Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

End of Life Guy posted:

So, if I was some kind of idiot that wanted 25x of each art of each basic, would I need to buy 8 fat packs?
There's 25 different arts and 80 lands in a fat pack, right? so 80/25 is 3 and some change, 8x3 is 24 and the left overs and packs should get me the rest of the way there I think?

I mean, 8 fat packs is a lot to spend chasing basic lands, but what else am I doing with all this money that I hide from my wife?

You'll probably be able to get singles (lots of singles) of the lands as well, either through Pucatrade or large retailers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

End of Life Guy posted:

So, if I was some kind of idiot that wanted 25x of each art of each basic, would I need to buy 8 fat packs?
There's 25 different arts and 80 lands in a fat pack, right? so 80/25 is 3 and some change, 8x3 is 24 and the left overs and packs should get me the rest of the way there I think?

I mean, 8 fat packs is a lot to spend chasing basic lands, but what else am I doing with all this money that I hide from my wife?

I think it would be a lot cheaper to go to your LGS and buy them as singles. If there's a full-art basic in every booster they can't be that expensive each.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really digging the Dutch angles on these new mountains - it's a pretty simple and effective way of creating a sense of strange majesty, of poo poo getting real in a somewhat unsettling way. They're Michael Bay lands.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

qbert posted:

I think it would be a lot cheaper to go to your LGS and buy them as singles. If there's a full-art basic in every booster they can't be that expensive each.

Currently full arts are like $1 each? Staying at that price seems like it would ramp EV of a pack past $4 I'd think, since most of them tend to hover around 2-3?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Count Bleck posted:

Best Mountain returns!

John Avon might have fantastic average quality, but Veronique Meignaud's basics are my favorite cycle of all time :colbert:

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Seth Manfield, #1 seed at the World Championships, just -2 Nissa, killing it, while he already had a token on the battlefield.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Return to the Homelands.

Maybe Baron Sengir is up to something...?

Also more lovely cards.
Second set is Risen Empires, with a hymn reprint.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Gensuki posted:

Currently full arts are like $1 each? Staying at that price seems like it would ramp EV of a pack past $4 I'd think, since most of them tend to hover around 2-3?

You're talking about Zendikar full-arts which is a really old set whose boosters are no longer being opened. BFZ is going to be opened like crazy, don't expect those full-arts to be anywhere near $1 each.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Making fun of someone just because of their voice is kinda lovely, hth. Maro is a bit of a goofball, but his high energy and ability to communicate pretty well make him a good ambassador for the game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

whydirt posted:

Making fun of someone just because of their voice is kinda lovely, hth. Maro is a bit of a goofball, but his high energy and ability to communicate pretty well make him a good ambassador for the game.

What ways do you feel are okay to make fun of someone.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Each basic land art will be opened once in every 25 packs, which is about the same as your chances of opening a particular uncommon (4% vs 3.75%), so maybe they could be of similar value to large set uncommons. Then again you will also be able to buy a big box that comes with a whole pile of lands so.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Each basic land art will be opened once in every 25 packs, which is about the same as your chances of opening a particular uncommon (4% vs 3.75%), so maybe they could be of similar value to large set uncommons. Then again you will also be able to buy a big box that comes with a whole pile of lands so.

Every Fat Pack opened also introduces 4 copies of each art into the wild.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Since the full art basics will be in fat packs, I expect them to be worth very, very little. Maybe five to ten cents each until the set is long out of print.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Mercury Crusader posted:

Return to the Homelands.

Maybe Baron Sengir is up to something...?

Also more lovely cards.

We already went back to the gothic horror vampire plane, they just did it better this time and renamed it Innistrad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Since the full art basics will be in fat packs, I expect them to be worth very, very little. Maybe five to ten cents each until the set is long out of print.

Good. Plentiful pretty full-arts for everyone!

The foil ones will be money though.

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Get it right, guys. MaRo sounds like Daffy Duck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

What ways do you feel are okay to make fun of someone.

