Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

iOS compatibility? Is that really going to be a thing or is the listing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

iOS compatibility? Is that really going to be a thing or is the listing wrong?

It's been rumored to be in the works, but it's also possible for Amazon listings to be wrong.

Edit: AndroidPolice claims to have a reliable source off the record that Android Wear will be receiving iOS support soon.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 28, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Reverse Centaur posted:

I think I'm the only one here with the Urbane. I think it's better than every other smartwatch, by a mile internally (close to the GWR for obvious reasons) and on par with the 360 aesthetically. I've owned most of them. I am having trouble getting a steel band to match tint perfectly, but that's about it. I don't think Huawei or 360-2 are worth waiting for either, although I've had my Urbane for a long time now.

Here's how it looks on my large-ish wrist

I too have an Urbane, got it around launch as a gift in Rose Gold with a brown leather strap. It's definitely better than most other wear watches I've tried. I don't use mine that much though as like most normal people there is very little current smartwatches are needed for if anything. Most of the time I can't find a compelling reason to use it. Voice texting is OK, sometimes lovely. Notifications are OK I guess, but I don't really care half the time. So far all I do with it when I wear it is check the time and I wore it once playing golf for quick yardages which is wasn't that good for (I blame the phone app's support). I haven't worn it in several months now because it's hard to wear it when I have real watches that looks much better and can do the 1 thing I use it for most.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rastor posted:

It's been rumored to be in the works, but it's also possible for Amazon listings to be wrong.

Edit: AndroidPolice claims to have a reliable source off the record that Android Wear will be receiving iOS support soon.

Just curious, why is Apple allowing this? Is it something that they cannot stop due to having to have whichever API (or whatever) it's plugged into open for other 3rd party apps/devices or is it a legal requirement? Just seems very un-Apple like to allow this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Just curious, why is Apple allowing this? Is it something that they cannot stop due to having to have whichever API (or whatever) it's plugged into open for other 3rd party apps/devices or is it a legal requirement? Just seems very un-Apple like to allow this.

It's a three part question, most of the functionality would be possible through the Apple Notification Service, it's what Pebble and cars and probably even the Apple Watch use, it's an open framework and Apple can't really stop Google from using it any more than they can stop Ford from. I think Google Glass even uses it.

The second part though is if Apple let's Google release an iOS app and the answer to that is probably yes if they won't want to be sued by Google.

The final part is if Google even wants to go down this path, Android Wear is heavily integrated into Android and Google wants developers developing the same kind of rich apps for Wear that Apple does except they won't work on iOS. There is nothing really stopping them but it's hard to imagine them getting anything close to 1:1 parity on iOS/Android which could sour any progress they have made on making Wear mainstream. "Oh, yeah, I bought one of those Google Watches, it worked like poo poo on my iPhone". "Oh, I swear, it actually works really well on Android phones!"

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Amazon listing has been taken down. I guess that wasn't supposed to go up until closer to 9/2.

Before it disappeared, a stainless steel with stainless steel link band color option was spotted halfway between the stainless steel with leather strap and black stainless steel price points.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

The Amazon listing has been taken down. I guess that wasn't supposed to go up until closer to 9/2.

Before it disappeared, a stainless steel with stainless steel link band color option was spotted halfway between the stainless steel with leather strap and black stainless steel price points.

I like the stainless steel link band. Really the only thing that scares me on the Huawei watch is a lack of Qi which just seems way more reliable over time than pogo pins are going to be.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Moto 360 II case / band options

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
AndroidWear.rss:

LastInLine posted:

I like the stainless steel link band. Really the only thing that scares me on the Huawei watch is a lack of Qi which just seems way more reliable over time than pogo pins are going to be.

Any reliability issues would happen on the charger side (which can easily be replaced, with or without warranty), not the watch side. Qi only has its own downside compared to other watches: no access to ADB sideload (which is totally a thing a watch needs). Though I guess nothing stops Motorola selling an official cable to the hidden pogo pins underneath the strap to consumers one day, instead of keeping it to themselves.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any loss in functionality by using iOS? It doesn't seem so, which is great for the platform if so.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rastor posted:

Moto 360 II case / band options

Are the top ones thinner or is it just the photo?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

Any reliability issues would happen on the charger side (which can easily be replaced, with or without warranty), not the watch side. Qi only has its own downside compared to other watches: no access to ADB sideload (which is totally a thing a watch needs). Though I guess nothing stops Motorola selling an official cable to the hidden pogo pins underneath the strap to consumers one day, instead of keeping it to themselves.

How do you know it's on the charger end? I'm genuinely curious as my old Logitech Harmony ended up refusing to charge on its pogo-pinned cradle and as far as I could tell both ends looked fine, it just stopped working. Do the other watches that have proprietary charger problems (was it the LGs? I wasn't paying attention too closely) use a similar connector?

