Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rei_ posted:

This sounds like hyperbole but I just got out of a fractal where as MCH I had a higher DPS than the tank, dragoon and healer combined

For the minotaur did you have to open all 4 tanks to stop his area wide aoe? That's when you know your DPS is real bad. I've only had that once and was when I had a BLM only use fire/fire 2 and blizzard 3 over and over again without using any post 50+ abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

seiferguy posted:

For the minotaur did you have to open all 4 tanks to stop his area wide aoe? That's when you know your DPS is real bad. I've only had that once and was when I had a BLM only use fire/fire 2 and blizzard 3 over and over again without using any post 50+ abilities.

You can open more than one tank???

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Thundarr posted:

Battered Tank Syndrome. They got mercilessly abused as newbies for spamming Riot Blade, and now they have a pathological fear of the "gain MP back" skill.

Not gonna lie, this actually took some getting used to as a DRK. Though not too long, since threat is so goddamn easy on DRK.

I do still struggle a bit with getting myself to use Goring Blade early in a fight on PLD, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Begemot posted:

You can open more than one tank???

I know this is a joke but technically that fight is a DPS check. If you run out of all tanks the aoe will hit you. It's just that generally you kill the thing between the 1st and 2nd tank usually, and only if your DPS is real bad would this ever be an issue.

Edit: as a PLD it can be pretty hard to get a goring blade in with mobs if I'm dealing with aoe DPS, and generally I'm more or less interested in holding threat. For bosses it's pretty easy to do a rage of halone combo, followed by a goring blade combo then repeat.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 29, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I just saw a guy genuinely say the best way to level 50-60 is to do n than until 55 and then spam dungeons.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Just did a Tam-Tara with a BLM who didn't use transpose at all and would sometimes alternate Fire/Blizzard at full MP.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

I just saw a guy genuinely say the best way to level 50-60 is to do n than until 55 and then spam dungeons.

Well it did used to be.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
50-51 still seems like a hassle.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

This only recently was made wrong. If you had dps queues and no side quests it was technically the best way to roll.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

50-51 still seems like a hassle.

MS, High Level, Leveling roulette plus your daily hunts. Poof level 51.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Iron Tusk posted:

MS, High Level, Leveling roulette plus your daily hunts. Poof level 51.

MSQ seems to give jack poo poo for exp. I just did up to completing Chrysalis and this is my exp bar:

Edit: Started at 2.4 ending

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2015

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Bought a Phial of Fantasia to switch to Dragonboy only to realize I made myself look a bit too much like Orochimaru from Naruto..now I am mad because I didn't go full blown Orochimaru from Naruto for irony. :saddowns:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Obscurity posted:

MSQ seems to give jack poo poo for exp. I just did up to completing Chrysalis and this is my exp bar:

Edit: Started at 2.4 ending

I went through the full MSQ recently from scratch and was level 53.5 once I got into Foundation.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Brannock posted:

I went through the full MSQ recently from scratch and was level 53.5 once I got into Foundation.

Good hopefully it picks up in exp soon for me then. :(

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Obscurity posted:

Good hopefully it picks up in exp soon for me then. :(

If you're just starting 2.55 then there's not many quests left and you're not going to get too much more XP from it.

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Brannock posted:

If you're just starting 2.55 then there's not many quests left and you're not going to get too much more XP from it.

Ahh ok. Yeah I'm on Mask of Grief right now. About to turn it in.

So for someone like me just do DR/Hunts?

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
The main story quests alone are a grand total of 480k EXP, you'll be like level 51 barely from other EXP doing the quests, to be higher then that involves running roulettes every day.

vvvvv Sorry forgot to specify some, it's 480k EXP starting from 2.1. you mentioned starting at 2.4 so yeah you won't be getting nearly as much. Just power on through to Ishgard and the main story starts giving decent EXP again.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 30, 2015

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Axle_Stukov posted:

The main story quests alone are a grand total of 480k EXP, you'll be like level 51 barely from other EXP doing the quests, to be higher then that involves running roulettes every day.

That's half a bar at 50. I'm confused.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Obscurity posted:

That's half a bar at 50. I'm confused.

It's really not important. You're going to get the bulk of your exp from Heavensward MSQ, roulettes, and Heavensward dungeons is what it boils down to.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, I don't see what you're so worried about. Most of us started Heavensward with 0 exp into 50, and it wasn't a big deal.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Plus HW FATES are really rewarding now.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Maybe, but they're spread out which is annoying. I think n than spoiled me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If you have flight it actually takes less to get to fates than in n thanalan given the sheer volume of fates happening in HW areas.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thumbtacks posted:

Maybe, but they're spread out which is annoying. I think n than spoiled me.

N Than may be small but there's also a lot of time spent waiting at the processing plant for FATEs to spawn. In the 3 HW areas that people tend to group in it's almost non stop. You go right from on FATE to another with almost no downtime.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Is most of the population doing HW / done leveling or am I just unlucky? At best I see one or two people doing low level fates, usually I just end up soloing them if I do them. I've spent most of my time in la noscea fwiw, though when I did the anniversary quest (which was loving rad) there were quite a few people doing it

e: also thanks for the dye knowledge manyorcas!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eerkik posted:

Is most of the population doing HW / done leveling or am I just unlucky? At best I see one or two people doing low level fates, usually I just end up soloing them if I do them. I've spent most of my time in la noscea fwiw, though when I did the anniversary quest (which was loving rad) there were quite a few people doing it

People that are going through the game for the first time dont need to do fates and people that are going through them with a second character benefit from double armory boost whiich means they fly through the early levels. You wont see actual groups of people till quarrymill at the earliest. More than likely you"ll see them in costa and coerthas.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

What's the most you'd ever pay for a glamour item?

