Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Desk Lamp posted:

I don't use the Twitter app, but I assume it should be pretty easy to post pictures to twitter straight from your camera app or gallery via the share menu.

I can take a pic with the camera app then share it in the Twitter app, but Twitter has a button for taking pictures and I'd like that to redirect to the phone's stock app, not twitter's internal app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Extraordinary claim with no substantial evidence. Even if you backed it up you'd still have to make the claim that Samsung's additions were worthwhile.

The evidence is that half of every phone out there is a phone with some flavor of touchwiz.

Who prefers stock? Well, I do, for one, and I imagine so do most people in this thread, but then again we're also the kind of people to go online and post angrily about which smartphone is best. It's just a fact that most people's passion for phones don't go beyond "oh my god I got the latest fuckblaster 2000 from apple/samsung and this camera is SO GOOD now I can instagram better than ever before!" and largely nobody actually cares about Stock vs. Touchwiz vs. Sense vs. who cares.

CLAM DOWN posted:

My senior mother even got a Nexus 6 and loves it

I'm sure your mother is a very nice lady but she probably loves it because of the gigantic screen, just saying. The UI is irrelevant, I doubt your mom has very strong opinions about phone software.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I'll say again as a first time smartphone owner of an HTC One m8; besides the company maybe not supporting too much going forward because of finances... They provide fairly up to date factory images and customization and de-bloat/community CIA roms is quite nice and the heat/performance is supposed to rival the Ill fated m9.
I get 2 days heavy use with several hrs screen on time , very intensive, it was semi-easy to root in its heyday IDK about current though, but Sony was my runner up and I just can't trust their modes opa.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

As I've been attempting to take more videos with the Nexus 6, I'm noticing a nearly constant issue where it does sort of a "pulse" of re-auto-focus every 5 seconds or so. It's really annoying. I'm using the stock camera app and mostly recording 4K video, but I think it's happened with 1080p as well.

From some quick Googling it sounds like this is a pretty widely recognized software issue with the stock camera app, but is there a universally recognized fix, other than using a different camera app? I'll use a different app for video if I have to, but obviously it'd be a lot more convenient not to.

Since this is getting buried right now, I'd like the answer to this too. I tried a few apps (even some that use the Camera2 API) but yeah...

Anyone on Marshmallow Preview 3 know if this is fixed or if the new app uses Camera2 API?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I'm sure your mother is a very nice lady but she probably loves it because of the gigantic screen, just saying. The UI is irrelevant, I doubt your mom has very strong opinions about phone software.

She tried a note 4 at the store and said it was cluttered and confusing so didn't get it :shrug:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So I bought this Samsung galaxy s3 as my first smartphone some years ago, and am currently waiting for the Moto G 2/16 to be available in my region (looks like about a month from now). Ever since I started considering getting a new phone I've been poking my head in threads like this on various places, and all I see is vague poo poo like "all that Samsung poo poo" and "bloatware". And now finally - finally - someone posts about a specific thing touchwiz does.

Do you mean to tell me this handy configurable toggle menu on the top of my notification shade isn't stock Android? And that it's bad for "power users"? Who else but the tech savvy will ever care about enabling or disabling their WiFi or mobile data or Bluetooth at the swipe of a finger?

Does anyone have a link to a list of things that touchwiz does? Because this is making me start to suspect other things my phone does that I like are touchwiz features.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Does anyone have a link to a list of things that touchwiz does? Because this is making me start to suspect other things my phone does that I like are touchwiz features.

If all you know is Touchwiz, don't go any further. You are institutionalized and shouldn't ask any more questions.

In all seriousness you probably are used to and enjoy all that Touchwiz does and that's not so terrible (outside of this thread at least). I'm not a huge fan but drat if Samsung's hardware is unbeatable.

Just Google around for videos of whatever phone vs an S3 or whatever. That should give you an idea of what's different.

I'm willing to bet you won't miss anything when you get a Moto though. When you experience something other than Touchwiz, be sure to come back here and angrypost about how it kills kittens. You'll be in good company.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 31, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

pun pundit posted:

Do you mean to tell me this handy configurable toggle menu on the top of my notification shade isn't stock Android? And that it's bad for "power users"? Who else but the tech savvy will ever care about enabling or disabling their WiFi or mobile data or Bluetooth at the swipe of a finger?

