Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

I, Butthole posted:

Lego games are loving notorious for it

Yeah but in terms of dollars spent to hours played Rock Band has probably been the best value game I've ever played sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo whats a bit of disposable income between friends

It's not a money thing, it's a you-can't-export-those-anymore-and-may-never-have-a-chance-to-get-them-again thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

TrojanNemo posted:

Granted I don't play many console games, but I've never, ever, had that happen with any console game I've ever played. My PC games on the other hand...

Games crashing at PAX/E3/whatever isn't out of the ordinary, ESPECIALLY if the game is still in development/not out yet.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Rock Band 3 crashed consistently before... TU4?

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
So is it up to the game to handle the crash and reboot the console, or does the console catch the crash and reboot on its own?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TrojanNemo posted:

So is it up to the game to handle the crash and reboot the console, or does the console catch the crash and reboot on its own?

Ever since the original Xbox era, consoles have essentially been specialized PCs. Crashes get handled by the end user.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Rock Band 3 crashed consistently before... TU4?
There was one venue loading animation where there was a very good chance of a crash. How that didn't get caught in QA I'll never understand.

I never had console games crash on me either until I bought a PS3 where it happens with some regularity.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

TrojanNemo posted:

Granted I don't play many console games, but I've never, ever, had that happen with any console game I've ever played. My PC games on the other hand...

Sounds like you've never played a Bethesda game on PS3, then!

Seriously though, games crash all the time while they're in development, it's honestly kind of amazing how rare it is for released games to do it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
C3 custom song releases for August 28, 2015:

New! Muse C01 11-pack
  • Muse - "Apocalypse Please" (GreenPanda12)
  • Muse - "Butterflies and Hurricanes" M (BearzUnlimited)
  • Muse - "Endlessly" (GreenPanda12)
  • Muse - "Exo-Politics" M (Neversoft and GreenPanda12)
    Converted from Guitar Hero 3 DLC
  • Muse - "Map of the Problematique" (AddyMilldike)
  • Muse - "Sing for Absolution" (GreenPanda12)
  • Muse - "Space Dementia" (GanonMetroid ft. AddyMilldike)
  • Muse - "Stockholm Syndrome" (AddyMilldike)
  • Muse - "Time is Running Out" (GreenPanda12)
  • Muse - "Undisclosed Desires" K (Kueller, The_Rock_Band_King, and Psiven ft. GreenPanda12)
  • Muse - "Uprising" M (Neversoft, GHtoRB3, and AddyMilldike)
    Converted from Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
New! Creed C01 3-pack (ws54)
  • Creed - "One"
  • Creed - "One Last Breath"
  • Creed - "What's This Life For"

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Nice! The Muse songs are going to be uniformly fun as hell to play.

Creed is also a thing that happened.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
And if that don't suit ya!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

pksage posted:

New! Muse C01 11-pack
  • Muse - "Undisclosed Desires" K (Kueller, The_Rock_Band_King, and Psiven ft. GreenPanda12)

I can't stop crying.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Kabanaw posted:

Sounds like you've never played a Bethesda game on PS3, then!

I've never owned a PS3 and don't think I play much or at all on one either. I got me a PS4 (and for some reason, a PS1) this time around, but my only experience has been The Last of Us and Little Big Planet 3, and they were both solid.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

New! Muse C01 11-pack

Dear lord

where is citizen erased
where is it

Nyxyxylyth
Apr 4, 2013

TrojanNemo posted:

Granted I don't play many console games, but I've never, ever, had that happen with any console game I've ever played.
I had the RB3 crate crash twice in the first 3 hours on launch day.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
How do the new strats feel compared to the old ones? I wasn't really a fan before, but I need some new hardware badly.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

pksage posted:

New! Muse C01 11-pack
New! Creed C01 3-pack (ws54)
  • Creed - "One"
  • Creed - "One Last Breath"
  • Creed - "What's This Life For"

Hahahaha, well poo poo.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nothing from Showbiz, booooo!

(That's still kinda cool though.)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

pksage posted:

New! Muse C01 11-pack

:worship::worship::worship:

AND a multitrack version of Born to Be Wild, you guys are too good for me.

