Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If you're doing extreme primals you kind of should have to do the extra stuff to prep for it, including cross leveling complimentary classes. It's why I need to level MRD to get mercy stroke for PLD :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Wiped 10 times on BisEX last night and never got into phase 3. :smithicide:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

BisEX is great in that it really forces DPS players to get good and know what they're doing to clear.

BisEX is horrible in that it really forces DPS players to get good and know what they're doing to clear.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
How feasible would it be to level mining and blacksmithing up as I level up my first class? I have a decent amount of money and weapons and armors are coming in from quests and poo poo but on the next class I don't imagine I'll have either of those coming in (not enough quests I think? Hence the 50% armory bonus or whatever) so I figure it'd be nice to always have up to date weapons since I seem to be only getting them every 5 levels when I do a class quest anyway, plus updated weapons on other classes when I don't have access to quests would be nice. Would this be incredibly masochistic and I should just wait? The whole gear conundrum seems kinda more important for tanks anyway for threat and mitigation purposes. At least with armor classes of the same type like tanks or mdps can use the same armor.

Do people usually just buy their leveling poo poo on the market board? I haven't checked it out yet but if its anything like other games I've played decent gear while leveling from the AH was stupid expensive

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Great White Hope! posted:

It took me 5 instances of wiping multiple times on BisEX before figuring that fight out and getting a group that could do it. Don't worry, you'll get it eventually :unsmith:

And yeah this is one of the times where XIV not having DPS meters really kind of ruins things because nothing really forces people to :gitgud: at DPS unless it's a major DPS check.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I have enough gold for a Company Tabard, I'm weirdly tempted to buy one. All I spend money on is glamours anyway, at this point.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Eerkik posted:

How feasible would it be to level mining and blacksmithing up as I level up my first class? I have a decent amount of money and weapons and armors are coming in from quests and poo poo but on the next class I don't imagine I'll have either of those coming in (not enough quests I think? Hence the 50% armory bonus or whatever) so I figure it'd be nice to always have up to date weapons since I seem to be only getting them every 5 levels when I do a class quest anyway, plus updated weapons on other classes when I don't have access to quests would be nice. Would this be incredibly masochistic and I should just wait? The whole gear conundrum seems kinda more important for tanks anyway for threat and mitigation purposes. At least with armor classes of the same type like tanks or mdps can use the same armor.

Do people usually just buy their leveling poo poo on the market board? I haven't checked it out yet but if its anything like other games I've played decent gear while leveling from the AH was stupid expensive

To answer your question: yeah, you can no problem. You can decide to do as little or as much crafting / gathering as you want.

From 1-50 I think the best way to get gear once you get into the 20s is to just get gear at your grand company when you join one, and then augment it from dungeon drops. Once you hit 50, go for poetics gear and that will get you to ilvl 120 real quick. You can get gear on the MB but I rarely do. I either craft it myself, use dungeon drops or have someone else craft it for me.

The best way to level up crafting is to do all of them at once honestly. There's no bad time to start. Job quests for crafting classes will give you crafting gear if you need it. Start miner anyways since that feeds the majority of crafting classes (BSM, ARM, GSM, and then that will also feed gear into other classes). Just know when you join your GC you can get crafting manuals that increase the amount of exp you get up to a certain point so you can power level everything to 15, which is where you get your cross class stuff.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Eerkik posted:

These would be fine, especially if you have a friend or access to a goon FC to craft stuff with your mats. Bear in mind that once you get to level ~20, your GC is a good source of weapons. There are a few holes (between 30-39, between 44-50), but those can be filled with dungeon drops or a little crafting. Also, the real gain with crafted weapons is through HQ, so if you can't reliably HQ them it'd be best to ask a higher level crafter to make them for you.

