Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It's hard to say that without seeing what is in standard at the time. It's possible that Narset might not fit in anything but even that doesn't mean it's not a powerful card..

I agree with you here, I feel it's similar to Monastery Mentor in that if it's not playable in standard, a large portion of the reason for that is their intent for standard in general isn't very favourable for cards that need a large volume of cheap noncreature spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

It's hard to say that without seeing what is in standard at the time. It's possible that Narset might not fit in anything but even that doesn't mean it's not a powerful card..

The 4 mana haymaker has been the most cohesive part of Standard design since Innistrad. If it suddenly stops I will be happy because I hate haymaker magic but you can't afford to be loving around with minor value at that CMC against that philosophy. Especially if you end up on the draw.

edit: Actually you can probably trace this back slightly further to Scars block, but at the time of Scars block there was a lot of other stuff available to you that you didn't just die to a resolved Hero of Bladehold.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 31, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

The 4 mana haymaker has been the most cohesive part of Standard design since Innistrad. If it suddenly stops I will be happy because I hate haymaker magic but you can't afford to be loving around with minor value at that CMC against that philosophy. Especially if you end up on the draw.

4 mana haymakers were a core thing before then weren't they? JtMS, Hero of Bladehold, BBE were all front and center in their respective standards

E: editing your posts is cheating

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's one of my favorite cards ever.

Rhino on the other hand can suck it, such a loving boring card

I mean, seagate oracle isnt particularly exciting

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I agree with you here, I feel it's similar to Monastery Mentor in that if it's not playable in standard, a large portion of the reason for that is their intent for standard in general isn't very favourable for cards that need a large volume of cheap noncreature spells.

Mentor has less time to be a huge player in standard but I agree with the premise but Mentor is just like Young Pyro in that it's much more powerful the more the card pool of stuff you can play it with gets.

TheKingofSprings posted:

4 mana haymakers were a core thing before then weren't they? JtMS, Hero of Bladehold, BBE were all front and center in their respective standards

E: editing your posts is cheating

Also switching gears for a second. If Modern Burn is a legal deck the idea that BBE and probably even Jace is banned is a joke. I played against it 4 out of 5 rounds at the PIQ yesterday and gently caress that deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bread Set Jettison posted:

What the gently caress, this card trades a point of toughness off the most exciting card of all-time, Horned Turtle, in exchange for getting to look at two cards and draw one. What could possibly be more exciting than this

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Mulldrifter is slightly more exciting than Sea Gate Oracle, but not much.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mulldrifter and Sea Gate Oracle are TOTALLY different, Mulldrifter gets you insane card draw value and kills them twice as fast as you're friend Sea Gate Oracle, who looks at hedrons and mostly exists to block.

edit: I forgot to mention that Mulldrifter is a loving dope luminescent wiggle snake.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 31, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If you're not excited by the 1/3 drawing you the best of your next two cards I don't want to know you

Also I agree with you Rabidsquid, efficient removal like Path and Go For The Throat does a lot to mitigate those powerful creatures. Without them you're stuck having to do much the same as the midrange decks or be outgrinded.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Top 10 fun creatures to cast:

1. Mulldrifter
2. Sea Gate Oracle
3. Phyrexian Rager
4. uuuh Mystic snake?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

This is wrong.
Which one guaranteed draws you a card and which one can guaranteed use its minus after playing it?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

netcat posted:

1. Mulldrifter
2. Sea Gate Oracle
3. Phyrexian Rager
4. uuuh Mystic snake?

Wall of Omens, Wall of Blossoms

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

netcat posted:

1. Mulldrifter
2. Sea Gate Oracle
3. Phyrexian Rager
4. uuuh Mystic snake?

5. Thragtusk
6. Restoration Angel

:twisted:

e: honestly "top 10 fun creatures to cast" and "top 10 fun creatures to flicker" are very similar lists

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Someone's never hardcast an Emrakul.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
What are some creatures that are fun to cast but not fun to flicker? There's like... Teferi? The original Eldrazi titans? Goblin Guide. Cascade guys if you're into that, but Cascade always frustrates me to play with even more than to play against.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Attorney at Funk posted:

What are some creatures that are fun to cast but not fun to flicker? There's like... Teferi? The original Eldrazi titans? Goblin Guide.

Bloodbraid Elf

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yawgmoth posted:

Which one guaranteed draws you a card and which one can guaranteed use its minus after playing it?