When they suggest that a card will change rarity for no reason

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Regular art basics would be worth a lot if people realized what an amazingly obnoxious thing they are to like and have.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

qbert posted:

Seth Manfield, #1 seed at the World Championships, just -2 Nissa, killing it, while he already had a token on the battlefield.
Seth Badfield.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Mark Rosewater sounds like Wallace Shawn if Wallace Shawn were an excitable high school English teacher, and I love him for it.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

whydirt posted:

i don't think anyone was making fun of him though? my point was that i will avoid pretty much any MTG stuff that involves him speaking, because i find him grating. other people seem to agree. i agree that high energy and good communication skills would make someone a great ambassador, but his voice and mannerisms make his energy seem excited in a manic, unpleasant way and not excited in a way that is happily contagious. i think that if they wanted to they could find better spokespeople than MaRo, who i actually have a ton of respect for, and wil wheaton, who i think should be put in a rocket and fired into space never to be seen nor heard from again.

of course i don't think wotc cares about doing a good job with anything that isn't the actual cards, because i can't think of a single instance of anything they've really done well other than actually continuing to make the game.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Mark Rosewater is probably the single most important reason why I can open magic packs today twenty years after my first ice age packs. so he is ok in my book.

Also, I have never heard him speak, I'll probably keep it that way.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
When do spoilers proper start for BFZ?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I plan to keep every full art basic land I open, I figure in about 3-4 years they will be worth at least 50 cents or a dollar each.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dragon enthusiast posted:

When do spoilers proper start for BFZ?

September 7th.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I like the Zendikar take on Ravnica lands.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oh my god that's gorgeous

Also I get why people don't like listening to MaRo, but I personally have enough experience with less-than-ideal voices that it doesn't bother me much. Comes with working at a university with a lot of international students, I guess.

E: Oh my god at the WC the semis are an abzan mirror and the finals are also an abzan mirror.

I desperately hope development doesn't think this is a good thing.

Jen X fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Aug 30, 2015

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

:syoon:

I imagine they're all gonna be beautiful. And if I, by some miracle, pull any of them it'll probably be this one. Just my luck with Shocks since the only ones I've pulled are a pair of these and a Stomping Grounds. I'll obviously immediately sleeve it up and trade away one of my RTR ones.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I'm very curious what a Zendikar Godless Shrine would look like

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Neat earlier version of Origins Gideon. Ultimate of Static Orb emblem+tap down D:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

GeneX posted:

Oh my god that's gorgeous

Also I get why people don't like listening to MaRo, but I personally have enough experience with less-than-ideal voices that it doesn't bother me much. Comes with working at a university with a lot of international students, I guess.

E: Oh my god at the WC the semis are an abzan mirror and the finals are also an abzan mirror.

I would hope they have enough sense to ignore the incestuous meta of Worlds like everyone else does.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cernunnos posted:

:syoon:

I imagine they're all gonna be beautiful. And if I, by some miracle, pull any of them it'll probably be this one. Just my luck with Shocks since the only ones I've pulled are a pair of these and a Stomping Grounds. I'll obviously immediately sleeve it up and trade away one of my RTR ones.
My luck with dual lands of any stripe is that I will only ever open the UW one (and when it's enemy colors only, UG). If they made packs that were guaranteed to be 100% shocks & fetches I would get the mispack filled with nothing but hallowed fountain and flooded strand.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GeneX posted:

4 Rounds of Standard in a tournament of 24 players with known deck biases is meaningless to development.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Cernunnos posted:

I would hope they have enough sense to ignore the incestuous meta of Worlds like everyone else does.

on the one hand, yes it's not actually representative, but on the other, this is a pretty good representation of post-RTR standard with regard to abzan decks never going away, and it's the latter that I hope development doesn't find a good thing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

GeneX posted:

on the one hand, yes it's not actually representative, but on the other, this is a pretty good representation of post-RTR standard with regard to abzan decks never going away, and it's the latter that I hope development doesn't find a good thing.

I don't think they give a poo poo since these decks won't exist in a month.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Siege Rhino + other cards that are good probably will still be a deck post-rotation.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

Cernunnos posted:

worlds is definitely not the only place this has happened though. my LGS has a ton of abzan. i sort of wonder if siege rhino didn't just get tuned a little too high in development. either way, anything dev learned from this standard season was hopfully learned long before worlds.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think Siege Rhino + other cards that are good probably will still be a deck post-rotation.

Probably, but the mana will be worse without scry lands, at least for a few months, since we're only getting 5 of the new cycle in BFZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Didn't see the whole thing, but the delveriest delver mirror that has delvered just occurred on SCG I think. Switch to it from worlds. Each player has a stacked yard, 1 land each in play. Glance back a minute layer, 0 lands in play.

• Locked thread