Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Harrow posted:

I'm suddenly overcome by the desire to run a Dungeon World game again.

I spent a good portion of the day idly coming up with a setting that is basically "Inverse World, but the islands are suspended on the branches of a World Tree with Sola at the top." Cloudseas covering a mysterious surface with various legends as to how/why it became uninhabitable (though nobody has seen it for countless ages). Frog people who fish the cloudseas; crow people who were important traders before the development of flying machines and now struggle to find a niche; sloth people who are overwhelmingly employed mining the tough bark of the World Tree (a renewable resource) that is used in place of metal in many applications. (Also, the "human" stand-in are Folk, basically just a mish-mash of various humanoids that don't really consider each other to be different species. Want to be a dude with webbed toes and cat ears? Sure, you're just Folk like everyone else.) There's a desert island that is freezing cold and perpetually nighttime because it is always shaded by the leaves of the World Tree--it never gets enough rain for vegetation to grow because it can't make it through the immense canopy.

I'd run it right now but I'm neck-deep in a 13th Age campaign that is probably going to go on for a while. :ohdear: Maybe I can start running sessions in between 13th Age story arcs.

Cool setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floating Bohemian
May 19, 2003
I like pants and breasts. Fuck y'all.

Blind Azathoth posted:

Yeah, I figured. I know those things are a real pain in the rear end, trying to strike a balance between looking good and how much information you can actually cram on a page. Well, no worries; thought I'd ask, just in case. I look forward to seeing 'em whenever they're ready, but in the meantime... crappy Microsoft Word tables ahoy!

P.S. Congrats on writing what looks like an awesome game.

You wouldn't mind putting those tables up on a google doc to share would you?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

I spent a good portion of the day idly coming up with a setting that is basically "Inverse World, but the islands are suspended on the branches of a World Tree with Sola at the top." Cloudseas covering a mysterious surface with various legends as to how/why it became uninhabitable (though nobody has seen it for countless ages). Frog people who fish the cloudseas; crow people who were important traders before the development of flying machines and now struggle to find a niche; sloth people who are overwhelmingly employed mining the tough bark of the World Tree (a renewable resource) that is used in place of metal in many applications. (Also, the "human" stand-in are Folk, basically just a mish-mash of various humanoids that don't really consider each other to be different species. Want to be a dude with webbed toes and cat ears? Sure, you're just Folk like everyone else.) There's a desert island that is freezing cold and perpetually nighttime because it is always shaded by the leaves of the World Tree--it never gets enough rain for vegetation to grow because it can't make it through the immense canopy.

I'd run it right now but I'm neck-deep in a 13th Age campaign that is probably going to go on for a while. :ohdear: Maybe I can start running sessions in between 13th Age story arcs.

This is way better than my idea, which is Venice with banks to rob instead of dungeons everywhere, and there's a skeleton mafia. I'd love to see an etrian odyssey style setting.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Floating Bohemian posted:

You wouldn't mind putting those tables up on a google doc to share would you?

Unfortunately, my playtest for this week fell apart, so I didn't wind up cobbling something together yet. I'll probably do so and can put them up early next week, if we don't have Gnome's sexy playbooks by then.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Harrow posted:

This sounds totally awesome. If you're going to be a pbp on here with it I'd totally be up for it!

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Arashiofordo3 posted:

This sounds totally awesome. If you're going to be a pbp on here with it I'd totally be up for it!

Yeah that would be so cool. I'd love to join a pbp for it too!

Edit:

chaos rhames posted:

This is way better than my idea, which is Venice with banks to rob instead of dungeons everywhere, and there's a skeleton mafia. I'd love to see an etrian odyssey style setting.

This rules too! Sounds like a more High-Fantasy "Lies of Locke Lamora" setting. I'd join pbp's for all of these, if the opportunity arose.

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 14, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hm, that's really, really tempting. I've never run a PBP before, but I'd be down for that. I'm also probably going to run it for my in-person group once our 13th Age campaign is done, but getting to do it right now PBP would be very nice.

