Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
someone should do that "your only with a girl because you haven't had a good gently caress from a man" to some straight guy in the audience and see what the reaction is, i think it would be pretty funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

IceAgeComing posted:

someone should do that "your only with a girl because you haven't had a good gently caress from a man" to some straight guy in the audience and see what the reaction is, i think it would be pretty funny

I actually had that happen at a gay comedy show.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Kramer guy was only work shopping, and look where it got him. PC gone too for.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Really, if people only knew the feeling of soil in their nether regions, wouldn't we all be loving rhododendrons at this point?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

beatlegs posted:

Yeah, I don't like him personally, but people think he's funny apparently.

Plenty of people thought Carlos Mencia was funny too.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

I mean gently caress, he's sounding like some of the people we're mocking on here. Right down to the 'microaggressions' quip.

Any time I hear someone make fun of tumblr I have this mental image of a grown rear end man charging into the slumber party of a bunch of 13 year olds grappling with really hard questions about their selves and their futures and becoming an adult and screaming "DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE ALL STUPID"

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

QwertyAsher posted:

Any time I hear someone make fun of tumblr I have this mental image of a grown rear end man charging into the slumber party of a bunch of 13 year olds grappling with really hard questions about their selves and their futures and becoming an adult and screaming "DON'T YOU KNOW YOU'RE ALL STUPID"

The reddit brigade (which includes Imgur) is absolutely convinced that tumblr SJWism is very influential and is infecting many areas of society. And they will downvote the poo poo out of you if you disagree.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
I really wanna hear those pc gone mad people explain Louis CK. He's adored on the left especially young people in my experience and is one of the most outrageous and obscene comedians working today

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Spoiler: The reason is he makes great comedy

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

QwertyAsher posted:

Which one is which in this image, though?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

ToastyPotato posted:

The reddit brigade (which includes Imgur) is absolutely convinced that tumblr SJWism is very influential and is infecting many areas of society. And they will downvote the poo poo out of you if you disagree.

I've been wondering recently why reddit is so predominantly libertarian and conservative while tumblr is a lot more liberal. I don't think it's just coincidence, I feel like it has something to do with the design of the websites. Like Reddit aggregates the most popular posts, so it will naturally support status quo type things, but tumblr allows people to choose who they subscribe to, so it gives more voice to minorities. It's just a thought, but I'm intrigued by it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Xanderkish posted:

I've been wondering recently why reddit is so predominantly libertarian and conservative while tumblr is a lot more liberal. I don't think it's just coincidence, I feel like it has something to do with the design of the websites. Like Reddit aggregates the most popular posts, so it will naturally support status quo type things, but tumblr allows people to choose who they subscribe to, so it gives more voice to minorities. It's just a thought, but I'm intrigued by it.

It's just the userbase they captured from the get-go. Tumblr got a lot of imports from LiveJournal, which led to its particular brand of cringe. Reddit got the people from Digg, who were technolibertarian or brogressive at best. You get shifts as different people move in and out but those core communities never really changed.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

Reddit's sorting algorithm brutally punishes anything that takes longer than a few seconds to understand, and content gets treated much more "fairly" by tumblrs chronological listings. There's a whole bunch of reasons why reddit is the way it is, but that's one of them.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xanderkish posted:

Well there's also this:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
The design choices in online social spaces and how they affect the community culture have always interested me as a topic. I've noticed that comment boards which use nested threading in their replies, like Disqus uses for many newspaper websites I know, eventually devolve into confusing messes where individual users argue and trip over one another. I could never really get into Reddit for the same reason, as its only manageable to follow if the total number of participants is below a certain amount. Strict chronological threading better jives in making things manageable for sites with a large number of possible users, like here on SA. (Tumblr also has nested threads, but the interface disguises them somewhat.)

I would, however, be surprised if it turned out that nested or chronological threading favours either more right wing or left wing thought. I think it's more neutral in that particular way, but it would be more in line with what I've seen for nested threading to be more conducive towards the extremes of either case.

For some reason, it surprises me to see LinkedIn with only 40% women. I would've thought them to be a strict 50/50. Wonder why...

