Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Lately I've been noticing some brownish-ness where the flat part of my cast iron skillet meets...walls? Is this rust? Do I need one of these stainless steel chainmail scrubbers to clean it?

I've never done a true seasoning of the pan but I use it near-daily for bacon, eggs, steak, and pork chops, and clean it every time with soap, scrubbing it with hard plastic bristle brush and wiping it dry using paper towels. I'm not sure how it could have gotten rusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

A skillet with no handle would make a kick-rear end shallow roasting pan. Just begging for a pile of root vegetables with a spatchcocked chicken for a lid.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thirst Mutilator posted:

Lately I've been noticing some brownish-ness where the flat part of my cast iron skillet meets...walls? Is this rust? Do I need one of these stainless steel chainmail scrubbers to clean it?

I've never done a true seasoning of the pan but I use it near-daily for bacon, eggs, steak, and pork chops, and clean it every time with soap, scrubbing it with hard plastic bristle brush and wiping it dry using paper towels. I'm not sure how it could have gotten rusted.

It probably is crusted on food, not rust. You should scrub it while it's hot, preferably with something made of metal. The other advantage to scrubbing while hot is that it dries itself!

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
So I found two cast iron pans in my grandmothers house which she has no interest in and so I stole them. I was beginning to try and rehab them to get the rust off, but I noticed that the black whatever coating is also coming off quite a bit. I have heard that its possible for there to be irreversible damage to cast iron pans if they sit for too long, so I took some pictures, hopefully you can let me know if I should chuck them, or begin the seasoning process.

Here is both of them:

Closeup of the small one:

Closeup of the big one:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don't worry about taking the black off, just scrub the hell out of it with a brillo pad. Some people clean the pans so well when they restore them that they turn completely gray. Those pans are very serviceable and should be great after seasoning and then cooking a bunch of stuff.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bob Morales posted:

Don't worry about taking the black off, just scrub the hell out of it with a brillo pad. Some people clean the pans so well when they restore them that they turn completely gray. Those pans are very serviceable and should be great after seasoning and then cooking a bunch of stuff.

I've media blasted cast iron down to fresh bare gray, and re-seasoned them to glistening black. It's all about bacon patience. As long as it isn't cracked, or corroded so badly the cooking surface is jagged, it's save-able.

The only trick is that after you scrub the poo poo out of them, immediately hit them with some food-safe oil, unless you're seasoning right away. Cast iron with rust pretty quickly, and you'll have to scrub again, which is a drag.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Ok awesome! One more question, should I try and scrape all the black stuff off? Or is it ok for them to be a little patina?

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Important thing is getting all the rust. If some old seasoning remains at that point, no worries.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

So today has been a celebration of this fancy pan all day. This morning I made bacon, and then used the grease to cook some potatoes and onions, grand. Tonight my wife and I cooked two porterhouses, one in the pan and one on the grill to compare/contrast. The grill was your standard "cook over super hot coals for 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other." I found a fancy recipe online for the pan, so I preheated the the oven to 500 with the pan inside, then put it on the burner on high for 5 minutes. When it was absurdly hot I put the steak on it for 30 seconds on each side, then put the whole thing in the oven for 2 minutes, and then flipped it and left it in for another 2 minutes. After we tested them both we agreed that the cast iron pan won, but just barely. The filet side on the pan porterhouse was insanely good. Yay cast iron! Thanks for the seasoning tips, its back to a beautiful black. I for sure wouldn't cook eggs on it yet, though, needs to be used a bunch more times before it's nonstick.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

McSpankWich posted:

So today has been a celebration of this fancy pan all day. This morning I made bacon, and then used the grease to cook some potatoes and onions, grand. Tonight my wife and I cooked two porterhouses, one in the pan and one on the grill to compare/contrast. The grill was your standard "cook over super hot coals for 5 minutes on one side and 4 minutes on the other." I found a fancy recipe online for the pan, so I preheated the the oven to 500 with the pan inside, then put it on the burner on high for 5 minutes. When it was absurdly hot I put the steak on it for 30 seconds on each side, then put the whole thing in the oven for 2 minutes, and then flipped it and left it in for another 2 minutes. After we tested them both we agreed that the cast iron pan won, but just barely. The filet side on the pan porterhouse was insanely good. Yay cast iron! Thanks for the seasoning tips, its back to a beautiful black. I for sure wouldn't cook eggs on it yet, though, needs to be used a bunch more times before it's nonstick.

you could totally cook eggs on it right now. Most people's issues with that is they let it get too hot, and don't have a little butter/oil/fat before adding eggs.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Yeah, the trick with eggs is to take your time and use fat. I never have it above medium-low. Your skillet will be fine.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Whats the problem with eggs anyway? They stick? People expect to not have to use oil for them?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nettle Soup posted:

Whats the problem with eggs anyway? They stick? People expect to not have to use oil for them?

