Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
When radioactive isotopes decay into another element what happens to the previously existing bonds? For instance radium is a pretty reactive metal, but decays into radon, which is almost totally inert. How does the breaking of those bonds affect the energy released by the decay itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

When buying a used car from a dealer (rather than private sale) what's the process/etiquette for getting it inspected?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nighthand posted:

When buying a used car from a dealer (rather than private sale) what's the process/etiquette for getting it inspected?

Tell them you want to take to to a mechanic of your choice to be inspected. Offer to take it yourself or have them drop it off.

If this is refused you run the hell away.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nighthand posted:

I've only done this once, and all I did was ask the dude at the dealership.

I don't remember him taking down any of my information, but he let me take the car for as long as I wanted, as long as I got it back to the dealership before they closed. I didn't sign anything and I'm pretty sure I could have stolen it with very little repercussions. It was weird.

But I think you can ask them what their policies about that are; they can tell you better information than I can.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Dumb question because all I think it needs is some more Google skill than I have, but can't find this info: can someone find me a list of current CIA operations by country? I am mostly interested in Latin America but would like to see known or suspected ops around the world. The issue I'm hitting is that all the search terms I enter bring up historical stuff like cold war coups and stuff (even when I use terms like "CIA current operations"). I would like to see US involvement in CA/SA/The Carribean up to the moment, I'd be very surpised if they've pulled out of the region completely but all the latest articles are more about Yemen etc. Anyone got a good link?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Dumb question because all I think it needs is some more Google skill than I have, but can't find this info: can someone find me a list of current CIA operations by country? I am mostly interested in Latin America but would like to see known or suspected ops around the world. The issue I'm hitting is that all the search terms I enter bring up historical stuff like cold war coups and stuff (even when I use terms like "CIA current operations"). I would like to see US involvement in CA/SA/The Carribean up to the moment, I'd be very surpised if they've pulled out of the region completely but all the latest articles are more about Yemen etc. Anyone got a good link?

A listing of current covert operations by the US government...... Try wikileaks?

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013
Wow, I didn't know wikileaks was so accessible... I always assumed it was something you had to dig around for or go on the "dark web" for or whatever. But I just had to type "wikileaks" into google, which brought me to a nice site with a search bar and I was reading classified PDFs in like 5 minutes. I guess that should have been obvious to me but I didn't even think of it. Thanks dude :3

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Someone asked this elsewhere and I feel like it's the kind of thing some random goon would know. I can't find it on Youtube or anything relevant on Google.

A few years ago, a comedian who was a guest on a late night talk show sat down at a piano and sang a song with a bunch of examples of why Jesus was a cannibal, vampire, zombie, etc. He might have had a British accent. Although a couple of themes were similar, it wasn't anything from Circle by Eddie Izzard.

Any ideas who it might have been?

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

GWBBQ posted:

Someone asked this elsewhere and I feel like it's the kind of thing some random goon would know. I can't find it on Youtube or anything relevant on Google.

A few years ago, a comedian who was a guest on a late night talk show sat down at a piano and sang a song with a bunch of examples of why Jesus was a cannibal, vampire, zombie, etc. He might have had a British accent. Although a couple of themes were similar, it wasn't anything from Circle by Eddie Izzard.

Any ideas who it might have been?

Sounds like this song by Tim Minchin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFdUJLebzU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

That was it, thanks!

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
How far back does your average pre-employment, non government criminal background check go in the US? I discharged a non-violent felony in 1999, so I'm wondering if I still need to put it on the online applications? I've heard they usually only go back seven years, but have not been able to find too much info.

Is there a maximum time a non-government background check can go?

Is there a standard company most employers use, so I can run my own background check on myself?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
there's a bunch of free watermark apps on iphone, can anyone recommend one over another?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Will powerline ethernet work between two outlets on different breaker panels?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Will powerline ethernet work between two outlets on different breaker panels?

There's no way to know for sure without going out and testing it. This is why it's always best to find a physical store with a generous return policy to buy adapters from to test if it'll even work, before you buy ones you'll actually use.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's no way to know for sure without going out and testing it. This is why it's always best to find a physical store with a generous return policy to buy adapters from to test if it'll even work, before you buy ones you'll actually use.

I think the older/original stuff had to be on the same breaker panel, but was talking to someone at work about it earlier this spring and he had some more recent gear that worked across panels. But yeah you wanna try it and be able to return it

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
It's also going to be dependent on the style of wiring in your house as well I believe. For example, US house get 240v from the power company, but it's split into two 120v legs. If one room you want to network is on one 120v leg and the router room is on the other 120v leg it won't because of probable poor signal. You would have to install a device between the two legs to relay the signal between them.

The red wire is one 120v leg, the black is the ground, the blue is the second 120v. The only thing connecting one 120v to the other is the ground.

So if the Router was on the Red side of the fuse box and the intended target is on the blue side of the fuse box it may not work at all.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 29, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

stubblyhead posted:

When radioactive isotopes decay into another element what happens to the previously existing bonds? For instance radium is a pretty reactive metal, but decays into radon, which is almost totally inert. How does the breaking of those bonds affect the energy released by the decay itself?

The SA physics thread would probably be the better place to ask. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2880864

For a somewhat layman explanation,it would presumably give off slightly more heat due to the breaking of a chemical bond, followed by a free molecule that would bond to the surrounding material, so no big deal.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 29, 2015

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

The element's identity is determined by the nucleus, but its participation in molecules is determined by its electrons (which reside in a cloud around and outside the nucleus).