Anyone have advice for running Dungeon World PBP?

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

chaos rhames posted:

That actually sounds pretty cool as well.

Maybe even have banks run by a few different competing types of monsters or maybe they're all run by competing beholder-types or some poo poo.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Harrow posted:

Hm, that's really, really tempting. I've never run a PBP before, but I'd be down for that. I'm also probably going to run it for my in-person group once our 13th Age campaign is done, but getting to do it right now PBP would be very nice.

1. Stick with the recommended 3-4 players.
You're gonna get a bazillion apps. And they're all gonna be cool. Prepare yourself to stick to player limits, some games try to do big groups, but if you're new to gming that can get out of hand fast.

2. There's always going to be one or two people who drop out fairly early (real life getting in the way etc.) so don't be afraid to open up recruitment again, and keep a couple notes as the game goes for hooks that can pull a new person in.

3. GM sets the pace.
Pbp is pretty slow, and that isn't a bad thing. But it's easy for a game to slow down to a crawl when you're waiting for someone.
Don't be afraid to set a deadline (1 day after I post, etc.) for when you're gonna move on.
This shouldn't be punitive, everybody has good reasons they might not be able to post, just gloss over them or gently npc them until they can post again and catch up.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Error 404 posted:

1. Stick with the recommended 3-4 players.
You're gonna get a bazillion apps. And they're all gonna be cool. Prepare yourself to stick to player limits, some games try to do big groups, but if you're new to gming that can get out of hand fast.

2. There's always going to be one or two people who drop out fairly early (real life getting in the way etc.) so don't be afraid to open up recruitment again, and keep a couple notes as the game goes for hooks that can pull a new person in.

3. GM sets the pace.
Pbp is pretty slow, and that isn't a bad thing. But it's easy for a game to slow down to a crawl when you're waiting for someone.
Don't be afraid to set a deadline (1 day after I post, etc.) for when you're gonna move on.
This shouldn't be punitive, everybody has good reasons they might not be able to post, just gloss over them or gently npc them until they can post again and catch up.

This is pretty good advice. here's some of my own.

1. You're always going to question if people are having fun. Don't worry about it. If people do have an issue, they will tell you.

2. Seriously don't worry.

3. Have a blast, and your players will too!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

GimpInBlack posted:

I've been meaning to tweak the Gladiator, Berserk, and Marshall lately--maybe I'll try to get them done in this style when I do.

Yeah, I'm DMing dungeon world games again, so I'll likely convert the Kombatant, Prize Fighter, and Cosmic Herald up to them too

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Harrow posted:

Please do this so I can make a frog-man.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Please do this so I can make a frog-man.

Same, but a squad of goblin trapmakers.
*like the character concept is literally the ewoks vs empire fight in return of the jedi*

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Error 404 posted:

Same, but a squad of goblin trapmakers.
*like the character concept is literally the ewoks vs empire fight in return of the jedi*

I sort of like the idea of being a Crow-person. It seems like they have a similar plot hook to standard fantasy dwarves, where the sun is setting on their civilization, but maybe crows have a reputation for being more crafty/cunning so they just need to find their new niche. If a PbP of this takes off, I'm eyeing the Inquisitor playbook.

Tenebrous Tourist fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Aug 16, 2015

Infinite Oregano
Dec 31, 2007

I'm going to make my friends eat infinite oregano and they'll have to do it because the recipe says so!
The consensus seems to be to make a DW pbp game in that neat setting, Harrow. (And I agree :v:)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gonna do it! Keep an eye out in the PBP subforum in the next couple of days for the character app thread.

I'm pretty excited.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Harrow posted:

Gonna do it! Keep an eye out in the PBP subforum in the next couple of days for the character app thread.

I'm pretty excited.

Yeeeees! :woop:

Don't forget to post a link in the recruitment thread.

*EDIT*

Oh and I'm totally entering a clock mage. I wanna make a kinda speedy swordsman guardian character.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 17, 2015

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
FINALLY back into DW after months of not playing and surprisingly got a table of 7 people!