People are terrified of using fat when they cook.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I think Alton Brown said he used to flip the pan over and use the other side for eggs for some reason?

The other thing I don't give a poo poo about in my cast iron is tomatoes. Toss 'em right in, stew up a curry with 'em, don't care.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

doctorfrog posted:

I think Alton Brown said he used to flip the pan over and use the other side for eggs for some reason?

The other thing I don't give a poo poo about in my cast iron is tomatoes. Toss 'em right in, stew up a curry with 'em, don't care.

Yep. I don't care what people say it will do to my seasoning, I just treat cast iron like any other pan (except when cleaning, which is a bit different) and cook whatever I want in it. Hasn't seemed to hurt it yet.

People are really paranoid about their iron pans. Just go with the flow. It'll be fine. Worst case scenario involves sticking it in the oven for a while.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My seasoning turned into a powdery, crusty, grey coating that sticks to everything. I'm going to have to wire brush this thing and re-season. I didn't do anything weird except make tomato sauces in it, could that do it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

My seasoning turned into a powdery, crusty, grey coating that sticks to everything. I'm going to have to wire brush this thing and re-season. I didn't do anything weird except make tomato sauces in it, could that do it?

Normally gray means you got the heat so high it carbonized the seasoning (as opposed to polymerizing it).

I've heard tomato and other acidic things can cause problems in cast iron, but I don't know if that's what the problem looks like.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
I've been wanting the Lodge Sportsman hibachi grill for a few years but couldn't bring myself to buy it. Today my grandfather gave me this bad-rear end grill -

I can't wait to try it out. The other square thing is a Wagner 1103D bacon press made to fit in a square pan (also labeled 1103D), I did not get the pan along with it. Now I need to keep an eye out for one to make the set.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pig grill is the bomb!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My former roommate hosed up my pan a couple times and let it rust. Since then, the "olive oil +1 hour in the oven" seasoning doesn't seem to hold. Is there a more thorough seasoning that isn't super spergy I should do?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My former roommate hosed up my pan a couple times and let it rust. Since then, the "olive oil +1 hour in the oven" seasoning doesn't seem to hold. Is there a more thorough seasoning that isn't super spergy I should do?

There may still be rust in the pan preventing the seasoning from sticking. Here's what I would try,

-Let it soak in vinegar for a few hours to neutralize any rust
-Scrub the the inside of the pan with salt and a rag or a stiff bristled brush to remove any loose seasoning
-Rinse with water
-Heat in the oven until completely dry
-Let cool
-Season. I use vegetable oil at 450 degrees for about an hour.
-Avoid cooking acidic foods until you get a good layer of seasoning built up in the pan.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought olive oil was a no no for seasoning due to the low smoke point.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
That depends a lot on the type of olive oil. I see it listed here from 320-468 degrees

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

As I understand it, the smoke point of a particular oil doesn't determine how well it seasons (or, more technically, bondsadheres with the cast iron surface via polymerization). According to the most comprehensive cast iron seasoning guide that I know of, free radicals (produced by exceeding an oil's smoke point) enable polymerization in the first place, so something with a high smoke point isn't necessarily preferable.

What you're looking for in a good cast iron seasoning oil is a high proportion of alpha-linolenic acid, which true to its name is found in high concentrations in linseeds. Linseed oil is what woodworkers use to create a protective yet pleasant finish on many woods; I've used it myself. The food-safe version is called flaxseed oil.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Sep 7, 2015

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I got myself a Lodge 12" skillet a couple of days ago, and have been experimenting with it since.

I've made this simple recipe that is loving amazing for breakfast:

1. fry a bunch of bacon, I use thick cut English back bacon. Use a grill press if you have one
2. put the bacon aside on a plate or whatever
3. get 2 slices of good bread.
4. put soft goat's cheese in between.
5. place in pan, low heat, soaking up all those good bacon juices.
6. Use the grill press if you have it
7. flip over once.
8. once the cheese is melted and the bread is nice and cruncy like a grilled cheese, open it up and put some of the bacon in from earlier

9. eat

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Biscuit Joiner posted:

I've been wanting the Lodge Sportsman hibachi grill for a few years but couldn't bring myself to buy it. Today my grandfather gave me this bad-rear end grill -

I can't wait to try it out. The other square thing is a Wagner 1103D bacon press made to fit in a square pan (also labeled 1103D), I did not get the pan along with it. Now I need to keep an eye out for one to make the set.

