Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lexx was cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Tighclops posted:

Lexx was cool and good

gently caress you. Clown dick idiot.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Nathilus posted:

gently caress you. Clown dick idiot.

That was probably an episode of Lexx too, you cannot escape

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Gritty realism and tits doesn't actually go that well with Star Trek.

Every single Federation character would be Ned Stark in space

"No way am I going to threaten to kill children"

*Executed*

I think DS9 is as close to gritty star trek sci fi as you can get. You had morally grey choices, you had people dying in war and poo poo.

Then again they could set it all in the Mirror Universe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ooo, how about for a gritty Trek, they set it away from the Federation, a lone ship, maybe struggling for supplies, having to make hard choices. Hell, maybe half the crew are non-Federation who might not necessarily go along with their ideals. Sounds perfect.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Entropic posted:

You just set up a vacuum chamber with something falling in it and transport it to the top every time it's about to hit the bottom. It will just keep accelerating until you've got it going a significant fraction of the speed of light and then instead of teleporting it to the top of the chamber you teleport it to outside, aimed at someone you don't like.
Only works if it doesn't take additional energy to teleport something out of a gravity well.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Ha, true. Though that assertion is only true cuz lexx. Touche.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Or a gritty post 911 terrorist plotline...

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Germstore posted:

Or a gritty post 911 terrorist plotline...

So we're talking about new trek now?

They blew up Vulcan. :( them and their drat moon god.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Nathilus posted:

No, Enterprise. They scorched central Florida.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Germstore posted:

No, Enterprise. They scorched central Florida.

No great loss.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

Nathilus posted:

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

happyhippy posted:

I loving hated selling shows on VHS back then.
When DS9 was being aired, in the UK it was either watch it a year after it actually came out, or buy 2 episodes per VHS for £20.
£20 was a lot for us kids, so a friend and I decided to get them between us, each in turn.
Took us about 300-400 quids worth to realize was not loving worth it.

Where did you get your Star Trek videos?. Virgin Megastores was one of the most expensive places at £13.99 but John Menzies sometimes had "bargain" two episode videos of earlier series at £11.99! Then Blockbusters started converting to DVDs and they started selling vids for a fiver! That was a good weekend

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I think at some point you have to stop and ask yourself what the value is in retreading the same ground, and how far away from the original concept of a thing can you get before you should really just not call yourself that thing or admit you want something different

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

happyhippy posted:

I loving hated selling shows on VHS back then.
When DS9 was being aired, in the UK it was either watch it a year after it actually came out, or buy 2 episodes per VHS for £20.
£20 was a lot for us kids, so a friend and I decided to get them between us, each in turn.
Took us about 300-400 quids worth to realize was not loving worth it.

$40 dollars to watch Move Along Home...

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
Speaking of Garak, I just found out last week the actor who played him was this guy, from the first Dirty Harry movie: Andy Robinson

Here's a decent clip from the film if you youngsters haven't seen the movie, yet:

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soZZ_agKT8E

The video is a little dark. Garak starts talking about 21 seconds into it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Garak is one of my favorite TV characters of all time. He owns so hard.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
And Kai Winn was this woman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onm5gjgL97Y

The one thing I really liked about DS9 was that they had really good, award winning actors come in and play guest and recurring character spots.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Lexx was a terrible, low budget piece of crap. I watched the entire series, though, because it was on tv from 1am-2am, at a time when I went to work at 2am. And back when I didn't have many tv channels and had nothing else to do.

The Lexx was a huge ship, the most powerful ship in the galaxy, with 2 people on it, plus a robot head, and a dead guy. The dead guy was had no personality and cared about nothing because he was dead, but he was reanimated, so he would do stuff if they told him to. The captain was an old guy who only cared about sex, but he was an old loser that no one wanted to have sex with. The other person was a female love slave who wouldn't have sex with the captain because he was an old loser. Also, there was an evil robot head who was in love with the love slave, but they couldn't have sex because he was a robot head.

So, one dead character, 3 characters who basically only care about sex but can't or won't have it with each other. They travel around the galaxy as the captain looks for sex but never gets it. Is a low budget show with only 4 characters, each with the depth of a potato, a good show? No it isn't.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Picard: Let this trial show that Data has the rights of a living being, to not be disassembled for some experiment at say-so of a random Starfleet commander! He is alive, and the living have rights!

...a few years pass...

Lt. Commander Data: Lore stirred up the Borg something fierce. We must permanently disassemble on my say-so rather than allow him a trial.

Picard: Whatev.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

Ooo, how about for a gritty Trek, they set it away from the Federation, a lone ship, maybe struggling for supplies, having to make hard choices. Hell, maybe half the crew are non-Federation who might not necessarily go along with their ideals. Sounds perfect.

There's coffee in every nebula so that doesn't work.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Not even John Luck Pickerd could escape the TNG makeup gun.

