Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I had high hopes for this week but I'm having difficulty seeing where he's going with the Mavis thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlton Minter
Jul 22, 2015

You gotta be so predictable that it's unpredictable
I have been wondering how is Makarov one of the ten wizard saints when all he does is grow his body parts? In my opinion that's not 10 wizard saints material.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Carlton Minter posted:

I have been wondering how is Makarov one of the ten wizard saints when all he does is grow his body parts? In my opinion that's not 10 wizard saints material.

well he could do fairy law, that's got to count for something.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Carlton Minter posted:

Hank Pym made the roster of the Avengers when his major combat skill was "grow big, punch stuff" so I am okay with Makarov being on the Wizard Avengers.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Makarov owns. I don't really like his new beard though.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Mavis is going to accidentally Yuriy, isn't she?

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Zogundar posted:

Mavis is going to accidentally Yuriy, isn't she?

As in Mavis is Makarov's mother? (FT Zero cannon be damned).

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

jiffypop45 posted:

As in Mavis is Makarov's mother? (FT Zero cannon be damned).

No, I mean she's going to accidentally [kill] him.

I got the impression that his mother was just Someone, I don't think Mavis can have children.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Nilbop posted:

He's a fantastic artist.

He's just the most bland, blatantly derivative writer I've ever read. He'll write anything he thinks will make his story sell more to more people.
:( Makes me sad because some parts of the action are good, the pacing sometimes is excellent (when they broke into the demon stronghold) but then it just gets thrown sideways. Natsu rampaging has never actually gone to completion, it's always met by a strong enemy who overpowers him, then something happens and they fight again this time FOR MY FRIENDS.... comeon just once bring out the rear end whooping without friends bullshit. Maybe if he wasn't such a 1D character we'd actually get something.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
I thought this week was going to have a lot, but it was really just fairy tail zero. Was the ending really supposed to be a cliffhanger?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

:( Makes me sad because some parts of the action are good, the pacing sometimes is excellent (when they broke into the demon stronghold) but then it just gets thrown sideways. Natsu rampaging has never actually gone to completion, it's always met by a strong enemy who overpowers him, then something happens and they fight again this time FOR MY FRIENDS.... comeon just once bring out the rear end whooping without friends bullshit. Maybe if he wasn't such a 1D character we'd actually get something.

He's not a bad writer either, some of the early fights back when fusions actually meant anything and erza didn't just nakedmiko every fight were fun to read. It's just too easy to churn out barely acceptable pulp

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Monaghan posted:

well he could do fairy law, that's got to count for something.

I wonder if Mashima is going to explain how others can use Law. Considering what it did to Mavis when she used it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

kohon posted:

I wonder if Mashima is going to explain how others can use Law. Considering what it did to Mavis when she used it.

Mavis used Law before she'd fully mastered it, IIRC.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 25, 2015

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

kohon posted:

The same answer to absolutely everything.

Because we are Fairy Tail!!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

pinegala posted:

He's not a bad writer either, some of the early fights back when fusions actually meant anything and erza didn't just nakedmiko every fight were fun to read. It's just too easy to churn out barely acceptable pulp

To be fair if you skip thinking about your story you can churn out a lot more pages, which is the only explanation for Mashima's insane output.

Carlton Minter
Jul 22, 2015

kohon posted:

I thought this week was going to have a lot, but it was really just fairy tail zero. Was the ending really supposed to be a cliffhanger?

They end on a cliffhanger every episode

Carlton Minter
Jul 22, 2015

Carlton Minter posted:

I mean all he can do is grow his body parts but look at Jura he can control earth/ rock. That's top ten material, but growing your body parts i don't think that really is.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Carlton Minter posted:

I mean all he can do is grow his body parts but look at Jura he can control earth/ rock. That's top ten material, but growing your body parts i don't think that really is.

:greencube:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wow, that's kinda dark for Fairy Tail of all things.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Chapter Link

Fabricated posted:

Wow, that's kinda dark for Fairy Tail of all things.

Yeah, that's pretty hosed up.

How do you contract the curse anyway? A certain level of power and love things too much you gets the curse, Zeref contagion, over use of Fairy Law?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Now if only Zeref could love himself...

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Gyges posted:

Chapter Link

How do you contract the curse anyway? A certain level of power and love things too much you gets the curse, Zeref contagion, over use of Fairy Law?

I think its probably the penalty for using incomplete magic like Mavis did during Zero. Think Zeref said he did that too. The Fairy Law that the guild uses is the completed version. (i hope.)

e: Chapter 10 and 11 of Zero has Mavis using Law which is the incomplete version that Zeref used and maybe taught her. Fairy Law is the completed version that Mavis made without the curse penalty.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 31, 2015

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Zeref's characterization actually makes sense now that it's clear the contradictory motivations are intentional.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I didn't expect fairy tail to get Dark, kinda blindsided me with how well executed the end was.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kuroyama posted:

Am I wrong for wanting everything involving Alvarez and Lumen Histoire to be an elaborate scheme concocted by Zeref to get a date with Mavis?