Once things shut down I'm gonna have to yank all my custom packs out and redo them, I'm getting a buncha repeats now and there are some songs that I simply don't enjoy that much but have kept because hey, they're in the pack, but if things really are settling down then I might as well take a couple nights and put in the effort to make my library look pretty.

EDIT: Quick question, why isn't Stockholm Syndrome a multitrack? It was also a GH3 release, along with Exo-Politics and Super Massive Blackhole, so I'm curious why it's not also a convert.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 29, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

EDIT: Quick question, why isn't Stockholm Syndrome a multitrack? It was also a GH3 release, along with Exo-Politics and Super Massive Blackhole, so I'm curious why it's not also a convert.

I'd have to ask the author but sometimes those stems sound like poo poo, and best case they're just "guitar", "bass/rhythm", and "everything else" -- three stems total. The GH3 stems are probably a little better than the GH2 stems, but "Dead!" sounded bad to the point that I was tempted to use the CD mix.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
Spent a lot of time playing and watching RB4 at PAX yesterday and here's some things I saw. Sorry if some of these are old news, I don't follow the builds:

• The new drums are bright red.
  • The framerate and graphics are way more polished than in older videos. I didn't see much in the way of post-processing though.
  • Freeform solos aren't exactly freeform; you will flunk them unless you memorize the motions card and do the right things each time the pattern changes. So basically the entire day nobody was getting 100% on guitar.
  • Loading screens once again show rendered stills of your band ala RB1-RB2.
  • Finishing a song and continuing shows your band idling on stage between songs until the library loads. No more transitional cutscenes; you no longer leave the venue after every song to order fast food.
  • I talked with Eric Pope for a while about the logistics of porting the old DLC forward and music licensing and Microsoft licensing. He told me that they couldn't allow RB4 to read the old DLC formats locally, even if they put a decoder/interpreter in their own software, and every old song has to be individually repackaged. This, not licensing, is why old songs will not be available all at once.
  • The build at pax apparently has a major timing error which they compensate for ahead of time by calibrating. You can still notice the lag because the microphone sound and the pitch needle are running more than 500ms behind the rest of the game. Pope says they can't hide it because this build also has a bug where adjusting the mic volume crashes the game. :downs:
  • First thing in the morning their TV broke. I got called over to fix it and HMX recognized my name and asked for my business card. :holy:
  • They know livestreaming a licensed music game has been a legal grey area but are going to launch with it enabled by default, but ready to patch it out if any labels get huffy.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 29, 2015

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Did you check out Guitar Hero Live?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Im doing that today. I went home and skipped GHL because HMX gave me a free poster for fixing their TV yesterday and I didn't want to carry around a poster.
GHL doesn't have a booth anyway, but they are being demoed in SkullCandy's booth to show off the headphones or something.
I'll be posting stuff I see and do related to music gaming here all weekend: https://twitter.com/orangerb3

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 29, 2015

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Thanks Orange! Honestly interested in a new music format, though I still think GHL needs four frets.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Orange Harrison posted:

Spent a lot of time playing and watching RB4 at PAX yesterday and here's some things I saw. Sorry if some of these are old news, I don't follow the builds:

I'm pretty sure those are just a prototype, most of the instruments Harmonix is using for events at this point are hardware prototypes. There's a bunch of different color instruments floating around the office.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Orange Harrison posted:

• First thing in the morning their TV broke. I got called over to fix it and HMX recognized my name and asked for my business card. :holy:

What was wrong with the TV that they didn't have a tech person who could reasonable handle it?

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
So if they have to repackage all the DLC into current gen format, does that mean we'll still get repackaged DLC of songs that have been taken down for purchase because of license expiration?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

The T posted:

What was wrong with the TV that they didn't have a tech person who could reasonable handle it?

When PAX opens, all the janky setups will die at once as the huge volume of people starts using them, which means dozens of simultaneous help requests to the tech guys, which means lots of people will have to wait a long time for tech staff. Help DID eventually arrive but it took a few hours.
HMX has a photographer with a photo printer who gives you a printed picture of your performance after you play on stage. He was plugged into the same outlet as one of the TV's though, and it blew a fuse. The xbone was plugged directly into that TV, using its HDMI-through to feed all the other screens and the sound system, so when that TV died everything on stage went out. We just moved a TV from farther down the chain to where the root one was and had the photographer use a different outlet.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

So if they have to repackage all the DLC into current gen format, does that mean we'll still get repackaged DLC of songs that have been taken down for purchase because of license expiration?

