Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

BioEnchanted posted:

Aww there's always something to bitch about. I enjoy my job but if it gets extremely busy (Tech Support Call Centre) then I still bitch about it when/if it quietens down because that is kinda annoying.

That's true, but I have a job in an industry I'm interested in that I studied for. My friends have jobs they took just to make rent.

Also, it drives me nuts when they get mad they don't just get offered jobs that they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I'm finishing a CS major very soon and need to figure out what to do next. I probably have a gently caress load of options because my math skills are good and I wrote a paper on AI but...I haven't heard back from anybody, haven't gotten any job offers yet, and need to get the GRE out of the way. The uncertainty is what bothers me because I just want to know if I'll need to move to Pittsburgh or not.

This bothers me only because I really don't like Pittsburgh but might end up there anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is the most first world problem I've ever had.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'm finishing a CS major very soon and need to figure out what to do next. I probably have a gently caress load of options because my math skills are good and I wrote a paper on AI but...I haven't heard back from anybody, haven't gotten any job offers yet, and need to get the GRE out of the way. The uncertainty is what bothers me because I just want to know if I'll need to move to Pittsburgh or not.

This bothers me only because I really don't like Pittsburgh but might end up there anyway.

This sounds a lot like the reason I live in Dallas. I don't want to live in Dallas, but...I live in Dallas now.

Also you have now reminded me that the GRE is a thing and I took it. So now I'm curious about how I did because I don't think anyone ever gave a gently caress and I forget what the results were but I don't know where I can find said results, and I have a bunch of college junk I have to sift through, so that'll suck. I vaguely recall doing better on it than other CS majors in my class that were doing better than me GPA wise and being glad about that, but then no one gave a gently caress about GRE stuff, so whatever.

Edit:VV I work for something like that, so that's been true for a good 5 years now. The back-end work is often piss easy compared to what you're likely doing in school, so if you enjoy a challenge then it might suck, but you might get lucky and get there right before they decide to upgrade everything and then it'll be at least mildly interesting. Alternatively web dev and security stuff is nice and challenging in finance, so there's a solution to potential boredom.

Brightman has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Aug 25, 2015

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A pal of mine had a lot of luck working for betting companies and banks who are desperate for CS and Maths grads which are like gold dust.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
I'm really hungry but my friend won't be here to pick me up for lunch for another hour. If I eat a snack now I'm afraid it will ruin my appetite for lunch and my friend will be sad I'm not hungry.

But I'm so hungry!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

nexus6 posted:

When I go out with my friends they like to complain about their jobs or bosses or the job market in general but I enjoy my job so I can't join in the conversation.

Similarly, ever since I got a job I love with a great salary, I feel like I can't commiserate with friends anymore. It's probably weird that my friendships were/are so heavily based on commiseration anyway though.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.
Newest patch is out for Diablo 3 and season 4 starts on friday. But I'm leaving for vacation really early saturday morning for 2 weeks.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It finally happened. Motherfuckers shorted me an entire shift on my paycheck :shepface:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Similarly, ever since I got a job I love with a great salary, I feel like I can't commiserate with friends anymore. It's probably weird that my friendships were/are so heavily based on commiseration anyway though.

Continuing this theme, I just got approached out of the blue by a better company looking to hire me for a better job. I don't even need to look for and apply for new jobs anymore.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
All my paperwork is in an office I'm locked out of due to a conference call. I have to either find something else to do for half an hour or take my break now :(

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

My phone's browser isn't loading Facebook properly, so I'm having to use the horrendous app.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A job I applied for said I was qualified but didn't have enough time-in-grade. Now I have enough time but they are saying that I'm not qualified.

Listen here you fuckers, if you are just doing an internal promortion, don't advertise it to the public.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Business dinner tonight. I must have eaten something bad for lunch because throughout the night I had to fart SO BAD, but of course I couldn't because I was in front of clients. I'm not even kidding, I was almost sweating from the effort of holding back.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Mikl posted:

Business dinner tonight. I must have eaten something bad for lunch because throughout the night I had to fart SO BAD, but of course I couldn't because I was in front of clients. I'm not even kidding, I was almost sweating from the effort of holding back.

Just excuse yourself to the bathroom and let it rip in there.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I bought a lanyard with which to attach a small wireless speaker to. The lanyard is a bit big, making it hang a shade too low for my taste, but thanks to the design of the thing, shortening it would make it a pain to take off.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I wish Cortana was more subservient and apologetic when I yell at her.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have .65 off the price of a gallon of gas, and it's only good till 9/1 :(

I did fill my almost empty gas tank for 1.40 a gallon, but there was a fuckup at the Shell station and they didn't use my gift cards so I could get free cheap gas :(

Also, the gas station pizza was not good :(

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Poldarn posted:

The idiot who renovated my house before I bought it built the kitchen counter around the dishwasher. Who knew that one day someone would want to replace the dishwasher without tearing that counter apart?

I feel your pain. My equivalent idiot not only built the counters around it, but hard plumbed it - 1/2" copper tube, no flexible hose. Forgot to shut off the house water valve (no shutoff for the dishwasher, obviously) and got a geyser when I tried to pull the unit out and the cheesy plastic solenoid snapped off. Also, the tubing came up through the floor and I had to cut it off and tee off the sink water lines because the new dishwasher was a deep tub design. At least the place was a bargain.

Other FWP - for no good reason, raccoons keep crapping on the roof of my shed.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I took a day off from my current job to interview at a new place, but they postponed the interview on me last minute. So now I have a whole day off tomorrow with nothing to do, and I need to take another day off from my job sometime next week.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
My friend got promoted at work, so now she is a store manager, so I see her maybe once every two weeks, when we used to hang out every day.