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

QwertyAsher posted:

Reddit's sorting algorithm brutally punishes anything that takes longer than a few seconds to understand, and content gets treated much more "fairly" by tumblrs chronological listings. There's a whole bunch of reasons why reddit is the way it is, but that's one of them.

TBH while I think you're right about Reddit's format punishing anything that requires depth of thought, I think the Internet in general is a powerful force in that direction as well. No social media site really rewards independent research about what you're reading (unless there's some sort of social media site out that that's literally nothing but peer-reviewed papers that I don't know about?), and Tumblr is no exception. I've seen more than enough poorly-researched "awareness campaigns" and completely factually incorrect pleas for action reach the stratosphere to know that. It's just more rewarding to hammer on the drug-releasing buttons of the human psyche, like EMOTIONAL OUTRAGE and TURNS OUT YOU WERE ALWAYS RIGHT AND THE OTHER PERSON WAS VERY WRONG FOREVER and LOOK A FUN FACT THAT YOU SHOULD NOT GOOGLE OR THINK ABOUT AT ALL.

All the same things right-wing media has learned how to do! My what smart monkeys humans are.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

swampland posted:

I really wanna hear those pc gone mad people explain Louis CK. He's adored on the left especially young people in my experience and is one of the most outrageous and obscene comedians working today

Louis CucK gets a pass because he makes pretentious artsy tv and is a liberal like them. If they only knew about his O&A appearances, they would put him up on the cross!

(things i've actually read about him)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Epic High Five posted:

Lol yeah Jerry people aren't paying you enough to play to college crowds because they're too PC

Instead they prefer the paragon of modesty, Daniel Tosh

There's a really good writeup on this topic here: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/thats-not-funny/399335/

In fact I think there definitely is a bit of a problem with political correctness in many universities. Now I support using inclusive language in all cases and making an effort to understand people. But I think that because these administrators and especially the students in the Student Activities Division are so scared of bringing in a comedian who offends some people who will then promptly blame them.

There is definitely a rational and productive way to deploy inclusivity concepts, language, and behaviors ("political correctness" sounds like a slur on such behavior, automatically negative) and a negative, divisive way to do it. It's also more than possible to take it too far. One of the biggest issues I think are people speaking for a group they are not actually a part of, and getting super offended on that group's behalf and in their name, and when they attempt to bully and silence critics. People with horrible ideas can and should be mocked, but not to the extent that it creates an environment where people are so scared they might offend someone that it affects open dialogue and people actually making progress regarding the way they speak and think about others.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Call Me Charlie posted:

Louis CucK gets a pass because he makes pretentious artsy tv and is a liberal like them. If they only knew about his O&A appearances, they would put him up on the cross!

(things i've actually read about him)

There are also rumors about him being a pervert who forces female subordinates to watch him jack-off. It's a rumor, but so was Bill Cosby raping women for a long time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Play posted:

There's a really good writeup on this topic here: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/09/thats-not-funny/399335/

In fact I think there definitely is a bit of a problem with political correctness in many universities. Now I support using inclusive language in all cases and making an effort to understand people. But I think that because these administrators and especially the students in the Student Activities Division are so scared of bringing in a comedian who offends some people who will then promptly blame them.

There is definitely a rational and productive way to deploy inclusivity concepts, language, and behaviors ("political correctness" sounds like a slur on such behavior, automatically negative) and a negative, divisive way to do it. It's also more than possible to take it too far. One of the biggest issues I think are people speaking for a group they are not actually a part of, and getting super offended on that group's behalf and in their name, and when they attempt to bully and silence critics. People with horrible ideas can and should be mocked, but not to the extent that it creates an environment where people are so scared they might offend someone that it affects open dialogue and people actually making progress regarding the way they speak and think about others.

Lol the lionshare of that article is complaining they can't be racist. The rest is a weird puff piece for a comedian the writer liked. It is trash.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jurgan posted:

There are also rumors about him being a pervert who forces female subordinates to watch him jack-off. It's a rumor, but so was Bill Cosby raping women for a long time.

