Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Cliff Racer posted:

The dinosaur?

Durkon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Well, with the caveat that they have to deanimate Durkula before they can resurrect Durkon. It's not Final Fantasy rules all the time.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Again, I just want to remember that raising as a Vampire takes 2-3 days. We can't assume that cleric was raised by now.

EDIT

Also he said he had already used most of his spell slots already anyway, so he wouldn't be useful in a fight regardless.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 30, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Who What Now posted:

Again, I just want to remember that raising as a Vampire takes 2-3 days. We can't assume that cleric was raised by now.

EDIT

Also he said he had already used most of his spell slots already anyway, so he wouldn't be useful in a fight regardless.

Durkon could have cheated with the staff the same way Malack did, though. And a spell-less vampire is still a vampire.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Who What Now posted:

EDIT

Even if he had all of his spell slots, he's not one of the priests under the protection of the meeting. If he was turned and raised quickly, he's not doing something fighting related in a room full of what are probably the highest level clerics on the planet that would matter. Taking down the meeting hall might be an option though, seeing as he and the other clerics of the stone helped build it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

jng2058 posted:

Durkon could have cheated with the staff the same way Malack did, though.
I think we can take that almost as a given. If Durkon wasn't going to insta-wake them, then there would have been no reason for him to take the risk of exposing himself (which he did, kinda). Within a day the temple will disappear and the corpses would have fried uselessly in the Sun, assuming they hadn't been found and staked by then. It seems unlikely that he will manage to just cart them off.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

And don't forget the new vampire gets his spells at sundown.

And no one would know better which load bearing pillar would be the perfect place for an stone-to-mud spell. Or stone-to-flesh if he was feeling particularly icky.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Random Stranger posted:

And no one would know better which load bearing pillar would be the perfect place for an stone-to-mud spell. Or stone-to-flesh if he was feeling particularly icky.

Heh, Roy would.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The fight's going to be a back-and-forth thing, where Roy will end up losing, only for Belkar to return and tip the scales before dying.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

nimby posted:

The fight's going to be a back-and-forth thing, where Roy will end up losing, only for Belkar to return and tip the scales before dying.

Maybe Belkar final breath will be when the gods destroy the planet.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
I'm calling it now: the world ends, gets remade, and the last book is about the remade order's new lives with radically changed pasts, excluding those members who've been completely retconned out of existence and are therefore remembered by no-one (but the effects they had on others still hold true for some unexplained reason). The villain will be Belkar Prime, a version of Belkar from "our" universe, who complains about everything.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Ponsonby Britt posted:

It's interesting to me how everyone reacts to Roy fighting Durkula. Mostly, it's what you would expect. The clerics who wanted to save the world (Thor, Loki, Frigg) are glad to see him, while the clerics who wanted to destroy it are upset (Fenrir, Heimdall, Tyr). Durkula is happy, but I read that as just being happy that he gets to murder Roy in front of Durkon. But there are two people who break the pattern. As previously pointed out, Hel is also glad that Roy is intervening; and the cleric of Odin looks displeased. Is that just because they know that Roy is way underpowered to fight Durkula? Or is it something to do with secret knowledge of the rifts?

On that note, I just realized something - where is the high priest of Balder running off to in such a hurry? Granted, his god's reason for voting "no" was basically "eh, it's what Odin and Thor are voting" but you'd think he'd be more relieved about Roy jumping in like this. But his actions and expression certainly seem to imply otherwise.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

On that note, I just realized something - where is the high priest of Balder running off to in such a hurry? Granted, his god's reason for voting "no" was basically "eh, it's what Odin and Thor are voting" but you'd think he'd be more relieved about Roy jumping in like this. But his actions and expression certainly seem to imply otherwise.

He's off to get the representatives of the demigods so they can cast the tiebreaker vote.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

He could be going to get the Demigods' High Priests

:argh:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rygar201 posted:

That's not a DM fiat.

Sure it is. It's an object who's rules are decided entirely by the DM, aren't supported by any rulebook to speak of, and exists to guide the narrative wherever the DM drat well pleases.

What is the effect of throwing the Lich into the Gate? Whatever the DM needs it to be.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Sure it is. It's an object who's rules are decided entirely by the DM, aren't supported by any rulebook to speak of, and exists to guide the narrative wherever the DM drat well pleases.

What is the effect of throwing the Lich into the Gate? Whatever the DM needs it to be.

I'd say it's not a fiat because it's only happening because of a player being proactive. If Xycon had bitten Snarl'd while the Order watched on, that would be a fiat, IMO.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Rygar201 posted:

I'd say it's not a fiat because it's only happening because of a player being proactive. If Xycon had bitten Snarl'd while the Order watched on, that would be a fiat, IMO.

Six of one, half a dozen of another. In either scenario, the DM creates rules on the fly to enable a given outcome. The player providing you an excuse doesn't change the fact that you're fundamentally doing the same thing.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Six of one, half a dozen of another. In either scenario, the DM creates rules on the fly to enable a given outcome. The player providing you an excuse doesn't change the fact that you're fundamentally doing the same thing.

