Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yamcha didn't choose to stop fighting, he was shamed into it.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Also Gohan still constantly fights, he just gets trashed instantly so it's not like he stopped fighting. If he really really quit fighting it'd be easier to stomach but instead he still dutifully shows up to get his rear end beat every movie.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

When the stakes are real he at least steps up to try and defend the Earth, even if he knows he's probably going to get trashed, isn't that a good thing really? Unlike some other fighters he at least tries. Also Pan will actually grow up in a two parent household because of Gohan's wise decision to retire from full-time fightmaning

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lovely Gohan Who Sucks could still effortlessly trump every other character not named Goku or Vegeta so it kinda makes sense why he keeps showing up. He's still the third biggest gun they have.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

New Leaf posted:

That's literally the first time I've ever seen that comparison, very nice.

Yeah, I'm not sure if the kept it for Kai since I haven't got around to watching it. By the way, how many fights take place in those wastelands?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think Gohan kinda takes the role Worf did in TNG, a strong guy that gets beat up to show how strong the villain is.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I think Gohan kinda takes the role Worf did in TNG, a strong guy that gets beat up to show how strong the villain is.

It's great that Yamcha filled this role in Dragonball and early Z; Gohan and Yamcha had similar hairstyles for pretty much every arc.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

lovely Gohan Who Sucks could still effortlessly trump every other character not named Goku or Vegeta so it kinda makes sense why he keeps showing up. He's still the third biggest gun they have.

Mr. Buu is by Return of F, which is why he's off sleeping somewhere.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope Gohan has at least a snap moment "not my bulma" style of sudden competence again, at some point.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Turns out that all his "research" and "study" was into the practical applications of his fist in your face. Gohan becomes so knowledgeable about fighting and ki that he can just take you apart surgically with the least conceivable effort, following your flow of ki to target your weak spots and predict your attacks.

If I wasn't going to be stuck as the GM on the Parallels playtest... :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Mr. Buu is by Return of F, which is why he's off sleeping somewhere.

I think Mr. Buu is weaker, he's just still a Buu and thus you can't keep his rear end down.

Buu is effectively a Kai with Buu regeneration once he loses Evil Buu and the Kais were pretty scrub-tier in the long run. "Buu Regeneration" would be enough to make him meaningful in any situation but still.

(Well also he can turn everyone to candy which is one of those moves that is so powerful it can never actually work on a real opponent.)

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
But he could be #1. What I wouldn't give for an alternate future where Goku stays gone, Gohan stays on top, uncle Vegeta and uncle Piccolo compete for top mentor role. Hopefully I can learn Japanese around the time time travel is figured out to go pitch this to Arika Toriyama.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I think Mr. Buu is weaker, he's just still a Buu and thus you can't keep his rear end down.

Buu is effectively a Kai with Buu regeneration once he loses Evil Buu and the Kais were pretty scrub-tier in the long run. "Buu Regeneration" would be enough to make him meaningful in any situation but still.

(Well also he can turn everyone to candy which is one of those moves that is so powerful it can never actually work on a real opponent.)

At this point he's weaker (which is why Gohan went in last with the, "time to end it" mentality), but by Revival F, where Gohan degraded to only going SSJ1, Buu is clearly more powerful since he hovers around the SSJ2 range (judging by how he did against Kid Buu as compared to Vegeta).

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone noticed that Super seems to be making Beerus way more actively malevolent? I'm liking the show on the whole but I'm not sure how I feel about that choice.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Has anyone noticed that Super seems to be making Beerus way more actively malevolent? I'm liking the show on the whole but I'm not sure how I feel about that choice.

He really wanted that loving pudding man...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

why are bad guys bad im confused

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

he'll come around more when goku beats him up probably. they need to have him be more of a jerk so stretching out how mad he is to last longer makes some sense

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Enourmo posted:

Don't be dense. There's clearly a disconnect between the specifics of how Beerus is being portrayed in Super and how he was portrayed in Battle of Gods.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Beerus is kind of malevolent in general.The dude murders planets for a living. The only reason he's remotely nice is because he has a fight-boner for Goku.