The thing is, you don't need to turn on/off most of that poo poo. Having Bluetooth or NFC on 24/7 is barely a blip on the battery meter. The important toggles are included in stock Android and none of the extraneous ones. (Samsung's 29 different toggles are just that, extraneous)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

pun pundit posted:

So I bought this Samsung galaxy s3 as my first smartphone some years ago, and am currently waiting for the Moto G 2/16 to be available in my region (looks like about a month from now). Ever since I started considering getting a new phone I've been poking my head in threads like this on various places, and all I see is vague poo poo like "all that Samsung poo poo" and "bloatware". And now finally - finally - someone posts about a specific thing touchwiz does.

It's mostly some convenience features added on to Android, off the top of my head that I can think of apart from the toggles:

- Enhanced voice commands: enable Google Now even when the screen is off, answer reject calls with voice, snooze/stop alarms with voice.

-Gestures for calling and texting: swipe left or right on a contact or text message to call or text, put the phone up to your ear when viewing a contact, missed call or text message to place the call. If the phone is ringing on the table you can flip it over to silence it.

-Private mode: hide files behind a password or fingerprint if using a phone equipped with a scanner

- Multiwindow: basically running multiple apps side by side or minimizing them into little bubbles

-Smart stay: the screen will remain on as long as you're looking at it

- The ability to sync Facebook contacts and calendars without third party apps

- Swiping your palm over the screen to take a screenshot

- Setting custom message tone and vibration patterns for each contact, including the ability to create your own custom pattern for some reason

- Being able to set separate wallpapers for the lock screen and home screen.

- Setting text messages to automatically be sent at a specific time and date, blocking numbers.

I'm probably missing a few but you get the idea. Some of these are probably not available on the GS3 given its age, and the Note line adds even more poo poo like dragging and dropping files between apps and highlighting words with the S pen to look them up in the dictionary. Most of these are not enabled by default though, so most people are unaware they even exist.

E:

SB35 posted:

The thing is, you don't need to turn on/off most of that poo poo. Having Bluetooth or NFC on 24/7 is barely a blip on the battery meter. The important toggles are included in stock Android and none of the extraneous ones. (Samsung's 29 different toggles are just that, extraneous)

The thing is, you can customize the toggles to fit your use case, you might want the bluetooth toggle there for when you're getting into your car with someone and don't want your phone pairing and reading your texts aloud for example, so you might have it there. If you never toggle wifi, you can go ahead and switch it out for the Private Mode Toggle, or the screen rotation toggle, maybe Power saving mode, or Do Not Disturb, or whichever ones you use most frequently and would benefit from having most accessible. They also serve as shortcuts to relevant settings, so you might get some use out of that.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 31, 2015

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It actually started life with Eclair - I remember upgrading mine to Gingerbread. Obviously Android was radically different then, but is repartitioning really a risk to your phone? As long as you make each partition large enough, what problems may arise?
When it comes to samsungs, at least back in the s2 days, it used a PIT instead of a "regular" partition table. The way you repartitioned the s2 was by uploading a new PIT-file.

If you used a bad PIT-file or hosed up the proportions, you bricked it.

You could make your own PIT, but you had to follow certain rules regarding the size of the partitions, so just any size wasn't good enough. This was a couple of years ago, so I might be misremembering the details, but it really is needlessly complicated for some devices. Even the cyanogenmod mods told me to buy a new device rather than mess around with this stuff.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Desk Lamp posted:

-Gestures for calling and texting

-(...)blocking numbers.
Thanks for the list!

These two are the only ones I use with any frequency except the toggles. Living without gesture calling and texting won't be so hard. Blocking numbers I use to block telemarketing call centers as and when they call me. Can this be enabled in stock Android without rooting?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I want to replace my ailing N4 and I'd like a dual SIM phone that isn't an enormous piece of crap. Basically if there was a 4g version of the dual SIM moto g I'd probably live with that.

