Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it worked out for you.

The damage is going to be rough and uneven, yes, because I based it off of "how many hits to kill a Fighter", which means it's almost twice as much damage against anyone that's using a d6 hit die. It could probably be dropped a good 20% (ballparking basing the damage off of a d8 hit die class) depending on the group comp.

I think, against parties with a mix of hit die, a 20% reduction in the listed DPR would definitely work out better. From my limited observation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone watch the new Acquisitions Inc? What was that all about?

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
It looked like a bunch of people who don't regularly play 5th edition, playing 5th edition (possibly including the DM).

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Vanguard Warden posted:

It looked like a bunch of people who don't regularly play 5th edition, playing 5th edition (possibly including the DM).

Considering the DM is writing the next adventure, that's worrying.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
That's how they've always done 5e. 4e they got a bit loosey goosey with the rules but always for the sake of entertainment; 5e they've abandoned most of the rules entirely.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

5e they've abandoned most of the rules entirely.
the authentic 5e experience, then.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Really seems like the best way to enjoy 5E.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
"The best way to enjoy playing 5E is to not actually play using 5E rules."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just started making a character. Half-orc bard chaotic neutral charlatan, who likes to swindle people and acts a bit like Han solo.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Sounds like fun, charlatan is the Neatest Background. Make sure you sing everything you do in the most off-key tone possible.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k26idR0QYAY

Not too interested in Drizzt: the campaign

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Wouldn't Drizzt actually be quite weak in 5e, being a Ranger?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He'll be fine once he's equipped with his custom magic items.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
I thought those were optional.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I couldn't even make out what they said half the time for all the noise and whisperings. And it didn't tell me anything about what this was. Rage of Demons? Starts with the Sword Coast? So this is a new franchise of video games? Like so much of 5e, this stuff works good for people who are already on the band wagon... and does gently caress-all for the rest of the world.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
And speaking of demons, The Escapist has some preview stuff regarding Orcus.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142164-Out-of-the-Abyss-Preview-Backgrounds-Bonds-and-Orcus-Stats-Dungeons-and-Dragons-5e

Ok, let's see...

The Madness of Orcus directs you to the wrong table to roll on, due to a copy-paste error.

Power Word Kill is given a saving throw DC even though it's a spell that doesn't have a saving throw.

Orcus is (relatively speaking) a weakling whose only saving grace is lots of wizard spells. Because of course the true threat in D&D is wizard spells.

Orcus can conjure undead "whose combined average hit points don't exceed 500." Ok, so does that mean he can conjure 500 hp worth of average guys, have them roll hit dice anyway, and end up with a platoon of undead with more than 500 hp? And grammatically speaking, I think it can also allow him to summon infinite undead so long as all of their hit points on average don't exceed 500. (I think they mean "added up" instead of combined.)

Immune to nonmagical weapons, because of course. Oh and remember that magical weapons are optional, honest.

He has Time Stop which sounds impressive... except he has zero options to use during this time, other than walking around. He can't attack anything without breaking it, he can't create anything without breaking it, he can't cast any self-buffs, his lair actions don't trigger, his legendary actions don't trigger, etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sage Genesis posted:

He has Time Stop which sounds impressive... except he has zero options to use during this time, other than walking around. He can't attack anything without breaking it, he can't create anything without breaking it, he can't cast any self-buffs, his lair actions don't trigger, his legendary actions don't trigger, etc.
If the party starts winning he can cast it and just wander off.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Splicer posted:

If the party starts winning he can cast it and just wander off.

Yeah I know. And it's so lame.

"Ok guys, you're doing really well but the wiz- I mean, demon lord decided that he doesn't want to die so the fight is over now."

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

gradenko_2000 posted:

Wouldn't Drizzt actually be quite weak in 5e, being a Ranger?
Originally he was dual-classed (not multi) F20 turned R16 or something. May as well use that long-life XP gain for something.

(Depending on the reference book. I also saw him listed as R8 or something silly somewhere.)

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
3.0 had Drizz't as a Fighter 10/Barbarian 1/Ranger 5, as can be seen here

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Orcus being just a high level wizard with some random passive abilities tacked on is so D&D 3.X it isn't even funny.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

orangelex44 posted:

Sounds like fun, charlatan is the Neatest Background. Make sure you sing everything you do in the most off-key tone possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw2bHXt8_aI

Sage Genesis posted:

Orcus can conjure undead "whose combined average hit points don't exceed 500." Ok, so does that mean he can conjure 500 hp worth of average guys, have them roll hit dice anyway, and end up with a platoon of undead with more than 500 hp? And grammatically speaking, I think it can also allow him to summon infinite undead so long as all of their hit points on average don't exceed 500. (I think they mean "added up" instead of combined.)
We just need somebody to write up a special ghost that has 0 HP and is only destroyed when reduced to negative HP.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So when should we expect DnD 5.5?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

goldjas posted:

Orcus being just a high level wizard with some random passive abilities tacked on is so D&D 3.X it isn't even funny.

Yeah I was gonna say, I'm super glad we're back to the 3e days where every badguy was a wizard in a funny outfit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So wait, Orcus is just Dio Brando from Jojo? Except he can't do poo poo when he stops time?

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
Orcus wishes he was 1/1000 as fabulous as DIO.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sage Genesis posted:

Power Word Kill is given a saving throw DC even though it's a spell that doesn't have a saving throw.

