Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Kid Icarus will give you permanent hand damage so you have to weigh if that's worth it

Maybe if you're a dumb yeah in which case you probably had it coming anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I have all the Kid Icarus amiibos, ready for that beautiful day when the next Kid Icarus game finally happens

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
This is not what Iwata would want...

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
We will never have another Nintendo Direct, so the will of the mighty N is unknowable

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

People who think it's still relevant because they like Fox and Falco in Smash. It's kinda the opposite of the people who keep asking for Shantae to be added to Smash.

What does this even mean? How does relevancy come into this?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Seriously though Star Fox looks pretty cool and I have no idea why people are so hung up on this particular game when they've been begging for a game exactly like this for years now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I played Star Fox Zero at E3 and it was perfectly fine. You didn't have to use the gamepad view and it controlled almost exactly like Star Fox 64.

Augus posted:

Seriously though Star Fox looks pretty cool and I have no idea why people are so hung up on this particular game when they've been begging for a game exactly like this for years now.

Because people weren't actually interested in Star Fox, they were interested in complaining that Nintendo wasn't using an IP.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Gonna get dat Star Fox Zero (and Falco amibo) and play it a bunch because I love Star Fox.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Raserys posted:

were it not for Sakurai's current bloodpact to work on smash until he dies, instead of a new Starfox, there should have been a new kid icarus

What if Sakurai made the new Star Fox? Then at the end you unlocked Pit who operated like an Arwing while General Pepper and Palutena fought over the mic?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just want Sakurai to work on anything that isn't Smash Bros or Smash Bros DLC.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Motto posted:

I just want Sakurai to work on anything that isn't Smash Bros or Smash Bros DLC.

Meteos for the 3DS?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Motto posted:

As much as I want this to happen too, he'll need to raise up a successor to the series or something so he won't have to deal with Nintendo hassling him about a new Smash game every console generation.

In fact just port Smash Wii U to NX, give it all the 3DS content and some new stuff on top of it and call it a day. I'd be okay with that.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

As much as I want this to happen too, he'll need to raise up a successor to the series or something so he won't have to deal with Nintendo hassling him about a new Smash game every console generation.

In fact just port Smash Wii U to NX, give it all the 3DS content and some new stuff on top of it and call it a day. I'd be okay with that.

Honestly they should try to keep the current game going by adding DLC to it as long as they can

if that means giving it all a visual upgrade and moving it up to the next console then they should do it. with or without sakurai onboard

People want the roster in these games to just get bigger and bigger, and if they make a new one they'll have to make cuts. if they just keep building on this one and release a Gold Edition or something a few years from now with the to-date DLC included they might be better off in terms of production costs vs profit. and fanbase happiness

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

jivjov posted:

A flaw or two does not a bad game make.

Nothing is perfect.

It's been way more than two flaws per game

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The Wii U launch was a disaster and kept a lot of people away for a long, long time.

But the idea that Nintendo could instantly launch a new console and have a "successful" launch is laughable.

There's absolutely no technical reason not to continue building up the Wii U library. The PS4 and Xbone are radically underpowered, the Wii U can more than match them for at least a few more years.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

There's absolutely no technical reason not to continue building up the Wii U library. The PS4 and Xbone are radically underpowered, the Wii U can more than match them for at least a few more years.

Actually the PS4 and Xbox are not radically underpowered in terms of consoles, What dimension are you living in?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The biggest incentive for launching a new console would be to have something that's flying off shelves, as well as making a fortune from the cut Nintendo gets from third party games sold on it.

With the Wii U, Nintendo has to make software that attracts people to the system because the hardware completely failed to do so. Plus they have to develop or publish nearly every one of its exclusives since no-one else is making games for it. I guess the silver lining is that Nintendo can't be as complacent as it was with the Wii and the DS, and it's really showed with the quality of a lot of their games.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Narcissus1916 posted:

But the idea that Nintendo could instantly launch a new console and have a "successful" launch is laughable.

What do you think the Wii was?

