Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Sometimes I get a big pack of chicken hearts and gizzards from the store, chop them into small pieces and boil them in a big pot for pax. You can have a small container out and then freeze the rest. There's also this treat called "Puperoni" made with sweet potato that he likes as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Heard good things about the Himalayan dog chew with MOTHERFUCKING HEALTHY ENZYMES AND poo poo

might give it a try

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Heard good things about the Himalayan dog chew with MOTHERFUCKING HEALTHY ENZYMES AND poo poo

might give it a try

My dog likes these a lot, as a sort of nylabone replacement. She won't chew on nylabones because they don't taste/smell good enough. They are way expensive though... My dog is a prima donna.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah heard they last a long time though? My dog doesn't tear through poo poo too fast yet

kitten
Feb 6, 2003
So I was at Trader Joe's the other day and they have a 2 oz. bag of freeze dried beef liver for $2.50. Definitely a good way to try freeze dried beef liver out for cheap.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There's also bully sticks (aka dried bull penises) that last forever

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Only for small dogs, methinks. Worf destroyed one in 20 minutes.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

He loving loves processedcheddar cheese and of course anything I'm eating. But doesn't care for the bacon flavored treats, milk bones, little chicken reward treats. Also wasn't a fan of peanut butter but it was the gross healthy poo poo not skippy or something.

He did like the pig ear I got him though and I've been meaning to get more.

The only thing he actually destroyed was some bison meat flavored thing shaped like a small chicken bone.

He's just so picky and I'm a bit overwhelmed with options

Most of the processed treats that you find in big box stores aren't actually that high value. Himalayan yak whatever was also hit/miss for my crew. Freeze-dried meats (lamb lung, tripe, liver), hot dogs and cheese have been a much more reliable bet for my dogs.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Might just stick to cheddar cheese then

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

As long as you don't need it to be shelf-stable this works fine. Lamb lung's my go-to for a high-value treat I can leave in the trunk of the car for class/park/other excursions.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

:lol: I'm lucky if they last an hour, and one of my dogs is missing 7 teeth so chewing isn't really one of his strong suits.

I have bags of those little training treats (Zukes, etc) for general "good job yay" rewards but when I really need focus or I'm asking them to do something fairly difficult that's what I bust out the hot dogs and freeze dried chicken livers. My dogs LOVE cheese but their insides don't and my house turns into one giant cloud of farts after a training session if I reward with cheese.

If you're going the hot dogs route turkey dogs are better just because they're not as greasy as regular hot dogs so they don't get your hands all slimy as fast.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
You guys must have some weak bull penises

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Also, while I'm here, does anyone have any tips for dog proofing a sunroom? I want to transition pax from being in his crate while I'm gone to being in the sunroom this fall. It has a wooden couch with removable cushions, tile floor, etc. What's the best way to keep him safe outside of the crate if I'm going to be gone for 4-5 hours a day during the week?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Also, while I'm here, does anyone have any tips for dog proofing a sunroom? I want to transition pax from being in his crate while I'm gone to being in the sunroom this fall. It has a wooden couch with removable cushions, tile floor, etc. What's the best way to keep him safe outside of the crate if I'm going to be gone for 4-5 hours a day during the week?

Just make sure there's nothing he could chew on or ingest that'd cause problems or anything he could get tangled up in (blind cords, etc). I guess it really depends on how much you trust him not to chew on your furniture or pee everywhere.

