Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
For the shortblock to cause oil consumption, there needs to be excessive blowby, which can be checked with a leakdown test. The cause could be a cracked ringland (common on 2.5 turbos but not so much the n/a cars), or possibly cylinder wall scoring or a problem with the rings such as too large of a gap. Or even if the piston wall clearance is a little on the large side. This will force excess oil vapor out the pcv system and into the intake, and also can allow excess oil into the cylinder where it gets burned. On the other side of that, a bad pcv valve will let manifold vacuum pull excessive oil out. The other big cause of oil consumption is leaking valve seals, or the turbo itself on cars that have one.

The thing about leak down test is that it has to be done properly by someone who actually knows how to do it on a subaru. In order to get accurate readings the piston needs to be at exactly TDC so that when you pressurize the cylinder it doesn't just spin the crank and open valves. Holding the crank in place with a breaker bar does not work because of how it will flex the piston rings. So getting the piston there takes a little trial and error and is fairly tedious. I use a low pressure/vacuum gauge connected to the leak down tester extension that goes into the spark plug hole. Then you can rotate the crank and watch pressure build then drop as you pass tdc. Then you connect the leak down tester and find that it wasn't exactly there and the crank spins and you do it again until it stays in place. Then repeat for all four cylinders.

If the leakdown is below about 6-7% and you only notice air coming out the oil cap then I would say it's all in good shape. Then to narrow down any excess leaking you also will want to pull off the intake piping and listen for air leaking through the intake valves, and possibly the exhaust manifold. It's actually a pretty involved procedure if done right and I have not seen or heard of many places actually doing all that.

But before all that I would replace the pcv and make sure all the associated hoses are in good shape and also just check and top off the oil regularly.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I'd be interested to hear what they say about it and if, should a replacement short block be needed, it helps at all. Some people were going through multiple replacements and still having the same issue it seems like.

The second time it happened (around 3000 miles) they said the oil consumption was normal. Due to the high heat, it was probably 90 degrees at the time, and the fact that I was driving on the highway the oil thinned out just enough to set the light off. I forgot to mention that the light would only turn on periodically, not that often, and sometimes only for a few minutes.They topped me off and sent me on my way. The car is almost at 16,000 miles and the only time it happened was just before I did my second oil change.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mariooncrack posted:

The second time it happened (around 3000 miles) they said the oil consumption was normal. Due to the high heat, it was probably 90 degrees at the time, and the fact that I was driving on the highway the oil thinned out just enough to set the light off. I forgot to mention that the light would only turn on periodically, not that often, and sometimes only for a few minutes.They topped me off and sent me on my way. The car is almost at 16,000 miles and the only time it happened was just before I did my second oil change.

The Subaru people (and the manual) will tell you this is normal and working to specification. It's not reasonable that a modern car is designed so poorly that it goes through oil like a 15 year old car with bad seals.

I'd make them take the lemon back and get something else.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010
No oil issues here yet, but I just noticed a clicking from depressing the clutch pedal in my 2011 WRX. Is this normal, and I just have not noticed it until now? Is the clutch switch always this noisy?

si
Apr 26, 2004

jamal posted:

The other big cause of oil consumption is leaking valve seals, or the turbo itself on cars that have one.

But before all that I would replace the pcv and make sure all the associated hoses are in good shape and also just check and top off the oil regularly.

Don't forget the spark gaskets and valve cover gaskets. On older N/As, those things can get leaking pretty impressively well. Most 200k car's engine bays are grimey enough to not be as obvious as maybe it should be. I wouldn't be surprised if my 2.5RS' were dumping a half a quart out of those seals between every change interval at 112k.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

daslog posted:

The Subaru people (and the manual) will tell you this is normal and working to specification. It's not reasonable that a modern car is designed so poorly that it goes through oil like a 15 year old car with bad seals.

I'd make them take the lemon back and get something else.

Yeah that's the crazy part. I mean I check my oil on all my cars every couple weeks, just because it's something you should do. But I've never had a car blow through a quart in 1500 miles, not even on my oldest jankiest 200k+ mi rides.