I hate to homebrew too much, but I remember people talking some time ago about a more playable replacement for the Bonds system. I like bonds early on, but they get tedious after a while and I feel like the players have to half-rear end them to keep things moving.

Any advice?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Yeeeees! :woop:

Don't forget to post a link in the recruitment thread.

*EDIT*

Oh and I'm totally entering a clock mage. I wanna make a kinda speedy swordsman guardian character.

gently caress yes, I love the Clock Mage. I'm working on the post now (should be up tonight), but I was going to have a note in there about how any playbook is allowed but if you're playing a magic-user, I like the very heavily-themed ones for this setting. Clock Mage is a great fit.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Harrow posted:

gently caress yes, I love the Clock Mage. I'm working on the post now (should be up tonight), but I was going to have a note in there about how any playbook is allowed but if you're playing a magic-user, I like the very heavily-themed ones for this setting. Clock Mage is a great fit.

Awesome. I do like the mage books. Clocks my favourite, followed by ice .Then Dragon, then mage, then mask.

Can't wait to start putting my app together.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

Star Mage doesn't rate? Star Mage is the best!

Also looking forward to the recruit.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Star Mage doesn't rate? Star Mage is the best!

Also looking forward to the recruit.

Oh God, I forgot about Star! :allears: I love that one too. They're really fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Everyone ready to PBP some Dungeon World?

Good, because I made a thing! Get'cher apps in by Sunday, August 23, or be... I dunno, square or something.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

What's the prevailing opinion on Class Warfare? I'm applying to a pbp on another site and these dudes are going nuts with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

What's the prevailing opinion on Class Warfare? I'm applying to a pbp on another site and these dudes are going nuts with it.

I don't know the prevailing opinion, but I'm half and half on it. I remember seeing a few options that didn't seem to work out that great, felt a little unbalanced, and defeats the whole "pick up and play element," but I'm sure a lot of people can and will enjoy it and I imagine I could make some fun things from it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Covok posted:

I don't know the prevailing opinion, but I'm half and half on it. I remember seeing a few options that didn't seem to work out that great, felt a little unbalanced, and defeats the whole "pick up and play element," but I'm sure a lot of people can and will enjoy it and I imagine I could make some fun things from it.

It strikes me as Advanced Dungeon World the same way AD&D was to old D&D. Lots of options for more advanced play that slot into the original.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's pretty cool.

But I think it lacks some of the subtle narrative aspect that makes a good playbook good.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
It's a great compendium of diffrent add on classes. But I don't think it works as intended, just because of the moves not fitting into a unified theme. That said I do think it's a great place to start for insperation on how to build your own moves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

RSIxidor posted:

It's pretty cool.

But I think it lacks some of the subtle narrative aspect that makes a good playbook good.

I don't think it lacks as much as offloads the responsibility onto the player to 'make it work'.

Which I'm a little ambivalent about tbh.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Flipping through Class Warfare, I feel like making characters the way it says would be fun, but it's getting into GURPS levels of cherry picking things, even when they don't make sense, just to be "rounded".

I'm mostly using it for inspiration for custom moves and/or just cribbing some moves from it directly.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I think Class Warfare really takes away from the tight thematic nature of Dungeon World playbooks and turns it into a pseudo point buy system, yeah. It's kinda weird and I will never use it. I'm already attached to all these cool playbooks I wrote, I don't need it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

I have a couple questions about the Spellsword: is the mystical armour supposed to be 1 armour/2 weight? And in regards to Channel Weapon, I had originally thought that you picked one effect at character creation, but now I see that it reads more in the direction of choose one effect when you make that move. Is that correct?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I have a couple questions about the Spellsword: is the mystical armour supposed to be 1 armour/2 weight? And in regards to Channel Weapon, I had originally thought that you picked one effect at character creation, but now I see that it reads more in the direction of choose one effect when you make that move. Is that correct?

The mystical armor should probably be 1 weight, but it doesn't matter really. Weight and Load are fairly meaningless.

