Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I don't know what I expected from Dejim Nebrahl after that prologue chapter but it sure wasn't wandering around for half a book, getting his rear end kicked by every character he meets (including Pust and a random Malazan soldier), then being used as Deragoth bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Illinois Smith posted:

I don't know what I expected from Dejim Nebrahl after that prologue chapter but it sure wasn't wandering around for half a book, getting his rear end kicked by every character he meets (including Pust and a random Malazan soldier), then being used as Deragoth bait.

Dejim Nebrahl did separate Mappo from Icarium, so it had one win. :unsmith:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It's kind of a recurring theme through all ten books that the guy who used to be the biggest badass of all history might not be 150,000 years later.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Oh, speaking of unexpected developments, Karsa befriending a nerdy witch is loving delightful.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Karsa is loving delightful.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

pile of brown posted:

It's kind of a recurring theme through all ten books that the guy who used to be the biggest badass of all history might not be 150,000 years later.

Seriously.

Anyone read the Esselmont books? I've really been enjoying them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Seriously.

Anyone read the Esselmont books? I've really been enjoying them.

You might be in the minority there...

I like to think of ICE's books as the Hollywood Tours of the Malazan series. Nice for sightseeing the world but not much substance otherwise.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I think they have some really great parts, the only one I thought was a bit boring was Blood and Bone. But to each their own.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Illinois Smith posted:

Oh, speaking of unexpected developments, Karsa befriending a nerdy witch is loving delightful.

It's like the Taming of the Shrew in reverse, but over multiple books.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I think they have some really great parts, the only one I thought was a bit boring was Blood and Bone. But to each their own.
You might be the only person ever who actually liked Assail, then.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

No, no, there is that other guy in this thread - Baudin maybe?

But those are the only two.

They are our Beaks. :downs:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Although I still haven't read all of Assail, I do dig the way he writes the sailing stuff.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

You might be the only person ever who actually liked Assail, then.

I probably am. I thought it was great actually. I've been told I have terrible taste in pretty much everything though.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Habibi posted:

No, no, there is that other guy in this thread - Baudin maybe?

But those are the only two.

They are our Beaks. :downs:

Wow rude.

I think. I can't work it out because Beak is actually pretty awesome despite his... uh... limitations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tommofork posted:

Wow rude.

I think. I can't work it out because Beak is actually pretty awesome despite his... uh... limitations.

Like Beak, they are lovable but slightly touched.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
The cover of "Fall of Light" looks awful. Doesn't seem like there's a UK variant either. Dissapointing since these are the only books I prefer to have hard covers for.

Jayisspecial fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2015

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Way to be helpful, jay

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, it does have some implications - maybe we'll finally get to see what the mess with T'iam was about.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

That cover doesn't look so bad...

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It's cool except I keep waiting for it to start bellowing "Dead by dawn, dead by dawn!"

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Nothing can be as bad as the "Santa's sleigh" Bonehunters cover.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

Ha-ha the most Wheel of Timey Malazan cover.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

The Trygalle Trade Guild doesn't give a gently caress.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is it March yet? :(

Guess I should be grateful I still have time to finish my reread.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Juaguocio posted:

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Whiskeyjack gonna wrench his arm trying to draw that sword.

Lord Jigger
May 8, 2008

I hate this cover, but it's the cover on my signed first edition, so I'll tolerate it I guess.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Ergonomically, I don't think he can actually get that sword out of its scabbard. :colbert:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Juaguocio posted:

I remember when I first read that book and I was confused as to just what the hell that scene was supposed to be. Then I got to it and it was such a minor thing that I had to close the book and check the cover again. Why was that chosen?

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Ergonomically, I don't think he can actually get that sword out of its scabbard. :colbert:

He launches it out of his scabbard like a javelin and catches it on the way down. Because he's loving Whiskeyjack, that's why.

Also is that supposed to be Sorry? My GotM cover has that WJ image but it's been cropped to cut her out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Isn't she supposed to be like thirteen? That's some artistic license.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Wait, I thought it was supposed to be Anomander Rake but the artist just screwed up the rendition.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Wait, I thought it was supposed to be Anomander Rake but the artist just screwed up the rendition.

Which of the horse, the dude, or the girl did you think was supposed to be a seven foot tall, literally black-skinned, silver-haired not-quite-elf?

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

Habibi posted:

Which of the horse, the dude, or the girl did you think was supposed to be a seven foot tall, literally black-skinned, silver-haired not-quite-elf?

Maybe he really screwed up the rendition.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Habibi posted:

He launches it out of his scabbard like a javelin and catches it on the way down. Because he's loving Whiskeyjack, that's why.

Also is that supposed to be Sorry? My GotM cover has that WJ image but it's been cropped to cut her out.

Adjunct Lorn and Ganoes Paran maybe? The only reason I think Ganoes is due to the prominence of the sword. I can't remember anything about Lorn tbh.

Habibi posted:

I laughed pretty hard at this. I also can't remember Anomander ever riding anything that wasn't a giant floating rock, but if the artist blew it that hard...

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished TCG last week, well on my way into Forge of Darkness. Poor Cuttle. Erikson's ruminations on childhood always do me in.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

anilEhilated posted:

Isn't she supposed to be like thirteen? That's some artistic license.

i think shes supposed to be about 18 but still

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Tommofork posted:

Adjunct Lorn and Ganoes Paran maybe? The only reason I think Ganoes is due to the prominence of the sword. I can't remember anything about Lorn tbh.

Oh, right. I remember thinking originally it might be Ganoes. Not sure why I settled on WJ, but really I feel like he's depicted too old to be one and too young to be the other. Maybe he is supposed to be Anomander. :)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well I just finished Willful Child. A brisk read as they say but hilarious. I loved the captain getting his shirt torn (nearly) every time and then replacing it with some other outfit from the various Starfleet incarnations. Erikson managed to pack in way more Star Trek references than I'd expected, including his name in the font.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Probably my favorite scene out of that book is Hadrian complaining about how going through hyperspace doesn't have any kind of cool visual effect on the bridge's command screen - and solving it by installing that one old Windows screensaver with flying pixels. Haven't laughed that hard in quite a while. I need to reread that book.