The fact that they seem to be saying that consumption like that is OK on a brand new car is pretty ridiculous, and they've even put it in the drat manual at this point. Pretty disingenuous if you ask me. Apparently many dealers routinely overfill these FB engines now too, so that when you get an oil consumption test done (or even check it on your own at 1500mi after the change) it looks "ok." My family has owned nothing but subarus since the early 90s, and I love them and all their little idiosyncrasies, but this is something that could very possibly turn me off to the brand.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Yeah, I'm going to get a compression check on the Impreza when I take it in to get the cruise light looked at, since it's been using more oil than usual too. It hasn't been throwing codes with the cruise light issue, at least, so it's probably related to the CV replacement I had done prior. Or not. Who knows.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
In my opinion, Subaru's high oil consuption limits are to avoid changing out a lot of cracked pistons on 2.5 turbos. If you're burning 1qt over 1000mi or whatever they say is ok I'd give it about a 95% chance a ringland is cracked.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

In my opinion, Subaru's high oil consuption limits are to avoid changing out a lot of cracked pistons on 2.5 turbos. If you're burning 1qt over 1000mi or whatever they say is ok I'd give it about a 95% chance a ringland is cracked.

Isn't that like the published limit for like everyone?
(I bet it is even the published limit on rx8s, which should tell you how much oil that really is on a piston motor.)
I really wish people had told me this stuff before my warranty expired.

Subaru will warranty an engine for low compression, so that wouldn't get around everything, only the stupid or ignorant (yo).

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
It'd be just my luck to have a cracked ringland in a non-turbo Subaru.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I must have hit the boxer lottery as my EJ20 Turbo, EJ25 Turbo, and now FA20 have all had non-measurable levels of oil consumption between changes.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm pretty sure the issues are subject to the internet echo chamber illusion, at least I'd hope that's the brunt of it.

In other news, I ordered all the various gaskets and seals I'll need to build my Franken EJ251/D motor. Guess I can't own a Subaru with doing some sort of engine swap. Shoutout to Jamal, forums Subaru superstar, for getting me all the p/n and advice I need. Thanks again!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Was driving my 2001 Subaru OBW today to work and the Check Engine light started flashing for about 10 seconds and then disappeared. Has yet to come back on. It was raining outside and my car felt like something slipped. Should I be worried?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 31, 2015

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Spark plug wires or distributor, flashing cel is a current misfire. It can flash without actually throwing a code. Because it's raining it probably got water somewhere causing the miss.

Inspect your plug wires for breaks in the insulation and make sure they're seated nice and tight.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Not a single Subaru in the family has ever had these oil consumption issues. I'm not even sure how many we have had now.

quote:

1qt over 1000mi or whatever they say is ok

That has always been the rule of thumb on any engine, even a rotary.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
In other subaru news, I got into a brief conversation today in traffic with somebody. He had the most mint condition VW vanagon synchro I have ever seen, with some sort of Subaru H6 in it. I knew people did the swap, but this was my first time seeing one in real life. Amazing.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I have a 2003 WRX that has a failed idle air control valve. The local mechanic recommended I source it myself, as it was upwards of $700 through his parts dealer. Any recommendations? I read the OP, and searched at Subaru Genuine Parts but couldn't find it there.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Not a single Subaru in the family has ever had these oil consumption issues. I'm not even sure how many we have had now.

It comes up in my family because my son is that tech at the dealership the replaces the engines. Selection bias is quite possible.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

There's a theory that the ej255/7 piston issues are due to a north america only tune that leans out in weird places. Combined with often low octane gas, that is a recipe for detonation.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it seems like you get way more issues with them than Australia. Here everyone complains about head gaskets but I'm fairly sure we have less strict emissions and way more heat than most of America.

Its mostly people who mang them all summer complaining about the gaskets (na and boosted,2 and 2.5)so it's probably not Subarus fault. You thrashed your car and got it real hot when every day is 35 degrees for several hours and then it overheated and broke? Dang.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I just checked the oil in my old 04 outback again (about 1000 miles after adding like 1.5 quarts) and it showed empty, completely dry on the dipstick! So here I am freaking out, I check it like 20 more times, still bone loving dry. Keep in mind I'm checking it like 20min after I shut the car off, as I always do with my vehicles.

