Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Ok I updated this gayme (played it like twice months ago) and have no idea what's going on but I've sank a bote here and there and while I get the idea what are tactics?. Also I followed that link to the clan but it won't let me apply to join cause I'm already in PANSY in tanks. Why is it thus and what are the reasons for this thusness? And yeah I used some code awhile back giving me some tier 2 US gold bote I forget what it's called even though I wasn't playing because free stuff. This bote seems bad but maybe it's me. Tell me things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
No buyer's remorse for once.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Fat Jesus posted:

Ok I updated this gayme (played it like twice months ago) and have no idea what's going on but I've sank a bote here and there and while I get the idea what are tactics?. Also I followed that link to the clan but it won't let me apply to join cause I'm already in PANSY in tanks. Why is it thus and what are the reasons for this thusness? And yeah I used some code awhile back giving me some tier 2 US gold bote I forget what it's called even though I wasn't playing because free stuff. This bote seems bad but maybe it's me. Tell me things.

Sell T2 bote, continue to have the free port slot it came with.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Fat Jesus posted:

Well, PANSY and SEAMN are two different clans. SEAMN is actually full of seamen at the moment albeit there is no clan poo poo going on yet but the thought of having a SEAMN tag in front of ppls names is just too good to pass up so we are full.

Sell the bote, keep the slot and get something more enjoyable.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Tell me, brethren, rudder or acceleration upgrade for a battleship?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Rudder.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

When you see torpedoes coming out of nowhere you'l be really thankful for the extra rudder speed.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
HOLY loving poo poo, TALK ABOUT A GOOD ROUND!!!!!
I hope I am in the running for the battleship contest!

Definitely my best round ever. Also that was with the 2x and the 50% flag!

ty Durosklav and nanago for the help

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

That round is almost as good as my double today was bad.

Not bitter.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I've been Ruddering exclusively; I'm glad I'm on the right side of history. :sun:

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I've gotta say. I got my Nagato last night and good god it's main guns are poo poo. They have no penetration. I see you get new shells with the b hull, please tell me these ones can actually go through armour.

Gorau fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 30, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Gorau posted:

I've gotta say. I got my Nagato last night and good god it's main guns are poo poo. They have no penetration. I see you get new shells with the b hull, please tell me these ones can actually go through armour.

Yes.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

So I got a Marblehead code from a friend. My first game in it ended up as a 7k XP double, which has finally emancipated me from the Colorado.

The question for the North Carolina is: Secondary or AAA upgrade?

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

wdarkk posted:

That round is almost as good as my double today was bad.

Not bitter.

:3 yea not bitter at ALL

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Warbadger posted:

So I got a Marblehead code from a friend. My first game in it ended up as a 7k XP double, which has finally emancipated me from the Colorado.

AA, so many planes flying around these last few tiers.

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

Warbadger posted:

I want a code too~

Gorau posted:

I find the main guns to be pretty great, and accurate. The Nagato's real secret is getting both Advanced Firing Training and the upgrade for extra range on the secondaries and then brawling. It's a great ship, I think it's my fave BB to date.

e: Also how is the New Orleans? Is it that much better than the Pepsi or what?

AngrySpork fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 30, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
It feels kind of stupid that a cruiser can just charge my battleship from a fair distance and there isn't a lot I can do about it. They're really annoying to try and hit from the front, especially with the wide spread patterns I'm seeing on my early battleships.

If I try and run they're still faster than me by a fair margin, and I'm often down a number of guns while I wait for my turrets to swing about.

If I just try to swat him down, he'll still set me on fire over and over again and cause a sick nasty amount of damage even if I 'win'.

It's not even like I seek out 1v1s with cruisers. It just happens from time to time when my team gets all spread out and I'm trying to do something useful while they screw around.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It feels kind of stupid that a cruiser can just charge my battleship from a fair distance and there isn't a lot I can do about it. They're really annoying to try and hit from the front, especially with the wide spread patterns I'm seeing on my early battleships.

If I try and run they're still faster than me by a fair margin, and I'm often down a number of guns while I wait for my turrets to swing about.

If I just try to swat him down, he'll still set me on fire over and over again and cause a sick nasty amount of damage even if I 'win'.

It's not even like I seek out 1v1s with cruisers. It just happens from time to time when my team gets all spread out and I'm trying to do something useful while they screw around.