But it had already been established that evil things die when they touched the gate- not in front of the PCs, but in comic. The DM was applying rules that existed before the encounter, not making them up on the fly.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Providing your player's the means to tell their story is a lot different than just telling them things happen as they watch. It's kind of an important distinction.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Just read strip #1000, goddamn :stare:

My guess at what will happen now: Roy kills Durkula, Hel goes "too bad, I still have two clerics in the room, my vote still counts" while presenting the two clerics Durkula vamped a while ago, Roy can't do anything since he's exausted from the fight, Belkar shows up and stabs the two vampire clerics to death, but since he's not their bodyguard he has to be killed per the rules, prophecy fulfilled.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dude there was a whole sequence where Zyklon was sending minions to touch the gate and die. Rich spends vast effort to appease sneering nerds that his pop-lit webcomic adheres closely enough to a specific outdated set of bloated and arbitrary game rules, and when he does depart from those rules he generally calls it out and sticks a flag on it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mikl posted:

My guess at what will happen now: Roy kills Durkula, Hel goes "too bad, I still have two clerics in the room, my vote still counts" while presenting the two clerics Durkula vamped a while ago, Roy can't do anything since he's exausted from the fight, Belkar shows up and stabs the two vampire clerics to death, but since he's not their bodyguard he has to be killed per the rules, prophecy fulfilled.

I like it, except Belkar only kills one vampire cleric before dieing, leaving Hel with one cleric to tie up the vote. Then the High Priest of Banjo shows up and casts the tie breaker. :haw:

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Um excuse me but what is that instrument that you mentioned the orchestra were playing? A tuba? :flicks through books: No, it's not in any of the published material. This is just another example of GM fiat, Richard. The RPGA shall hear of this!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

sebmojo posted:

Dude there was a whole sequence where Zyklon was sending minions to touch the gate and die. Rich spends vast effort to appease sneering nerds that his pop-lit webcomic adheres closely enough to a specific outdated set of bloated and arbitrary game rules, and when he does depart from those rules he generally calls it out and sticks a flag on it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Roy will win this, no one is factoring in the swing potential of Knowledge: Architecture.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
New Comic!: #1001: Will save the Day! :siren:

And a great call back to On the Origin of PC's by HPoH to try and convince Roy that he's really Durkon.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 31, 2015

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I laughed at the sound effect being literally "snapoutta"

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I'm glad Rich just made On the Origin of PCs available digitally. That's a pretty cool callback there in panel five.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mikl posted:

Where are you getting two clerics from? Besides the high priest of Elemental Earth what other cleric did we see Durkula completely drain on screen?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The second one was the "if the trip wasn't so dangerous". It cut away but was definitely what we were shown.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0996.html

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I am not liking the looks of those first two hits. Roy seems to be having trouble breaking through the DR.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Colonel Cool posted:

I am not liking the looks of those first two hits. Roy seems to be having trouble breaking through the DR.

I mean, he is a fighter. His will save would normally be abysmal, but he has better-than-average mental attributes, so his will save is probably average overall.

e: Oh, damage resistance, not the will save. reading hard :downs:

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 31, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colonel Cool posted:

His sword hasn't done the glowy thing yet.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Colonel Cool posted:

I thought the same thing, so I looked it up. Vampires only have DR 10. With a big +5 sword and lots of strength, Roy should be doing more than 10 damage every hit. Maybe he rolled so badly that he wasn't doing damage significant enough to show, or maybe that clank is just failing to hit Durkula's high AC.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's pretty amazing for Roy actually because Durkula phrased his attempt at domination exactly the way most philosophically in line with Roy's beliefs; Roy must've rolled a nat 20 there with those negative modifiers.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Wittgen posted:

I thought the same thing, so I looked it up. Vampires only have DR 10. With a big +5 sword and lots of strength, Roy should be doing more than 10 damage every hit. Maybe he rolled so badly that he wasn't doing damage significant enough to show, or maybe that clank is just failing to hit Durkula's high AC.

It's probably that. Durkon's AC was "into tha stratosphere" 850 strips ago, let alone before all this. With weapon specialization, a +5 sword, giant strength etc. Roy's certainly kept pace, so that was probably just a crap attack roll.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's pretty amazing for Roy actually because Durkula phrased his attempt at domination exactly the way most philosophically in line with Roy's beliefs; Roy must've rolled a nat 20 there with those negative modifiers.

To be fair, "you like talking so much" could be used to dominate literally every character in the strip :v:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also if whoever is dming the game is halfway decent he's probably feeding Roy mondo circumstantial bonuses for will saves

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Calaveron posted:

To be fair, "you like talking so much" could be used to dominate literally every character in the strip :v:

Counter-point: V, most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It also doesn't help that continuing to pretend to be Durkon at this point is easily the best way possible to piss off Roy, and Durkula probably has no idea why.