Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

There is something very broken about high tier carriers outside of the usual. See if you can spot it in this image.

Hint they still had some full squadrons left. Of course both me and Durend died to the carriers.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Aug 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, plunging fire works better than straight on fire, at least, in my experiences with St Louises. It has a pretty difficult citadel to hit, but at least you'll be in range to plug it full of AP when its in range of you. Normal penetrations are 3k damage a pop, not a drop in the bucket by a long shot. You'll just get hosed with HE in the meantime, so its best to have allies around to capitalize on your big alpha strike removing a lot of his health.

Something to note when BB'ing. If you are getting 1k damage hits, YOU ARE OVERPENETRATING. Either you are nicking some side armor, or hitting superstructure. If your shots were dead on and you got hosed with dispersion, ok, nothing to do about that, but if your shots are mostly hitting superstructure for overpens, you might want to aim lower and see if it helps. Some shots may splash in the water, but your shells that do land on the deck are more likely to come in at a good angle to avoid overpenning.

If you're overpenetrating at close range... well, I don't know what to say. You're probably shooting a cruiser, so aim for the citadel and hope the citadel has enough armor to slow your shots down. It should. If you think you're overpenetrating the citadel, too, then you can always try to shoot below the waterline for underwater pens, or aim for whatever angled armor you're shown. Close range fights are black magicks and voodoo sorcery, tough it out.

A question actually. Is there any place that actually shows or talks about the penetration numbers of each gun and the armor of each ship? I've never seen anything for numbers or even anything solid for numerical game mechanics outside of "try not to overpenetrate or bounce shots, and go for the citadel"

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Rorac posted:

A question actually. Is there any place that actually shows or talks about the penetration numbers of each gun and the armor of each ship? I've never seen anything for numbers or even anything solid for numerical game mechanics outside of "try not to overpenetrate or bounce shots, and go for the citadel"

HE can penetrate half its caliber (from WG itself), not sure about AP.
Armor values can be found on the botes wiki, but it probably won't help too much without a visualization, and that 3d site with armor layouts makes you pay to see above T6.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Rorac posted:

Not really, Armor thickness used to be a value ingame (I think it'll be readded next patch). Shells bounce at angles of 30< degrees and... I have the page saved with a lot of good info regarding it.
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18034-basics-damage-mechanics/

inkwell
Dec 9, 2005
This pax bingo is frustrating. Got 8 of them done, left with "EARL" plus another e.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

inkwell posted:

This pax bingo is frustrating.

That is to put it mildly. I was killing ships left and right but not the letters I needed.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh god I got swarmed yesterday or so and I got quite salty and stopped playing.

Now I realize.

What a :wargaming: way to troll people.

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011
My name starts with m and has an x in it. Only way it could be worse is if it started with a or e.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh god I got swarmed yesterday or so and I got quite salty and stopped playing.

Now I realize.

What a :wargaming: way to troll people.

Right now all I need are 3 As and 2 Es - do they accept killing yourself as part of this? My in-game name is Evolvate, so if I did that twice I'd only need the As.

Frankly the whole thing is starting to piss me off - I was in a number of matches yesterday where I just pounded the poo poo out of enemy ships with the letter I needed and got him down 95%, then some fucker shoots a second before me and gets the kill. So annoying.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

So...is there anything saying you can't use the same screenshot for each A and each E? Or is everyone just assuming you can't do that?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Devorum posted:

So...is there anything saying you can't use the same screenshot for each A and each E? Or is everyone just assuming you can't do that?

I only have a single E to go and like a week to get it, so I'm just erring on the safe side. Plus, it's kinda hilarious to go hell-for-leather to assassinate players for their names.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Clan chat for the goon that asked in an earlier post.

SEAMN was a personal troll joke that took off. PANSY, Allah bless them, is primarily tank dudes with little interest in botes although we probably have a good few in the clan now that are fed up and wanted out of tanks.