The biggest problem I'm seeing, besides the stupid shot dispersion, is the disparity on damage between a citadel hit and a regular penetration.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

To be honest this game is bizzaro-naval combat. In a battleship in this game you don't want a long range (10km+) gunnery duel with a cruiser. You will take a steady stream of damage from accurate shells and the resulting fires which you cannot easily avoid due to your larger size and more cumbersome turning. Meanwhile, unless the cruiser obliges you by driving in a straight line (and sometimes even if he does!), you'll be trying desperately to land a few hits every 30 seconds or so and praying that by some miracle of luck your shells manage to not only hit him, but citadel him rather than dealing lovely low damage in the off chance they do hit.

If he charges in to 8km or less (the kind of ranges BBs historically tried not to let cruisers close to) suddenly he can't weave fast enough to avoid fire reliably and you'll be able to drop a few salvos into his lower hull for sick citadel damage.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Aug 30, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

AngrySpork posted:

:3 yea not bitter at ALL

Eh I just have to accept I'm not very good at games when I'm feeling down.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Warbadger posted:

To be honest this game is bizzaro-naval combat. In a battleship in this game you don't want a long range (10km+) gunnery duel with a cruiser. You will take a steady stream of damage from accurate shells and the resulting fires which you cannot easily avoid due to your larger size and more cumbersome turning. Meanwhile, unless the cruiser obliges you by driving in a straight line (and sometimes even if he does!), you'll be trying desperately to land a few hits every 30 seconds or so and praying that by some miracle of luck your shells manage to not only hit him, but citadel him rather than dealing lovely low damage in the off chance they do hit.

If he charges in to 8km or less (the kind of ranges BBs historically tried not to let cruisers close to) suddenly he can't weave fast enough to avoid fire reliably and you'll be able to drop a few salvos into his lower hull for sick citadel damage.

Penetration falloff for lesser guns at longer ranges (or damage falloff in the case of HE) is probably what the game needed. Not sure if it's too late to implement, the entire game balance would have to be redone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Astroniomix posted:

The biggest problem I'm seeing, besides the stupid shot dispersion, is the disparity on damage between a citadel hit and a regular penetration.

I would agree with both of those. The shot dispersion is really bad. I don't expect ( or want ) block shots from NF or anything too predictable, but it feels like the quality of each spread is very random.

Last game I played in my Wyoming, I landed a nice spread right across the deck of a New York. 9 hits. It was incredibly depressing how little damage it did.

Warbadger posted:

To be honest this game is bizzaro-naval combat. In a battleship in this game you don't want a long range (10km+) gunnery duel with a cruiser.

I know I don't want those kinds of fights with cruisers, but there isn't always something I can do about it. At minimum range I can hit many more shots much more reliably, but if a cruiser is just constantly presenting his nose to me, I'm not going to be landing an incredible amount of shots. Meanwhile, he's constantly pecking me with HE and I'm on fire and everything sucks.

I'm not going to get citadel shots on his nose.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I wish this was the case at higher tiers.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I know I don't want those kinds of fights with cruisers, but there isn't always something I can do about it. At minimum range I can hit many more shots much more reliably, but if a cruiser is just constantly presenting his nose to me, I'm not going to be landing an incredible amount of shots. Meanwhile, he's constantly pecking me with HE and I'm on fire and everything sucks.

Believe me, I know. I just finished with the Colorado which is probably the worst Battleship experience in the game right now. I had a game today where a St. Louis happily burnt down about 3/4 of my HP from around 12km while the connecting shots from my 3 salvos managed to deal something like 7k damage. Awful luck with connecting shots due to hilariously bad dispersion plus each and every shot that connected managed to deal the all-too-familiar 1240 damage. It's one of the more painful parts of playing battleships right now and will probably become a larger issue as kiting battleships continues to slowly enter the general pubbie consciousness.

Hilariously the 4th salvo I fired at him was while he was entirely stationary after ramming an island at about 12km - it was the only salvo where every shot managed to miss. That part, at least, is something not all BBs suffer from equally.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The New Mexico will do this.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

demonR6 posted:

Well, PANSY and SEAMN are two different clans. SEAMN is actually full of seamen at the moment albeit there is no clan poo poo going on yet but the thought of having a SEAMN tag in front of ppls names is just too good to pass up so we are full.

Sell the bote, keep the slot and get something more enjoyable.

