Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

No safety issue.

nm posted:

Without a reason why other than "policy and appearance" this strikes me as the very definition of reasonable accomidation.

Not an ada lawyer though. I can't recall, do you work for a corp store or a franchise?
If it is a corp store, they'll have a human resources dept whose entire job is avoid getting sued over petty poo poo like this.

It's a franchise store, but it's a franchise that owns 35 stores, so they likely have some kind of HR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
In a contract, what is binding? The numerical number, or the written out number?

For example:
I promise to pay you $1000(five hundred) in 10(thirty) days.

What's binding there?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Nice try 1L contracts professor.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Nice try 1L contracts professor.

But seriously I have no idea what the right answer is.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The average.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

lord1234 posted:

It involves the rare judicial process known as, "Everyone pick a number between 1 and 10."

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

lord1234 posted:

This is a speech I give my clients:

If you ever find a lawyer that says something besides "It depends," don't hire them.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

lord1234 posted:

That would create an ambiguity justifying examination of other evidence of the intended price outside the contract itself. If there is none, the judge would pick whoever seems more believable.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

the milk machine posted:

That would create an ambiguity justifying examination of other evidence of the intended price outside the contract itself. If there is none, the judge would pick whoever seems more believable.

Also why you should never draft a contract that uses words (numbers).

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

lord1234 posted:

In a contract, what is binding? The numerical number, or the written out number?

For example:
I promise to pay you $1000(five hundred) in 10(thirty) days.

What's binding there?

Hopefully the contract for your malpractice insurance.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

ulmont posted:

Also why you should never draft a contract that uses words (numbers).

I can't stand that convention and yet almost every single contract we work with or draft does it. :mad:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

the milk machine posted:

I can't stand that convention and yet almost every single contract we work with or draft does it. :mad:
You know how you have to enter your email address on an order or a new password twice, to make sure there wasn't a typo that would screw you up? Like that, except from the old days when:
1. Documents weren't copy/pasted.
2. Documents were proofread, not just spellchecked.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
I've had two cheques in my lifetime get cashed for x amount + 40 cents instead of 00 cents, so at least dumbass banks in Plano, Texas just go with the number.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Texas Landlord/Tenant question:

The Texas Property Code says that the landlord's duty to repair includes "a device to supply hot water of a minimum temperature of 120 degrees Fahrenheit".

My hot water heater is working, but my shower faucet is broken. Is that considered part of a "device to supply hot water"?

What is considered a reasonable amount of time for repairs to begin? I've read seven days, but that's for most repairs.

Is the lack of a functioning shower (faucet is broken, the other water works) enough to qualify for an emergency repair or do I really need to give them seven days?

My shower faucet was difficult to turn off and on (the connection is loose under the handle), starting on Saturday and I filled out a work order for the landlord on Monday morning. The faucet stopped working completely Monday night, and I notified them of it this morning so they'd upgrade the work order's urgency. If I get home from work and it's not fixed yet I'll be pretty unhappy, and want to know if I really need to wait until next Monday or if I can press them to make the repair more quickly.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
That isn't a legal issue, you can complain at your landlord to fix the shower without citing a code provision to them.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

I've had two cheques in my lifetime get cashed for x amount + 40 cents instead of 00 cents, so at least dumbass banks in Plano, Texas just go with the number.

This is even funnier as with checks where the written amount (the "legal line") is explicitly the legal amount, but banks now just process checks through readers that scan the numerical amount (the "courtesy box") (and no way does anyone review the scanned value unless there's a dispute).

Reztes fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 25, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

See if it's working when you get home. If it's not, call them and ask why.

No it doesn't fall under the hot water heater provision, but if you can't work with your landlord on this, suing them to force a repair sure won't help.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
One of the most frustrating parts of being a lawyer is explaining to people that even if the law says they're right (they usually aren't), the other party usually won't give a poo poo and do whatever the gently caress they want and that going to trial is expensive and time-consuming so maybe go talk to the other guy and work it out.

We don't have an equivalent for small-claims court here. Do judges in those usually have higher discretionary powers to accept/dismiss evidence in an effort to speed up proceedings?

