Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have four gun stories for you guys from my personal life. The facts are true but the names are left out to protect the idiots and tragic victims involved.

1) I had a friend in high school who two years after we graduated came home one day and walked into his brothers room just as his brother was pulling the trigger on a rifle he had in his mouth.

2) I had a friend in college who got drunk one night, lost his keys, walked home and, when he couldn't get his roommate to wake up, or at least he thought he couldn't, climbed through a window and was shot in the back by his roommate, who thought he was shooting a burglar. The guy barely lived, his spine was hosed up, he used a wheelchair for over a year, then walked with two crutches for several years, then with the aid of a single cane for several more years and now is able to walk unaided with a noticeable limp.

3) I worked with a lady who was out one night with her boyfriend. They came home to his house just in time to meet a burglar coming out of her boyfriend's front door. The burglar shot her boyfriend in the chest with the boyfriend's gun that he had stolen from the nightstand next to her boyfriend's bed. Her boyfriend lived.

4) My brother was dating a lady who had a younger brother in college in West Texas. One night her brother and some friends decided to do what drunk college kids in West Texas are prone to do, go spotlight and kill varmints in the fields of West Texas. They had a pickup, a driver, a spotlight guy in the passenger seat and two of them standing in the back with a .22 pistol trying to shoot anything smaller than a cow that moved. The truck hit a bump, the gun went off and the brother died with a bullet in his heart.

That's all I got. I don't know any good stories about guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If you don't have a M61 Vulcan in your home loaded and ready to fire at any moment you're practically begging for men to break in and rape your family to death.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Most likely by riding their black helicopters into your volcano lair and lashing the Vulcan to their command vehicle, laughing maniacally as they fly away with your betrothed and your six adopted Somalian children

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

See, that's a legitimate and respectable reason. Much better than "your arm is grabbed, gotta shoot first and ask questions never!"

The bottom line is why not have one less thing to deal with when you are trying to evaluate a situation. It is not a perpetual state of paranoia that something might happen. It is akin to buckling my seatbelt. I mean why not? Ounce of prevention and all that.

When one does carry a deadly weapon, it's probably best not to do it half assed.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Okay here's a gun control compromise that respects the second amendment. Take all guns currently on the NFA off and replace them with pistols. Adjust the $200 tax from 1934 for inflation. Being that pistols are of questionable military value for militia service, this is A-OK.

So basically a poll tax. Why so racist?
Also I would be giving up a lot in order to legally concealed carry and I would be gaining... what? I don't think compromise is a word you understand. Nor do I think it would have an ounce of impact on those who are already using handguns in an illegal fashion.

Not A-OK.

For the record, the only thing I would want that is currently restricted is a suppressor so I can save my hearing while at the range and hunting.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 30, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fog Tripper posted:

The bottom line is why not have one less thing to deal with when you are trying to evaluate a situation. It is not a perpetual state of paranoia that something might happen. It is akin to buckling my seatbelt. I mean why not? Ounce of prevention and all that.

When one does carry a deadly weapon, it's probably best not to do it half assed.

Because buckling your seatbelt doesn't prime your car to fire harpoons at the slightest provocation. The reason why not is that you aren't just taking out one less step to defending yourself, you're also taking away one more failsafe from an extremely deadly weapon. Admittedly less so on a 1911 because that has, like, seven other safety measures to prevent such a thing (I'm exaggerating can gun spergs, I know it's not that many), but you're still drastically increasing your odds of an accidental discharge in order to be better prepared for for the insanely rare off-chance that extra quarter-second is the difference between life and death. If anything keeping the round chambered is taking your responsibility as a safe and reasonable gun owner half-assed.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

Because buckling your seatbelt doesn't prime your car to fire harpoons at the slightest provocation. The reason why not is that you aren't just taking out one less step to defending yourself, you're also taking away one more failsafe from an extremely deadly weapon. Admittedly less so on a 1911 because that has, like, seven other safety measures to prevent such a thing (I'm exaggerating can gun spergs, I know it's not that many), but you're still drastically increasing your odds of an accidental discharge in order to be better prepared for for the insanely rare off-chance that extra quarter-second is the difference between life and death. If anything keeping the round chambered is taking your responsibility as a safe and reasonable gun owner half-assed.