Depends on your definition of forced. He invited Garfunkel and Oates an unnamed comedic musical duo back to his hotel room, asked them if he could jerk off, they jokingly said 'yeah' thinking he was kidding and he stood in front of the door and jerked off.

But it isn't exactly a secret that he's a retard in that manner. It's a theme that pops up over and over again in his work.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol the lionshare of that article is complaining they can't be racist. The rest is a weird puff piece for a comedian the writer liked. It is trash.

quote:

O, Utopia. Why must your sweet governance always turn so quickly from the Edenic to the Stalinist? The college revolutions of the 1960s—the ones that gave rise to the social-justice warriors of today’s campuses—were fueled by free speech. But once you’ve won a culture war, free speech is a nuisance, and “eliminating” language becomes a necessity.

This doesn't strike me as a reasoned or proportioned thinkpiece.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

swampland posted:

the lefties are hypocrites

remember these people don't actually understand that bigotry itself is what is opposed, it's not some kind of syntactic game where you can be as big a bigot as you want as long as you don't say a set of magic racist words

their fundamental argument is that they have a right to be a bigot, and other people should be required to tolerate them

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

Depends on your definition of forced. He invited Garfunkel and Oates an unnamed comedic musical duo back to his hotel room, asked them if he could jerk off, they jokingly said 'yeah' thinking he was kidding and he stood in front of the door and jerked off.

But it isn't exactly a secret that he's a retard in that manner. It's a theme that pops up over and over again in his work.

Well...blocking the door while he jerked off is kind of forcing them to stay, or at the very least making it quite difficult & awkward for them to leave.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

QwertyAsher posted:

How exactly do the claims of "reddit is a libertarian shithole" and "reddit's upvote/downvote system punishes nuance and promotes conformity" square with the fact that /r/politics is pretty much constantly progressive content all the time (pro-Sanders, anti-GOP, pro-issues that mainstream democrats care about like addressing climate change and citizens united)? If the site is as flooded with libertarians as everyone claims, shouldn't they be the ones setting the agenda on the most-trafficked political subreddit?

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

their fundamental argument is that they have a right to be a bigot, and other people should be required to tolerate them

Explain this argument

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

swampland posted:

Explain this argument

The anti-PC types do not want freedom of speech, they want freedom from consequences. They want people to be tolerant of their intolerance.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

How exactly do the claims of "reddit is a libertarian shithole" and "reddit's upvote/downvote system punishes nuance and promotes conformity" square with the fact that /r/politics is pretty much constantly progressive content all the time (pro-Sanders, anti-GOP, pro-issues that mainstream democrats care about like addressing climate change and citizens united)? If the site is as flooded with libertarians as everyone claims, shouldn't they be the ones setting the agenda on the most-trafficked political subreddit?

My impression of reddit is that each of the subs are pretty much separate fiefdoms so you'll have some that reinforce pro-Bernie Sanders opinions, some that are shockingly racist, some that never question bitcoin, and so forth. I don't spend any time on reddit to confirm this though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Play posted:

The problem is that when people say they want freedom of speech, they're really saying that the whole social justice thing has gone too far. Nobody actually wants absolute freedom of speech. Nobody would say you have to allow others to use your private property to disseminate speech regardless of content. It's a rhetorical trick people use to hide the fact that what they're really saying is "hey hey, obviously racism against black people is bad, but now we have to respect trannies? isn't that a step too far?"

And obviously there is a point at which social justice could go too far, obviously there are legitimate targets of criticism and discrimination and illegitimate ones. But the framing about freedom of speech disguises the true issue, which is that they don't think jokes about trannies and faggots crosses the line into unacceptable speech. The actual argument has always been about where that boundary should lie, not whether it should exist or not

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Tumblr is much more based around personal blogs and media sharing, which leads to the userbase being much more 'artsy', for lack of a better term, than Reddit's standard techno-libertarian userbase. And obviously there are exceptions within Reddit, it's not literally 100% libertarian screeds, but it definitely biases in that direction somewhat

StandardVC10 posted:

My impression of reddit is that each of the subs are pretty much separate fiefdoms so you'll have some that reinforce pro-Bernie Sanders opinions, some that are shockingly racist, some that never question bitcoin, and so forth. I don't spend any time on reddit to confirm this though.