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 30, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

If they give it the Street Fighter treatment and just keep updating it for like 5 years then yeah, I'd be down with that. It feels very much like this could be the last Smash since there's just so much drat stuff in it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Rudoku posted:

What do you think the Wii was?

The Wii was a huge fad hit. What are the chances of Nintendo replicating that success? Not very, I reckon.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Wii was a huge fad hit. What are the chances of Nintendo replicating that success? Not very, I reckon.

What? Are you saying Nintendo has never had a hit, successful console outside of the Wii? Are you 12 or do you just have a console warrior type memory that only reaches back to the most resent monthly sales charts?

Yes, the Wii U was a miss step for Nintendo, but the Virtual Boy was a much bigger flop, and that didn't hurt future hand held launches.

The only thing preventing Nintendo from having future consol success as of right now is bias in your mind.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

jivjov posted:

A flaw or two does not a bad game make.

Nothing is perfect.

Yoshi's Island is a perfect game :colbert:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Wii U's biggest problem is the rather weak processor meaning even last-gen ports weren't going to run as well, and marketing. I still remember the E3 where the Wii U was unveiled and I thought it was a tablet add-on for the Wii, not a new console.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

Narcissus1916 posted:

The Wii, DS and Game Boy Advance are the among the best selling consoles of all time matched chiefly by the first two Playstations. Not counting the success of the NES/SNES/Game Boy (Color). The Gamecube didn't do too well but it did only slightly worse than the original X-Box by like 2 million units. So if the Wii is a fad hit then literally most of Nintendo's output in the video game industry is composed of "fad hits".

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

All Frogs posted:

The Wii, DS and Game Boy Advance are the among the best selling consoles of all time matched chiefly by the first two Playstations. Not counting the success of the NES/SNES/Game Boy (Color). The Gamecube didn't do too well but it did only slightly worse than the original X-Box by like 2 million units. So if the Wii is a fad hit then literally most of Nintendo's output in the video game industry is composed of "fad hits".

I had fun with all this Nintendos. Only system I regret is the Gameboy Advance SP because the clamshell blows (I was young and dumb, I just wanted something that seemed like a pokedex). Normal flavor Advance was comfy to play.

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

mamelon posted:

I had fun with all this Nintendos. Only system I regret is the Gameboy Advance SP because the clamshell blows (I was young and dumb, I just wanted something that seemed like a pokedex). Normal flavor Advance was comfy to play.

I've liked every Nintendo console I've played too, even the Virtual Boy (though the only game I played on it was the Wario Land game). Also I agree about the OG GBA, though I personally prefer the Micro. Helps that I have babby hands.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I just noticed a new thing in the shop. Something called Watchup. It's a video news service, pulling headline clips from various news outlets, filtered by subject (news, world, sports, tech, gaming, local, etc) so you can build a news stream that plays continuously with what looks like 15-30 second commercials between each 3 minute chunk. Then it links you to a bunch of articles on the gamepad for further reading. I guess it's something from Stanford.

So far it's just been pulling video from CBS and CNN (edit: Naw, there's a crapload of sources in here), and has had some streaming issues and permissions problems for videos from different countries, but they boast a pretty good list of sources.

Looks like it's on Xbox360 and ios as well. It would appear they pull their gaming content from Gamespot.

Fix fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 30, 2015

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

ImpAtom posted:

Because people weren't actually interested in Star Fox, they were interested in complaining that Nintendo wasn't using an IP.

Do people in Sony-related threads complain about Sony not using their gigantic archive of forgotten IPs?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mercury Crusader posted:

Do people in Sony-related threads complain about Sony not using their gigantic archive of forgotten IPs?

