CIA (Inquisition) shows up to make things worse.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I want to talk a bit about the future of Gaunt's Ghosts and do some speculation about Dan Abnett's plans for the characters. Don't read any of this if you haven't read Salvations Reach!

Dan Abnett introduced Meritous Felix Chass in Salvations Reach and the end of the series is probably coming to a close very soon since the current arc is called "The Victory" and the Ghosts are going to fight with/near the Warmaster in the next book. I have a feeling that the Gaunt is going to do a heroic sacrifice and there will possibly be a subplot comparing Felix and Brin Milo as Gaunt's sons. My theory is that Felix is being set up as a successor, probably not as leader of the Ghosts but as Gaunt's heir and the main protagonist of future books in the series, much like how Ravenor came from Eisenhorn.

Felix came to the Ghosts as a coddled boy with nothing but a wish to join his fathers regiment. I think it's likely that he ran away and wasn't actually sent by his mother at all, which could lead to a plot point where he's called back and Gaunt further bonds with him and refuses the order to return him by inducting him as a soldier in the Guard. Felix grew up in his fathers shadow, not knowing if the stories were true but everything was confirmed when he saw him fight in Salvations Reach. I think that was a pivotal moment for his character and cements his respect for his father.

I don't know where the story will take Felix if he's indeed a new independent protagonist but I think it's likely it will focus on intrique and politics rather than fighting and war.

What do you guys think?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Demiurge4 posted:

What do you guys think?

Sounds dumb as hell tbh.

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
If Macroth dies, perhaps Chass will end up as the next Warmaster with Gaunt getting stiffed again.

It has been ages, but my recollection was that Macroth and Gaunt were both young/inexperienced but for whatever reason it was a choice between them to be the next Warmaster, but when Slaydo died Gaunt didn't get it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Col.Schultz posted:

If Macroth dies, perhaps Chass will end up as the next Warmaster with Gaunt getting stiffed again.

It has been ages, but my recollection was that Macroth and Gaunt were both young/inexperienced but for whatever reason it was a choice between them to be the next Warmaster, but when Slaydo died Gaunt didn't get it.

Slaydo had prophetic dreams and knew he was going to die on Balhaut. Maybe he chose Macaroth so Gaunt could safeguard the Saint.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kylaer posted:

Great idea! Make this one novel length, pls :kiddo:

GannerOne
Feb 25, 2014
So I never read anything in the Gaunt series, and I see they got a collection of the first couple of books. Considering picking them up for my kindle.

Is it worth it? Heard something about the first books being kind of a bummer, but I got no clue about it.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Get them all, including the anthologies. The most recent one has a couple Ghost stories with plot points that'll reach into The Warmaster.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

GannerOne posted:

So I never read anything in the Gaunt series, and I see they got a collection of the first couple of books. Considering picking them up for my kindle.

Is it worth it? Heard something about the first books being kind of a bummer, but I got no clue about it.

The first two books(First and Only and Ghostmaker) are good, but not great and they are clearly pieced together from short stories.

The third book, Necropolis, is the most :black101: book ever written about the Imperial Guard and if you don't like it you should just stop there.

All three are in the Founding omnibus.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really like Ghostmaker, even the weird Eldar stuff. It was interesting to see how the characters had changed from when Gaunt first met them to the fight on Monthax. And some of the individual shorts were loving great, especially Larkin and Dorden's stories.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really like Ghostmaker, even the weird Eldar stuff. It was interesting to see how the characters had changed from when Gaunt first met them to the fight on Monthax. And some of the individual shorts were loving great, especially Larkin and Dorden's stories.

Bragg's story was my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Khizan posted:

Bragg's story was my favorite.

Kek you, you giant oaf! I always found that insult funny. Apart from Feth, I don't know if any 40K swear words are that good, though you can always throw a gently caress in somewhere because its english.