If an atom is already bonded when it undergoes radioactive decay, it won't break the bonds just because the nucleus is suddenly different -- the number and structure of electrons outside were unaffected by the change. What might happen is that the energy of the electron cloud changes slightly, since the number of protons in the nucleus will have changed. That could, in turn, slightly change the strength of the molecular bond; I would guess the bonds would generally weaken, but I suppose it's possible that they might strengthen.

Now, in your example you used radium. Radium will rarely (never? not a chemist) bond covalently into a molecule. It will donate an electron (edit: two electrons -- had it in the wrong column mentally) and bond ionically. When it decays into radon, the atom will be electrically neutral, and so no longer attracted to the negatively-charged ion that received the electrons. So in this case, the bond would break, but in a different way and for a different reason than in your original question.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 29, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

How far back does your average pre-employment, non government criminal background check go in the US? I discharged a non-violent felony in 1999, so I'm wondering if I still need to put it on the online applications? I've heard they usually only go back seven years, but have not been able to find too much info.

Is there a maximum time a non-government background check can go?

Is there a standard company most employers use, so I can run my own background check on myself?

I found this with a Google of your question:

quote:

How far back do your criminal record searches go?

All criminal record searches go back seven years.

The length at which records can be searched depends on the record bearer. For example, some courts allow for a quick and efficient search of their records further back than 7 years. The length at which criminal records can be reported to a customer of a consumer reporting agency depends on the type of information being reported as well as applicable federal and state laws that contain prohibitions on reporting certain types of information. As an industry standard, criminal conviction searches date back 7 years. A criminal record search program through Corporate Screening Services will take into consideration, when reporting records, the type of criminal record as well as all applicable state and federal laws. This process increases the integrity of the pre-employment screening program by allowing for a more comprehensive search.

This is from a background check service, and I'd imagine most of them would answer pretty similarly. Looks like 7 years is pretty standard.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Where is that whole open palm slam, chronicles of riddick speech originally from?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Moon Monster posted:

Where is that whole open palm slam, chronicles of riddick speech originally from?

FYAD, about 10 years ago

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
By Greay Alien.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Could a card magician cheat at poker, would they be able to get away with it in vegas?

Is there a thread about magic on the forums?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Crankit posted:

Could a card magician cheat at poker, would they be able to get away with it in vegas?
Being a "card magician" generally entails having control of the cards both before the game (to mark them and set them up in a particular order), and during the game (to ensure they are cut/shuffled in a particular manner and not disturbed or discovered), so no, it wouldn't work in Vegas, much less at your buddy's Friday night poker game. If you hosted poker night at your house and supplied the cards, it's possible you could rip off your friends for a couple hundred before they realized what was going on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever died from sleeping while having really long hair? Like, strangulation from being wrapped around your neck or choking on it somehow?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

Has anyone ever died from sleeping while having really long hair? Like, strangulation from being wrapped around your neck or choking on it somehow?

Technically I don't know the answer but I do have really long hair and I'm pretty sure that's impossible. It's just not the way that hair moves while you're lying down even if you toss and turn.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

tuyop posted:

If you feel strangled, you'll usually wake up, and if the thing strangling you were your own hair, then moving a bit would almost certainly free you. So I think it would be super unlikely, and probably require the person to actually be passed out from alcohol or similar, rather than merely sleeping.

That said, someone tried to make a murder look like it was this sort of accidental death (see http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7879779) and there are a couple of tabloid-esque articles about moms and sisters nearly accidentally strangling a baby in the same bed that way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's a good colloquial opposite for a "paper tiger"?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baquerd posted:

Depending on context, a "wolf in sheep's clothing" can work.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is there a "how do I sell things on the internet" thread? My parents are retiring and they want me to help them get rid of some stuff, and I'd like to be able to do that without getting scammed or stabbed.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Volcott posted:

Is there a "how do I sell things on the internet" thread? My parents are retiring and they want me to help them get rid of some stuff, and I'd like to be able to do that without getting scammed or stabbed.

Most local police stations invite citizens to conduct business in their lobby. It's how I do craigslist now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

baquerd posted:

Another one, depending on context, is "talk softly and carry a big stick."

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Most local police stations invite citizens to conduct business in their lobby. It's how I do craigslist now.

Are you serious? This is amazing

Lemon
May 22, 2003

baquerd posted:

I've always been partial to "an iron fist in a velvet glove".

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

baquerd posted:

retard strength

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do all of the shittiest sites have a list format that makes you click in between each entry on the list. Like, "top ten things that----" and each thing is it's own page. Is it so they can count every page as a click for advertising or something?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That is exactly why.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

NESguerilla posted:

Why do all of the shittiest sites have a list format that makes you click in between each entry on the list. Like, "top ten things that----" and each thing is it's own page. Is it so they can count every page as a click for advertising or something?

yes

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Crankit posted:

Is there a thread about magic on the forums?

It sounds like most of the ways to cheat at poker need access to the deck, and I assume if you so much as breathe on a Vegas poker deck the dealer will set you on fire. The other hard part is even if you manage to finagle yourself a winning hand the other players might not bet.

Also, Vegas security is terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PYROxSYCO
May 14, 2015
I wanna try and be one of those "let's play" people like i.e. "PewdiePie". How over inflated is this genre of entertainment/show business by other people who are trying this?

What do you think are some prerequisites for doing this type of entertainment?