Is your sunroom climate controlled? You don't want to accidentally roast or freeze him.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Even those big braided bully sticks only last 5-10 minutes with my dog, they're way too expensive for me to justify buying them. Same with those stupid Himalayan chews. long lasting my rear end, I gave one to Vex and he immediately shattered it into dust

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

One of my dogs is super picky and won't take any of the "sure fire" high value treats like hot dogs, cheese, or peanut butter. Honestly you're just going to have to experiment a lot to figure out what he does like. I honestly wouldn't bother with store bought treats for a picky rear end princess, people food seems to be much more rewarding. Even if you do find treats he likes, he may never be willing to work super hard for them - it's a bitch but occasionally you come across dogs who just dont give a gently caress about food.

some of the stuff that works alright for my dog
- Jimmy dean breakfast sausage
- canned tuna
- tinned beef
- seared beef
- pizza
- cheez wiz or cream cheese (sometimes)

It's food thats loving terrible for him but when you have a dog who's really unmotivated by food you kinda have to stop worrying about how ~healthy~ it is (within reason obviously. dont poison your dog or let him live on pizza). Even Vex's "favorite" treats are extremely low value to him but at least he'll eat them rather than spitting them out when I'm not looking.

You can increase his food drive via training but it's an extremely tedious process so you gotta decide if it's even worth the effort to you. IIRC it took me about a year to get Vex to work for food at all but he's a stubborn as gently caress rear end in a top hat. It's definitely worth your time to figure out non-food rewards as well. Try and figure out the things your dog loves most in the whole wide world (for mine it's balls, pissing on things, and empty kongs) and make working for you a prerequisite for gaining access to that resource.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I'm starting to narrow it down. Just got a dozen pig ears so that should last a bit. Also some really expensive organic natural small chicken treats that he seemed to love when we tried it at the store. He's been broadening his horizons on food more and more I've come to find which seems a bit backwards. So that's good. Still loving loves cheddar cheese. My dog(s) eat table food. Always have and always will. Not saying I buy them a double bacon everyday but I'll always give them a bit. And yes I know what not to give them. That's just me and my families way of doing things.

Also not a big fan of using treats for training and such. I guess more in the "make them do dumb poo poo" aspect. Prefer affection, positive reinforcement, etc. I might use it for some rewarding reasons like to get him comfortable on a bike.

I'm torn on some obedience training or puppy classes or something. My "training" methods are maybe a bit archaic but they've always worked for all our dogs and seem to be working well for him.

Right now I'm really focusing on no-leash training. He's pretty much housebroken. I absolutely detest when people have dogs that will bolt away any second they have only to return in a day or two. He's been surprisingly well so far. I can more or less run with him and walk around and he stays within a certain vicinity. Starting to know when he's pushing his limits by my words and he inflection of my voice. Sometimes his puppy ADD kicks in though and he bee lines it to something which is of course worrying and dangerous. But I pretty much don't leash him when I go out until he gives me a reason or there's other dogs around. He's not fixed yet but will be soon and I think it should help the puppy ADD?

Alas, any leash/no leash training tips? He does pull a lot intermittently. I got a gentle leader but he freaks the gently caress out and hates it. Think I'm going to approach it again in a bit. Ultimately I just want my dog to perfectly follow me everywhere in tow and stop and come on my command, that's all.

- edit

Just FYI meh.com has the dyson dc41 animal vacuum today

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 26, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah I'm starting to narrow it down. Just got a dozen pig ears so that should last a bit. Also some really expensive organic natural small chicken treats that he seemed to love when we tried it at the store. He's been broadening his horizons on food more and more I've come to find which seems a bit backwards. So that's good. Still loving loves cheddar cheese. My dog(s) eat table food. Always have and always will. Not saying I buy them a double bacon everyday but I'll always give them a bit. And yes I know what not to give them. That's just me and my families way of doing things.

Also not a big fan of using treats for training and such. I guess more in the "make them do dumb poo poo" aspect. Prefer affection, positive reinforcement, etc. I might use it for some rewarding reasons like to get him comfortable on a bike.

I'm torn on some obedience training or puppy classes or something. My "training" methods are maybe a bit archaic but they've always worked for all our dogs and seem to be working well for him.

Right now I'm really focusing on no-leash training. He's pretty much housebroken. I absolutely detest when people have dogs that will bolt away any second they have only to return in a day or two. He's been surprisingly well so far. I can more or less run with him and walk around and he stays within a certain vicinity. Starting to know when he's pushing his limits by my words and he inflection of my voice. Sometimes his puppy ADD kicks in though and he bee lines it to something which is of course worrying and dangerous. But I pretty much don't leash him when I go out until he gives me a reason or there's other dogs around. He's not fixed yet but will be soon and I think it should help the puppy ADD?