Sony's good IP:

(An exhaustive list)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm sure plenty of people are annoyed we don't get new Crash Bandicoots

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Mercury Crusader posted:

After they got Sony Smash Bros they learned to never do that again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I'm sure plenty of people are annoyed we don't get new Crash Bandicoots

If you want to get mega-anal that was never their IP. Doubt it'd cost much to acquire at this point if they wanted to though, but ND has grown into a much different developer since their days working on cartoony platformers.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 30, 2015

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

All Frogs posted:

I've liked every Nintendo console I've played too, even the Virtual Boy (though the only game I played on it was the Wario Land game). Also I agree about the OG GBA, though I personally prefer the Micro. Helps that I have babby hands.

I think the Micro is maybe the most attractive and most svelt device Nintendo has made so far, though I've never seen one in person. Does the small screen cause a lot of eye strain?

GB pocket is also a runner up for looks. The Wiimote's minimalism really grew on me after a while. So my aesthetic likes are pretty clear... that being said, N64 controller still rocks my socks.

e: errbody post your favorite Nintendo form design. poo poo I feel like the 64 controller is so wacky that it just screams "you are about to have a kickass time playing videogames, enjoy."

mamelon fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 30, 2015

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

mamelon posted:

I think the Micro is maybe the most attractive and most svelt device Nintendo has made so far, though I've never seen one in person. Does the small screen cause a lot of eye strain?

GB pocket is also a runner up for looks. The Wiimote's minimalism really grew on me after a while. So my aesthetic likes are pretty clear... that being said, N64 controller still rocks my socks.

The screen is small but very clear, plus you can adjust the brightness. Going by my own experience, I've never noticed any eye strain.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The Gameboy Advance SP was great for its time despite its questionable ergonomics because it had a backlight on it. It might not seem like a big deal now, but before the SP came out you either played with a light or not at all. And some games were so dark that you could barely see them regardless of the lighting conditions. The SP was revolutionary.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

The Gameboy Advance SP was great for its time despite its questionable ergonomics because it had a backlight on it. It might not seem like a big deal now, but before the SP came out you either played with a light or not at all. And some games were so dark that you could barely see them regardless of the lighting conditions. The SP was revolutionary.

The problem was that some GBA games compensated for the lack of a backlight by making everything so vibrant, so when you play it on an SP it actually ends up hurting your eyes. Meaning Nintendo should probably have just included a backlight in the first place to avoid this problem.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

IIRC it was also much easier to fit in a pocket than your standard GBA.
The standard ones were nice if you could get one of those "afterburner" backlight mods, though.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Narcissus1916 posted:

And they didn't try to. I don't understand this whole "Following the Wii" thing, nobody ever said Nintendo would make something as revolutionary as that again, besides perhaps game journalism. Which is apparently a thing. Nintendo moved on, they made a console that had a touch screen in the controller.

Which was huge, before tablet computers were "invented."

It was an unfortunate culmination of different markets which were never meant to compete competing against one another. Nintendo lost out on a market that went to iPads and other similar bullshittery, in the previous generation motion controls hadn't taken hold yet.

It's one generation to the next.

The next Nintendo is apparently, if I was to trust games journalists, going to be one which allows you to switch seamlessly from home console to portable with the same game cartridge. Whatever. It doesn't matter. If a company is able to be successful, more often than not it's due to luck. All the cards fell in the right places at the right time. Nintendo is at least innovating and trying to come up with new concepts. Despite the Wii U's flop on launch, they have produced many of the best Nintendo games that have ever been released.

The fact that so many people picked it up and enjoyed them or not is beside the point. Tons of people are looking at game console companies with regard to commercial success, it's loving stupid. I mean that's not even one step away from idolising success, idolising success is all that it is.

Enjoy your motherfucking Nintendo games or gtfo.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Back in the days of the 16-Bit Console Wars, before the internet got big, when we had to subscribe to magazines such as Fortune and the Wall Street Journal to keep up with console sales,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Replaying Mario Galaxy after many years and holy hell. If anyone asks what one game captures quintessential Nintendo, this might be it. Every aspect of the game, from movement to soundtrack, seems to have been designed with the principle of "how can this be joyful?" and also "what if the box art to Mario 64 was a game?"

So. charming.

• Locked thread