Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm pretty sure the voice acting union (or are there more?) is a reason.

And most major voice work comes part and parcel with Non-Disclosure Agreements these days. Even for established properties. If you physically talk about anything the production company doesn't want you to in a public venue, you're dead meat, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I swear she mentioned having a speaking role in an episode in addition to her editing role, but it would most likely be something along the lines of "Hey, we need someone to voice unnamed extra #547563. Who here can say "Wow, it's Bellsprout!" into a microphone?"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Provided I haven't looked at pokemon since maybe 2008 but isn't it just a trainer of the week deal? Ash, Brock and Female From Current Generation of the Game meet trainer of the week, they bond, Team Rocket shows up, Ash shows Team Rocket what for. There's always a random trainer that needs to be voiced.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Just out of curiousity, everything I read about the Old Days of Animation (the 90s) and a few vaguely remembered books said that voice actors had always had incredibly weak bargaining positions, didn't do well with royalties, etc. I heard that one of the reasons so many 80s and 90s cartoons had extraneous songs was that, due to music royalty practices, it was one of the only ways voice actors could get consistent royalties from shows. Any truth to that? How has it changed in the past fifteen-ish years?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it
She worked on Pokemon in an editing capacity, not as a voice actor, guys. She did have a cameo or two as a background character, but that's because she was around, and they always need more voices, so that would have been a "pop into the booth, say a thing, pop back out" sorta deal. But yeah, the job was editing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Klingon Hamlet Pt2 is up!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Paladin posted:

Just out of curiousity, everything I read about the Old Days of Animation (the 90s) and a few vaguely remembered books said that voice actors had always had incredibly weak bargaining positions, didn't do well with royalties, etc. I heard that one of the reasons so many 80s and 90s cartoons had extraneous songs was that, due to music royalty practices, it was one of the only ways voice actors could get consistent royalties from shows. Any truth to that? How has it changed in the past fifteen-ish years?

Basically union jobs are very good for VA's. Non-union jobs like most non-triple A games and anime are poo poo pay with horrible work conditions, and if they want an old VA back, they basically have to agree to them not being listed or under a fake name.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a question about voice acting, specifically voice actors in Japan - how much of a celebrity thing is it? Because it seems to me, as someone who's not really into the anime or video game industries, that people talk about it like it's a major source of celebrity there; is it just nerds on the Internet having small reference pools, or is it really that big? (I know many of them are quite often popular singers as well.)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I want Todd to do a OHW on C'est la Vie by B*Witched. I think they qualify as a one hit wonder in the US specifically, with one song reaching 9 on the charts, and their other possible "hit" only got to 67. (They were big in the UK for a bit though)

I have no real reason for me to want him to review this, I don't know if the band is particularly interesting other than normal music group ~drama~. All I know is that C'est la Vie has been stuck in my head for weeks and I want everyone to suffer and my chosen vector is Todd. (Also, the song is gloriously goofy in the way most late '90s Euoropean dancepop that's probably about sex is).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The entire boy band / girl group boom we had in the aftermath of the Spice Girls blowing up was a curious time for pop music. They've all gotten back together in the past few years, of course - there's nostalgia for them now. They take us back to a simpler time - a world where it is eternally 10 September 2001, I suppose. I guess they appeal to people my age (the 22-24 age bracket) who were kids when they all that stuff was popular, who are all maybe a year out of university and struggling to get to grips with the real world.

Still, the OHW I'd be most keen to see would be either "My Boy Lollipop" by Millie Small (because I'm pretty sure it's basically the only ska song by a Jamaican artist that's ever been a hit in America), one of the big garage band hits ("Wooly Bully", "96 Tears", "Louie Louie", "Gloria") or "In the Year 2525". I think Todd would find a lot to talk about from the 1960s.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 29, 2015

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Wheat Loaf posted:

I have a question about voice acting, specifically voice actors in Japan - how much of a celebrity thing is it? Because it seems to me, as someone who's not really into the anime or video game industries, that people talk about it like it's a major source of celebrity there; is it just nerds on the Internet having small reference pools, or is it really that big? (I know many of them are quite often popular singers as well.)