I paid 1 mil for my Spriggan Cap a long rear end time ago. Only time I have ever paid for a glamour since I usually craft my stuff, like I just finished my hot pink Thavnarian set, so cute!

Edit: VVVV Only thing I have really thrown a ton of gil at was my house, 35m, and crafting mats which I have spent bazillions on whenever I am feeling too lazy to gather.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 30, 2015

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
RMT poking me every day like "Hey, there is a new player, I'll bet he actually has something he wants to spend a million gil on!" It's kind of adorable. It did get me thinking though, it doesn't seem like gil is ever a serious issue in this game, especially compared to FFXI. Other than super rare glamour items, is there anything people spend gil on that hurts their wallet to the point they have to watch it?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I didn't see it mentioned here so some tidbits from the XIV panel at PAX:

-First it's worth mentioning Soken is a pretty funny guy just in general.

-Soken saw a kind of dancing action to a lot of Ravana's actions along with the butterfly and flower aesthetic of a lot of the fight, and took inspiration from that to make the first half of the theme a waltz.

-In original planning, the second themes for Ravana and Bismarck were going to be the existing A4 theme and the A1-3 themes, respectively. Koji Fox wrote lyrics for both themed for the primals (including just inventing a Gnathic language to use with A4 as the musical backing) before being informed that they were actually going to use totally different music for the primals.

-He then wrote lyrics for Ravana's actual theme in draconic, because their singer was going to be Japanese and was worried about the accent. THEN they got a new singer and he wrote the english lyrics. The singer for Ravana is apparently the localization head for XV, as well.

-A1-3 had actual lyrics revolving around Bismarck and flying and whatnot before it was changed to be an Alexander theme. Koji described his process of writing the new alex lyrics as feverishly thinking things up inside his head on packed commuter trains after work, while already putting in 80 hour weeks on the job. This is why the the A1-3 lyrics are a bit, uh, esoteric.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Tay Zonday is FfXV localizer!?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Boten Anna posted:

1) install act, install the ffxiv parser in the thing, when it opens a thing to look for a log file just cancel out of the wizard

2) download this: https://github.com/RainbowMage/OverlayPlugin/releases

3) *IMPORTANT* go to file location, right click, properties, uncheck the protected thing

4) unzip it to program files\advanced blah blah\overlay

5) go to plugins tab and add the overplayplugin.dll in that folder, check enable

6) go to overlayplugin.dll tab for settings, add mini parse, spell timers, or enmity overlay as desired

7) subtabs let you configure the overlays and the URL lets you choose a different html file for the overlay, with different themes. im a fan of miniparseGlowIconGraph.html for mini parse.

:siren: :siren: NEVER GIVE PARSER NUMBERS IN GAME OR EVER EVER BERATE ANYONE'S DPS YOU COULD GET BANNED FOR IT IT HAS HAPPENED BUT NOBODY WILL KNOW IF YOU KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT P.S. GMS CAN AND DO READ FREE COMPANY, LINKSHELL, AND TELL LOGS SO DON'T BE A COY PIECE OF poo poo OR THEY'LL BAN YOU HARDER :siren: :siren:

third party tools are against the rules don't use them

I know it's been a bit, but I'm looking for some help on this, specifically step 5. When I try to add the overplayplugin.dll, I get the attached errors. Is this somehow related to the fact that in Step 4, there was no preexisting Overlay folder, so I had to create one, or that in Step 3 there was no box to uncheck for the protected thing, but instead something about Allowing the file from an outside source to make changes to my computer?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I want whatever dance the Ravana music is supposed to be as a dance emote.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klungar posted:

I know it's been a bit, but I'm looking for some help on this, specifically step 5. When I try to add the overplayplugin.dll, I get the attached errors. Is this somehow related to the fact that in Step 4, there was no preexisting Overlay folder, so I had to create one, or that in Step 3 there was no box to uncheck for the protected thing, but instead something about Allowing the file from an outside source to make changes to my computer?

Create an "addons" folder inside your Overlay folder. It'll be empty, but it needs to be created.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Are there any good vertically striped shorts that roegadames can wear? I am trying to get a glamour together but struggling.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Eerkik posted:

Most of the population that got HW were playing it two weeks before release. Not only are they done leveling, most of them are done with the 60 dungeons, The Fractal Continuum and Neverreap.

Maybe once a day for EXDR but no more, and like anything else tanks are in short supply.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Koji and Soken's wild ride was amazing. Other noteworthy poo poo:

All song lyrics are canon.
There was a sing-along of the A4 song with Soken on electric guitar and Koji on lead vocals.

I got a ticket to the signing event with Soken so I'm pretty pumped.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

sethimothy posted:

RMT poking me every day like "Hey, there is a new player, I'll bet he actually has something he wants to spend a million gil on!" It's kind of adorable. It did get me thinking though, it doesn't seem like gil is ever a serious issue in this game, especially compared to FFXI. Other than super rare glamour items, is there anything people spend gil on that hurts their wallet to the point they have to watch it?

Crafting if you find gathering tedious. And raid food and pots for savage alex. Because square decided to put pots in as turn ins. So they will never be crafted more then one per synthesis and remain stupid expensive.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Koji and Soken's wild ride was amazing. Other noteworthy poo poo:

All song lyrics are canon.
There was a sing-along of the A4 song with Soken on electric guitar and Koji on lead vocals.

I got a ticket to the signing event with Soken so I'm pretty pumped.

Wait what do you mean the lyrics are canon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

warning: this song is canon

• Locked thread