Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Linedance posted:

Isn't it just a van with an olive paint job and rims? Or is there something more to it?

It may very well be just that, I don't care. That is still 100% my jam. I love how it looks :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Linedance posted:

Isn't it just a van with an olive paint job and rims? Or is there something more to it?

e- don't get me wrong, it wears the colour well, but you could totally daily drive the poo poo out of it by just buying a van, getting it painted, and picking up some wheels from Craigslist.

Sounds right, there's no way to tell about the good stuff, but I think when most people with this sort of interest see something tastefully done we assume it's modded just as tastefully. Like seeing an integra with m3 vents, a huge fartcannon and a park bench wing, I automatically assume it's got a dryer hose cold air intake, a red manifold with flaking paint and cut springs. But when something is done well outside, the possibilities are endless under the hood as they took care to do the exterior, why not the engine?

Either way, modded or not I'd rock the poo poo out of a tastefully lowered van.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Linedance posted:

e- don't get me wrong, it wears the colour well, but you could totally daily drive the poo poo out of it by just buying a van, getting it painted, and picking up some wheels from Craigslist.

T1g4h posted:

It may very well be just that, I don't care. That is still 100% my jam. I love how it looks :v:

https://omgpancakes.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/dajiban/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-j29ozp_yM

It's apparently a trend (was a trend?) in japan called "dajiban" - Dodge Van. They take full sized Dodge vans and slam them down on some ridiculous suspension setups and stuff huge engines in them, then go racing. Crazy stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TzVpmDAqSA

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or an SRT-4 powered 4x4 caravan, that'd own bones.

DAJIBAAAAAN!

Need some oil coolers, but hell yeah.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

For you Minican guys theres this 1000hp Honda Odyssey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRj0wa_opc

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

SaNChEzZ posted:

Or an SRT-4 powered 4x4 caravan, that'd own bones.

They race these in Japan.
D-VAN class yo!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-j29ozp_yM

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

For you Minican guys theres this 1000hp Honda Odyssey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivRj0wa_opc

Didn't Top Gear US borrow this van and stick Rut behind the wheel?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Abe Froman posted:

Could be worse. Could be three PT Cruisers.

Confirmed, Parkour is the PT Cruiser of sports (3:19):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcU8rhpXd8c

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Can't find a news article to support this anymore, but I remember a year or two back here in Wisconsin all the local news stations had a piece on a guy the state troopers pulled over who was going 100+ on the interstate on the wrong side of the road who ended up blowing a little over 3.0 at the station. No idea whether he survived. It's possible I'm just faulty-memorying a local tall tale into a real event, but it's 'sconsin and I can totally buy into the idea of a guy downing a couple 30-packs at a tailgate and getting on the road.

In Wisconsin... we call that tuesday night. I can't count the times I've read about people getting popped for their 11th or 12th DUI.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Confirmed, Parkour is the PT Cruiser of sports (3:19):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcU8rhpXd8c

i will take any excuse to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBf3Y0m2hpk

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Dr.Smasher posted:

In Wisconsin... we call that tuesday night. I can't count the times I've read about people getting popped for their 11th or 12th DUI.

Yep. I had a friend give me a right home once (she was my DD) only to have her go, oh hold on hand me that. And that was a blower coming out of her dash that I didn't see.

Those things are scary, btw. You have to blow once every 2 minutes and it takes about 10 seconds of full-blast lung capacity to register. If you don't blow, it cuts your engine. I'm amazed people don't black out from blowing that hard that much or get into crashes when their cars suddenly stop running.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't Top Gear US borrow this van and stick Rut behind the wheel?

Yeah but they didn't do much with it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
These are the people you share your interest in cars with

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My favourite eyelash car is still the Tacoma I saw with both truck nuts and hot pink eyelashes.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

It's a DRAG truck :haw:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
A peaceful city sidewalk outside my apartment in Berkeley...

Nothing was broken or damaged, it was just sitting there.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Eat the Doritos

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Yep. I had a friend give me a right home once (she was my DD) only to have her go, oh hold on hand me that. And that was a blower coming out of her dash that I didn't see.

Those things are scary, btw. You have to blow once every 2 minutes and it takes about 10 seconds of full-blast lung capacity to register. If you don't blow, it cuts your engine. I'm amazed people don't black out from blowing that hard that much or get into crashes when their cars suddenly stop running.

It's even more interesting with a manual transmission, because that thing will beep while you're trying to shift

My brother in law had an interlock device in his car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go north

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Managed to snag a pic of this the other day:

Yes, a Sky with a fullsize spare.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:catstare:
What the gently caress?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lung powered supercharger with compressed ethanol vapour injection.
Get smashed then blow into your car for moreeeee powwwerrrrrrrrr

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Bajaha posted:

It's a DRAG truck :haw:

:doh: Ugh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Previa_fun posted:

:catstare:
What the gently caress?

Usually ordered by the court to be installed depending on how many DUIs you've had. If it registers any alcohol on your breath, it won't let the car start, and it also logs the event.

Though I thought they were usually every 10-15 minutes...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Usually ordered by the court to be installed depending on how many DUIs you've had. If it registers any alcohol on your breath, it won't let the car start, and it also logs the event.

Though I thought they were usually every 10-15 minutes...

The new ones have all sorts of pressure sensors as well so you can't have your passenger blowing while you're driving.

Heh.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Can we agree that making someone blow into a lovely little device 10 times on a 20 minute car ride is maybe a little bit excessive, though? I know ignition interlocks were a thing, I thought they were just for starting the car though. I know the justification is probably "the kids" and "Mothers Against Any Alcohol Ever in Any Context" though. :v:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

No, i sedan you just unbolt the motor mounts and rotate the engine forward.