JO can probably give a more qualified answer from an industry perspective, but I want to be clear that in Japan cartoons (and games to some extent) are not really "for adults". It's changing, but there exist a non-trivial number of people who will judge you as at best a weirdo who will probably never date anyone and at worst a potential child murderer if you're older than your mid teens and admit to liking any anime. It's definitely stronger than the blowback you'd normally get in the US for watching cartoons. Maybe closer to the reflexive "ew" you see Bronies or Furries get. (Exceptions exist for things like seeing the odd Miyazaki movie or other family-oriented anime; there are even a couple mainstream prime time shows just like we have The Simpsons). Manga is okay and almost universal, but anime less so. Yes, there is an odd double standard here with how they plaster Pikachu on credit cards, airplanes, and World Cup soccer teams. It's a very complex cultural thing that I don't think can be done justice in this thread.

All that said, voice acting is definitely a bigger deal than it is here, and part of that is the sheer volume of voice acted work Japan puts out. Last I checked Japan produces somewhere over 50% of the animation in the entire world. On top of that we have the voice acting work for radio and dubbing of foreign films. "For adults" or not, an industry develops around that. Voice acting is certainly bigger in that there are dedicated "voice acting" schools and magazines, as well as voice actors getting talk show spots, interviews, and transitioning into pop-stardom the way American TV/Hollywood actors and actresses try to. People happily call themselves "voice actors" in specific. Average people might know their names, even if they're not overly familiar with most of their work.

In America, voice actors rarely consider themselves voice actors. Time and time again, I see voice actors here regularly downplay the "voice" part. They're actors who happen to primarily do voice roles. Most of them intended to be "normal" actors but landed into voice roles by happenstance, only a few exceptions exist like Tom Kenny (Spongebob, Ice King, Powerpuff Girls narrator/mayor) who pretty much wanted to do voice from the start. See also that most major productions like the ones from, e.g., Disney and Pixar, use major live action actors for their voices instead of using voice acting studios like Funimation, Viz, or most game studios do. (With maybe a few odd voice acting standbys like Jim Cummings for good measure in supporting roles)

So it's a bit of a netherzone. Is voice acting in Japan more major than in the US? Certainly, but I'm not sure I'd really go so far as to call people who are solely prominent voice actors "potential megastars" in the way we envision Hollywood actors or major pop stars being. Maybe closer to One Direction where they're a big thing and you know who they are, but if you actually know anything specific about them you're probably a teenager (or Todd).

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 29, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If people down at you in Japan for liking jojo's bizarre adventure, well, that does not sound like a good place to be.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jsor posted:

So it's a bit of a netherzone. Is voice acting in Japan more major than in the US? Certainly, but I'm not sure I'd really go so far as to call people who are solely prominent voice actors "potential megastars" in the way we envision Hollywood actors or major pop stars being. Maybe closer to One Direction where they're a big thing and you know who they are, but if you actually know anything specific about them you're probably a teenager (or Todd).

Yeah. That's pretty much how it is. Also, most of the more commonly known Japanese VAs tend to build their status with stuff they do outside of VA work more than the actual voice acting. A lot of them are singers, theater performers, etc. and that's where their popularity mostly comes from.

Also, being a VA in Japan is still quite poo poo work. For, iirc, the first ten years (on average) a Japanese VA is actually working one of the lowest paying jobs an adult can in the country since the mandatory VA union dictates everything wage wise and it's on a hard tier system with little room for negotiation.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

nine-gear crow posted:

She drifted away from her Nostalgia Chick persona and eventually just started doing reviews as herself with an eye towards subjecting films to actual captal-C Criticism instead of being the "Female Doug" gimmick the CA brass wanted her to be. About a year and a half or so ago she broke off from CA and set up Chez Apocalypse, taking a chunk of the popular CA talent with her (Kyle, Rantsmo, Folding Ideas, Paw, Maven & Nella, Todd, what have you). She also got a few jobs in "Traditional" media, including some brief voice acting work on Pokemon. Yep.