My wife comes home, I get HER to pull the dipstick. Still totally dry. So I pour in like .2 quarts, just to see if that will register on the dipstick... and then the dipstick shows a level up by the warm notch. As in beyond full

What. The. gently caress. I'm glad I didn't pour a whole quart in there.

I've checked it like 10 more times since then and it's showed me between the "warm full" notch and halfway to "L" every time. How the gently caress did it read bone dry like 20 times? Anybody got a trick to getting an accurate reading when the dipstick is completely and utterly dry? Of course I'm checking it in the same place every time, it's a flat surface, etc. No different from any other vehicle I've owned. I get that their dipsticks are kinda wack and that you need to read it a few times, plus allow the oil to drip back down the tube, before getting an accurate reading. But totally dry? Repeatedly? I mean clearly there was oil in it, so how did it not show?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 1, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

I just checked the oil in my old 04 outback again (about 1000 miles after adding like 1.5 quarts) and it showed empty, completely dry on the dipstick! So here I am freaking out, I check it like 20 more times, still bone loving dry. Keep in mind I'm checking it like 20min after I shut the car off, as I always do with my vehicles.

My wife comes home, I get HER to pull the dipstick. Still totally dry. So I pour in like .2 quarts, just to see if that will register on the dipstick... and then the dipstick shows a level up by the warm notch. As in beyond full

What. The. gently caress. I'm glad I didn't pour a whole quart in there.

I've checked it like 10 more times since then and it's showed me between the "warm full" notch and halfway to "L" every time. How the gently caress did it read bone dry like 20 times? Anybody got a trick to getting an accurate reading when the dipstick is completely and utterly dry? Of course I'm checking it in the same place every time, it's a flat surface, etc. No different from any other vehicle I've owned. I get that their dipsticks are kinda wack and that you need to read it a few times, plus allow the oil to drip back down the tube, before getting an accurate reading. But totally dry? Repeatedly? I mean clearly there was oil in it, so how did it not show?

The dipstick "full" to "empty" is only about a half a quart.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
So how did .2 quarts take it from below E (dipstick totally dry) to beyond full?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

So how did .2 quarts take it from below E (dipstick totally dry) to beyond full?

Dunno , there are a couple of things it could be but you said 20 minutes passed and that's all way beyond the normal time frames.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah. That's what's boggling my mind.

I guess I just gotta check it in the morning now instead of 20min after getting home.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I always check mine at the same time in the same place, because I've seen some really weird poo poo if you check it hot vs. hot + 20 vs. hot + 60 vs. the following morning.

Only on my '03. The other two Subarus I've owned have read relatively like you would expect.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Ever since I dropped the "new" (110k miles) engine into my Fozzy it hasn't used a drop of oil or coolant. I'm kinda worried it's just lulling me into this false sense of security and then it'll dump all its oil out the RMS during my commute one day or something...

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

There's a theory that the ej255/7 piston issues are due to a north america only tune that leans out in weird places. Combined with often low octane gas, that is a recipe for detonation.

That would do it. It's always bizarred the gently caress out of me NorthAmerican engines just always seem to have more issues.

The only issue I have found that is common is the loving oil pickup snapping off.

si
Apr 26, 2004

nm posted:

Is there a theory for the bearings? My EJ255 went at 48k - "stage 2", never low on oil, oil pressure, AFR, and boost gauges, never saw any leaning out or odd behavior. Good midwest Shell 93, no indication of knock or fine knock learning. Sounds like a barrel of marbles in there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

si posted:

Is there a theory for the bearings? My EJ255 went at 48k - "stage 2", never low on oil, oil pressure, AFR, and boost gauges, never saw any leaning out or odd behavior. Good midwest Shell 93, no indication of knock or fine knock learning. Sounds like a barrel of marbles in there.

I don't think the ej255 really has a history of bearing issues. The only time therr were issues when they recommended 7500mi on non-synthetic oil. Was yours from that period?
Otherwise, poo poo luck happens. LGT.com for example is a land of "piston rings blew" and "turbo blew" (because no one checks oil), even a few hg issues, but few bearing issues.

