Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm expected to get a textbook for some stupid mandatory sports and rec philosophy class that costs $250. Not doing it. You can make me take the course, but I'm not buying your dumb book.

My math text is a special edition created just for the school, $150 and apparently the literal only reason to have it is that it's bundled with some kind of access code used to do the homework.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I've never come across this code thing thank god. My professors were always really apologetic when they picked an expensive book and were really helpful about saying which editions were basically the same thing. I find it kind of hard to believe that so many profs will start the year with a giant "gently caress you" to the whole class like that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

My german classes had a code book and it was also some dumbass special version that you could only get from the university. Even better it didn't come with unimportant features like "binding," it was just on loving loose leaf paper, so you had to carry the huge thing around in a 3 ring binder which would eat through the pages in any part of the book you visited too often.

My physics classes also had a code (mastering physics anyone? eh? eh?) :suicide: but those entire classes were giant goddamn gently caress-yous I shouldn't have had to take anyway. Worst summer of my life.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

gently caress Pearson, gently caress McGraw-Hill, gently caress them gently caress them gently caress them. Webassign wasn't too bad at all for calc 1-3 though. I mean, I'd rather have not had to pay $150 for a stupid one time use code, but it was good especially compared to the other shite.

My circuits class this semester says old editions of the book are ok, so I started lookin at the usual places and all the old used copies are...$5 less than a brand new copy. Thankfully it's only a mere $125! And of course it's co-written by one of the professors :shepface:.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

There's a guy in my classes who is the literal archetype of a goon. Every time this guy speaks in class I want to ask him about the stairs in his house.

Other than that, gently caress online math homework forever.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

MasteringPhysics and a code for my Spanish class from Vista Higher Learning. Once I add in the lab books for physics, those two classes came out to $300. :smithicide: Good thing I already owned my calc book and could rent my data structures book for $30.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A White Guy posted:

There's a guy in my classes who is the literal archetype of a goon. Every time this guy speaks in class I want to ask him about the stairs in his house.

Oh, that's you in class! :v:

My economics professor was at least understanding about how students were getting screwed. Not enough to choose curriculum that didn't make them purchase an access code to do their work, but at least he outright said, "Don't buy the book; read it online." I'm furious over my previously mentioned biology professor (who is painfully awful as a lecturer, often goes off topic with random things he decides to put on the test and is factually incorrect about, and thinks he's a comedian) outright lying to students regarding the required textbook being an edition only available through the school book store. Apparently I don't even need the book, but not showing up to lab without it penalizes me. This would be the same class that requires purchase of a binder of notes because they hadn't screwed us over enough yet. I swear next semester I may just counterfeit their binder and sell them for half the price.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Well my first class of the day just got cancelled at the last minute because the professor fell down on his way over to the room and hurt his face. He apparently flagged some guy down in the hall and had him come over to our room to tell everyone in class what happened.

This would be more amusing (the getting-out-of-class part, I mean; not the professor-hurting-himself part) if I didn't need desperate help on a homework assignment that's supposed to be due next class. The professor was supposed to have office hours this afternoon, but I have a feeling it's probably not gonna happen now, and I'm not sure whether he's good to answer emails today or not. The class also doesn't have a TA yet, so there's not really anyone else I can ask for help right now, except for other students in the class who may or may not know what they're doing.

There's one more office hour tomorrow, but gently caress I was really hoping to get some of this poo poo out of the way today. And since this professor is an old guy, depending on how bad he's hurt, that other office hour may not happen either, in which case I'd basically be stuck hoping the due date is postponed.

I. M. Gei has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Sep 1, 2015

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Well my first class of the day just got cancelled at the last minute because the professor fell down on his way over to the room and hurt his face. He apparently flagged some guy down in the hall and had him come over to our room to tell everyone in class what happened.

This would be more amusing (the getting-out-of-class part, I mean; not the professor-hurting-himself part) if I didn't need desperate help on a homework assignment that's supposed to be due next class. The professor was supposed to have office hours this afternoon, but I have a feeling it's probably not gonna happen now, and I'm not sure whether he's good to answer emails today or not. The class also doesn't have a TA yet, so there's not really anyone else I can ask for help right now, except for other students in the class who may or may not know what they're doing.

There's one more office hour tomorrow, but gently caress I was really hoping to get some of this poo poo out of the way today. And since this professor is an old guy, depending on how bad he's hurt, that other office hour may not happen either, in which case I'd basically be stuck hoping the due date is postponed.

Yeah the professor hurt himself but what about my problems?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
My A&P class has a required lab, which I was expecting, but also some kind of weekly required study hall class--which I was not. I didn't have a scheduling problem (I work from home) but I felt real bad for everybody else that thought they had their schedule settled before school started, only to find out about this thing on the first day.