Someone set it to "gruff tradesman"

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

imo the only way you could have both a realistic and dramatic scifi series now would be to basically copy dune and make it so its illegal to make AI and most people are religious fanatics and shields cause nuclear explosions so everyone still uses guns and melee weapons, but there could still be weird hosed up genetic engineering

thats an uncreative way of doing it, point is that youd have to have some kind of limits set in place that would prevent it from being the culture or whatever boring poo poo a post-singularity show would turn into

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TEAYCHES posted:

imo the only way you could have both a realistic and dramatic scifi series now would be to basically copy dune and make it so its illegal to make AI and most people are religious fanatics and shields cause nuclear explosions so everyone still uses guns and melee weapons, but there could still be weird hosed up genetic engineering

thats an uncreative way of doing it, point is that youd have to have some kind of limits set in place that would prevent it from being the culture or whatever boring poo poo a post-singularity show would turn into

Well the AI-is-illegal-and-we-have-to-avoid-too-much-computers is what BSG did.

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Picard: Let this trial show that Data has the rights of a living being, to not be disassembled for some experiment at say-so of a random Starfleet commander! He is alive, and the living have rights!

...a few years pass...

Lt. Commander Data: Lore stirred up the Borg something fierce. We must permanently disassemble on my say-so rather than allow him a trial.

Picard: Whatev.

I like to think that data's trial was not a broad ruling on all AI but just limited to him as he was "unique". Or otherwise that tribunal thing they set up did not have the jurisdiction to bind federation policy to define life at all and the fed higher ups just went with it to not annoy picard or rile up the tumblrinas of the future.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nathilus posted:

Pleas stop posting about lexx or else I'll post another lexx hate tread. What a stupid loving show.

Everyone said not to watch it in the last thread so of course I did and holographic Tim Curry tries to rape a security guard with his robot dick in Episode 2 and gently caress you Lexx rules.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I had an EQ character named Nathilus. Also, Lexx was an abomination.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Either the dreaded TNG makeup gun has struck again or Bev auditioning for the part of Galactic Super Tramp on a ship full of perverts on Lexx.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I've been watching some TNG episodes in HD and holy poo poo high-def makes everything look camp. My favourite things are the carpeting material every non-com seems to be wearing and the paper mache with glossy finish that all asteroids are made of.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

TEAYCHES posted:

Or just...make Dune

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

skasion posted:

Or just...make Dune

Yeah, if Showtime just adapted Dune into a 12-episode series, then went on to get some good TV writers to write original follow-up seasons, it'd be excellent.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

skasion posted:

Or just...make Dune

itd be hard to watch dune without the david lynch character designs and sets and stuff. i guess if they had the right people and the budget

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
There was already a Dune miniseries and it was not terrible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

shadow puppet of a posted:

Either the dreaded TNG makeup gun has struck again or Bev auditioning for the part of Galactic Super Tramp on a ship full of perverts on Lexx.

That totally was a Lexx episode, by the way. Maybe two.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Omi-Polari posted:

They don't want glory-hounds like Kirk to go off and conquer his own planet like a starfaring Julius Caesar. (And he totally would if it wasn't for the Prime Directive.)

kirk did though, he conquored the gangster planet and made himself emporer

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
i almost wondered why a race of people living by the mob code would be pretty much human but then i remembered that a race of ancient humanoids jizzed on every planet in the galaxy and that's why everyone evolved to be humanoid

what a terrible episode

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Tighclops posted:

Can't escape Lexx.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg2JACigJE8

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Entropic posted:

There was already a Dune miniseries and it was not terrible.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142032/

It was pretty bland but did a decent job of getting the whole plot on screen on a reasonable budget. Children of Dune took this to theretofore-unknown frontiers of blandness which is pretty remarkable for an adaptation of a novel which culminates with its protagonist covering himself in an irremovable armor of sentient worms. It's really unambitious and disappointing after watching something as batshit as Lynch's Dune, which casts whole swathes of plot by the wayside together with any desire to actually make sense but really successfully evokes the bizarre religious and political atmosphere which the whole story is about. The most you can say for the miniseries is that it wasn't butchered by executive meddling. A better one could definitely be done but I have to assume it won't be. Dune's themes would be really uncomfortable for a TV audience these days.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

skasion posted:

It was pretty bland but did a decent job of getting the whole plot on screen on a reasonable budget. Children of Dune took this to theretofore-unknown frontiers of blandness which is pretty remarkable for an adaptation of a novel which culminates with its protagonist covering himself in an irremovable armor of sentient worms. It's really unambitious and disappointing after watching something as batshit as Lynch's Dune, which casts whole swathes of plot by the wayside together with any desire to actually make sense but really successfully evokes the bizarre religious and political atmosphere which the whole story is about. The most you can say for the miniseries is that it wasn't butchered by executive meddling. A better one could definitely be done but I have to assume it won't be. Dune's themes would be really uncomfortable for a TV audience these days.

I find it interesting that adaptations of Dune end up either completely literal and dull or utterly batshit insane, with nothing in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

skasion posted:

A better one could definitely be done but I have to assume it won't be. Dune's themes would be really uncomfortable for a TV audience these days.
Let's see...

Human-induced climate change. The idea that superheroes are horrible. A society built after people violently rebelled against computers. And the protagonists in the first book are essentially the Islamic State in space -- who kill their own children -- and the villains are homosexual pederasts.

I don't see any problems. Kids on social media will love it!

• Locked thread