Words cannot express how much I love this thing. Off to internet detect one.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use Castrol Magnatec.

No really just cook in it, wipe it out, put on a thin coat of oil and leave it. Cast iron is not that complicated, nor should it be.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

No really just cook in it, wipe it out, put on a thin coat of oil and leave it. Cast iron is not that complicated, nor should it be.

That's what I generally do, but my former roommate left it to rust multiple times. Since then, when I do the normal routine, it looks bad again by the next time I use it. I'll try letting vinegar stand in it to kill the rust.

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008

Nhilist posted:

Words cannot express how much I love this thing. Off to internet detect one.

If you can find any information about I would love to here it. All I can find is that they were sold through Cracker Barrel stores at some point and there was also a cow version.

I found the cow version on ebay, currently no bids. $45 plus $24 shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAST-IRON-COW-HIBACHI-CAMPING-GRILL-VINTAGE-/252077187890?hash=item3ab0f8a332
The description says it is incomplete/broken though

And this one that already ended
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221809580057

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's what I generally do, but my former roommate left it to rust multiple times. Since then, when I do the normal routine, it looks bad again by the next time I use it. I'll try letting vinegar stand in it to kill the rust.

Strip it and season it with shortening (crisco). Olive oil is an odd choice for seasoning to me. I've never heard of using it.

My method is elsewhere in this thread, but I start to heat the pan and once it's warm, wipe it down with some shortening on a paper towel. You just want enough to make it shiny. If you can see any depth to it then you have too much on, wipe off the excess. Put in a 400 degree oven for an hour or two. Let cool, repeat as wanted.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Strip it and season it with shortening (crisco). Olive oil is an odd choice for seasoning to me. I've never heard of using it.

My method is elsewhere in this thread, but I start to heat the pan and once it's warm, wipe it down with some shortening on a paper towel. You just want enough to make it shiny. If you can see any depth to it then you have too much on, wipe off the excess. Put in a 400 degree oven for an hour or two. Let cool, repeat as wanted.

This is what I do, but I use an oven just hot enough to make the oil smoke, and I use whatever cooking oil I have around (usually canola or peanut). Flaxseed is the best, but whatever.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. My father-in-law uses olive oil, so that's what I used.

I assume coconut oil would also be bad?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

It'd be better? You should either use flax or a neutral oil though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But most importantly, just using and cooking poo poo in it, and then a normal cleaning of it, will also work perfectly.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

But most importantly, just using and cooking poo poo in it, and then a normal cleaning of it, will also work perfectly.

That has never been remotely true in my experience. If I try that, I end up with a haphazard, uneven coating that looks and performs poorly. I've always found you need a really good base seasoning to have a chance.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of lint/fuzz-free cloth I could use to wipe my pan out after using it? I know water's not going to harm the pan but I'm loath to use it, so I normally just use a bunch of paper towels when I'm wiping it out. However, if there are any crusties on it or something, I have to scrub harder which leaves little fibers from the paper towels on it. How can I avoid this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Midniter posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for some sort of lint/fuzz-free cloth I could use to wipe my pan out after using it? I know water's not going to harm the pan but I'm loath to use it, so I normally just use a bunch of paper towels when I'm wiping it out. However, if there are any crusties on it or something, I have to scrub harder which leaves little fibers from the paper towels on it. How can I avoid this?

Get a plastic scraper and then wipe it with a lightly oiled paper towel.

For really tough stuff, put a little water in the pain and get it hot to soften up the crud, then hit it with the plastic scraper. Pour the water out, put it back on the heat until it's dry, then wipe it down with the lightly oiled paper towel

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

That has never been remotely true in my experience. If I try that, I end up with a haphazard, uneven coating that looks and performs poorly. I've always found you need a really good base seasoning to have a chance.

What are you, Amateur Hour?

You just have an uneven cooking method. Get on my level.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

What are you, Amateur Hour?

You just have an uneven cooking method. Get on my level.

What you think is good seasoning is an illusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edit; too harsh, nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 9, 2015