They've said that if a song has been pulled from the store but you already own it, it will sill transfer over.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
OH (or anyone else at PAX), if you get a chance, can you ask about RB1 exporting (because it went directly to the hard drive on the 360)? Thanks!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

I'm not running home to post every new thing I find out so once I'm at pax my answers to things will be on twitter.
Meanwhile my friends who run the Seattle Rock Band Group were apparently taking some 360-degree videos of the RB stage. I didn't know youtube supports that.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
For anyone who has a Stage Kit and might be interested, I'm reviving the old SK Lightworks app. Initial release will be based off the beta source code he never released, with my own changes and improvements. But from there we can go a lot of ways with this and I've already got some ideas. So keep an eye out if you were wondering what to do with your stage kit.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

My last day at Harmonix was yesterday but mark my words someday I will get the stagekit working on mobile devices

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
Well, if you can interface with a Xbox controller through a mobile device, then porting this over wouldn't be a problem. But as of right now we rely on XInput for that and I think that's part of DirectX and therefore only available on Windows.
But if you connect the stage kit to a pc with a service that you can connect to using a client on the mobile device ...that's doable.

The only truly great solution though, is for native support in the game. We need to push for that once the more important things are ironed out.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Orange Harrison posted:

• The framerate and graphics are way more polished than in older videos. I didn't see much in the way of post-processing though.
  • Freeform solos aren't exactly freeform; you will flunk them unless you memorize the motions card and do the right things each time the pattern changes. So basically the entire day nobody was getting 100% on guitar.
  • Loading screens once again show rendered stills of your band ala RB1-RB2.
  • Finishing a song and continuing shows your band idling on stage between songs until the library loads. No more transitional cutscenes; you no longer leave the venue after every song to order fast food.
  • I talked with Eric Pope for a while about the logistics of porting the old DLC forward and music licensing and Microsoft licensing. He told me that they couldn't allow RB4 to read the old DLC formats locally, even if they put a decoder/interpreter in their own software, and every old song has to be individually repackaged. This, not licensing, is why old songs will not be available all at once.
  • The build at pax apparently has a major timing error which they compensate for ahead of time by calibrating. You can still notice the lag because the microphone sound and the pitch needle are running more than 500ms behind the rest of the game. Pope says they can't hide it because this build also has a bug where adjusting the mic volume crashes the game. :downs:
  • They know livestreaming a licensed music game has been a legal grey area but are going to launch with it enabled by default, but ready to patch it out if any labels get huffy.

• The colors are for the prototypes only and are on indefinite hold for public production runs.
  • Because it's still a dev build.
  • Everyone who was doing on any stream was getting "Messy" so we knew.
  • Neat.
  • Neat.
  • Still would be nice to hear about a general schedule in the near future.
  • I guess that explains some of why almost everyone playing it seemed to crummy.
  • Neat.
  • Sure will be cool watching people stream their play-throughs... restarting for FCs... mostly alone...

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)
Probably worth noting that even if you get a "messy" on a guitar solo, it's not going to affect your crowd meter or anything like that. Also, there's a modifier to disable the guide cues entirely so you can just play whatever the hell you want and not get judged for it (which includes getting none of the points).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

You can also turn off the custom solos altogether if you really want to 100% the song

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you
So what are the chances of some third party creating a way to get the Ion drums to work with RB4? Or is this pretty much impossible?

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

So what are the chances of some third party creating a way to get the Ion drums to work with RB4? Or is this pretty much impossible?

Same as before: you need a wireless controller to hack and a separate box to manage your MIDI brain. And somebody who will create the equivalent of a J5 or any of the old homebrew boxes we used to have for RB1 and RB2.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
If we get a final, definitive "no, never gonna happen" from Harmonix/ION, I could see an enterprising person buying up a bunch of RB2/RB3 drum brains, making control boxes themselves, and selling them for $100+. Not sure what the latency would look like. Probably not too bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Orange Harrison posted:

you no longer leave the venue after every song to order fast food.

Preorder canceled.