Called it?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

[spoiler]I think its probably the penalty for using incomplete magic like Mavis did during Zero. Think Zeref said he did that too. The Fairy Law that the guild uses is the completed version. (i hope.)
IMO it's less from the incomplete magic and more from becoming immortal, regardless of how exactly you reached that state. A rather cruel form of equivalent exchange. (Well at this stage it's more punishment than equivalent exchange)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 31, 2015

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

That is one hell of an equivalent exchange.

Magic: "Hey! You're ageless! But in exchange..."
Cursed Fool: "I didn't even wan--"
Magic: "In exchange, everything around you will die if you love life!"
Cursed Fool: :sigh:

Kuroyama posted:

Called it?

Niiice. :golfclap:

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That is one hell of an equivalent exchange.

Magic: "Hey! You're ageless! But in exchange..."
Cursed Fool: "I didn't even wan--"
Magic: "In exchange, everything around you will die if you love life!"
Cursed Fool: :sigh:

Niiice. :golfclap:

The exchange is more like a person being allowed to save everyone they love and destroys their enemies, but he's then cursed to wander around causing death for an eternity. so in that way, it works.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The biggest problem is that while the series is legit interesting now (because we actually established why the bad guy is bad and what the backstories/motivations for the characters are outside of "power of nakama,") it feels 300 chapters too late to start getting interesting. Why did we need 300 chapters of Natsu fighting miniboss squads in stripper outfits again?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem is that while the series is legit interesting now (because we actually established why the bad guy is bad and what the backstories/motivations for the characters are outside of "power of nakama,") it feels 300 chapters too late to start getting interesting. Why did we need 300 chapters of Natsu fighting miniboss squads in stripper outfits again?

Because a bunch of dudes with different magic powers punching each other in the face is awesome.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gyges posted:

Chapter Link

Zeref got the curse for trying to bring the dead back to life. Mavis got it from utilizing an incomplete version of of Zeref's life taking magic.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
Iirc, Zeref taught all four founders some magic, so I wonder if this will ever come into play.

Also, ironically, Mavis used Law as a last resort to save Yuriy, so we wouldn't have Makarov if not for that. Poor Mavis... I think she became my favorite after Zero.

I wonder if Mashima will explain how Yuriy dies and who raised Makarov.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
Well I was close about who was going to buy the farm. :smith:

Unrelated:

Does Makarov know who Natsu really is? At the moment I can't remember why, but for some reason I've got in my head that he either knew everything all along, or suspects.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Zogundar posted:

Well I was close about who was going to buy the farm. :smith:

Unrelated:

Does Makarov know who Natsu really is? At the moment I can't remember why, but for some reason I've got in my head that he either knew everything all along, or suspects.

I think on a previous chapter Zeref outright tells Makarov he's after Natsu but I can't remember if he tells him why.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I'm on the Tenrou Island arc and this is getting kind of not so good now. Does the crazy over use of "My Friendship!" take a back seat after this or does it keep on trucking? Because I'm kind of hard pressed to think of any other series where characters are so blatantly out matched and going on at length about how defeated they are before going "But my friends!" and then winning in one hit.

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

Nuebot posted:

So I'm on the Tenrou Island arc and this is getting kind of not so good now. Does the crazy over use of "My Friendship!" take a back seat after this or does it keep on trucking? Because I'm kind of hard pressed to think of any other series where characters are so blatantly out matched and going on at length about how defeated they are before going "But my friends!" and then winning in one hit.

Tenrou is one of the better arcs but, there's a lot of "NAKAMA POWER" there too. I honestly find Mashima's fan service to be annoying than the "power of friendship" deus ex machina trope but, if that's what bugs you it doesn't really get better. Though the series definitely does good things in spite of it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

jiffypop45 posted:

Tenrou is one of the better arcs but, there's a lot of "NAKAMA POWER" there too. I honestly find Mashima's fan service to be annoying than the "power of friendship" deus ex machina trope but, if that's what bugs you it doesn't really get better. Though the series definitely does good things in spite of it.

It's not that it happens, it's the degree to which it happens. One Piece does it all the time too, but it's usually to pull out a win after what's generally a mostly equal fight. The last fight I just read had Erza just getting completely wrecked but then friendship happened and she cut a dude in half. :shrug:

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
The Erza fight on Tenrou went overboard on nakama power. Honestly I don't get annoyed when Lucy wins on nakama power with her spirits because I feel like it's an integral part of her magic.

I also think that's one reason I like Cana. She tried using nakama power, but it didn't work.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
After Tenrou I don't think you ever get that same level of totally defeated, but FRIENDS *win*. Friends and the Guild are still an integral part of powering up, but they tend to be the reason to dig in and find more magic than the how.

Plus Erza's "gently caress you, this one's for the homies" moment next arc is totally cool and worth it. Really, all of the next arc's For The Guild moments are pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Luxus' rebellion and parts of the magic tournament were I think the best arcs. Also my biggest problem with FT is the usual shounen problem where it's almost always Natsu who resolves things and who is also the least interesting character. He's certainly no Luffy as a shounen MC.

• Locked thread