Well, and the oil tube pickup issue. It might have caused low enough oil pressure to drop pessure to harmful levels without triggering a light.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

2012 Impreza hatch. When I have my wife and some suitcases in the car, or even just people in the back seats, my rear suspension sags and makes the car look slammed. Is this bad for the car's health? I've driven from Philly to New Orleans over the past week, and still have to drive on to California over the next 6 days. It can't be much more than 600lbs worth of humans and cargo in the car. It seems crazy that it looks so low.

I don't know what kind of premature wear I can expect, but when it comes time to replace things, are there better springs that won't sag as much under the weight without also ruining ride quality of an unloaded car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
It's more or less what springs are meant to do. If it's not rubbing I wouldn't worry about it.

Make sure that you are under the safe load limit printed on the door jamb but I think you are.

si
Apr 26, 2004

nm posted:

I don't think the ej255 really has a history of bearing issues. The only time therr were issues when they recommended 7500mi on non-synthetic oil. Was yours from that period?
Otherwise, poo poo luck happens. LGT.com for example is a land of "piston rings blew" and "turbo blew" (because no one checks oil), even a few hg issues, but few bearing issues.

Well, and the oil tube pickup issue. It might have caused low enough oil pressure to drop pessure to harmful levels without triggering a light.

Oh it definitely does. Mine was a 2009 in the VIN range when there was a stop sale for bad shortblock internals.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/

Course, mine was 'released' and didn't fail for 48k miles, so out of luck on that one.

Rod bearing failures are a really common story all over NASIOC/LGT/etc. Just seems to be for a wide variety of reasons.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

si posted:

Oh it definitely does. Mine was a 2009 in the VIN range when there was a stop sale for bad shortblock internals.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/subaru-issues-stop-sale-on-all-models-equipped-with-turbod-2/

Course, mine was 'released' and didn't fail for 48k miles, so out of luck on that one.

Rod bearing failures are a really common story all over NASIOC/LGT/etc. Just seems to be for a wide variety of reasons.
Yours probably got the bad batch.
Nasioc/lgt, those guys drive like assholes and don't check their oil combined with the pickup tube issue.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
Every time I see a "BRAND NEW STI...BLOWN RINGLAND/SPUN BEARING" post on nasioc or iwsti, the very first thing they always point out, is that the car was "never beaten on or redlined. Meticulously cared for and unmodified." All I can think of is "lol.....suuuuuuure." Basically, I dont believe a word they say....

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
No, it hasn't been modified. No, I don't know where all of those tooling marks came from.

si
Apr 26, 2004

TheFargate posted:

Every time I see a "BRAND NEW STI...BLOWN RINGLAND/SPUN BEARING" post on nasioc or iwsti, the very first thing they always point out, is that the car was "never beaten on or redlined. Meticulously cared for and unmodified." All I can think of is "lol.....suuuuuuure." Basically, I dont believe a word they say....

I thought the same, until mine let go. I'm still pretty confused as to what went wrong. Modified, yes - but not even to the levels a stock 09+ WRX EJ255 would see. Kind of baffled by the whole thing honestly. I always meant to abuse the spec.B, but life got in the way and I never got a chance to do it. It's been nothing but a commuter.

So I have a bit more empathy for the people who claim it now.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Facebook sales pages are even better for stuff like that. If you see someone hunting for stock parts, 100% guarantee the week later they'll have their car up with NEVER TRACKED UNMOLESTED CLEANEST EXAMPLE IN AUSTRALIA I KNOW WHAT I HAVE NO LOWBALLING

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
There are definitely going to be lemons here and there but when I see the same person, posting the same story on multiple enthusiast forums....I find it a little suspect. IDK so far the VaporSTI saga on nasioc has been pretty unbeatable. If you havnt read it please do.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Facebook sales pages are even better for stuff like that. If you see someone hunting for stock parts, 100% guarantee the week later they'll have their car up with NEVER TRACKED UNMOLESTED CLEANEST EXAMPLE IN AUSTRALIA I KNOW WHAT I HAVE NO LOWBALLING

These are pretty fantastic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

TheFargate posted:

There are definitely going to be lemons here and there but when I see the same person, posting the same story on multiple enthusiast forums....I find it a little suspect. IDK so far the VaporSTI saga on nasioc has been pretty unbeatable. If you havnt read it please do.

There's not enough money for me to ever visit that shithole again. Can we have a a TL:DR version here?