The Power Word Kill with a Save Throw DC is part of a lair action that he can use every second turn. Instead of once a day like a wizard, bard or warlock. It's a special situation of the effect offering a save. If he casts Power Word Kill from his wand. (Which is can do 3 times at most.) there is no save.

On the undead it's the same power as given in the DMG for the Wand of Orcus. He can summon Undead whose Combined Average Hit points don't exceed 500. The Combined part is to prevent the infinite undead thing you brought up. It does not allow infinite summons

This is how the Ability works in the DMG.

DMG posted:

While you are holding the wand, you can use an action to conjure skeletons and zombies, calling forth as many of them as you can divide 500 hit points among, each undead having average hit points (see the Monster Manual for statistics). The undead magically rise up from the ground or otherwise form in unoccupied spaces within 300 feet of you and obey your commands until they are destroyed or until dawn of the next day, when they collapse into inanimate piles of bones and rotting corpses. Once you use this property of the wand, you can't use it again until the next dawn.
While attuned to the wand, Orcus can summon any kind of undead, not just skeletons and zombies. The undead don't perish or disappear at dawn the following day, remaining until Orcus dismisses them.

It was rewritten because the Skeletons and Zombies part does not matter for Orcus.

As for the Time Stop he can summon undead and smack a guy in the face a few times with his Wand. It will break then. But he can do more then just walk around.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Power Word Kill with a Save Throw DC is part of a lair action that he can use every second turn. Instead of once a day like a wizard, bard or warlock. It's a special situation of the effect offering a save. If he casts Power Word Kill from his wand. (Which is can do 3 times at most.) there is no save.

Yeah, no, I call bullshit. If this was a special case where the spell is suddenly supposed to have a save then the write-up would specify both;
a. Which of the six types of saving throw you have to roll.
b. What happens on a successful save.

The write-up does neither. It just says "save DC 23". That doesn't mean anything. It's an incomplete rules fragment due to a writer loving up and thinking that PW: Kill has a saving throw.

MonsterEnvy posted:

On the undead it's the same power as given in the DMG for the Wand of Orcus. He can summon Undead whose Combined Average Hit points don't exceed 500. The Combined part is to prevent the infinite undead thing you brought up. It does not allow infinite summons

Of course it doesn't allow infinite summons. I was using hyperbole to point out the poor writing.

MonsterEnvy posted:

As for the Time Stop he can summon undead and smack a guy in the face a few times with his Wand. It will break then. But he can do more then just walk around.

Yes, I understand that he can do all sorts of things within a Time Stop. The point is that Time Stop breaks as soon as he does... well, pretty much anything. Using an action to cast Time Stop and then walking over to a guy to whack him in the face with your "free" action is stupidly convoluted. You might as well have spent that first action on just attacking straight away. The true power of Time Stop in 5e is to allow a caster to quickly layer on self-buffs, potions, and activate items. Orcus doesn't have any of that. He just has a spell with a big sounding name for the sake of looking scary, even though in practice its use will be much more limited. That is poor design in my book.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

If he casts Power Word Kill from his wand. (Which is can do 3 times at most.) there is no save.

Wait what the gently caress? the big bad orc god is throwing out killing spells from a loving wand? Like why cant he loving litterally say a word of death and destruction? Does he stick his pinky out when waving his little fairy wand?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Wouldn't the god of undeath get wrecked by a beholder looking at him funny?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
He would at least get laughed at for not having a real weapon.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
No size limit for lair undead-creation. Orcus' undead stay under his control for ever. The skeleton economy is strong here.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I like that he has like four different ways to raise undead, because three of them are spells and they couldn't be bothered to make one simple elegant mechanic for it.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Elfgames posted:

throwing out killing spells from a loving wand?
Once upon a time The Wand of Orcus was a scary dnd-mythological thing. Apparently not anymore.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
No it really loving isn't. he is a god why the gently caress is he channeling magic through a little stick? it might be scary if he started off like that and then halfway through the fight tossed it behind him and was like "hohoho playing with puny human death magic was fun now here's the real poo poo."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Orcus just casting Power Word Kill, no save, out his rear end once a turn would have a certain "eats 1d4 investigators per round" charm to it. I mean, he's a god, what did you expect?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
mh to be fair i would limit it to like 1 every 3 rounds and the round after he does nothing but laugh his rear end off

Edit: actually how does a wand cast power word kill anyway? does it have lips? is it some sentient celestial stickbug that orcus captured to do his bidding and he taught it some death magic? if so i'm pretty ok with that.

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 31, 2015

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Elfgames posted:

mh to be fair i would limit it to like 1 every 3 rounds and the round after he does nothing but laugh his rear end off

Edit: actually how does a wand cast power word kill anyway? does it have lips? is it some sentient celestial stickbug that orcus captured to do his bidding and he taught it some death magic? if so i'm pretty ok with that.

I should think that's pretty obvious....

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

chaos rhames posted:

Wouldn't the god of undeath get wrecked by a beholder looking at him funny?

In my campaign this evening we neutralized cthulhu's magic with our pet beholder. And to be clear, I mean the actual awoken cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

FRINGE posted:

Once upon a time The Wand of Orcus was a scary dnd-mythological thing. Apparently not anymore.

People stopped taking D&D items called wands seriously when 3e used the name for the generic "want to cast this spell but can't be bothered to prepare it" item. I wouldn't be surprised if some 3e product renamed it to the Rod of Orcus.