We're supposed to use the time to do homework or whatever, including online stuff, but the internet is terrible (especially for McGraw Hill's Flash-heavy poo poo) so I spent most of the time trying to get online and then watching loading bars fill up. Plus everyone in the room is talking away which isn't great for studying anyway.

It's a dumb requirement.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Living with a foreign exchange student from Taiwan:

I can't convince him to flush toilet paper down the toilet. Instead, he keeps throwing his used TP in the trash next to the toilet.

He keeps turning the air to 90 degrees and boiling water to make the apartment hotter.

Conversing with him isn't working and neither is passive aggressively turning the air down. What the gently caress do I do?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Grump posted:

I can't convince him to flush toilet paper down the toilet. Instead, he keeps throwing his used TP in the trash next to the toilet.

He keeps turning the air to 90 degrees and boiling water to make the apartment hotter.

Conversing with him isn't working and neither is passive aggressively turning the air down. What the gently caress do I do?

Kick his loving rear end

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Grump posted:

That is loving disgusting :barf:

You really have to drill it in his head that it's unacceptable for him to act like that somehow. Is there a landlord/apartment representative you can talk to about it?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I'm going to try putting a note next to the toilet. Will report back.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Grump posted:

Dump the poo poo trash in his room.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Grump posted:

I'm going to try putting a note next to the toilet. Will report back.

I think throwing poo poo paper in a bin and turning the heat to 90 is way past the territory of notes. Corner his disgusting rear end and let him know that poo poo ain't happening and if he doesn't capitulate then

Austrian mook posted:

Kick his loving rear end

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Is Taiwan one of those places with pipes that can't handle TP?

If you've already tried the direct approach, I'd say just take the trash can out of the bathroom until the message gets across.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

How Rude posted:

That is loving disgusting :barf:

In some places (like in St. Petersburg and Russia in general) the piping can't handle the extra pressure caused by the toilet paper, so it is not _that_ uncommon habit.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Der Kyhe posted:

In some places (like in St. Petersburg and Russia in general) the piping can't handle the extra pressure caused by the toilet paper, so it is not _that_ uncommon habit.

I get people in my work that do the same thing, I asked to post a sign that assures our patrons that our plumbing can handle TP and to not just throw it in the corner, but I was told I couldn't.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I have two crim courses back to back with the same prof, and she's using the same slides from the previous class and Im the only student whos in both. This owns.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

This is the fourth week of school and I still haven't gotten all of my financial aid money because the university is doing something new and kinda shady with our prepaid tuition funds.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So that terrible professor I was complaining about earlier died this morning. I may have hated him as a teacher, but that really sucks all around.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hummingbirds posted:

This is the fourth week of school and I still haven't gotten all of my financial aid money because the university is doing something new and kinda shady with our prepaid tuition funds.

Schools have been doing...odd things with aid. My school decided not to disburse leftover money until at least two weeks into the semester which means "gently caress you" if you want to do things like buy books or live off campus and pay rent on time. Granted I think some of that has to do with the madness going on with government budgets. The same school disbursed student funding it hasn't even gotten from the state yet so I guess there's that. The state, in its infinite wisdom, has been doing shutdown stuff similar to the federal shutdown which, of course, means "we ain't paying for poo poo."

We have a Republican-run state government led by a Democrat governor after having a massive poo poo bag of a Republican governor. Guess what they just love doing when it comes to education? Which I guess is not a college complaint, exactly, but it directly affects colleges so whatever.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hummingbirds posted:

I haven't even asked for financial aid yet. My FAFSA is submitted, but I loving HATE talking to the financial aid office, because every time I do it seems like there's an appeal form I have to fill out for some committee, and you can only do so many of those before they start robbing you of your sanity.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo, I'm at my wits end. I mentioned before that a prof I had was sharing all of her Google Drive documents with me, she claimed to have deleted all of my contact info.

Over the past month I've received 50 documents in my shared folder, all from her. 6 just today. What is she doing? How is she so incompetent? I just don't understand. I wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt and not bring it up with her superiors, but if she's this useless, I think I really have to now.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

The gently caress is it with people and not bathing at this college. There is always that one smelly rear end dude sitting right next to me in every loving class.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My math class has a table of guys that I just know are Reddit-style MRA poo poo heads. And a freshman that thinks he's smarter than literally everybody else on campus, even the professors, because he tested out of two levels of calculus. He constantly tries to demonstrate how smart he is in class. It's really, really irritating.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My math class has a table of guys that I just know are Reddit-style MRA poo poo heads. And a freshman that thinks he's smarter than literally everybody else on campus, even the professors, because he tested out of two levels of calculus. He constantly tries to demonstrate how smart he is in class. It's really, really irritating.

There's always one

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Yay more fun with Attendance Tracker! At least it was widespread this time tho, so the department had to sit up and take notice.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

An entire calendar month after the start of the fall semester, the university has finally disbursed my prepaid tuition funds to me, which are not aid, or a scholarship, but MY OWN loving MONEY. They changed their system for handling prepaid without any kind of notice, leaving every poor college kid who was depending on that money completely in the dark.