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

the milk machine posted:

I write engineering specs. Some technical writer got it out into our standard that written construction contract documents should all be done like this. They're plain language specifications. I figure they did it because it looked all legal and official like. It serves no purpose, and to highlight this even more, they stop doing it once you get to numbers you normally wouldn't write out in words.

"Install one (1) pump at each of the 129 locations indicated on the attached drawing."

I get into long arguments about this every month or two because documents like this with my name on them make me really annoyed.

Edit : seriously, 90% of the contract documents are drawings covered with tiny little numerical measurements that will get photocopied a billion times and covered in dirt. Yet, somehow the thing we're worried about is numbers in a document that will mostly be looked at in pdf and is in a nice big size twelve font, double spaced. Oh, and it's only numbers below ten that we're worried people will screw up.

T.C. fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 25, 2015

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

One of the most frustrating parts of being a lawyer is explaining to people that even if the law says they're right (they usually aren't), the other party usually won't give a poo poo and do whatever the gently caress they want and that going to trial is expensive and time-consuming so maybe go talk to the other guy and work it out.

We don't have an equivalent for small-claims court here. Do judges in those usually have higher discretionary powers to accept/dismiss evidence in an effort to speed up proceedings?

Small claims courts and their equivalents usually have very basic or nonexistent rules of evidence, and judges don't expect pro se parties to understand stuff like that. Appealing from those courts is usually a de novo trial at a proper trial court, so there are no concerns with preserving a record for appeal.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

Small claims courts and their equivalents usually have very basic or nonexistent rules of evidence, and judges don't expect pro se parties to understand stuff like that. Appealing from those courts is usually a de novo trial at a proper trial court, so there are no concerns with preserving a record for appeal.

So in practice they're as binding as the loser's party willingness to go to a proper trial?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
In general, yeah I think so. In Virginia, a small claim and certain other stuff would start in the General District court, which is not a court of record (no reporter or transcript unless you hire your own). If you don't like the result, you re-try the case in the Circuit Court, which has all the normal esoteric rules of procedure and evidence and such.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

In Texas, small claims Court is the legal equivalent of the Wild West.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
This isn't the first issue that I've had with the management company for my apartment. The front office agents are nice enough, but the maintenance crew is lazy at best and incompetent at worst. They have: left my front door unlocked all day, left my neighbors garage door open all weekend while they were out of town, entered without prior notification (not sure if this is actually illegal in Texas), and done maintenance without leaving a copy of the work order when finished (not illegal, but not following their policy).

I'm planing on working it out with them, but saying "hey you guys have done this stuff, and it's kinda illegal - please fix it because I actually like living here" is what I was going for.

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 25, 2015

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Pointing out that something is "illegal" is generally going to escalate a situation, not get things working in your favor. Just be courteous and pleasant and figure out the right person to talk to, if any. Barring that, move.

Don't try to litigate your shower faucet because it hasn't been fixed in 24 hours. Legal threats don't usually help anything, and some companies will immediately refuse to speak with you and direct you to their lawyer once threatened; letter writing and such is more useful as documentation later down the road.

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 25, 2015

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also, it's really just a violation of the Texas property code. It's not a crime. Your legal remedies are to sue to force the repairs, sue to break the lease, sue for monetary damages, or repair the condition yourself and withhold rent (do not do this, it's a tricky law to follow correctly).

Land lords typically hold all the cards, because if they decide they want to evict you, it's ridiculously easy to do so. There a reason we're suggesting tact and diplomacy. Complain to their bosses after they fix it, but holding a statute in your hand while doing so rarely goes over well, because what you're saying is "I'll sue your rear end."

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
If all you want to do is claim something is illegal (I'm not endorsing this strategy), just claim it's illegal. Claiming it's illegal and the legal thread on Something Awful's Ask/Tell forum agreed it's illegal isn't anymore convincing. If you're planning on actually suing them, hire a lawyer, because you'll need to do that anyways (again, not endorsing this strategy).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the milk machine posted:

In general, yeah I think so. In Virginia, a small claim and certain other stuff would start in the General District court, which is not a court of record (no reporter or transcript unless you hire your own). If you don't like the result, you re-try the case in the Circuit Court, which has all the normal esoteric rules of procedure and evidence and such.

