Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
My IMM is from the movie San Andreas. The water in San Francisco Bay is normally a balmy "suck your balls up into your chest" cold. If you're unprepared and get hit with that you are in a very bad way, and yet our plucky protagonists prance around like it's a weekend jaunt in the Florida Keys.

As a local, this pissed me off something fierce.

Edit: and then of course mom's new boyfriend getting crushed as if he deserved it. Seriously, how would you react if your whole world was (literally) coming down around you? I think being in shock and G'ing TFO is natural. After all, he was genuinely trying to get help for Blake before the guy he was talking to got violently crushed right in front of him – really can't fault him for stumbling off in a daze after that.

FreshFeesh has a new favorite as of 03:04 on Aug 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

My rationally irritating moment is from Netflix's Wet Hot American Summer series. The movie was great, as were the first 2 episodes. Starting with episode 3, though, I feel like I'm watching a Wayans Bros."Movie" movie.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

My rationally irritating moment is from Netflix's Wet Hot American Summer series. The movie was great, as were the first 2 episodes. Starting with episode 3, though, I feel like I'm watching a Wayans Bros."Movie" movie.

Are you suggesting The Falcon isn't a serious character?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

The person who said that is completely fucken insane

That "person"? Nice. Just real loving great. May as well give him all the rights of a person as loving well.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

Edit: and then of course mom's new boyfriend getting crushed as if he deserved it. Seriously, how would you react if your whole world was (literally) coming down around you? I think being in shock and G'ing TFO is natural. After all, he was genuinely trying to get help for Blake before the guy he was talking to got violently crushed right in front of him – really can't fault him for stumbling off in a daze after that.

Yeah, this stood out to me too. Like, I can't blame the other characters for being angry at him either, but it's weird the movie expects the audience to approve. It's especially odd cause they could've just had him go full coward-weasel and run for it as soon as he got free of the car, OR crushed him instead of/along with the cop. He doesn't play any role in the rest of the movie, even.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Reminds me of 2012 where the surgeon and that Russian woman are both crushed and drowned out of nowhere, apparently for the sole purpose of stable family relations. It's like, jesus christ, nobody else got it that bad and this is a disaster movie. :psyduck:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He was rich. They played the evil tycoon card. Be happy those rich fucks are dead, cause they have money and they're assholes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He was rich. They played the evil tycoon card. Be happy those rich fucks are dead, cause they have money and they're assholes.

This, but 98% unironically

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A similar thing happened in Jurassic World as well. The character who got the probably most extended and gruesome death scene was some assistant who was earlier shown to be maybe a bit clueless but ultimately well-meaning.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Perestroika posted:

A similar thing happened in Jurassic World as well. The character who got the probably most extended and gruesome death scene was some assistant who was earlier shown to be maybe a bit clueless but ultimately well-meaning.

Seriously, that entire scene was so pointlessly gratuitous. Yeah, she was a bit short with the kids, but to be fair, she's the assistant to someone who owns an island-sized theme park, she's not a baby-sitter.

Then the scene where she's killed goes on for like, an uninterrupted minute and involves 3 or 4 dinosaurs all attacking her separately.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
An important theme in Jurassic World is that women who don't prioritise maternity should suffer a gruesome lizard death, or learn to change their ways via the love of a true Alpha Male

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

RE: Edge of Tomorrow I thought the ending was very sweet and it felt like that film had built up to it very well, it didn't feel pushed or forced. Would have been better if at the Louvre he kissed her instead of the opposite but w/e

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Reminds me of 2012 where the surgeon and that Russian woman are both crushed and drowned out of nowhere, apparently for the sole purpose of stable family relations. It's like, jesus christ, nobody else got it that bad and this is a disaster movie. :psyduck:

The surgeon guy bit was extra gross because he seemed like an actual good guy and was instrumental in keeping everyone alive since he was able to fly planes. But he was dating the main character's ex-wife so he had to go.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Divorce is immoral, illogical and should be illegal.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

Divorce is immoral, illogical and should be illegal.

Jim Bob Duggar spotted.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Every Hollywood scriptwriter and producer must have had an abusive step-dad. Step-parents are always killed for the sole reason of dating a protagonist's wife / mom.