Well hey, why not take it a step further and have the rounds in a case in your pocket and the mag/pistol unloaded until needed?

If we are talking scenario dreaming, not all altercations would be the bad guy facing the concealed carry individual. Why draw attention to yourself while you are vulnerable and not presently the target?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 30, 2015

lfield
May 10, 2008
Concealed carry dudes who think in terms of good guys and bad guys are worrying.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fog Tripper posted:

Well hey, why not take it a step further and have the rounds in a case in your pocket and the mag/pistol unloaded until needed?

If we are talking scenario dreaming, not all altercations would be the bad guy facing the concealed carry individual. Why draw attention to yourself while you are vulnerable and not presently the target?

What exactly do you think drawing a weapon does besides make you the target?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

radical meme posted:

I have four gun stories for you guys from my personal life. The facts are true but the names are left out to protect the idiots and tragic victims involved.

1) I had a friend in high school who two years after we graduated came home one day and walked into his brothers room just as his brother was pulling the trigger on a rifle he had in his mouth.

2) I had a friend in college who got drunk one night, lost his keys, walked home and, when he couldn't get his roommate to wake up, or at least he thought he couldn't, climbed through a window and was shot in the back by his roommate, who thought he was shooting a burglar. The guy barely lived, his spine was hosed up, he used a wheelchair for over a year, then walked with two crutches for several years, then with the aid of a single cane for several more years and now is able to walk unaided with a noticeable limp.

3) I worked with a lady who was out one night with her boyfriend. They came home to his house just in time to meet a burglar coming out of her boyfriend's front door. The burglar shot her boyfriend in the chest with the boyfriend's gun that he had stolen from the nightstand next to her boyfriend's bed. Her boyfriend lived.

4) My brother was dating a lady who had a younger brother in college in West Texas. One night her brother and some friends decided to do what drunk college kids in West Texas are prone to do, go spotlight and kill varmints in the fields of West Texas. They had a pickup, a driver, a spotlight guy in the passenger seat and two of them standing in the back with a .22 pistol trying to shoot anything smaller than a cow that moved. The truck hit a bump, the gun went off and the brother died with a bullet in his heart.

I once shot one of those camping propane tanks with a tracer round. That is my good gun story.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
On the one hand, death and serious injury mostly of innocent people. On the other hand, a dude cooing like an imbecile when his toy made something blow up. A short primer on the gun control debate.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Tezzor posted:

On the one hand, death and serious injury mostly of innocent people. On the other hand, a dude cooing like an imbecile when his toy made something blow up. A short primer on the gun control debate.

You just hate fun dont you?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Guns are cool.

I shot a full auto M4 a month ago and it was real good.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

various cheeses posted:

Guns are cool.

I shot a full auto M4 a month ago and it was real good.

I am envious. I have yet to have the chance to fire anything full auto.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It's really not that exciting, but it's worth doing once.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

radical meme posted:

The truck hit a bump, the gun went off and the brother died with a bullet in his heart.
Don't you hate it when guns just "go off" for no reason? It's awful.

This is the gun control version of when a cop's gun fires a couple dozen shots into an unarmed black tween but nobody is responsible.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

That is about what I figured, One day.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
hammers rule. drove a loving nail into a board and smashed tf out of some butternut squashes

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Who What Now posted:

It's really not that exciting, but it's worth doing once.

Yeah it was way harder to control than I thought. Like if you don't brace for it, you'll end up on your rear end. Pretty lol though.

lfield
May 10, 2008

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think you missed the important part of that sentence.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

radical meme posted:

I have just 1 gun story; one time my ancestors picked up guns and fought off the british and now I have freedoms.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Rodatose posted:

hammers rule. drove a loving nail into a board and smashed tf out of some butternut squashes
that is a terrible thing to do to a good squash and very wasteful

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Yeah it was way harder to control than I thought. Like if you don't brace for it, you'll end up on your rear end. Pretty lol though.

It also only lasts like a second or two. Firing 8000 rounds a minute sounds impressive until you remember you only have 30 rounds in your magazine.

raven4267
May 7, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This is the gun control version of when a cop's gun fires a couple dozen shots into an unarmed black tween but nobody is responsible.