I don't advocate purchasing too much off the market board since money is tight early on (though not as tight as it was at 2.0). It's not a bad idea to look for occasional bargains. As above, a friend/FC mate who can craft for you is ideal. Many are willing to help if you bring the mats.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'll make a lot of lower level stuff even without the mats because it's dirt cheap to make.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sentient Data posted:

Right now it's basically just a superretainer that can only be made by FCs, but by the time you're in the 7-digit gil range who knows what'll be available (pretty sure they've mentioned at least adding a cutscene of FC members riding it)

It is confirmed that in 3.1 FC airships will be used for missions specifically where people board the ships to go to remote islands which will have to be cleared before gatherers in the fc can collect valuable goods there. These will also to a degree be common areas not specific to a given FC so it will be time for goon sky pirates :yarr:

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

That was a really goddamn fun match

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

I was in a group today that had no problem in phase 1 and 2 but would constantly completely fall apart in phase 3. I'm never going to get that loving primal done.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Does anyone know if Patience II has any effect on 2.0-2.55 legendary fish ?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Sendo posted:

Does anyone know if Patience II has any effect on 2.0-2.55 legendary fish ?

All fisher abilities work on all old fish. Why wouldn't they?

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

All fisher abilities work on all old fish. Why wouldn't they?

Well I more specifically meant if the "increases the chance of catching a larger fish" applied to 2.0 legendary fish, as with how much of a nightmare fishing has always been it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't. I only have about 10 big fish left of the 2.0-2.55 so I figured I might make an attempt at them if Patience II would make it easier.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

That was a really goddamn fun match

So is PVP in FFXIV actually good now?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I guess that depends on what you didn't like about it before

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Seal Rock is a lot of fun if you familiarize yourself with your role. It's pretty zergy, but even having a little bit of an idea of what you're doing means you'll be able to do well.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Niton posted:

Seal Rock is a lot of fun if you familiarize yourself with your role. It's pretty zergy, but even having a little bit of an idea of what you're doing means you'll be able to do well.

How do you Black Mage in it? I've never been able to land two casts on a person, and usually one only if I got them by surprise.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

kafziel posted:

How do you Black Mage in it? I've never been able to land two casts on a person, and usually one only if I got them by surprise.

Stand above people, hang out in groups, or use the limit break when it's up and wreck people. You're going to be pretty worthless on your own but if you move well and know when you can get off a cast you'll do a great amount of dmg to people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eerkik posted:

It really depends on what you mean by feasible. One thing to keep in mind is that crafting in this game isn't like WOW or other similar MMOs. The system here very much plays to the fact that you have completely unrestricted access to every class. You can't just pick up mining and blacksmithing and be totally self-sufficient. Blacksmithing will require materials made by pretty much every other crafting class, as well as botany and even fishing. You'll also need good enough gear for both classes as you're leveling up. As for what you get out of it, blacksmithing only produces weapons and crafting/gathering tools, and only for a handful of classes. Meanwhile, the weapons you get from quests and dungeons will be more than sufficient on your first class. I would advise against getting into crafting until you get your first class to at least 50. It's a huge money and time sink before that with a very marginal payoff.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

kafziel posted:

• Figure out where your smart front line players / healers are going, and stick with them. Try to cast from as far as reasonably possible, and keep in mind that Thunder III is a 390 potency spell that has a chance to proc a strong instantcast nuke.
  • Blizzard I is a strong ability in PvP - it's always available and applies a long duration Heavy. Heavy is so good at picking off stragglers that you should prioritize it on running targets.
  • Sleep and Freeze are both very strong for immobilizing players, as well - if you get hit by a status effect on a mount, you're a stuck there until it wears off or someone hits you.
  • You need 9600 HP. 9600 HP lets you survive a melee LB or two Cometeors at full HP, which will make it way easier for you to get Battle High and Battle Fever. The easiest way to do this is to grab Yasha Earring of Fending (or its 180 counterpart, if you have seals) and just wear that in PvP. If you want more HP, just swap in more Vit accessories - it's a huge boost in survivability for a pretty small DPS loss.
  • Don't worry about trying to hit enemy DPS. If you have the ability to chaincast on a melee, it's much better to rail a few Fire IVs into him than maybe get one off while exposing yourself.
  • Kills are more important than B rank nodes - a B rank node is worth 80 points, and a kill is effectively worth 10 (+5/-5). If you're attacking a B rank node, prioritize killing players, and if you're defending, prioritize getting out alive over defending the node.

Niton fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 31, 2015

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Sendo posted:

Well I more specifically meant if the "increases the chance of catching a larger fish" applied to 2.0 legendary fish, as with how much of a nightmare fishing has always been it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't. I only have about 10 big fish left of the 2.0-2.55 so I figured I might make an attempt at them if Patience II would make it easier.