Such confusion. So you can't be in a different clan from a different game even if either one does not exist in the other, or WG will unfuck this once clanstuff starts in botes I guess?
In tanks you'd keep free poo poo babby tanks so next time they give it away you get the gold value instead (or did they just change that to silver value I've been busy). Also whats this doubloon poo poo I thought this was a WW2 game not Pirates of the Caribbean but anyway I'll play some more later. Also last night I failed to see what my crew/ captain was, where do they hide? I'm not past tier 2 yet if that helps.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Astroniomix posted:

That's probably the cause of all the other dumb things. Battleships can't be much more accurate than they are now, because accurate battleships would poo poo on everything else from safe ranges while taking forever to kill with anything other than a battleship. And inaccurate battleships have to depend on RNG to do their damage. Battleships are quite strong on average but over the course of a single game your performance has a lot of luck involved.

It feels like this game is balanced around player annoyance as much as anything. Cruisers are factually not overpowered, but they're least subject to most of the obnoxious bullshit. Air attacks are usually less of a threat than to battleships or destroyers, cruisers don't explode as quickly as destroyers, and pubbies seem less eager to HE spam cruisers. Random citadel hits are still annoying, but every class except destroyers (which die instantly anyway) has to deal with those.

Basically all the random factors average out more quickly in cruisers than battleships or destroyers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

My main problem with cruisers is being in a situation where if I turn a battleship will one-shot me and thus feeling compelled to sail into some horrible situation.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
With 25 seconds between salvos you can usually about face completely in the time it takes for them to reload.

It's a problem if you're sailing into a battle line of 3+, but that's a problem in of itself.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TheDemon posted:

With 25 seconds between salvos you can usually about face completely in the time it takes for them to reload.

It's a problem if you're sailing into a battle line of 3+, but that's a problem in of itself.

Only if they fire while I'm showing them a bad angle. If they have some patience I'm either locked in a standoff I can't win or get shot.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

Mmm, I feel like it's more likely they shoot as frequently as they can, as in 90% of battleships will just shoot at you, but if they hold their salvo you do in fact get to shoot them a whole lot while closing without any return fire. Cutting speed or finding an island you can angle towards might also work.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I've been citadel'd through the nose on my Omaha by a New York before. It was a fun surprise. I think anything with 14" guns will punch through.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TheDemon posted:

Mmm, I feel like it's more likely they shoot as frequently as they can, as in 90% of battleships will just shoot at you, but if they hold their salvo you do in fact get to shoot them a whole lot while closing without any return fire. Cutting speed or finding an island you can angle towards might also work.

I guess I just play at a time when more streamers and other "pros" are online relative to normal people, and some of them are quite good. It's like "oh Deprived Pickle is playing in a division, guess I can't do Tier 10s for a while."

As more idiots and average players get to tier 10 this will level off some I hope.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm sure it's different for higher tier stuff, it's just the tier 4-ish BBs are kind of bad and very mediocre in terms of damage.

But then I get into my Omaha and creep around islands, sneak up on people, and prank the poo poo out of them. It's hard to be mad when I can just go jump into an Omaha or a Japanese DD and reenact Jaws.

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
So, cruising in my Nicolas, I spot a South Carolina moving really close to some islands. I move to intercept, but an Omaha spots me and starts shooting. I stop behind an island within striking distance of the south carolina and wait for it to start rounding the corner. The Omaha decides the best choice is to charge right at the island. The SC starts rounding the corner so I loose 3 torps at it, and two seconds later the Omaha is just on the other side of my island so I loose 3 more at it. I get 6 torp hits, double strike, and 2 devastating strikes.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, after I upgraded my Nagato tonight, I'm feeling that my initial view was correct. That being that the Type 88 shells the stock hull has have significantly less penetration than the Type 91 shells the upgraded hull does. At the very least I'm scoring far more penetrations and citadels now than I ever did with the stock version, and that's the only change to the primary armament. Hell, I think the Type 88s may have less penetration than the guns on the Fuso.

On a related note, it felt SO GOOD to catch a hiding full health Ranger and dunk it in a single salvo. Three citadels and a few other hits, and there was no more Ranger.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Now I'm only T6 US and T5 Japan in BB's, but I'm really not seeing this with clevelands and omahas. Yeah the dispersion sucks, but between weaving during reloads and firing full salvos ASAP I can almost always win a 1v1 with a cruiser. Yeah I end up losing way more health than I like, but frankly I'm far more worried about a 1v1 with a minekaze than I am with a cleveland (peniscolas are even easier). From the cruiser side of things, when I'm in my cleveland the only time I know I have a BB dead to rights is when the dude moves in a straight line or is a lovely shot. His rounds move faster than mine, and the spread is such that if I stick with a target that can aim AND can move, I'm probably going to end up worse for wear.