Looking at the bezel size on the 360/2 versus the Huawei, I really can't see a difference in thinness that makes the flat tire an acceptable compromise, especially when the model of Huawei I would want is only going to be $400.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Are the top ones thinner or is it just the photo?

I'm guessing the middle photo is a more-zoomed-in photo of the smaller size option. They are probably similar thickness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

no access to ADB sideload (which is totally a thing a watch needs)

I really hope that is sarcasm.

Qi is great for charging a smartwatch since you have hundreds of products you can buy to charge your smartwatch since there's an overlaping market with phones.

I think it's great that I don't need to unplug and carry my motorola charger any time I travel and instead can just drop my Qi enabled battery pack in my bag.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

my Qi enabled battery pack

You've posted it before, but would you mind posting again which one you have?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

My work just bought me this Sony one. It's not bad but then it was free to me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Android Wear support for iOS is official

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

It's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Looks like the current model is updated and slightly different than when I bought, I think mine is only 3000 mAh.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 31, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Looks like the current model is updated and slightly different than when I bought, I think mine is only 3000 mAh.

That's baller as gently caress. I love that you can both charge it wirelessly and charge wirelessly with it

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Any loss in functionality by using iOS? It doesn't seem so, which is great for the platform if so.

The limitation is no 3rd party apps which aren't watchfaces, so you'll only get system apps in the Demand screen/Launcher. Verge hands-on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWsid6C6jbU

TBF the Googler says "for the initial release", but even if isn't a technical problem with porting the Wear app model (bundling Watch APKs with phone apps) App store rules prevent a 3rd party app advertising support for competing platforms so there's definitely a marketing one.

LastInLine posted:

How do you know it's on the charger end? I'm genuinely curious as my old Logitech Harmony ended up refusing to charge on its pogo-pinned cradle and as far as I could tell both ends looked fine, it just stopped working. Do the other watches that have proprietary charger problems (was it the LGs? I wasn't paying attention too closely) use a similar connector?

Part general knowledge (the most typical failure cases are the plating coming off the pin side) and part experience: I got the original G Watch on launch (aka boxy mini-Nexus 5 strapped to your wrist) and it had a flaw in its early firmware where it passed current through the contacts when not on the charger causing corrosion when it interacted with sweat. I didn't bother swapping it last year (effort/shame), so when the watch started intermittently charging earlier this year I just assumed it had finally tapped out so went through Google Play warranty. The replacement shipped with some prototype early build with weird icons, so decided to make what I assumed was last ditch attempt to pull data off the old watch via ADB to compare/contrast(as normal people do) and found out it charged perfectly and the new watch didn't charge on the old charger at all. Could always be a QA coincidence and not the corrosion/friction of the first watch which damaged the pins in the first place but either way not my problem.

Pretty sure every non-360 watch minus the Sony Smartwatch 3 (which uses microusb directly) and the Samsung Live (which has a flawed design causing it to break off the body and damage the watch) charges via a microUSB pogo dock of some kind and they've had no widespread issues.

quote:

Looking at the bezel size on the 360/2 versus the Huawei, I really can't see a difference in thinness that makes the flat tire an acceptable compromise, especially when the model of Huawei I would want is only going to be $400.

Unless they've buried it under the screen like Apple Watch the Huawei probably doesn't have an ambient light sensor (if you care about that).

bull3964 posted:

I really hope that is sarcasm.

Yup, non-Developers have no need of it since the Wear OTA rollouts are short even if you lose the lottery. Still worth pointing out in case it's a priority.

Qi is a definite advantage, but the pogo docks are so small/the battery life on other watches is so much better than the OG 360 that it really isn't that big a deal in practice.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

TraderStav posted:

All the articles I've read (including the official google blog) have been kinda cagey on if it'll support apple's built in text/iMessage which would be a huge downside if it didn't.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

All the articles I've read (including the official google blog) have been kinda cagey on if it'll support apple's built in text/iMessage which would be a huge downside if it didn't.

According to what I read it supports receiving notifications but specifically does not allow you to voice reply to anything that didn't come from Gmail.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

AndroidWear.rss:

[list]
[*]Android Wear for iPhone is official: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/android-wear-now-works-with-iphones.html
(Though the only 1st gen/pre-IFA watch to get it is the LG Urbane.)

I know that's what Google said, but Droid-Life was able to pair up a 360 without issue.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/31/moto-360-android-wear-ios/

Caveat seems to be that it needs to be running the latest update first and you can't update the watch without pairing it to the phone first. That's likely why the LG Urbane is the only "official" one right now, it's probably shipping with the latest update.

My bet is many of the 1st gen won't ever be on the official list due to the fact that they aren't going to pull stock and flash them to v1.3 at this point. However, if you have one fully updated, it will likely work.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So apparently as one would completely expect Android Wear on iOS is gimped as hell.