Alas, any leash/no leash training tips? He does pull a lot intermittently. I got a gentle leader but he freaks the gently caress out and hates it. Think I'm going to approach it again in a bit. Ultimately I just want my dog to perfectly follow me everywhere in tow and stop and come on my command, that's all.

We've gone through the whole gamut and ended up with a prong collar :/ (Through a trainer, so we are getting taught how to use it).
One thing our new trainer pointed out, was that while harnesses and gentle leaders will allow you to control the body of the dog, you aren't controlling it's attention.

As for off-leash 'ADD', it's likely to get worse as he gets more confident.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
If you're not using treats for training, who gives a poo poo if he's not very into treats?

You'll have much better luck training recall if you actually use something rewarding to the dog to motivate him to come back to you. And no, pets absolutely do not count. Recall is one of the more difficult things to get rock solid and typically running around, smelling poo poo, bothering other dogs, and pissing on poo poo in a new place is way cooler to a dog than getting a pat and a 'good boy' from you. If you want your dog to do something, you need to be more rewarding than the environmental factors that you're competing against. Affection is great but it's a very rare dog that will find it more rewarding than food, play, or toys.

What you have is a motivation issue, not a puppy ADD issue and the poster above me is likely correct in that it will get worse as he grows more confident and as he learns he can blow you off

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 26, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You guys make some good points and I am not ignoring you but this just happened

:toot:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
lmao I used to live exactly where you took the first pic

Blinks
May 9, 2004
Just cos a rape kit came up positive, that doesn't mean she was raped!
So we have had Brodie a couple of weeks.We have been really fortunate in that he seems to be housebroken, has learnt simple commands and has taken to walking with a loose leash kind of well. The only real issue is chewing one particular dining room chair.

As soon as I see him I divert his attention/give hime a rubber chew toy and then spray the chewed chair with a pet repellent spray (just doesn't smell nice for cats and dogs apparently). Nothing seems to deter him. Any suggestions?

Oh and I have been allowing him to mouth my hand to help him learn bite inhibition and he is doing really well and never hurts me (despite making a high pitch sound to make him stop), when should I phase this out? He is 11 weeks old now.

Thanks PI :)

Blinks fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 27, 2015

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Are inflatable cones more tolerable (for the dog) than the standard ones?. Hana got a scratch over her eye that she keeps opening up and she loathes wearing the cone...
Tried one myself recently and yeah they seem a lot more tolerable. Petco carries one with a canvas cover, which has withstood plenty of scratches.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
So this little monster's about six months old now.

She's an absolute dream. She's sweet natured, stubborn, was completely house trained by three months old, and is just an all round awesome lil' pupster. I just have a few questions about some behavioural traits that might potentially be problems if they're not worked on.

We taught her to soft mouth from a young age, but almost every interaction I have with her involves her chewing on my hands no matter how much I try and redirect her. Personally, I don't mind it so much, but the rest of the world probably won't feel that way. I know that puppies usually mouth a lot up until about her age, but it's relentless. What can I do to train it out of her?

The other issue is that she's eating concrete. She eats the steps outside the house, the outside of the house itself, and any stray bits of brick she can find on the street. Obviously I take whatever I can out of her mouth as soon as possible, but I'm sure she's swallowed her fair share of our home. It can't be good for her. What can I do to discourage this? I've read that there's such a thing as doggy pica, but I think it might be too early to assume that. I just don't want her to hurt herself.