Really though, I find that the games where I end up alone and in the front are the games we end up losing because I get smacked down asap. As long as you stay with the deathball you'll be ok. Something that seems to be a common theme with most of the gripes I'm seeing. Problem with carriers? Stick with the group, you may eat a torp but he'll lose most of his planes to AA; even BB's have nasty AA when there's a few of them around. Problems with DD's? Stick with the group, cruisers will eat a DD's lunch. Hell even a couple BB's shooting up a DD will gently caress up a DD torp run. Problems with cruisers? Stick with the group, more targets for him to shoot at, more firepower to wreck him on your side.

Maybe it's because I've logged way too many hours in Warthunder, but errors due to positioning really don't bother me. If I'm in a bad spot and get wrecked, it's (probably) not because one ship is soooo overpowered, it's probably because I didn't keep good SA and got myself hosed.

Also, I fully reserve the right to go back on ALL of this if things end up changing drastically tiers 7-10.

To be more constructive with your specific problems:
1. If you see a cruiser coming in a 1v1 situation, scan your minimap and set a path that will lead you to friendlies while allowing you to manuever to keep the cruiser to one side. Keep your guns angled to one side and move your ship to aim (you want some slack in the guns so if he starts moving lateral to your turn you can still track him). This will prevent the problem of turrets swinging around.

2. It happens, get as many anti-fire perks as you can and get used to swapping ammo as needed. Against US cruisers Phoenix and above I'll use AP, the citadel is stupid easy to hit from the side, and you can still nail them through the front and rear as well head on, just aim into the water in front of him and he'll drive right through em. Against St. Louis I'll use AP if close or really far, HE at mid range. Their citadel is stupid hard to hit, I'll chance it far away where he can't shoot back, or close up where I can really aim, but that mid range depending on my situation, HE is a nice safe bet for decent damage. Against Japanese is AP all the way, they're not as squishy as Phoenix-Pensacola, but you can still reliably crit them. In the end remember, you can repair a shitload of his damage after the fight.

3. Honestly, from my experience it's almost always a better idea to identify the pubbies closest to useful and stick with them. From there just think of your BB as a herding dog and the pubbies as a bunch of cats. If you see them going to do something stupid, use your bigass guns to remove the object of their desires until they start going where you want them. Eventually they'll get there, and you'll have a pretty boss score.

JacksLibido fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 30, 2015

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
The St. Louis is pretty easy to citadel with BBs. It's heavily armored for a cruiser, yes, but not enough to matter for 14' guns.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dezztroy posted:

The St. Louis is pretty easy to citadel with BBs. It's heavily armored for a cruiser, yes, but not enough to matter for 14' guns.

My New York has trouble penning St. Louises at close range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

PerrineClostermann posted:

My New York has trouble penning St. Louises at close range.

Yeah, plunging fire works better than straight on fire, at least, in my experiences with St Louises. It has a pretty difficult citadel to hit, but at least you'll be in range to plug it full of AP when its in range of you. Normal penetrations are 3k damage a pop, not a drop in the bucket by a long shot. You'll just get hosed with HE in the meantime, so its best to have allies around to capitalize on your big alpha strike removing a lot of his health.

Something to note when BB'ing. If you are getting 1k damage hits, YOU ARE OVERPENETRATING. Either you are nicking some side armor, or hitting superstructure. If your shots were dead on and you got hosed with dispersion, ok, nothing to do about that, but if your shots are mostly hitting superstructure for overpens, you might want to aim lower and see if it helps. Some shots may splash in the water, but your shells that do land on the deck are more likely to come in at a good angle to avoid overpenning.

If you're overpenetrating at close range... well, I don't know what to say. You're probably shooting a cruiser, so aim for the citadel and hope the citadel has enough armor to slow your shots down. It should. If you think you're overpenetrating the citadel, too, then you can always try to shoot below the waterline for underwater pens, or aim for whatever angled armor you're shown. Close range fights are black magicks and voodoo sorcery, tough it out.

Lord Koth posted:

Well, after I upgraded my Nagato tonight, I'm feeling that my initial view was correct. That being that the Type 88 shells the stock hull has have significantly less penetration than the Type 91 shells the upgraded hull does. At the very least I'm scoring far more penetrations and citadels now than I ever did with the stock version, and that's the only change to the primary armament. Hell, I think the Type 88s may have less penetration than the guns on the Fuso.

On a related note, it felt SO GOOD to catch a hiding full health Ranger and dunk it in a single salvo. Three citadels and a few other hits, and there was no more Ranger.

I don't know if I'm just making this up now, since you brought it up, but I feel the same way. No idea why, but I've been getting a lot more citadel hits after I upgraded the hull. :iiam:

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Aug 30, 2015