I guess I don't understand, were the Wear partners pressuring the hell out of Google to bring iOS compatibility?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Three Olives posted:

So apparently as one would completely expect Android Wear on iOS is gimped as hell.

I guess I don't understand, were the Wear partners pressuring the hell out of Google to bring iOS compatibility?

I guess it depends on how you think of Android Wear. If Wear functionality to you is receiving notifications on your wrist, getting Now cards, and doing Google searches with your voice, then 100% of the functionality is there on iOS.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Androidwear.rss

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Huawei watch impressions embargo seems to have lifted:

Android Central
Pocketnow
Phandroid
Android Police

Looks really nice, I'll definitely pick one up at some point. Integrating the USB cable into its charging dock is kind of annoying but I'll get over it.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 2, 2015

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
The I am kind of bummed that the Huawei watch doesn't have qi charging. It's like the one thing preventing me from buying it.

Now that I think about it, isn't the 360 is the only android wear currently released to support qi charging? I'm figuring the gen 2 360s will also have it, but are there any other android wearables in the near future that'll support it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeathSandwich posted:

The I am kind of bummed that the Huawei watch doesn't have qi charging. It's like the one thing preventing me from buying it.

Now that I think about it, isn't the 360 is the only android wear currently released to support qi charging? I'm figuring the gen 2 360s will also have it, but are there any other android wearables in the near future that'll support it?

I haven't heard of any and that's was my main concern. Now that I'm seeing so many pictures of it though I really don't like how dished the bezel is against the screen. It's not as tacky as the Urbane but it's not a whole lot better either. I also don't like that it lacks an ambient light sensor.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Qi charging on watches is overrated. It provides the same experience as plunking the watch down on a magnetic pad.

Glad they're not pre-ordering in Canada yet so I'm not tempted to grab one before the others debut at IFA this weekend.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Reverse Centaur posted:

Qi charging on watches is overrated. It provides the same experience as plunking the watch down on a magnetic pad.

Glad they're not pre-ordering in Canada yet so I'm not tempted to grab one before the others debut at IFA this weekend.

The benefit of Qi charging on watches is ubiquity of chargers.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

OK that I get. I only have one tylt vu for my phone.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
Hello fellow wrist flickers. Trip report, I've been dailying a 360 for 9 months now and I really adore the thing. What should I treat it too as my leather band is starting to get a bit, well you know. poo poo. I'm also in the UK so I am unsure of the availability of the official metal band, any advice?

Also I get about 40 hours from the thing. Cinema mode rules.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Moto 360 2015 embargo lifted:

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-2015-moto-360

http://pocketnow.com/2015/09/02/moto-360-hands-on

http://phandroid.com/2015/09/02/moto-360-sport-everything-to-know-2015/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/2/9242811/new-moto-360-smartwatch-2015-price-specs-date

MKHD

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/02/moto-360-2nd-gen-quick-overview-and-tour/

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/hands-on-with-the-new-moto-360-righting-the-wrongs-of-the-original-version/

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 2, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Seems like most people will be choosing between flat tire and light sensor vs always on full circle. Otherwise the watches are nearly identical. I hope Huawei doens't forget about Canada like Moto does.

Still wanna see dat Urbane LTE style Android Wear watch though. I've been very happy with LG's smartwatches and feel more comfortable with them than Huawei.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Have they mentioned whether the 2015 360 is qi changing or proprietary?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
As wonderful as Qi on a watch may be, can the watch lay flat on a Qi pad if it has a metal band? All the photos I've seen is the leather band opened and the watch laying flat. If if can, wouldn't it be a janky process to delicately place it so that it balances?

At this point, the Huawei and Moto are essentially identical (as are all same-gen Wear devices it seems) so it comes down to ambient sensor/flat tire/qi and always on/oled/round.

If the Huawei is very visible in sun, I think that's the one I prefer. But $400? drat.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Funny, Moto's new watchface is very much like the one I designed for myself in Pujie Black.

I'm satisfied with my OG 360, so I don't think I'll be jumping up for one of these new ones quite yet. Still, I'm happy to see the improvements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I may jump simply because I'm going to RMA my current 360 before the end of the month due to the cracked back issue and once I get it back, it seems like a good time to sell it since it should be a completely fresh refurb. I wouldn't want to risk it cracking again which would lower resale value.

I'd probably pony up for the steel band this time as I already have a brown 360 band that I never got around to putting on my current watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kakairo posted:

Funny, Moto's new watchface is very much like the one I designed for myself in Pujie Black.

Yeah seeing that must have been a bit of a "what the hell" moment for the Pujie Black dev. Especially since he's one of the few who did something new instead of just ripping off existing faces/looks.