Ant-Man is the only recent movie that sort of breaks the trend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unless the main character is a step parent, in which case the birth parent is evil.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, this stood out to me too. Like, I can't blame the other characters for being angry at him either, but it's weird the movie expects the audience to approve. It's especially odd cause they could've just had him go full coward-weasel and run for it as soon as he got free of the car, OR crushed him instead of/along with the cop. He doesn't play any role in the rest of the movie, even.

I recall him doing a few other things after ditching her. I recall him trying to shove and pull people of of their safe spots, when an aftershock or something came in.

I mean, the whole thing was just felt like it had been stitched together from better and worse disaster movies. Every plot point they picked out was done in the most cliche fashion possible. It was just re-hashed, re-heated poo poo.

What do you do after experiencing something like that? We rebuild.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PicklePants posted:

I mean, the whole thing was just felt like it had been stitched together from better and worse disaster movies. Every plot point they picked out was done in the most cliche fashion possible. It was just re-hashed, re-heated poo poo.

Pretty much. I'm a sucker for trashy disaster movies, though.

Also that long pan of Los Angeles rolling like a goddamn waterbed made up for a lot.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I was annoyed how long it took them to think of using the laser as a signal device because like as soon as they picked it up I was like "good idea, that could be useful in a disaster situation." And not only does it take them forever to think of it they act like it's some amazing revelation when it's like, basically what the drat thing is for.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

I was annoyed how long it took them to think of using the laser as a signal device because like as soon as they picked it up I was like "good idea, that could be useful in a disaster situation." And not only does it take them forever to think of it they act like it's some amazing revelation when it's like, basically what the drat thing is for.

Username post combo goddamn.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

PicklePants posted:

What do you do after experiencing something like that? We rebuild.

Goddamn this. I just saw the movie last night and that moment made me think of this thread. It's not even the line itself, I mean, it's cliche as gently caress but whatever, it's a fun disaster movie so I expected nothing less. What got me was that goddamn smug self satisfied nod afterwards. "Yup, like a million loving people died, but gosh darn it we're Americans, and we're awesome." It seemed so callous. If the line was delivered in a sad way, with a sigh, it would've worked so much better, but no, gotta be a feelgood moment.

e:

Light Gun Man posted:

This, on the other hand, didn't annoy me at all. I can easily imagine even forgetting you have the laser at all in a situation like that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When a rich guy flies a date to another country for dinner. This happened on friends where the guy takes Monica for pizza and says he knows a place and suddenly they're in Rome. It's a goddamn 9 hour flight. What the gently caress kind of surprise dinner is that? Maybe she had a job or didn't want to be kidnapped for nine hours. gently caress off rear end in a top hat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

When a rich guy flies a date to another country for dinner. This happened on friends where the guy takes Monica for pizza and says he knows a place and suddenly they're in Rome. It's a goddamn 9 hour flight. What the gently caress kind of surprise dinner is that? Maybe she had a job or didn't want to be kidnapped for nine hours. gently caress off rear end in a top hat.

Friends was long enough ago that he may have had the money to take a concorde.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Pretty sure Concorde never flew direct between NYC and Rome. So it would still be quite a haul.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Watched some of Mr. Robot, because people won't shut up about it, and kept waiting for an unironic use of "sheeple". I really get irritated by shows like this that act like the protagonists and the antagonists are the only people on the planet that are aware of injustice and everyone else is just too stupid to realize.

Also I'm willing to bet there'll be a twist wherein everything or most of everything is in Elliot's head but I got bored by episode four so who knows. But if it does happen, that plot twist has been played out so much in movies and television that now it's just lazy writing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's being advertised as Fight Club. It's not supposed to be subtle.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm watching Unfriended because I hate myself.
The ghost or whatever sends them a 900kb photo that takes 20 seconds to transfer. It then sends a 1.6MB photo and it transfers instantly.

Edit: gently caress that movie.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Aug 31, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Esroc posted:

Watched some of Mr. Robot, because people won't shut up about it, and kept waiting for an unironic use of "sheeple". I really get irritated by shows like this that act like the protagonists and the antagonists are the only people on the planet that are aware of injustice and everyone else is just too stupid to realize.