Now she's one of The Mary Sue's two film reviewers, the other one being Lesley Coffin, who just going by most of the headlines she writes for her reviews, seems to despise all forms of popular cinema on a level that would make even Mike Stoklasa blush.

So what I'm hearing is that she briefly achieved escape velocity, then fell back into internet hell. :v:

Their patreon is pretty funny though https://www.patreon.com/posts/3149322

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want a basic look at what life is like for Japanese VA's, one of the currently-airing anime series this season covers this exact topic. It's called Seiyu's life, and each episode has a cameo from a well-known VA as themselves :allears:.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Generally a lot of countries, not just Japan, have a slightly bigger profile for VA's because of dubbing major films. USA does not have to nor do they frequently dub over the latest bollywood or major french film as a major box office draw on a constant basis, but China will need all hands on deck to voice the latest Transformers, Terminator, Marvel movie, etc.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd heard that too, though IMDB only seems to list an acting credit for it. So, take that bit with a grain of salt. At the very least, she did something related to the Pokemon anime.

The grain of salt comes from the last lick used by the horse's mouth itself. She was posting on Twitter about it after it was ok to do so. She was doing editing work. There's some wonderful rants about how loving awful AVID is (the editing software). Said on multiple occasions she was doing editing and NOT voice acting. At some point got to do a bit part, the equivalent of "we need a Pokeman to make a grunt, and the episode's deadline is in three hours. Who isn't on lunch-- hey, Lindsay, you're a fan right, wanna do something cool?"

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If people down at you in Japan for liking jojo's bizarre adventure, well, that does not sound like a good place to be.

Probably not an issue there since they have access to the entire manga through legitimate channels and that's apparently okay..

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
Aurini and Thunderfoot might soon be at war and it's going to be hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fKpForIdqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrOnhbsZqE

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
When you're so stupid Thunderfoot is dunking on you how do you not just delete everything and go into the mountains to hide out.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Is it wrong that I've started opening these links in private browsing mode? I don't want youtube to start recommending me a bunch of MRA videos.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
In many ways, YouTube loving sucks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jsor posted:

I want Todd to do a OHW on C'est la Vie by B*Witched. I think they qualify as a one hit wonder in the US specifically, with one song reaching 9 on the charts, and their other possible "hit" only got to 67. (They were big in the UK for a bit though)

I have no real reason for me to want him to review this, I don't know if the band is particularly interesting other than normal music group ~drama~. All I know is that C'est la Vie has been stuck in my head for weeks and I want everyone to suffer and my chosen vector is Todd. (Also, the song is gloriously goofy in the way most late '90s Euoropean dancepop that's probably about sex is).

It also has one of the strangest videos I've ever seen.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
So, it may come as no surprise that the blip shutdown has been a bit of a hassle for me, and generally slowed me down as a creator.
However, I just did a review! Of an ice cream.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ema Nymton posted:

So what exactly is the process for this? Do they get to talk to someone from YouTube? Does he have to send a picture of his car?

Alacron posted:

Is it wrong that I've started opening these links in private browsing mode? I don't want youtube to start recommending me a bunch of MRA videos.

Don't worry, if you watch ANY of Feminist Frequency's videos, Youtube is going to recommend MRA stuff.

Speaking of which, I finally found a rebuttal to one of Anita Sarkeesian's points that isn't from an rear end in a top hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3U6f_qxZ8

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 29, 2015

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Ema Nymton posted:

Even better:

But remember:
1) YouTube never takes down anything without an explicit request from a copyright holder
2) If you aren't infringing, you have nothing to worry about
3) The system is in place to make it fair to ALL copyright holders, so they can take down legit infringing materials

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Chromatic posted:

Aurini and Thunderfoot might soon be at war and it's going to be hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fKpForIdqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yrOnhbsZqE

When did Aurini become a cowboy? Is he on a quest to rescue his lost skull friends?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

prahanormal posted:

When did Aurini become a cowboy? Is he on a quest to rescue his lost skull friends?