I have nothing to do this weekend but my car needs an oil change and I don't want to take it because the place I go to is so loving hard to get an appt at.

Tried to set up a meet with another fishkeeper, at 2am today we agreed to meet "tomorrow." For me, since it's 2am, that means today is Saturday, tomorrow is Sunday. For Mr rear end in a top hat, "tomorrow" means Saturday because he forgot 2am Saturday morning doesn't mean Friday. He got real snippy when I pointed that out and I had to cancel the meeting.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Tried to set up a meet with another fishkeeper, at 2am today we agreed to meet "tomorrow." For me, since it's 2am, that means today is Saturday, tomorrow is Sunday. For Mr rear end in a top hat, "tomorrow" means Saturday because he forgot 2am Saturday morning doesn't mean Friday. He got real snippy when I pointed that out and I had to cancel the meeting.

You are the one who is wrong there.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Recently switched to T-Mobile so I can use my phone in Canada and Mexico just like while in U.S. except by default roaming is turned off so the phone won't work out of the U.S.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have an interview for a company but don't know what day it is till Monday or Tuesday and I think I'll probably land the job so I'm anxious as gently caress :ohdear:.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Because 2am Saturday morning is still Saturday, so tomorrow would be Sunday?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Because 2am Saturday morning is still Saturday, so tomorrow would be Sunday?

Technically yes, but no one means that when they say "tomorrow" after midnight. "Tomorrow" means the same thing at 2 am as it did three hours before.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

If you haven't slept, or the sun hasn't risen, it's not the next day yet.

But this is why after about 10pm words like tomorrow and yesterday should be banned.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm like 95% sure the a/c compressor in my truck poo poo itself.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm like 95% sure the a/c compressor in my truck poo poo itself.

I thought the same thing about my car two summers ago.

Obviously I have no way of knowing what your situation is, but if you haven't already. I suggest you check the fuse.

I replaced mind and my compressor fired back up again and hasn't blown the new fuse.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, there's oil on the concrete below where it's leaked out from the a/c and it's blowing hot a day after it was blowing cold.

Either it's a major leak or the compressor went poof :(

Appreciate the advice though!

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
It turns out my purebred dog came from a puppy mill, so I had to put him down.

Tiggum posted:

He's either 1) completely unreasonable, 2) a huge sperg or 3) overreacting to the normal human behavior in 99% of his stories. Being in the wrong when it comes to basic human interaction is kinda his gimmick.

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Irish Joe posted:

It turns out my purebred dog came from a puppy mill, so I had to put him down.

I don't quite understand the logic here.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I still don't really understand what time I'll be able to start downloading The Phantom Pain

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even though I charged it last night, my TV remote's battery was dead because a bug caused its colour touchscreen to stay on all day.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I just bought my first home, and my dad was nice enough to give me a free lawn mower.

It sucks, though. The charge doesn't last long enough to mow even my relatively small lawn.. It can't even do it on two charges. Three...three god-damned charges of the battery to mow one lawn.

Also, the bag is tiny and I have to empty it five times, but I have nowhere to really put it or a way to get rid of it so I have a slowly growing pile of clippings.

It's free, so I shouldn't complain, but I'd rather have a mower that can finish the whole lawn in one day, and just had a regular blower that left a small amount of grass on the lawn that becomes unnoticeable after a couple days.

Also, it's width is like twelve inches, whereas an average mower is closer to 20".

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Our cleaner came yesterday even though it was a Bank Holiday. Everywhere did need vacuuming and mopping especially as I had been in and out from the garden all weekend, but I ended up going to do more gardening to get out of her way. Really all I wanted to do was sit and play Skyrim for twelve hours.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Warm up bands who play encores. This is polite applause, you dumb fucks.

DrBouvenstein posted:

It sucks, though. The charge doesn't last long enough to mow even my relatively small lawn.. It can't even do it on two charges. Three...three god-damned charges of the battery to mow one lawn.

A battery powered mower. Now I've seen everything.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Irish Joe posted:

A battery powered mower. Now I've seen everything.

Well, you might run over an extension cord.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

I just bought my first home, and my dad was nice enough to give me a free lawn mower.

Also, the bag is tiny and I have to empty it five times, but I have nowhere to really put it or a way to get rid of it so I have a slowly growing pile of clippings.

It's free, so I shouldn't complain, but I'd rather have a mower that can finish the whole lawn in one day, and just had a regular blower that left a small amount of grass on the lawn that becomes unnoticeable after a couple days.

Also, it's width is like twelve inches, whereas an average mower is closer to 20".

My parents gave me a vacuum cleaner for free and
  • It does a terrible job picking up cat hair
  • the cord has been pulled out too far so it doesn't reel back in
  • the detachable part has a terrible seal so it keeps falling apart on its own
  • one of the attachments is missing
but it is bagless and was free

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Sanford posted:

Our cleaner came yesterday even though it was a Bank Holiday. Everywhere did need vacuuming and mopping especially as I had been in and out from the garden all weekend, but I ended up going to do more gardening to get out of her way. Really all I wanted to do was sit and play Skyrim for twelve hours.

I forgot to mention that we got a new puppy on Saturday and he's cute and all but puppies need loads of attention and honestly, I just want to play Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My flat is too warm to be comfortable, but not warm enough to justify turning on the air conditioning. Guess I'll have to sleep with my window open and get cool that way.