That's accurate, although I would say the site's userbase is pretty homogeneously upper/middle class white males even if the topics of discussion are wildly heterogenous

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 30, 2015

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a liberal professor, and my liberal students terrify me

Here's another one of those "PC gone mad" articles. I remember reading this a couple months back and it immediately struck me that the only example he has of a student taking issue with his class is of a conservative student who said he had "communistical sympathies" (lol). So this guy writes an entire article about these radical left-wing students who are crazy and scary, but the only student who ever complains is a right-leaning one, and that was in 2009. So...what the gently caress?

Blue Star fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 30, 2015

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

Yeah, which is why it's weird to me that the site as a whole has a reputation for being smug internet libertarians when the most popular and visible segments of the site seem to be anything but.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

swampland posted:

It's simple, people who complain about PC censorship don't actually want outrageous or filthy humor, and they don't actually want any challenge to common ways of thinking. They just want to say friend of the family and dyke and spic again without anyone criticizing them for it, like the good old days.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yeah, which is why it's weird to me that the site as a whole has a reputation for being smug internet libertarians when the most popular and visible segments of the site seem to be anything but.

Ethics are a cloying overpowering addition to the site that make it pretty hard to notice anything else. Like a Reuben topped with a pound of black pepper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

StandardVC10 posted:

There's a few I look at, mostly comic ones, and its pretty decent. Like you once and a while will have some idiot bitching about Black Captain America or Pakistani Ms Marvel, but they get dogpiled on being a stupid racist pretty quickly and shut up. There's terrible opinions there, but people have those here too.

Goons trying to tell me Truman Show as the best movie of the 1990s, wtf?

The only report that can be actually falsified about students being upset by what a prof is talking about that I can think of is some religious woman who had to get her parents involved.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

twistedmentat posted:

There's a few I look at, mostly comic ones, and its pretty decent. Like you once and a while will have some idiot bitching about Black Captain America or Pakistani Ms Marvel, but they get dogpiled on being a stupid racist pretty quickly and shut up. There's terrible opinions there, but people have those here too.

Reddit is structured so that each sub-community, and the community as a whole, will aggressively enforce an orthodoxy applicable to that level of the community. If it happens to be one that you completely agree with, it'll be fine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

KomradeX posted:

So s friend of mine posted an article about some college banning the Vagina Monologues because it might be offensive to Trans students in response to sobering I posted about people complaining about PC gone mad mostly wanting to be bigots. And at face value I have a hard tone disagreeing with this one case being a car of over sensitivity but I'm not convinced it's part of a larger trend

Speaking of the Vagina Monologues, the aforementioned Christian university I attended didn't allow performances of the Vagina Monologues either. Guess how many free-thinking iconoclastic conservatives wrote concerned op-eds using my school as an example of creeping thought control and institutional censorship, lamenting the future of we cosseted youth deprived of perspectives outside the university administration's comfort zone, and fought the good fight on behalf of our students' freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

E: just to be clear, I completely agree with your post, I was just using it as a jumping-off point to talk about my Christian university which engaged in much stronger censorship than anything an Ivy league has been accused of doing be even the whiniest conservative.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 30, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well there's also this:

Part of why I believe "tumblr" is more often than not code for "women".

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I should reactivate my Xanga to get in on that hot gender bias.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

VitalSigns posted:

Speaking of the Vagina Monologues, the aforementioned Christian university I attended didn't allow performances of the Vagina Monologues either. Guess how many free-thinking iconoclastic conservatives wrote concerned op-eds using my school as an example of creeping thought control and institutional censorship, lamenting the future of we cosseted youth deprived of perspectives outside the university administration's comfort zone, and fought the good fight on behalf of our students' freedom of speech and freedom of expression.

speaking of which, how many of these christian universities have had bans on interracial dating well into the 90s/aughts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

swampland posted:

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/louis-ck-monologue/2866689

Pretty sure those old comedians are full of poo poo if you can get away with that intro on SNL in 2015.