Gotta watch out for those bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBBni_-tMNs

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DeusExMachinima posted:

Okay here's a gun control compromise that respects the second amendment. Take all guns currently on the NFA off and replace them with pistols. Adjust the $200 tax from 1934 for inflation. Being that pistols are of questionable military value for militia service, this is A-OK.

This is what a lot of European countries do. I know Russia does this, which lead to the strange phenomenon of "self-defense weapons" or "traumatic weapons", which are pistol-shaped objects that fire rubber bullets or gas capsules.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Tezzor posted:

It's probably more like 20,000 dudes cooing like imbeciles per 1 grieving family tho.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

Young Freud posted:

This is what a lot of European countries do. I know Russia does this, which lead to the strange phenomenon of "self-defense weapons" or "traumatic weapons", which are pistol-shaped objects that fire rubber bullets or gas capsules.

You've also got Australia, champion of the Gun Control side, where airsoft toys are illegal, painball markers require a gun license and must be stored in a safe, and self-defense stuff like pepper-spray is utterly banned.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Elman posted:

Are people actually asking for a full ban? That'd be dumb.

I know poo poo all about cars, but I can still confidently say there needs to be a way to make sure people driving actually know how to drive and are capable of doing so safely. I'm sure without those controls a lot of people would still learn how to drive properly and be responsible about it, but it's best for society as a whole if we make sure that's really the case.

I also know poo poo all about weapons, but I do know the way things are now in the US criminals and crazy people can very easily get their hands on one, so you guys should try to do something about that. This doesn't mean banning guns, not even their use for self-defense, but it does mean some kind of control. You might even call it gun control.

Well why aren't you out campaigning about the 30,000+ fatal car accidents per year then? Because obviously the licensing, insurance, etc, we have on vehicle ownership is insufficient.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

how much would this cost, hypothetically

the cowpusher was no go cause apparently my state hates joy but I bet I could do this

A roll cage is a liability to your health unless you are wearing a helmet and have a 5-point harness as well. A helmet might not be a bad idea or marginally decreasing your chance of injury while driving though. You'd have to weigh it against the decreased peripheral vision and the increase risk of accident.

Probably just driving a car made in the last 5 years is your best bet.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Dead Reckoning posted:

I wouldn't be holding up our prohibition on mind-altering drugs as an example of successful social policy that we should be emulating.

As a former addict I KNOW that some drugs absolutely need to be controlled and no amount of speculative, masturbatory liberal/libertarian ideas on the matter are going to change my mind. It sort of looks good on paper but in reality it would be a disaster. Opiates and highly addictive stimulants must remain controlled because they are killers and ruiners of lives and the benefits of legalization are far far outweighed by the negative impacts.

They're a lot like guns in that way. Unfettered access would be (or is, in the case of guns) a disaster because they are absolutely deadly. Even early in my addiction I knew this, and I wouldn't wish legalized heroin on the people of any country, it would be an absolute disaster of epic proportions.

Which is why the way you can by guns as easily as buying candy in America is so drat chilling.

I couldn't believe when the Sheriffs from that county in Texas were blaming Black Lives Matter for that police killing. In one breath he complains about "all out war" against the police forces (lol) and in the next dismisses police violence as "a few bad apples." The hypocrisy was stunning. And the craziest part was when he made absolutely no mention of guns policy, gun laws, gun availability, guns and mental health (apparently the shooter was likely to have moderate to severe "learning disabilities", not totally clear what that means but its definitely disturbing and even more so when you realize that a man who is developmentally disabled could easily buy a gun!), etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

sudo rm -rf posted:

"george zimmerman, a literal murderer?"

um...

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Well why aren't you out campaigning about the 30,000+ fatal car accidents per year then? Because obviously the licensing, insurance, etc, we have on vehicle ownership is insufficient.

Cause I don't live in America and arguing about a different country's laws is boring but mocking batshit insane nonsense is highly entertaining. I also enjoy US healthcare, workers' rights and Republicans in general (it's like they're political satire but they're for real, gotta love em).

Hope this clears things up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I really don't think he was implying the shooter was blameless at all, or that the gun just magically shot itself. Obviously he pulled the trigger. It's just a way of saying that it wasn't purposeful, it was an accidental shot by a drunken idiot driving around in a truck. The fact that you glom onto this small and to be honest completely insignificant detail from the entirety of that post involving one person's experience with guns is pretty telling.