And yes, you choose one effect when you make the Channel Weapon move. You have all of those options available to you.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Where is the print version of the DM guide? The one that goes well into a book? Like the one here:

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I have no idea where you'd find it on the internet these days, but I still have my print PDF, so I uploaded it for ya: http://www.mediafire.com/view/6z2qrz4jcz11b8c/Dungeon_World_Guide_print_version.pdf

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

Where is the print version of the DM guide? The one that goes well into a book? Like the one here:

The print version was made by Eon (scrape) himself because he worked in a print shop. He did a very limited run. I know there's a game store in Northampton, MA that has a few copies. I may have a spare one myself; I'd have to check.

Covok
May 27, 2013

gnome7 posted:

I have no idea where you'd find it on the internet these days, but I still have my print PDF, so I uploaded it for ya: http://www.mediafire.com/view/6z2qrz4jcz11b8c/Dungeon_World_Guide_print_version.pdf

Thanks, gnome. I'll just print this out myself later and stable it together.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A while ago I asked the thread for advice writing a move for one of the 3 super powerful weapons in my setting, based on virtues. They are basically the MacGuffins that the players will save the world with, but each one grants them a special power. Here's the one of Temperance I wrote -

The Arrow Of Temperance
One of the three lost arrows of Lordran, the metal shaft twists in your palm, becoming a weapon of your choice. Pick two tags from the list below and describe the shape it takes.
Precise, Forceful, Returning, Glowing, Reach, +1 Damage
When you take the time to judge the area and things around you, spend 1XP and roll +WIS
On a 10+ the area calms. Weapons are lowered, the wind settles, voices are hushed and yours rings out in the silence.
On a 7-9, the peace you bring is temporary, it will vanish at the worst possible time.
On a 6 or below, the arrow becomes immutable for some time, and your XP is lost.

Now I need some help coming up with another one. This one is a 'man-made' version of Defiance. So I basically want a move with a LOT of power, but power that is in some way corrupted with big consequences for its use.
This is what I have right now, which isn't great.

Defiance posted:

The Man-Made Arrow of Defiance
One of the three lost arrows of Lordran, the metal shaft twists in your palm, becoming a weapon of your choice. Pick two tags from the list below and describe the shape it takes.
When you stand in defiance of something much, much more powerful than yourself spend 1XP and roll +STR
On a 10+ your weakness becomes strength, and you stand as tall as your foe. Regardless of power, your strikes ring true, your words speak out and your command takes hold. Describe what happens next.
On a 7-9, your power is a hollow one, and while your strikes and your words burst forth, you’re only making them stronger. Describe what happens next, but your foe will become more powerful by the end of it.
On a 6 or below, your defiance fails in the face of their power. The arrow becomes immutable for a time and the GM will describe the consequence for your stand. It will not be pretty,
Thoughts?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

A while ago I asked the thread for advice writing a move for one of the 3 super powerful weapons in my setting, based on virtues. They are basically the MacGuffins that the players will save the world with, but each one grants them a special power. Here's the one of Temperance I wrote -

The Arrow Of Temperance
When you take the time to judge the area and things around you, spend 1XP and roll +WIS
On a 10+ the area calms. Weapons are lowered, the wind settles, voices are hushed and yours rings out in the silence.
On a 7-9, the peace you bring is temporary, it will vanish at the worst possible time.
On a 6 or below, the arrow becomes immutable for some time, and your XP is lost.

Now I need some help coming up with another one. This one is a 'man-made' version of Defiance. So I basically want a move with a LOT of power, but power that is in some way corrupted with big consequences for its use.
This is what I have right now, which isn't great.

Thoughts?

Spending xp to power a move is a bad idea.

If you need to spend something, have it be some kind of hold in play. Because that's what hold is for.

Like a bond. At the end of session ask "did you do something to embody X?" If so hold 1 to use later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Theres no reason spending XP to power a move is 'bad'. The Arrow Moves are huge things that have only ever been used once in this 25~ session campaign, and that time was this awesome cinematic moment. XP is handed out like candy in the basic game so, either way, it's worked out great for me so far.