If the zenphone 2 any good or are there other recommendations? (In the UK)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Daily Forecast posted:

Here's the thing: stock Android is loving garbage for the vast majority of smartphone users, you know, the ones who use them as facebook/twitter/instagram machines, who take pictures of their food at restaurants and show their friends pictures of their cats (yes I realize the irony). Something bubbly and friendly like Touchwiz is perfect for non power users (who are such a vanishingly small market that they're irrelevant) and Samsung knows this.

I mean, what, did you think that literally one of out every two Android phones ever sold is a Samsung because they are a bad company with terrible phones?

lmao

Like, I don't care about TW too much, but all of this post is just wrong, misguided, or just clueless conjecture.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

pun pundit posted:

Thanks for the list!

These two are the only ones I use with any frequency except the toggles. Living without gesture calling and texting won't be so hard. Blocking numbers I use to block telemarketing call centers as and when they call me. Can this be enabled in stock Android without rooting?
You can't block calls in stock, but you can add them to a contact and set that contact as straight to voicemail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of my friends had their work change from iPhones to Galaxy S4S. She's a UX designer by trade. She often came to me with 'android' questions since I've used it forever. I lost track of how many times I had to say things like "Huh, I haven't seen that before" or "I'm not sure because that's not the way stock android works."

She switched jobs and no longer had a company phone and wasn't keen on spending $800 to go back to Apple so I told her to try out the 2014 Moto X. After only an hour of use her response was "This is so much less cluttered and makes a hell of a lot more sense."

Samsung phones aren't junk. They generally work well and are physically well put together. However, they do very much suffer from Samsung's corporate culture in general which is "everything including the kitchen sink and be in your face about it."

For example, my Turbo also has the ability to sense whether or not you are looking at the screen. There was a single prompt asking me when I first setup if I wanted to use Attentive display and there are two toggle settings under Display in the main settings to leave the display on if there's face detection and time the display out quicker if it doesn't see a face. There isn't some quick setting toggle for it or some widget or anything like that. I actually had to just now look to see what the setting was called in the settings because I set it once and forgot about it because it just works. There's zero practical reason to need a toggle for this or a persistent notification telling me it's on and working.

Yes, you can remove the toggle from the expanded notification shade with the most recent versions of Touchwiz, but it wasn't something that was ever needed to begin with. There isn't a use case that requires the toggling of this feature on and off quickly. You either want to use it or you don't and that decision probably happens once.

I would say the same thing for the row of toggles, brightness slider, S Finder, and Quick Connect that come up on top all the time on the current version of Touchwiz. That takes a significant amount of real estate in the notification shade and adds a lot of visual clutter when all you are doing is looking at notifications. Android let's you access an expanded notification shade with either a double swipe or a single two finger swipe, so there's not a ton of justification why they need to be there all the time when you are just looking at notifications, but those toggles in the expanded shade and hide them for the 95% of the time you aren't using them. It's little UI annoyances like that.

However, on top of everything else right now, Samsung phones are hard to recommend anymore because they simply cost too drat much. The era of the $600-$800 smartphone is dead and Samsung seems pathologically unable to make a decent, well supported, mid to low end device. The sooner they address this, the better.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Haven't heard much marketing for the Moto X since it was announced. It's still coming out this week, right?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I'm loving this Nexus 6. I have giant ham hands so having a phone that matches is really nice. I can finally type with both thumbs while in portrait mode!

Battery seems to last about as long as a laptop's though which is a shame. Any good apps for reducing battery use and such? I forget if that's snake oil or what. (Also, if one of you guys can recommend places where I can get notification sounds I'd be grateful, the default ones are kind of quiet and I miss the Moto X ones that had punch).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm loving this Nexus 6. I have giant ham hands so having a phone that matches is really nice. I can finally type with both thumbs while in portrait mode!

Battery seems to last about as long as a laptop's though which is a shame. Any good apps for reducing battery use and such? I forget if that's snake oil or what. (Also, if one of you guys can recommend places where I can get notification sounds I'd be grateful, the default ones are kind of quiet and I miss the Moto X ones that had punch).

I've always liked Oringz.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Found this on the Moto X subreddit

It's a bit interesting that the 32 GB version is the $399 one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

That's also an internal Sprint marketing page, so I would bank on the incompetence of Sprint.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

5.7"? Jfc

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

bull3964 posted:

There's zero practical reason to need a toggle for this or a persistent notification telling me it's on and working.