I also think she might not be full French bulldog. I've met a fair few Frenchies in my time and I think she looks similar, but is just built in a different way. I don't care at all, I love the poo poo out of this dog, but if I could get a few opinions it'd settle a conflict in my head. One more shot for reference. I just don't think her body is Frenchie enough.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

7seven7 posted:

We taught her to soft mouth from a young age, but almost every interaction I have with her involves her chewing on my hands no matter how much I try and redirect her. Personally, I don't mind it so much, but the rest of the world probably won't feel that way. I know that puppies usually mouth a lot up until about her age, but it's relentless. What can I do to train it out of her?

Yeah I'd be keen to know about this as well. Sterling is just about to turn 1 and almost every time we go to touch around his face or neck he wants to lick our hands and will use his feet or his mouth to try and hold our hand still so he can lick it. We've tried yipping when his teeth touch us, moving away and ignoring him when it happens, but I guess not reliably enough because he's still doing it.

It's worth noting he has never, ever, ever bitten and when using his mouth it is a very soft, gentle grip and I am absolutely confident in handling his mouth and teeth without fear of a bite. Maybe we hosed up soft mouth training and now it's all "it's fine to have hands in my mouth without biting so now I want hands in my mouth ALL THE TIME to lick and drool on"

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I've been thinking of getting a dog for a while. In the past, I couldn't get a pet dog because I lived in a pet-free college dorm. Now I live in an apartment that allows pets. My current roommates prefer not to have a pet living in the apartment. How could I convince them otherwise?

fake edit: My apartment does not allow dogs younger than 1 year, so I'd be getting an adult dog.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Faith For Two posted:

I've been thinking of getting a dog for a while. In the past, I couldn't get a pet dog because I lived in a pet-free college dorm. Now I live in an apartment that allows pets. My current roommates prefer not to have a pet living in the apartment. How could I convince them otherwise?

fake edit: My apartment does not allow dogs younger than 1 year, so I'd be getting an adult dog.
You'll need to kidnap your roommate (I like chlorophyll on the washcloth used for face washing) and after a week or so devise a situation where your rescue dog is the hero.

Otherwise you may just need to have a conversation and look for a breed that will not trigger some of his concerns.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Faith For Two posted:

Get new roommates that are interested in living with a dog, if you've sat down and discussed specific concerns already and they're not sold. It's not fair to browbeat them into living with pets when they'd prefer not to.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

I have kind of an odd behaviour I'd like to ask about!

A little background. My dog is a super old mutt (probably some whippet terrier mix) - about 15 years old - and I only adopted him a year ago so I have no idea what the majority of his life was like. He is very sweet and gentle natured, and even people who don't like dogs fall in love with him.

But he won't lie down near me! He loves to nap on the ground while my gf is sitting on the couch. But if I come over and sit down, he gets up and either comes to me for attention, or slinks off to another room to lie down.

I know that dogs like peace and privacy at times, but it bums me out that he feels the need to leave when I sit on the couch.

I don't really know why he does it - my best guess is maybe I make too much of a fuss over him, so he thinks that when I'm around it's always play / cuddle time, so he needs me to not be around for sleepy time.
Old post, but an update on this.

I bought him a crate. He loves it. Barely needed to encourage him inside. Now, if he wants some peace, he goes in his crate. Otherwise, he chills out at our feet.

Good boy :)

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Faith For Two posted:

This implies you're a college student. Am I correct? Think real hard if your schedule will allow for a dog, both now and in the future. I know for sure my college schedule in my junior and senior years sure as hell wouldn't let me have a dog. Not to mention I could barely afford to support myself much less a pet.

If you still insist on having a dog, move out to an apartment with roommates who do want a dog. It's not fair to your current roommates to inflict a large hairy often smelly beast who will most assuredly tank your chances of getting your security deposit back into their lives against their will.

Slake Fistcrunch
Feb 16, 2011

What size skull-dome do you wear?
Darla, my Weimaraner, passed on in April and I still can't believe it some days. She was with me for half my life and she was gone so fast.

She was twelve and tough as old boots, bounced back from pyo surgery at ten like nothing had happened, and the first sign that she was riddled with cancer was a persistent cough on the Sunday. Vet's on Monday, tests and a drain (that took nearly a litre of fluid off her chest) on Tuesday, gone by the same Friday. I think we waited too long to let her go if I'm honest with myself.