PANSY has been full for a while albeit not active and probably the vast majority don't play anymore. I could have reached out to Adam about a possible name change for a crossover but then that would have caused confusion plus we were still dealing with them being at capacity and leaving out goons who wanted in. We sit at 99 plus the slot for Sporks if they ever unfuck his account so that's not bad considering it took just a few weeks. I am hoping when clans are a thing in botes and we can ravage the two seas pillaging other seamen filling them with our hot loads and special brand of love it will be in a better place. I've already considered reaching out to some of the goons I see as regulars if they are interested in cat herding positions later. If you are a regular sperg with decent cat herding skills and want to jump into an expanded role hoping to be your own desk chair commodore pm me with your terrible ideas. We won't hold anyone to participate but I am sure there are goons who would be looking forward to it..

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I would love to see ANY A or E in my matches. Thus far I see maybe one vowel every 3-4 matches (except for myself), and every time someone else gets the kill. I've pretty much given up on it at this point.

**EDIT**

Just saw that you need to have a different screenshot for every letter, so three A kills, two E kills, etc.

quote:

You cannot use the same player for instances of the same letter: for instance, you need to take out THREE players whose names begin with "A".

Daylen Drazzi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 30, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I would love to see ANY A or E in my matches. Thus far I see maybe one vowel every 3-4 matches (except for myself), and every time someone else gets the kill. I've pretty much given up on it at this point.

You can get As in Bot matches.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Let's run low tiers today and sync drop to see if we can get on opposite sides? My FOGSomaliPirate_Dinghy account would work.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

demonR6 posted:

Clan chat for the goon that asked in an earlier post.

SEAMN was a personal troll joke that took off. PANSY, Allah bless them, is primarily tank dudes with little interest in botes although we probably have a good few in the clan now that are fed up and wanted out of tanks.

PANSY has been full for a while albeit not active and probably the vast majority don't play anymore. I could have reached out to Adam about a possible name change for a crossover but then that would have caused confusion plus we were still dealing with them being at capacity and leaving out goons who wanted in. We sit at 99 plus the slot for Sporks if they ever unfuck his account so that's not bad considering it took just a few weeks. I am hoping when clans are a thing in botes and we can ravage the two seas pillaging other seamen filling them with our hot loads and special brand of love it will be in a better place. I've already considered reaching out to some of the goons I see as regulars if they are interested in cat herding positions later. If you are a regular sperg with decent cat herding skills and want to jump into an expanded role hoping to be your own desk chair commodore pm me with your terrible ideas. We won't hold anyone to participate but I am sure there are goons who would be looking forward to it..

what about Boatse

Is that what 2PAC is forming when boats goes real?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

wdarkk posted:

^^^ Timg that.

Anyone have a good video for the Nagato brawling? I can't seem to find a video that isn't bad or just sniping.

Watch me brawl a Fuso and Colorado at the same time at the end of this one.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I have a feeling they won't be checking very hard because :effort:. I'm going to throw a bunch of screen shots in and see if I get something. I have a business trip tomorrow so I don't think I will be able to finish.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I love Japanese battleships.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

DurosKlav posted:

There is something very broken about high tier carriers outside of the usual. See if you can spot it in this image.

Hint they still had some full squadrons left. Of course both me and Durend died to the carriers.
Wow, your Hakuryu shot down 73 and the rest of your team another 100+. I think high tier carrier play would benefit from a few less planes - they just have so many squads that suicide attacks are perfectly viable.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

cheese posted:

Wow, your Hakuryu shot down 73 and the rest of your team another 100+. I think high tier carrier play would benefit from a few less planes - they just have so many squads that suicide attacks are perfectly viable.

It's been mentioned before, but anyone thinking you can run a Midway out of planes is delusional. It carries 136 planes all by itself, over 1/3 more than the Hakuryu. The Essex carries another 90, meaning those two carriers had over 220 planes between them. That said, at least one of them was operating on reduced squads at the end, as they merely had 41 planes left between them. Assuming they both had full strike loadouts that means each should have an active wing of 30 planes, or 33 if they've got the level 5 skill.

edit: Actually, they probably had a few more left since some of those kills are going to be scout planes. Still, I don't think I typically see games with 20+ scout plane kills, so statement still holds.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 30, 2015

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
Any advice for playing a DD on Two Brothers?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I've got the Myogi fully upgraded now, and I am still poo poo in it.

Like, sure, I can shoot out to 20k with the plane up but theres no kind of accuracy. ever. Even up close it's all over the place, in a way that feels so much worse than the South Carolina and Wyoming. AND it's got fewer guns so that just compounds the issue.