Defending guns despite the scenario, not actually caring one loving iota about the people harmed by guns, sperging about technical details, and throwing out red herrings like some sort of demented fishmonger. All behaviors I've seen a million times and plenty in this very thread.

That's why its so tiring to argue against people like you. You're obsessed with your guns and your ideas about guns and for some reason, perhaps because on some level you actually know there is something wrong here, you feel the need to justify guns and your love of them. Personally, if I liked guns that much I'd just acknowledge that I'm a bad person in that one way who puts his own petty desires ahead of empathy with the suffering of others. Something I do in plenty of other areas anyways.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Pro tip: guns are rad as hell. Hth

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

It also only lasts like a second or two. Firing 8000 rounds a minute sounds impressive until you remember you only have 30 rounds in your magazine.

It's why if you are lusting for the Full-Auto Experience, belt fed, or bust.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Elman posted:

Cause I don't live in America and arguing about a different country's laws is boring but mocking batshit insane nonsense is highly entertaining. I also enjoy US healthcare, workers' rights and Republicans in general (it's like they're political satire but they're for real, gotta love em).

So you are a misanthrope. Good job I look forward to hearing your opinions on nothing.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Play posted:

As a former addict I KNOW that some drugs absolutely need to be controlled and no amount of speculative, masturbatory liberal/libertarian ideas on the matter are going to change my mind. It sort of looks good on paper but in reality it would be a disaster. Opiates and highly addictive stimulants must remain controlled because they are killers and ruiners of lives and the benefits of legalization are far far outweighed by the negative impacts.
Hey man, if you can't handle your juice that's your problem. There's plenty of us responsible smackheads out there who... *nods off* ...and that's why I voted for Ron Paul.

That said lol if you think access to drugs could get any easier. It's harder to by cigarettes than heroin in most of the country.

Elman posted:

Just remember that the only reason your nation exists is because the US allows it to exist. The only reason you aren't a slave working in Uncle Sam's uranium mines is because frankly we can't be bothered to oppress you directly. There's nothing you or anyone in your country could do to protect themselves from total annihilation if President Trump took a dislike to you.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2015

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Powercrazy posted:

I want to try a pistol caliber full auto, but the only "work gun" available was 5.56. I would love to go full Rambo with a M60 too.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Powercrazy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHgZh4GV9G0

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Play posted:

I really don't think he was implying the shooter was blameless at all, or that the gun just magically shot itself. Obviously he pulled the trigger. It's just a way of saying that it wasn't purposeful, it was an accidental shot by a drunken idiot driving around in a truck. The fact that you glom onto this small and to be honest completely insignificant detail from the entirety of that post involving one person's experience with guns is pretty telling.

Defending guns despite the scenario, not actually caring one loving iota about the people harmed by guns, sperging about technical details, and throwing out red herrings like some sort of demented fishmonger. All behaviors I've seen a million times and plenty in this very thread.

That's why its so tiring to argue against people like you. You're obsessed with your guns and your ideas about guns and for some reason, perhaps because on some level you actually know there is something wrong here, you feel the need to justify guns and your love of them. Personally, if I liked guns that much I'd just acknowledge that I'm a bad person in that one way who puts his own petty desires ahead of empathy with the suffering of others. Something I do in plenty of other areas anyways.

One of my best friends shot himself in the head while arguing with his wife in the driveway of their house, supposedly to prove some point to her. A close friend of his had just died and he was in a a bad way. He had been doing well for himself as far as I can tell but you never know what is under the surface. I am sad he is gone, but guns are still rad.

Edit: he was an organ donor so he still lives on and has saved the lives of several others in his death.

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

lfield posted:

Concealed carry dudes who think in terms of good guys and bad guys are worrying.

Concealed carry dudes should totally stop and ponder what horrible events might have guided the poor unfortunate (and misunderstood!) youth that is currently raping a bystander... before judging whether he might be "good" or "bad". Actions simply do not tell the whole story you see!

Who What Now posted:

What exactly do you think drawing a weapon does besides make you the target?

It makes me the solution to the problem.

BOyah.

• Locked thread