He'll probably end up totally chill but even then he murders planets for a living.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
As always, when you're watching the show don't care or think about the movies cause they don't fit in anywhere.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Enourmo posted:

In Battle of Gods, he wasn't really a bad guy, though. He destroyed poo poo because that's just what he does, full stop, and he was pretty pleasant up until the pudding scene. Super seems to be making him more like an omnipotent Frieza, who actively takes pleasure in tormenting people.

e: and yes, I'm aware that the movies don't count anymore, etc, it just strikes me as an odd change. The stuff with Vegeta when he first landed, in particular, kinda made me go "...wait, huh?"

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 31, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's honestly the least jarring characterization change yet between movies and not-movies; see whimpering Vegeta in Broly I, etc.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Part of that's likely down to Toriyama not being quite so involved in the direction of scenes and the exact specifics of a script on the anime, even if they share general details. See: Manga Beerus blows up the planet because they tried to poison him, anime Beerus because he just flat out didn't like the food.

On average, between his depictions, Beerus is simply extremely powerful whilst unfortunately also extremely petty; a Zeus whose pleasures involve food more than mortal women, or if you're into video games, Alduin from Skyrim. He has a cosmic duty and he fulfils it, but he's also got a lot of spare time on his hands and gets bored easily, leaving him to run amok and do things that aren't in line with the general way of the cosmos. The ultimate spoiled brat.

That is also where I suspect he and Champa will end up differing: Ie, where Beerus is petty, he's still largely content to just be the god of destruction, with all the perks it already gives him (and indeed, might be up for retiring from the position). Champa meanwhile, might well want more.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For analogy, it feels like if they introduced Broly in the show and had him be a really pleasant scholar and old friend of Goku

e: yeah, that makes sense, though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Beerus is kind of malevolent in general.The dude murders planets for a living. The only reason he's remotely nice is because he has a fight-boner for Goku.

He'll probably end up totally chill but even then he murders planets for a living.

Beerus is essentially Vegeta and Piccolo

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Can Cell go Super Saiyan?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Countblanc posted:

Can Cell go Super Saiyan?

He sort of did in the anime.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

For analogy, it feels like if they introduced Broly in the show and had him be a really pleasant scholar and old friend of Goku

e: yeah, that makes sense, though.

Yeah but that would make broly good

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Some Numbers posted:

He sort of did in the anime.

yeah wasn't his Super Perfect Form or whatever with the electricity crackling around him after he died supposed to be like going super saiyan? i thought that felt pretty clear

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kelp Plankton posted:

yeah wasn't his Super Perfect Form or whatever with the electricity crackling around him after he died supposed to be like going super saiyan? i thought that felt pretty clear

That was his version of a Zenkai, I believe. It was just a visual way to represent his power increase by giving him the same effect as SSJ2.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is God ki still a thing in Super? If so, have they bothered to explain it any further?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blue Star posted:

Is God ki still a thing in Super? If so, have they bothered to explain it any further?

Goku hasn't even hit SS God yet. Give it an episode or 5. The closest they've gone was Dende being able to sense Beerus.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As always, when you're watching the show don't care or think about the movies cause they don't fit in anywhere.

except the movies are way better than the show and it's telling the exact same story so it's impossible not to think of the movies

beerus in the show is clearly being played up to be more of a directly evil villain which ignores why he's a popular character to begin with

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
What does Japan think of Super?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

zelah posted:

What does Japan think of Super?

They thought episode 4 had poo poo animation.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think Beerus is being a superintelligent space cat and is doing things like gently caress with Vegeta because that's what a cat would do; gently caress with a dude, especially if that dude was Vegeta.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'd gently caress vegeta

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sorry I misread that

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I meant I'd gently caress vegeta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Nessus posted:

I think Beerus is being a superintelligent space cat and is doing things like gently caress with Vegeta because that's what a cat would do; gently caress with a dude, especially if that dude was Vegeta.

Vegeta is terrible with cats. It's the hair; they want to claw and swipe at it but he keeps trying to destroy them in retaliation. This is definitely 100% canon and Toriyama's pet cat is the source.

• Locked thread