Yes, you can remove the toggle from the expanded notification shade with the most recent versions of Touchwiz, but it wasn't something that was ever needed to begin with. There isn't a use case that requires the toggling of this feature on and off quickly. You either want to use it or you don't and that decision probably happens once.

The exception to this for me is I personally toggle mine on when I'm reading eBooks as I have my screen timer set pretty low and unlike a video playing my screen is more then happy to dim and then turn off if I'm not tapping the page constantly. I'm a slow reader!

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
How bad is it that it's a TFT screen?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thermopyle posted:

Like, I don't care about TW too much, but all of this post is just wrong, misguided, or just clueless conjecture.

"Most people don't care about touchwiz" is pretty much inevitable fact, so I'm not sure what you're trying to even say here.

bull3964 posted:

One of my friends had their work change from iPhones to Galaxy S4S. She's a UX designer by trade. She often came to me with 'android' questions since I've used it forever. I lost track of how many times I had to say things like "Huh, I haven't seen that before" or "I'm not sure because that's not the way stock android works."

She switched jobs and no longer had a company phone and wasn't keen on spending $800 to go back to Apple so I told her to try out the 2014 Moto X. After only an hour of use her response was "This is so much less cluttered and makes a hell of a lot more sense."
That's cool and I'm glad she likes it better, but Touchwiz is designed to be an easy-to-use fisher price UI so it's not like it's difficult or anything.

bull3964 posted:

However, on top of everything else right now, Samsung phones are hard to recommend anymore because they simply cost too drat much. The era of the $600-$800 smartphone is dead and Samsung seems pathologically unable to make a decent, well supported, mid to low end device. The sooner they address this, the better.

This, however, is true, but it's also a problem with pretty much every manufacturer still, isn't it? Motorola is kind of the only company who sees the writing on the wall and are starting to change their business model, this $200 Moto G does everything anybody could ever want in a phone, but then there's still people who literally are going to camp the Apple stores days in advance around this country so they can get the new iFucker 6S on a ludicrously expensive contract before all of their friends do.

So I'm not sure that's Samsung's fault. I'd love to see them bring their J line to the US, though.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 31, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Klowns posted:

The exception to this for me is I personally toggle mine on when I'm reading eBooks as I have my screen timer set pretty low and unlike a video playing my screen is more then happy to dim and then turn off if I'm not tapping the page constantly. I'm a slow reader!

Why not leave it on all the time though? Why are you turning it off?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
touch wiz

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Triggered

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Tsyni posted:

5.7"? Jfc

It shouldn't be too long until the Xperia Z5 Compact is announced.

Klowns
May 13, 2009

Laugh At Me Will They?

bull3964 posted:

Why not leave it on all the time though? Why are you turning it off?

In pretty much all other circumstances I like my screen-off timer as is since it's just long enough to glance at a text/Email/weather. A slide and tap is less effort then going into settings to change my screen timer.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Klowns posted:

I use Screebl on my phone for the exact same purpose. It leaves your phone screen on if it's not laying flat. (You can turn it off easily when you're not using it.)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rastor posted:

It shouldn't be too long until the Xperia Z5 Compact is announced.

And here I am still looking for the Z3. I wonder will it be worth the extra dough. I will never understand this upward trend in phone sizes.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I don't believe for a second that the 32GB is $399 because everything else leaked suggested it would be 16GB IIRC.

But if its true, it's amazing.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

My S6 Edge + is really cool and I've talked three people into getting the new Samsung phones.

I also had a coworker hate the Nexus so much he returned it and got an iPhone. He also agrees my Samsung is awesome.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

codo27 posted:

And here I am still looking for the Z3. I wonder will it be worth the extra dough. I will never understand this upward trend in phone sizes.

It's just human psychology factors, the same reason commercial music recordings had a drive to higher and higher loudness and the default ("showroom") setting on TVs had a drive to higher and higher artificial noise reduction and excess saturation.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Daily Forecast posted:

That's cool and I'm glad she likes it better, but Touchwiz is designed to be an easy-to-use fisher price UI so it's not like it's difficult or anything.