Next he'll be a construction worker, and then a sailor. He's skipping the indian for obvious reasons.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

lornekates posted:

But remember:
1) YouTube never takes down anything without an explicit request from a copyright holder
2) If you aren't infringing, you have nothing to worry about
3) The system is in place to make it fair to ALL copyright holders, so they can take down legit infringing materials

Unfortunately, the whole thing has been wrecked by different "networks" that manage content creators and go overzealous when it comes to ANYTHING that might infringe on their workers/slaves (since most do not make much money.)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHur14OlF_s

So SF Debris just put up a video officially announcing that he's moving his videos to Screenwave, and that he'll be putting up some more videos on Youtube in the meantime.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if having the videos of various companies flagged for infringement by "themselves" would make them raise enough of a stink to force YouTube to adopt some sort of verification process. At the very least it would stop just anyone from making a claim. Probably wishful thinking on my part.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 30, 2015

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Alacron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHur14OlF_s

So SF Debris just put up a video officially announcing that he's moving his videos to Screenwave, and that he'll be putting up some more videos on Youtube in the meantime.

That's wonderful news! Hopefully, all his stuff will be back by October and he'll be able to release new content on a regular basis again.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

BigRed0427 posted:

So what exactly is the process for this? Do they get to talk to someone from YouTube? Does he have to send a picture of his car?

Don't worry, if you watch ANY of Feminist Frequency's videos, Youtube is going to recommend MRA stuff.

Speaking of which, I finally found a rebuttal to one of Anita Sarkeesian's points that isn't from an rear end in a top hat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb3U6f_qxZ8

In the comments, he shared an article written by Lindsay that adresses this in more detail. I think it's overall spot on.

http://www.themarysue.com/stop-asking-is-this-feminist/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

He'll need to take a picture of himself inside his car with a sign saying "I am Brad Johns and this is my car" in one hand and the other hand holding the pink slip to the car to prove he owns the interior of the car (alternatively, the info of the bank he got the loan from so youtube can contact the bank and verify)

Now as to how he'll prove he owns his guest commentator, I think that may violate the 13th amendment.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Infamous Sphere posted:

So, it may come as no surprise that the blip shutdown has been a bit of a hassle for me, and generally slowed me down as a creator.

You should use that “American ASMR” voice the next time you have to pretend to be a serial killer.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

echopapa posted:

You should use that “American ASMR” voice the next time you have to pretend to be a serial killer.

Certified Chilling. Now all I need to do is get myself a pair of dahmerspecs and I'll have the complete package.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Infamous Sphere posted:

Your American voice sounds kind of Dutch, should you ever need to blend in around the arctic circle. And isn't peanut butter regarded as bafflingly gross by the rest of the world, like it's America's marmite? Seems like a poor choice to market as representative of America.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I've never heard any blowback against peanut butter other than "ehhhh, I don't really care for it" or "It will literally kill me". It's not nearly as big of a thing anywhere else that I've been or seen but it's nowhere near Marmite or Vegemite.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Phelous's video about Dragon Ball Z censorship made me actually side with the censors if that's the kind of people they're pissing off make videos bemoaning about such.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I feel that it really illustrates the shallowness of 90+% of internet critics that everyone in here blithely accepted that the supply of things to review could be exhausted. People have been finding new things to say about Shakespeare for 400 years. I can think of 5 different ways to review even something like The Room: 1) The Room as social phenomenon, 2) The Room as outsider art, 3) Feminist critique, 4) Postmodern critique (how it appropriates iconography from classic films without understanding, and how it was written blind to medium), 5) The Room as How Not to Make a Film.

• Locked thread