As long as it's at the top of the tiers it *can* kite BB's and hold range on CA's, but christ this thing is a real drag. I had to do 6 battles last night before I got the daily double. Seriously considering giving up on it and all other IJN BB's and CV's. I do enjoy the IJN CA's and DD's. I really don't want to drop the free xp to jump past tier 3.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

With the Myogi, you need to use the speed to get close and keep your front pointed roughly at the enemy BB until after he's fired, then turn a bit to get all guns on him and return fire before facing front again to tank his shots. At close range, the enormous range turns the dispersion lower and makes the guns more accurate and the speed can definitely make a difference. It's not a good ship, but it becomes workable. The long range is for opportunity attacks, basically, while a BB tends to deliver its killing attacks from relatively close.

The Kongo is basically a Myogi with all the things you hated gone.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

cheese posted:

Aren't they increasing the hangar cap on carriers next patch? At higher tiers it seems like it'd actually be more efficient to just suicide your squads rather than having them return to rearm - you won't run out of planes either way and it means you can relaunch faster, with the bonus that your planes won't point the enemy team to your parking spot.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Warbadger posted:

Aren't they increasing the hangar cap on carriers next patch? At higher tiers it seems like it'd actually be more efficient to just suicide your squads rather than having them return to rearm - you won't run out of planes either way and it means you can relaunch faster, with the bonus that your planes won't point the enemy team to your parking spot.
They need to change that. Increase rearm time by X seconds for each plane that got lost in the squad. Then throwing your planes away for a perfect target vs taking out a less important but less dangerous target for a faster rearm would be a real decision to make. It should not be faster to just suicide the the last plane or two in your squad instead of flying them back.

Also, right now, all that really matters at high tiers is how many TBs you can shoot down before they drop, which in turn means that your long range aura AA dps is king. No one cares if your Des Moines can shred a bunch of planes when they get to 2km because they have already fired their torps.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
So far today I have three wins, three draws, and one loss in my Myoko. Something needs to change in how they measure wins because high level battles seem to be 30% draws or more.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Looks like they may have changed the rules a bit - apparently you now have until Thursday to complete PAX MARBLEHEAD, and when I just checked the forum post the part about requiring each letter be a unique kill was not there, although it was still in the news post. Not sure how that's going to play out, but at this point I at least have 1 of every letter, and if I want to be completely upstanding then I just need to get two more As and one E.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, just finished up my last letter, which was a "P". Though weirdly enough my "H" and "X" kills are the same person, just in different battles. If I find another "X" I'll probably replace my current one, but might as well get everything up now.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
I am down to just an X two E and a D. As a note Dunkerque is the rarest of bot names.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Is Marblehead even worth grinding for? I have a Murmansk and Atago, and Marblehead looks like another Omaha variation?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Velius posted:

Is Marblehead even worth grinding for? I have a Murmansk and Atago, and Marblehead looks like another Omaha variation?

Its a free ship. So a free port slot, plus 500,000 credits and whatever its worth when you sell it. Plus a chance to win some premium. Free is always good.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 30, 2015

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I hate to be "that guy" but at the moment CV's are horseshit.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Velius posted:

It gives you a good cruiser to train American crews in. I'm hoping they'll add in focused training or whatever where you give up xp in exchange for more crew xp at some point but even now premiums are good for retraining crews.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

El Scotch posted:

I hate to be "that guy" but at the moment CV's are horseshit.

This is not being 'that guy', this is being normal.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Man I feel bad when I can't even kill a destroyer in a Cleveland. I'm awful at this game. :( They just dodge so well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Whenever I drive my Cleveland, every single enemy I encounter drops everything to kill me over any other target.

It's kind of hilarious.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Night10194 posted:

Whenever I drive my Cleveland, every single enemy I encounter drops everything to kill me over any other target.

It's kind of hilarious.

To be fair, this entire weekend feels like WORLD OF CLEVELANDS.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I'm down to 2 A's and an E and now I can't find either... :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Artificer posted:

Man I feel bad when I can't even kill a destroyer in a Cleveland. I'm awful at this game. :( They just dodge so well.
Use sequential firing and move your aim around. It only takes one solid shot to disable the engine or rudder.