I graduate in spring 2016. Only one more semester only one more semester

Astrofig posted:

Yay more fun with Attendance Tracker! At least it was widespread this time tho, so the department had to sit up and take notice.

What's this? The closest thing we have is requiring iclickers in the massive low level lectures.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Hummingbirds posted:

What's this? The closest thing we have is requiring iclickers in the massive low level lectures.

If it's like the system the local state university uses, it's a global computerized attendance tracking program. Professors have to enter the daily class attendance into some bulky, slow-rear end program, which then generates reports on each student's overall attendance rate on a regular basis and warns advisors if the rate drops too low.

I think it was a(n unfunded) state mandate. Nobody really uses it or pays attention to it here. It can be set up to send alerts to your parents' phones or email if you start slipping but obviously nobody elects for that because it's dumb as hell.

"Madysynn, I just got a text saying that you have missed PHIL 101 four times this semester, what's the deal?"

"Dad I have a 101.3% in that course, skipping because I'm hung the gently caress over once in a while isn't going to hurt me. Oh and there's also that whole 'I'M A loving ADULT' thing"

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Grump posted:

Here's my solution: I'm moving into a new apartment on Friday.

I've never met someone so stubborn and stuck to their ways in my life. If I was visiting a foreign country, you'd bet your rear end I'd do as they do (for the things that matter.) I don't care how xenophobic I sound. gently caress this kid

E: I've caught him wearing a surgical mask around campus. We're in the mountains of PA. The air is the farthest thing from being polluted. Jesus

teen phone cutie has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Sep 23, 2015

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Grump posted:

Here's my solution: I'm moving into a new apartment on Friday.

I've never met someone so stubborn and stuck to their ways in my life. If I was visiting a foreign country, you'd bet your rear end I'd do as they do (for the things that matter.) I don't care how xenophobic I sound. gently caress this kid

E: I've caught him wearing a surgical mask around campus. We're in the mountains of PA. The air is the farthest thing from being polluted. Jesus

Does he have a contagious illness? That's one reason for wearing surgical masks.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012

Forceholy posted:

Does he have a contagious illness? That's one reason for wearing surgical masks.
I wish it would catch on here, I want to go to class with a head cold and not get my group sick (or vice versa).

Complaint: there's a guy in my group who ain't done poo poo and has now started ignoring my emails.

Bomrek has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Sep 23, 2015

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Forceholy posted:

No

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So my terrible now-deceased professor left behind one final gently caress you: an exam so poorly written that it has the entire 1700 person class in a complete uproar. Given how lovely his "teaching" style had been I was half-expecting this but I was unprepared for the sheer quantity of poorly phrased, contradictory, and outright wrong information on the exam. It was so bad that by 8am the next morning the new professor who has inherited this rear end in a top hat's mess sent out an e-mail begging people to stop e-mailing him about how bad the exam was. The impression I have is that he's going to do something about it but whether it's invalidate all the terrible questions (about a quarter of the exam) or just offer some kind of alternative credit I don't know. I am grateful that I definitely won't be dealing with bad professor's exams for the rest of the semester. After that fiasco there's no way he doesn't rewrite it.

The new guy seems decent enough. He's at least trying to teach the class rather than rapidly running through a list of information without drawing any connections to things.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Finally got the right forms to send to the IRS last week to get my wife's IRS official transcript. Now just have to check the mail every single day to get this once piece of paper to submit so that I can finally complete my FAFSA. Then just 10 business days to process my payment and I'll be set. It should be done right before finals. I am so glad that two full time people working part time making under 20K each need additional forms to ensure that yes, we are poor.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

1700 person class

how

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Well, once the bottom rows get full, they start stacking them 6 high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If it's like the system the local state university uses, it's a global computerized attendance tracking program. Professors have to enter the daily class attendance into some bulky, slow-rear end program, which then generates reports on each student's overall attendance rate on a regular basis and warns advisors if the rate drops too low.

I think it was a(n unfunded) state mandate. Nobody really uses it or pays attention to it here. It can be set up to send alerts to your parents' phones or email if you start slipping but obviously nobody elects for that because it's dumb as hell.

"Madysynn, I just got a text saying that you have missed PHIL 101 four times this semester, what's the deal?"

"Dad I have a 101.3% in that course, skipping because I'm hung the gently caress over once in a while isn't going to hurt me. Oh and there's also that whole 'I'M A loving ADULT' thing"

Yeah, apparently the way it works is that each student in a class section is automatically marked absent by the software, and it's up to the professor to manually go in and mark the students present. Well, this past weekend there were no classes because of the holiday, so no one got marked present. As a result a ton of us were suddenly getting emails asking if we'd stopped attending and warning that we would have to pay back any financial aid we received.

• Locked thread