Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I like the Souls games enough to keep buying them but not to ever beat one, but I grabbed Bloodborne as I was buying my PS4 and it fixes issues I didn't realize I even had with the Souls games. The setting is interesting and less generic than some of the previous games' levels, the combat is refreshingly quick, and the cryptic plot feels awesomely oppressive.

Plus it's like two buttons to stream my gameplay live so all my Souls-devotee friends can tell me how badly I suck in nearly real-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

LawfulWaffle posted:

What is your favorite part of the series, im pooping!?

In snake eater if u leave the tracker in snakes back then he and Eva have a shadow wrestling match/dance in the cave

actually when old snake humps the ground in mgs4 and he rear end jiggle

im pooping! has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Aug 31, 2015

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
That explains so much about Borderlands 2

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Ryoshi posted:

I like the Souls games enough to keep buying them but not to ever beat one, but I grabbed Bloodborne as I was buying my PS4 and it fixes issues I didn't realize I even had with the Souls games. The setting is interesting and less generic than some of the previous games' levels, the combat is refreshingly quick, and the cryptic plot feels awesomely oppressive.

Plus it's like two buttons to stream my gameplay live so all my Souls-devotee friends can tell me how badly I suck in nearly real-time.

I recently jumped back to my old melee character on DS2 to check something out (PS3 directly after playing it on PS4, which made for a REALLY jarring difference in frame rate) and Jesus Christ it's hard to go back to the sluggish combat of Dark Souls after getting used to the fast paced Bloodborne.

I thought BB was going to be the bigger struggle, having to get used to having no shield but the truth is the incredibly generous dodging in it more than made up for it.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I don't understand why so many people are obsessed with him, his games are sometimes weird in a good way but he's basically a horny teenager and can't resist making sure you know that all the time in his character designs.

I think its because his games are generally very solid mechanically and have tons of neat hidden stuff to get, that and I assume most sane folk don't give a poo poo about scantily clad women in videogames.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not really solid mechanically though.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Does the Kojima Guy Who Poops His Pants make an appearance?

Cause lmao he poops his pants!!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah it took him up until ground zeros to develop a control scheme that didn't make me feel like me killing.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Does the Kojima Guy Who Poops His Pants make an appearance?

Cause lmao he poops his pants!!

I don't think so, because his grandfather who showed up in MGS3 is probably too old to do much and he himself is probably too young to be pooping his pants out in the battlefield instead of a classroom.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been thinking about Metal Gear for some reason so here's a little thing from Peace Walker: The loading icon appears to be a peace sign but if you look closely it's actually a jet. A startling juxtaposition that really makes u think. However, the loading screen after one scene I think the Peace Walker walking into the ocean? I haven't played it since release so I don't quite remember is actually a normal peace sign. I thought that was neat.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Exit Strategy posted:

"There are two Hideo Kojimas. One Kojima injects every Metal Gear Solid game with earnest if overbearing discussions of nuclear disarmament, the morality of genetic experimentation, the nature of warfare, and the difference between patriotism and terrorism. The other Kojima lets you call Rose in Metal Gear Solid 4 and shake your SIXAXIS to make her boobs jiggle."

I know you didn't write this but isn't this legitimately a bad idea? A wrong and even harmful way to think about things you have mixed feelings about

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Immortal Defense just got added to Steam and, at the suggestion of the Steam thread, I emailed the author with a copy of my PayPal receipt from half a decade ago when I bought the game directly from him and he sent me a steam code no questions asked. It's super cool that a dev was willing to go above and beyond the call of duty like that, and it's pretty awesome that it's becoming more common (the developers of You Must Build A Boat did something similar where anybody who owned a copy of their previous game 10000000 or bought the mobile version of YMBAB could get a free code on Steam).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I got a free version of The Wasted Land when I e-mailed the company after buying it for the wrong platform.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nice detail from Mad Max, which just released: Pal-around buddy Chumbucket sits on the back of Max's car when he's out in the wastes, and if your car takes damage you can stop and have him repair it on the spot. The process is pretty slow compared to faster sources of repair, but a nice thing the devs didn't have to do is that if you physically leave the car to go scavenge or otherwise, Chumbucket automatically gets to repairing it while you're gone, which is cool.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

swamp waste posted:

I know you didn't write this but isn't this legitimately a bad idea? A wrong and even harmful way to think about things you have mixed feelings about

What mixed feelings? I love the gently caress out of the Metal Gear games and dgaf about other people's opinions about my opinions. I just found the quote relevant.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

swamp waste posted:

Well, I dunno dude, are you going to explain exactly what you are talking about?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

An actual little thing in Phantom Pain :
The game just wished me happy birthday, and I was treated to a little cutscene of Ocelot and all his soldier buddies presenting Big Boss with a cake that they baked.