Twelve years wasn't enough, I don't think twenty would have been.

See you on the other side, big girl.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Randomly silly question but any baby gate recommendations? Going to get 2 most likely. One for kitchen and patio. My dog can also scale fences by paw'n up then so I guess it'll need to be a bit high

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Randomly silly question but any baby gate recommendations? Going to get 2 most likely. One for kitchen and patio. My dog can also scale fences by paw'n up then so I guess it'll need to be a bit high
I don't have any specific suggestions, but get something your dogs can't chew through (ie. metal).

I got a wooden one for my puppy when we first got her and one day she decided to gnaw through a bar, pull it out, lodged her body in the hole and knocked the whole gate over, then hosed up the rest of my living room.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

this is what my girlfriend and I use. Since your dog can scale fences, I'm not sure if it'll be high enough.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I don't have any specific suggestions, but get something your dogs can't chew through (ie. metal).

I got a wooden one for my puppy when we first got her and one day she decided to gnaw through a bar, pull it out, lodged her body in the hole and knocked the whole gate over, then hosed up the rest of my living room.

I think there's a video of this

http://youtu.be/cZTrZSUhB4s

AAB posted:

this is what my girlfriend and I use. Since your dog can scale fences, I'm not sure if it'll be high enough.

I mean he's not big per-se but if he can jump and get his paws on the top he shuffles over with his back legs. That looks tall enough and like it'll do the trick, thanks

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
I've had to take my puppy to the vets for emergency appointments twice for allergic reactions today. Her face swelled up and she got hives all over. She's been given a steroid injection and an IV drip. She's just started to have another reaction after I've let her our to pee. I live in the Midlands in England. Does anyone happen to know what blooms this time of year that would cause this? I'm worried to death.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

This is wilfred. He's a good dog, and we are bffs, but he gets anxious when I leave him and if some dire emergency causes him to raise the alarm while I'm gone he'll remain in that state of high alert and bark at every noise until I come home. Neighbors love him! I've mulled the idea of getting him a buddy so he'll have someone to hang out with when I'm gone, and as much as I love beagles I know all about the barky feedback loop so another beagle is out, but I've only ever owned beagles. Are there any breeds/groups to look for that might be less prone to joining in and continuing to barking at boats, bicyclists, dog walkers, and other threats to our sovereignty? Nothing bigger than a medium-sized beagle. I'd get a shelter/rescue dog for sure, so I might not have much of a choice (and the shelters here are full of beagles :( ). I guess I might be better with a rescue, where they might have a better sense of how much each dog likes to vocalize...

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

The problem you might run into is that the new dog might pick up your current dog's barking habits even if it is a quiet dog in its foster home.

I have one dog who alert barks and the other idiot dog who's all "We're barking? We're barking! Hooray barking!" and has no idea what they're barking at but since other dog is barking he feels like he needs to bark too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My dog didn't even know what barking was once upon a time :(

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The problem you might run into is that the new dog might pick up your current dog's barking habits even if it is a quiet dog in its foster home.

I have one dog who alert barks and the other idiot dog who's all "We're barking? We're barking! Hooray barking!" and has no idea what they're barking at but since other dog is barking he feels like he needs to bark too.

It's especially bad with a bunch of beagles because barking for them is like herding for stock dogs. It's part of how they communicate when they hunt and that's what they're bred for. It's funny and sad watching Wilfred when he spots something because he knows he's not supposed to bark and he's a good dog so he tries to hold it in but sometimes it's just really important and the barks eventually bubble out and in between barks he's extremely apologetic. If you speak his language he's got distinctive barks for rabbits, snakes, dogs, the mailman and the UPS man (suburban big game), but unfortunately to the uninitiated it all just sounds like barking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax has a bunch of beagle buddies. They love to bugle in a positive feedback loop