Also I'm willing to bet there'll be a twist wherein everything or most of everything is in Elliot's head but I got bored by episode four so who knows. But if it does happen, that plot twist has been played out so much in movies and television that now it's just lazy writing.

It's not a twist, and it's not everything. Basically just Mr Robot himself. And I don't know what you mean by only the main characters being aware of injustice? Elliot kind of thinks that way sometimes, but it's not really suggested that he's right.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inzombiac posted:

The ghost or whatever sends them a 900kb photo that takes 20 seconds to transfer. It then sends a 1.6MB photo and it transfers instantly.

I felt like it would have made a good VHS segment. But it really didn't have a good enough anything to be a full movie.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe they're tethering from their mobile network?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

I felt like it would have made a good VHS segment. But it really didn't have a good enough anything to be a full movie.

The gimmick (it's all done from the Pov of a teenage girl but the movie is hard locked on the laptop screen) is fine and the ending was better than I had expected but...
Litsen, I watch a lot of bad movies. The pacing for this film was torturous. So many drawn own segments of her maybe trying to click a link n I wait she might not no wait let's go back to a spooky creepypasta website now let's have 3 minutes of silence while nothing happens.

Every character is terrible and unlikable. I'm glad they die.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Bad guy at very start of avengers 2 calls the avengers circus freaks. Perhaps don't do that while you've got weirdos in the room, you dork.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

The gimmick (it's all done from the Pov of a teenage girl but the movie is hard locked on the laptop screen) is fine and the ending was better than I had expected but...
Litsen, I watch a lot of bad movies. The pacing for this film was torturous. So many drawn own segments of her maybe trying to click a link n I wait she might not no wait let's go back to a spooky creepypasta website now let's have 3 minutes of silence while nothing happens.

Every character is terrible and unlikable. I'm glad they die.

Phelan?

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Inzombiac posted:

That's exactly how data transfer works from the afterlife, you complete moron.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kizudarake posted:

Username post combo goddamn.

Hahahaha good call.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Light Gun Man posted:

Hahahaha good call.

It was perfect. I'm still chuckling at it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I finally watched Star Trek Into Darkness after hearing Netflix would be losing it and it immediately triggered one of my biggest movie pet peeves - the big climactic action shot at the end was spoiled in the trailers and even the poster for the movie. Also, the way Kirk was stripped of his rank for all of ten minutes was realllly goofy.

Another thing that bugs me is in Rocking the Casbah during the second verse there's that annoying little beepy sound that doesn't jive with the rest of the track. Not a movie but I have it stuck in my head and had to bitch somewhere. :(

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ryoshi posted:

I finally watched Star Trek Into Darkness after hearing Netflix would be losing it and it immediately triggered one of my biggest movie pet peeves - the big climactic action shot at the end was spoiled in the trailers and even the poster for the movie. Also, the way Kirk was stripped of his rank for all of ten minutes was realllly goofy.

Another thing that bugs me is in Rocking the Casbah during the second verse there's that annoying little beepy sound that doesn't jive with the rest of the track. Not a movie but I have it stuck in my head and had to bitch somewhere. :(

Into Darkness is a complete mess of a plot which I imagine was entirely written around the fact that they managed to cast Cumberbatch.

Its really sad too because the first star trek remake film was so spot-on. For just a second it seemed like Star Trek was gonna be a big mainstream franchise, and then... yeah.

I guess it goes back to the old saying about cycling between a good star trek movie and a horrible star trek movie back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'm watching Hannibal for the first time and in the season 1 episode with the Angelmaker the way they found his body was so, so stupid. He tied his own feet, carved out the flesh of his own back and supported the "wings" by wire, also strung himself up 20 - 30 feet above the ground with his arms spread and tied to opposing rafters that were, like, another 20 feet apart. I mean, I've read this thread so I went in with a generous suspension of disbelief, but goddamn. Everybody takes this completely in stride, too. No "wait, maybe he had a partner that strung him up" or anything. Just "welp, that solves that, case closed everybody."