5 mana to draw a card for a life and not protect itself is pretty terrible... 5 mana to destory a creature at sorcery speed is pretty terrible... and that ultimate is pretty lackluster too...

You just can't be doing that for 5 mana in standard. It's way too durdley.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Attorney at Funk posted:

What are some creatures that are fun to cast but not fun to flicker?

...Goblin Guide

You have bad opinions on what's fun to cast.

I've been having a lot of fun casting Brago lately. He flickers everything! Including planeswalkers!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

5 mana to draw a card for a life and not protect itself is pretty terrible... 5 mana to destory a creature at sorcery speed is pretty terrible... and that ultimate is pretty lackluster too...

You just can't be doing that for 5 mana in standard. It's way too durdley.

Sarkhan was arguably worse and still saw play

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Sarkhan was arguably worse and still saw play

Sarkhan's +1 is much better. I don't think he's worse.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sarkhan has the luxury of being compared to Stormbreath Dragon, a card that Is Good In Standard, while also being at any time a 5 mana kill your courser in red, which Red didn't have before Roast.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Sarkhan has the luxury of being compared to Stormbreath Dragon, a card that Is Good In Standard, while also being at any time a 5 mana kill your courser in red, which Red didn't have before Roast.

Sarkhan has proven to be meh but at least it wins the game if unanswered. This previewed walker does nothing.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

You're all forgetting Coiling Oracle as a great creature to play. Not enough people play Coiling Oracle.

And in response to the guy from last page, I will be at a WMCQ on the 5th. Modern format. We'll see if I get to play, I'm reserve judge.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

netcat posted:

1. Mulldrifter
2. Sea Gate Oracle
3. Phyrexian Rager
4. uuuh Mystic snake?

Solemn Simulacrum.
Any clone effect.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
Reddit spikes are pushing the name "Tango" for the new duals, because it takes two to...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

netcat posted:

1. Mulldrifter
2. Sea Gate Oracle
3. Phyrexian Rager
4. uuuh Mystic snake?

Rune-Scarred Demon
Massacre Wurm
Sphinx of Uthuun

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mehall posted:

You're all forgetting Coiling Oracle as a great creature to play. Not enough people play Coiling Oracle.

And in response to the guy from last page, I will be at a WMCQ on the 5th. Modern format. We'll see if I get to play, I'm reserve judge.

Thats in CA right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DoctorOozy posted:

Reddit spikes are pushing the name "Tango" for the new duals, because it takes two to...

If the Scars ones are "fast lands" these are obviously "slow lands".

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

DoctorOozy posted:

Saw it on Tumblr too, it's a terrible name.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Entropic posted:

I agree, it also has the bonus of not being a retarded name.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Hhaa what you guys are crazy we've always referred to a land coming in to play untapped as tangoing.

edit: People rushing to try to decide this is the most idiotic nerd horse poo poo

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

DoctorOozy posted:

I agree, it also has the bonus of not being a retarded name.

This, please. The only thing appropriate to nickname "Tango" is something to do with cash.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Sarkhan has proven to be meh but at least it wins the game if unanswered. This previewed walker does nothing.
Except guaranteed draw you cards (which narset doesn't do half the time) and kill poo poo by himself (which narset doesn't do at all). I don't know if he's going to be widely playable but he could definitely be viable in UB control.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hey they announced the payouts for leagues!

8 tix / 80 points entry. Swiss style payouts. 5 rounds

5-0: 2 boosters and 150 play points
4-1: 1 & 120
3-2: 80 (break even)
then 40,20,10

Better than I was expecting actually...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Except guaranteed draw you cards (which narset doesn't do half the time) and kill poo poo by himself (which narset doesn't do at all). I don't know if he's going to be widely playable but he could definitely be viable in UB control.
You aren't respecting the difference between 4 and 5 mana enough.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A 5-mana planeswalker that -3s to kill a thing and then sticks around threatening to do it again is basically what Vraska was and she saw play. And this one has a better +1.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Entropic posted:

A 5-mana planeswalker that -3s to kill a thing and then sticks around threatening to do it again is basically what Vraska was and she saw play. And this one has a better +1.

Vraska was really bad and her -3 was much better than this.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

rabidsquid posted:

What the gently caress, this card trades a point of toughness off the most exciting card of all-time, Horned Turtle, in exchange for getting to look at two cards and draw one. What could possibly be more exciting than this

three words: Siege Gate Rhino

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really want a Sea Gate Oracle reprint even if it's only good in limited. That card just feels good to cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

They're clearly "basic bitches"

• Locked thread