A W-body GM requires this.

An H-body, on the other hand, has just enough space to reach back there with a socket. Don't ask me how I know this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

you can't have your passenger blowing while you're driving.

You just took so much of the fun out of driving for me. :sigh:

Previa_fun posted:

Can we agree that making someone blow into a lovely little device 10 times on a 20 minute car ride is maybe a little bit excessive, though? I know ignition interlocks were a thing, I thought they were just for starting the car though. I know the justification is probably "the kids" and "Mothers Against Any Alcohol Ever in Any Context" though. :v:

All of the ones I've seen require regular blowing, but it's generally every 10-15 minutes, and they're sometimes hooked into the VSS so they only require it while stopped. I'm sure they can be programmed for 2 minutes, but that's seriously (a) excessive and (b) a traffic hazard. I mean, if I'm having to give my car a blowjob while driving, I'm going to be pretty distracted for the 10-20 seconds it takes to finish.

Those things are seriously expensive too, and generally require a monthly monitoring fee. Not to mention all of the hack and slash wiring the installers do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I found something worse than a bentley grille on a chrysler 300..... :(

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Powershift posted:

:monocle:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powershift posted:

Why.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powershift posted:

It sold for £20,000.

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C410921

:stare:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A peaceful city sidewalk outside my apartment in Berkeley...

Nothing was broken or damaged, it was just sitting there.
It's clearly opened already.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

You just took so much of the fun out of driving for me. :sigh:

All of the ones I've seen require regular blowing, but it's generally every 10-15 minutes, and they're sometimes hooked into the VSS so they only require it while stopped. I'm sure they can be programmed for 2 minutes, but that's seriously (a) excessive and (b) a traffic hazard. I mean, if I'm having to give my car a blowjob while driving, I'm going to be pretty distracted for the 10-20 seconds it takes to finish.

Those things are seriously expensive too, and generally require a monthly monitoring fee. Not to mention all of the hack and slash wiring the installers do.

They are normally 10-15 minutes regardless of vehicle speed or state other than ignition being set to ON. 2 minutes is pretty bad. There are different types depending on the company they are from. Some require some hefty airflow, some require you to hum while blowing. Price is generally in the $100 a month range but can be a touch cheaper if you pay up front for whatever window you got hit with (typically 6 months or a year). Most have a "countdown" time that lines up with the monthly bill. When the timer runs out you have to go to the service center to have the timer reset. During that time they pull the records from the unit and send it to the MVD/DVM/court. They have a warm up period when turned on for the first time (like overnight or whatever) that typically lasts 2-5 minutes. 20+ minutes if you left the unit in your car while in winter (the harness has a quick disconnect port that looks like an old PS2 port). The units also hate excessive heat and will straight up not work if you left it in the car while its summer or you have a long drive in a car with no A/C. So in the winter time you're cupping the unit in your hands blowing on the casing to get it to warm up. In the summer you're standing in a gas station trying to cool it down because you spent to long grocery shopping.

When I had mine (yes, I made some dumb choices and paid for them dearly) I did a lot of research on shops (in Arizona the interlock shops are independently run) and found one that seemed like they did a decent job with installation and didn't murder my ignition harness. Research also steered me away from shops that used units that required you to hum as they tend to be way pickier about clean test results. Using them is while driving is one of the worst driving experiences of my life and I'm not even referring to the inherent shame of using one. If the cable is long enough it's bunched up in the foot well. If it's not long enough you run the risk of accidentally disconnecting it because you're dipping your head down below the dash and putting stress on the cable while testing which results in "suspicious activity" if the cable pops off, an immediate suspension, fines, etc unless your appeal goes through. This happened to me once on the freeway at 65mph+ and it was terrifying. During a rolling retest you generally have between 30 and 60 seconds to test or you get an infraction. When it happens at really inopportune moments you're scrambling to do very dangerous multitasking like navigating an intersection after a fresh green light, a busy parking lot etc in addition to driving a manual car. Even my installer made a remark: "Manual? Good luck, dude." The icing on the cake? Drug DUI's require alcohol interlocks.

The sheer terror of playing vehicular Jack-In-The-Box vastly outweighed what the unit was actually designed to do in theory.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

So while a good idea in theory, in execution the device does nothing for safety and essentially works as a revenue generator for the state. Somehow I'm not surprised.

Despite the avatar, I'm not arguing in favor of drunk driving, I just had no idea how excessively invasive ignition interlocks were. Holy poo poo.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A guy I know has one in his car and he has to stop drinking at like 9pm every night because he has to leave for work at 7am and even though he's not even feeling buzzed at 10pm the .004 or whatever residuals in the morning are enough to not allow him to start his car.

Clearly the solution to people with alcohol problems is to make them lose their jobs because they had 3 beers the night before.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Ether Frenzy posted:

A guy I know has one in his car and he has to stop drinking at like 9pm every night because he has to leave for work at 7am and even though he's not even feeling buzzed at 10pm the .004 or whatever residuals in the morning are enough to not allow him to start his car.

Clearly the solution to people with alcohol problems is to make them lose their jobs because they had 3 beers the night before.
Or they can stop drinking beers, imagine that

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nitrox posted:

Or they can stop drinking beers, imagine that

What? Impossible! Obviously drinking beers the night before work when they know that doing so will endanger their employment is entirely beyond their control. Kind of like smoking weed in the days leading up to a drug test for a job is something that simply can't be avoided. It's a miracle anyone has a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Someone up top said that if you fail a rolling retest it will cut the engine. It will not do that. It will, however, prevent the car from being started again requiring you to get the unit unlocked at the service center. I had a lot of failed rolling retests in the beginning because I did not have the lung capacity to do it from smoking so heavily for so long.