And he then tries to light his cigar from the candles.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
2 Phantom Pain things:

1. In the prologue there is an npc running around with you. At one point I got in his way as he locked into pathing for a scripted event, instead of just sliding out of the way like you would see in a lot of games, I actually took a shoulder check from the guy and staggered a bit.

2. There's a doggy. Kaz gets really flustered if you accidentally run it over with your horse (it turns out fine, stop hiding in the bushes at night you little scamp) and even more so if you tranq it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
They also put a significant amount of effort into perfectly animating those rapid-fire bite/kiss combos that excited puppies love to do.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

swamp waste posted:

What? The guy is saying that Kojima flips between seriousness and sillyness on a whim which gives MGS its charm and arguably longevity over the near 30-years now. I agree with that and have no idea what your argument against the quote is right now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So far my favorite part of Phantom Pain is buying the loudspeaker for the chopper and setting it to play Kids in America when it comes it to rain bullets on the other bad guys.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Len posted:

So far my favorite part of Phantom Pain is buying the loudspeaker for the chopper and setting it to play Kids in America when it comes it to rain bullets on the other bad guys.

:stare:

I must buy this game

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm gonna start the Mad Max love by saying how goddamn glorious the sound direction is. Holy poo poo. With a decent pair of headphones you could swear the cars were in the room with you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Even in the early game, the driving is hefty and pretty impactful. I'm digging it a ton.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Len posted:

Wow. I unlocked the combat theme from Revengeance back in Ground Zeroes and expected that to be my jam, I didn't picture it being able to top that. Apparently it does!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

Uh the correct answer is Ride of the Valkyries as it comes in to gun down everything at the LZ :colbert:.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh the correct answer is Ride of the Valkyries as it comes in to gun down everything at the LZ :colbert:.

See I used Ride of the Valkyries but that just seemed so expected. I assume Apocalypse Now still happened in the MGS world. But there's just something about bringing the New Wave down on an accidentally alerted enemy base.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can you just use your own music or do you pick from a menu?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danger Mahoney posted:

Can you just use your own music or do you pick from a menu?

You find cassettes with individual 80's songs throughout the world in cassette players. Then you can play them at any time with your portable computer, or set them as the Helicopter's theme when it comes in to land/level the area with gatling fire.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Len posted:

See I used Ride of the Valkyries but that just seemed so expected.

The one time this worked was in Spec Ops: The Line when Jake Busey is the one playing it and he's singing along with it as you're running away from the helicopter.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
If you run at someone and punch them in Phantom Pain, you will sometimes hear the Bionic Man woosh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Exit Strategy posted:

If you run at someone and punch them in Phantom Pain, you will sometimes hear the Bionic Man woosh.

It isn't sometimes. It is if you have the Bionic Arm subweapon equipped. :allears:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Playing on PC, one thing in TPP I'm liking mechanically so far is how much easier CQC-restraint followup actions are. In GZ it was annoying to move to the arrow keys just to choose an interrogation option. These have now been changed to the number keys (not numpad, that'd still be a bit far to go), and it's sped up my flow of play just a little bit (since I just got the capability to understand what the Soviets are saying, making interrogation useful).

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

graybook posted:

Playing on PC, one thing in TPP I'm liking mechanically so far is how much easier CQC-restraint followup actions are. In GZ it was annoying to move to the arrow keys just to choose an interrogation option. These have now been changed to the number keys (not numpad, that'd still be a bit far to go), and it's sped up my flow of play just a little bit (since I just got the capability to understand what the Soviets are saying, making interrogation useful).
this also worked in GZ, it just wasn't pointed out

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.
Another fantastic Phantom Pain feature is the fact while sprinting full bore you can call your horse, have it run alongside you, and jump into the saddle without having to slow down even slightly.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Robert Edison Fulton, Junior is God's gift to comedy. I have had to call for extra Fulton bags so many times that I'm sure the helicopter has space for one dude and the rest is just Fulton bags.

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

Exit Strategy posted:

Robert Edison Fulton, Junior is God's gift to comedy. I have had to call for extra Fulton bags so many times that I'm sure the helicopter has space for one dude and the rest is just Fulton bags.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you ask for more bags? tia

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kajeto posted:

Open your map, click down on the D-Pad to toggle the cursor to Supply Drop. It'll resupply your ammo, surpressors and Fulton bags. Just drop it where you are, or near where you're running to.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

kajeto posted:

Ammo supply drops also come with Fulton bags.

The best little thing in this game is when you fulton a soldier wearing a helmet, their helmet falls of and daintily bounces on the ground while they're sent screaming into the sky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kajeto
Mar 27, 2004
Instrumento De Muerte

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Open your map, click down on the D-Pad to toggle the cursor to Supply Drop. It'll resupply your ammo, surpressors and Fulton bags. Just drop it where you are, or near where you're running to.

Ah got it, thanks! I couldn't figure out last night for some reason after looking around in the menu.