Just FYI, but Cook County Circuit Court, one of the largest in the country, also has no reporter or transcript available unless you bring your own reporter, but it's as real a court as any other.

The only 'record' is one done with carbon paper that is usually illegible. Good times.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

So in practice they're as binding as the loser's party willingness to go to a proper trial?

Yeah, it's a common rule that the defendant in a small claims action can transfer the case to the regular civil court if they pay the difference in filing fees.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

mastershakeman posted:

Just FYI, but Cook County Circuit Court, one of the largest in the country, also has no reporter or transcript available unless you bring your own reporter, but it's as real a court as any other.

The only 'record' is one done with carbon paper that is usually illegible. Good times.

Nice, living the dream.

uberwekkness
Jul 25, 2008

You have to train harder to make it to nationals.
So I have a question regarding copyright stuff.

In a story I'm working on, a character is briefly written as wearing a Batman costume. This seems totally fine to me, but when I told a friend about it, they expressed concern. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm right in thinking that it's okay, and that I won't be fined or something.

Thanks in advance!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

uberwekkness posted:

So I have a question regarding copyright stuff.

In a story I'm working on, a character is briefly written as wearing a Batman costume. This seems totally fine to me, but when I told a friend about it, they expressed concern. I guess I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm right in thinking that it's okay, and that I won't be fined or something.

Thanks in advance!

There is absolutely no issue with mentioning trademarked or copyrighted things in a work of fiction, as long as you don't imply endorsement or tarnish the image of the thing referenced. So unless the character wearing a Batman costume is Jeffrey Dahmer, you're good.

A weird folk legend seems to exist that writers need to get some unspecified "permissions" to mention things, businesses, or places in their books. They do not. Of course, you can't write "The Kim Kardashian Guide to Disneyland" without permission from both KK and Disney, but you can say "Bob went to Disneyland and noticed Kim Kardashian there with her daughter and a flock of nannies" in a story about how Bob hates California or whatever.

However, there is absolutely no "fair use" in the U.S. for quoting song lyrics, so you do need permissions for that.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 28, 2015

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

AlbieQuirky posted:

However, there is absolutely no "fair use" in the U.S. for quoting song lyrics, so you do need permissions for that.

That's stupid.
(c) Universal Music Group

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can I set up a private club that will pay members for proof of their votes in US national government elections? How about if I will pay differing amounts for different parties? That is, I want to pay $0.001 for proof of democratic votes, but $20 for proof of republican votes, and only allow specific people to become members?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

baquerd posted:

Can I set up a private club that will pay members for proof of their votes in US national government elections? How about if I will pay differing amounts for different parties? That is, I want to pay $0.001 for proof of democratic votes, but $20 for proof of republican votes, and only allow specific people to become members?

You break the law as soon as you compensate people for their vote.

This is true even when you're not targeting it, or compensating people for voting a certain way. For instance, Starbucks got in trouble for offering a "show your 'I Voted' sticker, get a free cup of coffee" promotion a while back.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

baquerd posted:

This gets taken pretty seriously. There was a guy in my state that offered to pay $20 for votes on craigslist, and even though the prosecution stipulated that he was just "trolling" and had no intent to actually carry out the scheme, he still went to prison.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

AlbieQuirky posted:

Fair use of a copyrighted work is codified as not a copyright infringement at 17 US 107, and there is no sort of "unless the copyrighted work is a song lyric then you're hosed" exception to the exception.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
happy birthday to you

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

ulmont posted:

Fair use of a copyrighted work is codified as not a copyright infringement at 17 US 107, and there is no sort of "unless the copyrighted work is a song lyric then you're hosed" exception to the exception.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/107

Sure, fair use is allowed, but in some areas almost nothing counts as fair use by the courts' opinion. Oh, you only sampled three notes? Get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

There is absolutely no issue with mentioning trademarked or copyrighted things in a work of fiction, as long as you don't imply endorsement or tarnish the image of the thing referenced. So unless the character wearing a Batman costume is Jeffrey Dahmer, you're good.

Can you please elaborate on this? I'm not allowed to write a work of fiction in which my characters say good or bad things about a trademark?