Don't mistake "difficult" for "not enjoyable to use." It's not a difficult thing to be bombarded by quick notification toggles, but it does get annoying that your priority notifications are halfway down the screen because so much space is taken up by settings you weren't in there to access in the first place.

Hell, I have one friend who has been on Samsung phones since he switched from the iPhone 3gs. He's had an original S, a SkyRocket, an S4 Active, and now and S6 Active. He also has a Samsung tablet. Even with that kind of brand loyalty, he has this to say on TouchWiz. "I'm used to it now so it really doesn't bother me much."

'Doesn't bother me much' isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

People historically have bought Samsung devices because they are built well, have forward looking specs, cameras above their contemporaries, and are marketed well. Touchwiz may factor into the brand identity some there, but my experience with other people is a lot of the quirky elements that make up Touchwiz are things that people tolerate rather than seek out.

I'm not saying that Samsung phones need to be visually the same as stock. Just that some of the stuff they have isn't really stuff that their users actually want and find useful. They are slowly getting that idea.

quote:

This, however, is true, but it's also a problem with pretty much every manufacturer still, isn't it? Motorola is kind of the only company who sees the writing on the wall and are starting to change their business model, this $200 Moto G does everything anybody could ever want in a phone, but then there's still people who literally are going to camp the Apple stores days in advance around this country so they can get the new iFucker 6S on a ludicrously expensive contract before all of their friends do.

So I'm not sure that's Samsung's fault. I'd love to see them bring their J line to the US, though.

Only Samsung though heavily weights their portfolio in the upper end. Aside from a few niche models here and there, LG, HTC, and Moto all have clear flagships that can be had for under $600 with the base storage option. For Samsung, the S6 is only where their real phone line starts. From there, you have the S6 Active, S6 Edge, S6 Edge +, and Note 5. Samsung has 4 mainstream models above their 'flagship' model. It's time for them to discard all of their low end, start with the S7 at a reasonable $350-$400 price, and go up from there.

Klowns posted:

In pretty much all other circumstances I like my screen-off timer as is since it's just long enough to glance at a text/Email/weather. A slide and tap is less effort then going into settings to change my screen timer.

That still makes zero sense to me. The function is to keep the screen on as long as you are looking at it and otherwise have a short timeout. Set the timer really low and use the function to keep the screen on when you are looking at it. There shouldn't be any need to toggle that function. The whole point of the function is to keep you from having to change timeout values.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 31, 2015

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

It's time for them to discard all of their low end, start with the S7 at a reasonable $350-$400 price, and go up from there.

Gonna start holding my breath now

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Would the new Moto X pure be an upgrade or a sidegrade from an LG G3? Mostly curious about the hardware as I run CM12 on the G3.

Also, my GF has a Moto X and the notification/button bars are pretty much burned into her screen at this point, is this just something to expect on non-OLED screens?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Syrinxx posted:

Would the new Moto X pure be an upgrade or a sidegrade from an LG G3? Mostly curious about the hardware as I run CM12 on the G3.

Here's a comparison of the two:

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-X-Style,LG-G3/phones/9553,8347

quote:

Also, my GF has a Moto X and the notification/button bars are pretty much burned into her screen at this point, is this just something to expect on non-OLED screens?

Screen burn-in is more common on OLED screens. The new Moto X Pure doesn't have an OLED screen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

The 808 is a pretty large upgrade over the 801 in the G3. It will be a ton more power efficient and has a much faster GPU.

quote:

That's something to expect on OLED screens. Non-OLED screens don't suffer from those sorts of issues (much, they can suffer from image retention under some circumstances.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Daily Forecast posted:

but then there's still people who literally are going to camp the Apple stores days in advance around this country so they can get the new iFucker 6S on a ludicrously expensive contract before all of their friends do.

Apple fans are willing to pay for an experience they value at the retail end, in device use, and in post-sale support. Are you so angrily dismissive of their enjoyment of their product experience due to jealousy of the process, the buyers' ability to not have to prioritize price, or because you're aware that an equivalent experience does not exist for buyers of any other brand?

Or is it simply because they're happy with what they're doing and you aren't?

It never fails to amuse me how angry people get that Apple creates things that people love and that people love the things they create.