Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Monastic cells have more furniture in them than that. Are they in some sort of hellish prison?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

That's pretty standard for freshman dorms. Two beds, a desk or two, and the bathrooms are communal, so there's no extra door for that.

A window might be nice, but that could be in the foreground.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lots of American college dorms are in fact worse-appointed than European prisons.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Where do they put their stuff?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
^^^^ Good point. They do have closets, too. Holbrook just chose not to illustrate that I guess. ^^^^

goatface posted:

Monastic cells have more furniture in them than that. Are they in some sort of hellish prison?

I moved my daughter into her dorm last week, and yeah, they're pretty much like that. Funnily, one of her brother's friends assumed she was going to their university because the picture I took showed a freshman dorm room exactly like theirs. Apparently all freshman dorms are designed by one person, and made of the same materials -- cinder block walls, linoleum floors, steam heat, and one window.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I never understood this thing you guys have about having complete strangers share a tight space come tertiary education time. Even in the shittiest dorm over here you have your own room. You may share the kitchen and toilets with the whole floor but by god you have your room.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

My Lovely Horse posted:

I never understood this thing you guys have about having complete strangers share a tight space come tertiary education time. Even in the shittiest dorm over here you have your own room. You may share the kitchen and toilets with the whole floor but by god you have your room.

It's a way to keep costs down for students. That's why American colleges are only $10,000 a year instead of the outlandish European prices.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Phantom

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Pros & Cons

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set does higher math.

Working Daze is yesterday's still.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix runs out of room.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A bottle of this 1869 vintage would buy a house in many cities. What an ostentatious display of wealth, so unlike my simple cave in the jungle and the hundreds of legendary historic relics kept therein.

CommaToes posted:

It's a way to keep costs down for students. That's why American colleges are only $10,000 a year instead of the outlandish European prices.
I may be falling for a :thejoke: but while I don't have the numbers ready I guarantee you going to university is not remotely $10,000 a year here. Not even because of the exchange rate.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I may be falling for a :thejoke: but while I don't have the numbers ready I guarantee you going to university is not remotely $10,000 a year here. Not even because of the exchange rate.

Yes, you are.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
EDIT: :argh:

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, it's in fact basically free in a lot of places.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts (September 1, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

From any character other than Les Moore...well, this would still be self-indulgent twaddle. But who's passing through? You're teaching in the school you grew up in, and every time you're given a chance to pass, you don't go through.

Ah, screw it...

Pogo (June 27, 1965)

Out Our Way (October 24-25, 1927)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Devil is so sick of the Phantom's monologuing.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Outland

Ripley's

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.

Green Intern posted:

Devil is so sick of the Phantom's monologuing.

That second-to-last panel is about the first time I've ever seen Devil look like a wolf instead of a nondescript dog breed, too. They usually don't go in for detailed drawings of him.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Three (March 9-11, 1953)

Schultz later modeled Lucy's personality on his first wife, who he hated.

ZeeToo posted:

Pros & Cons

I don't get it?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Parahexavoctal posted:

I don't get it?
The apartment is so small they managed to search everything in 30 seconds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kennel posted:

The apartment is so small they managed to search everything in 30 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXVN7QJ8m88 :v:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Phantom Classic

Sure they're shanghaied prisoners being forced to crew a ship, but at least they still are provided and get to wear the kicky little sailor hats. It's the law of the sea.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Uh oh! She's taking all the sheets!

Rex Morgan MD

"I didn't know they were back, but I did just give their new driver a security badge last week. One would think I could put two and two together and know that their return was imminent, but I'm an idiot."

Apartment 3-G

In the apartment, then on the street, then apparently on the street based on the blue background, then kind of both in the last panel?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I swear to god, has anybody checked on Bolle in the recent months because I feel like I'm having a stroke each time A3G is posted.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

I swear to god, has anybody checked on Bolle in the recent months because I feel like I'm having a stroke each time A3G is posted.

They check on the apartment, finding a skeleton that's been untouched for years, maybe decades.

The next morning another new comic shows up, as always.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ghostlight posted:

It feels like something that was translated from Polish or Russian.

"Nurse Dawkins has let me free."

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

You can blame it on bad art, but I choose to believe panel 3 is depicting an actual parking job by one of the senile old residents of the condo.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

It feels like something that was translated from Polish or Russian.

"Nurse Dawkins has let me free."

It's even worse than late period Locher at this point.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Uh oh! She's taking all the sheets!

"I might have implied that my needs are more important than hers..."

Gee, you think so?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

MJ is wearing actual bikini bottoms today instead of the weird-rear end 90's bicycle shorts she's been wearing this week, which sort of reinforces something I was thinking, but did not actually post. I feel like she was always supposed to be in a bikini like a normal (hot) person would be, but the censors thought the raw sexiness might destroy some child or old person's delicate mind and made the artist cover her up. Presumably it's ok for MJ to have a bikini bottom on Sunday because anybody who would normally be offended is too busy attending church to read the funnies.

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Aww. :)

Prince Valiant

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Just wondering. Anyone knew that there's an animated short based on The Wizard of Id? It was produced by Chuck Jones (yes, that Chuck Jones), and they got Paul Winchell to voice the King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aIBWM24ZCQ

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Classic Dilbert

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Wally

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I do love Wally.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

what a mysterious comic...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

His Divine Shadow posted:

I do love Wally.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Get fuuuuuuuuuucked

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

I would have to agree. It looks pretty ragged.

9 Chickweed Lane 8/31/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

Well the UK are on Bank Holiday so no Nemi.

Mark Trail

Large? Really? That's the yacht version of a loving Imperial Star Destroyer right there. You would've seen it a hundred miles away.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

It can't have been Batiuk's intention for me to believe that Les has dead blonde teenagers stacked like cordwood in a storage locker somewhere, but that's my takeaway from this.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mister Beeg posted:

Just wondering. Anyone knew that there's an animated short based on The Wizard of Id? It was produced by Chuck Jones (yes, that Chuck Jones), and they got Paul Winchell to voice the King.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aIBWM24ZCQ
Cool, thanks for posting that. It wasn't very good but it's interesting to have seen it nonetheless. My dad has a lot of the old comic pocket books of the Wizard of Id (also old BC) and I partially grew up reading them, after I learned to read english. :)

The book of Wally says nothing about going to the stars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeWJYn6eJ5o

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set starts off the week gross.

Working Daze updated late yesterday, but a joke this finely crafted takes time.

Today's would barely qualify as a Dilbert strip.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix needs a new sidekick.

• Locked thread