I'd always assumed this meant catching larger fish as in the measurement/collectability, not literally larger species of fish. I can't seem to find concrete info either way though nor have I noticed much of a difference.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Megaflare posted:

I'd always assumed this meant catching larger fish as in the measurement/collectability, not literally larger species of fish. I can't seem to find concrete info either way though nor have I noticed much of a difference.

Whenever I use Patience II at the Thaliak River, I get a lot more highland perch rather than illuminati perch. Highland perch are big fish, in the sense that they give your line a big tug. The actual size of the fish is irrelevant.

Speaking of which, don't use Patience II when you're fishing for illuminati perch.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Honestly as a Black Mage in Seal Rock you could do literally nothing but spam Sleep and that'd arguably be contributing more than trying to hit people with your long cast time damage abilities.

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

Highland perch aren't particularly rare though, almost equal as illuminati with leeches. I don't use P2 there when going for illuminati simply because I'd rather save the gp and get more uses from hookset but I'll still have annoying highland streaks.

Ed: But again, there doesn't seem to have been any testing done on it. Couldn't hurt to press if you're just going for the straight catches though if you do it.

Unsmart fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Aug 31, 2015

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Eerkik posted:

I sell my HQ quest rewards from Heavesward content for 20k-60k on average with a 200k outlier on Balmung. YMMV.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

At least you don't have my Ravanna Ex problem where nobody seems willing to attempt it at all in PF. If I find one party in the day it's a miracle!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The Black Stones posted:

At least you don't have my Ravanna Ex problem where nobody seems willing to attempt it at all in PF. If I find one party in the day it's a miracle!

I see about 10 Ravana EX a day, there might be 1 bisex a week.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

TheShadowAvatar posted:

I sell my HQ quest rewards from Heavesward content for 20k-60k on average with a 200k outlier on Balmung. YMMV.

I'm pretty sure he's talking about leveling a second class from 1-50, not 51-60.

Like other people have said, I think it would be ideal to find a goon who is willing to help you out instead of leveling BSM and MIN by themselves, but there is no reason you can't do that. If you want to level those classes for their own merits, then I think you should go for it. If you don't want to craft/gather, then your grand company and class quests should keep you well armed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mordiceius posted:

I see about 10 Ravana EX a day, there might be 1 bisex a week.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just the server I'm on has decided on giving up for the most part.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

That's also largely because there's little reason to run Bismarck EX more than once. Some of the weapons look cool, but most people just view it as a stepping stone to Ravana EX which just has better weapons overall.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Black Stones posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just the server I'm on has decided on giving up for the most part.

Come to excal. If you have a couple of real life friends that are on a different server, convince them to move to excal as well. I've done so and the results are good.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Thumbtacks posted:

I have enough gold for a Company Tabard, I'm weirdly tempted to buy one. All I spend money on is glamours anyway, at this point.

wait, is that how we get them? I assumed I had to some "favors" for an FC leader.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Tenik posted:

I'm pretty sure he's talking about leveling a second class from 1-50, not 51-60.

Like other people have said, I think it would be ideal to find a goon who is willing to help you out instead of leveling BSM and MIN by themselves, but there is no reason you can't do that. If you want to level those classes for their own merits, then I think you should go for it. If you don't want to craft/gather, then your grand company and class quests should keep you well armed.

bsm also requires ltw, crp, gsm occasionally, alc occasionally to make things

alc loses the "occasionally" in heavensward since nearly everything seems to loving want glue

you can't say "i'm gonna make weapons" and just level bsm, crafting is seriously a game of all or nothing. the only one where you can do that really is cul.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ouhei posted:

wait, is that how we get them? I assumed I had to some "favors" for an FC leader.

I think he means buy them off the MB.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Ravana had the strongest weapons available until recently, while Bismark's was worse than the upgraded law. Either you're farming Bismark for glamour, or you're just doing it the once to move on and rejoice in the glory of combat.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Elentor posted:

I think he means buy them off the MB.

Ah, yeah I want one but I bet they're insane on the MB. Maybe eventually I'll convince someone to make me one...

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crime and high drama is afoot in the Young Money fc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb3YKzg1lTk

I bet they don't have all the airships tho. :colbert:

• Locked thread