Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

mabels big day posted:

Poco-Loco probably has the strongest stand to date

Poco-Loco was the real protagonist of SBR.

And yeah I'll count both Paisley Park and Thoth too. I also like to imagine Thoth decides to give the most dick predictions possible on purpose. Also not revealing valuable information until it feels like it is some real bitchiness too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Naerasa posted:

Poco-Loco was the real protagonist of SBR.

And yeah I'll count both Paisley Park and Thoth too. I also like to imagine Thoth decides to give the most dick predictions possible on purpose. Also not revealing valuable information until it feels like it is some real bitchiness too.

Also damage done to Thoth doesn't carry over to Boingo, so that also points to it being an automatic stand not fully under his control.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Same with Whitesnake, who actually speaks back to Pucci. The automatic stands are all a bit weird and free-er

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
There's the feng shui stand the piss dude in Stone Ocean uses

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Paisley Park seems to just kind of do her own poo poo but I'm nt sure if that counts.

Paisly Park is great because its power is being the ultimate guide, to the point that - to a limited extent - it can even alter reality to get you closer to your desire. And the greatest thing? You don't even have to KNOW what you desire, because Paisley Park already does.

Hence Paisley Park continuously guiding Yasuho to Josuke :3:

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Davinci posted:

There's the feng shui stand the piss dude in Stone Ocean uses

Spice Girl from part 5 as well.

EDIT:Arguably Cheap Trick and Notorious B.I.G might count as well. Though I can't remember if either of them talk.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 31, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Has anyone said Anubis yet? That stand has its own personality and doesn't even have a user anymore.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Your way works too posted:

EDIT:Arguably Cheap Trick and Notorious B.I.G might count as well. Though I can't remember if either of them talk.

Talking was the only thing Cheap Trick could do beyond killing its host if someone else looked at it. Even non-stand users could hear it speak.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Naerasa posted:

I also like to imagine Thoth decides to give the most dick predictions possible on purpose. Also not revealing valuable information until it feels like it is some real bitchiness too.

I like that sort of check on it, though. Like if it's an ability that operates on it own, it gives it a tiny sense of personality.

Was it in here or one of the other places I read where someone pointed out that Thoth was still ultimately right about Jotaro, kinda sorta?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

ascalapha odorata posted:

I like that sort of check on it, though. Like if it's an ability that operates on it own, it gives it a tiny sense of personality.

Was it in here or one of the other places I read where someone pointed out that Thoth was still ultimately right about Jotaro, kinda sorta?

100% accurate. Yes.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Your way works too posted:

burn the pictures

e:

RaspberryCommie posted:

100% accurate. Yes.

I just looked this up for the first time and I feel like I love Jojo even more now, somehow

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Now that I,ve finished Part 7, I don't know which one betwen it and Part 4 I liked best. It was great.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

You should like all the Jojo parts.

Every single one is good. Except that one. You know the one.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

LightningKimba posted:

You should like all the Jojo parts.

Every single one is good. Except that one. You know the one.

Phantom Blood is good though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to rereading Part 5 when the full translation is out and maybe more of it will make sense

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Every part of Jojo is good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

setafd posted:

I'm looking forward to rereading Part 5 when the full translation is out and maybe more of it will make sense

It's the last pre-SBR stuff I havent seen yet.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

setafd posted:

Awkward as it could be I don't really remember any part of it being confusing. The new translation is nice, though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Awkward as it could be I don't really remember any part of it being confusing. The new translation is nice, though.

it's not Diavolo who gets me or anything, it's just the general tone and flow of the dialogue would throw me off

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I think I've got the gist of it though I'm actually more confused by gold experience than king crimson. But with the translation it's definitely more that the personality is missing and the poignant stuff at the end just becomes weird mush.

Polnareff is injured in 99 and he's on his own when it happens and after because it's the mob right? Like he'd been working with jotaro through the 90s on arrow poo poo but he dealt with the field work himself? Just trying to piece together that timeline better.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Every part of Jojo is good.

Except part 7. That part is amazing.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

mabels big day posted:

Except part 4. That part is amazing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Even whatever JoJo part you think is the worst is probably better than most other stuff. JoJo is really good.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

The problem with Part 5's old translation is there only being a handful of characters with personalities. Also that it's just wrong at times, but you can definitely still read it and grasp the story.

I just would never recommend it, when a good one is being done.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Except part 7. That part is amazing.
Acceptable.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

ascalapha odorata posted:

I think I've got the gist of it though I'm actually more confused by gold experience than king crimson. But with the translation it's definitely more that the personality is missing and the poignant stuff at the end just becomes weird mush.

Polnareff is injured in 99 and he's on his own when it happens and after because it's the mob right? Like he'd been working with jotaro through the 90s on arrow poo poo but he dealt with the field work himself? Just trying to piece together that timeline better.

All you really need to remember about Gold Experience is that two of its early powers (his animals rebounding attacks and his punches making people confused) are used once and then never again, so they essentially don't exist. Other then that, he heals by turning objects into whatever the person's missing (blood cells, limbs, etc).

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

dogsicle posted:

The problem with Part 5's old translation is there only being a handful of characters with personalities. Also that it's just wrong at times, but you can definitely still read it and grasp the story.

I just would never recommend it, when a good one is being done.

Wrong in a "the translation said that he wanted to pick pretty flowers but he really said he was going to kill that old man" kind of way or wrong in a "the translation said that his favorite color was purple but really his favorite color is blue" kind of way? Like, I know that there's personality aspects that were dropped but those never changed my opinion of what was going on to begin with.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Wrong in a "the translation said that he wanted to pick pretty flowers but he really said he was going to kill that old man" kind of way or wrong in a "the translation said that his favorite color was purple but really his favorite color is blue" kind of way? Like, I know that there's personality aspects that were dropped but those never changed my opinion of what was going on to begin with.

The former. Like, a conversation in the original about an italian man getting pissy that, in hollywood, movies that take place in paris will pronounce paris the french way, but if they take place in italy they'll say it the english way, and he's mad about how they should say italy the correct way when making a movie about italy. The translation chose to have him get really mad about how nobody in italy speaks french and they should all speak french dammit

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's wrong in the sense that it fucks up the context for details in a given part. So stuff like White Album's rant (which Kite mentioned) or the oft-posted prison conversation are fairly understandable...but you don't get the intended takeaway.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The part 5 translation is bad in the opposite way that duwang is bad, on that while the duwang guys knew Japanese well enough but couldn't parse English, the part 5 translation is mostly acceptable English written by people who are really bad at understanding Japanese

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So I'm five volumes into Stone Ocean and it seems really fun so far and reading a Jojo in colour is an absolute pleasure. Anyone else think it was kind of a 'best of' feel to it? Jolyne seems like an amalgamation of Young Joseph and Jotaro, there's alot of action scenes which seem to be one-to-one references to early stories, there's a gambling themed enemy stand user who says ''Good' and the whole thing seems to be about Dio again. I know this is the last arc in the series before the universe reboots so it seems like a bit of a celebration of the classic series before it moves off to greener pastures, is that broadly on point?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I think part 7 is more of a "best of" kind of thing, in more ways than one.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I consider Part 7 more of a refinement than anything. It's Araki taking all the lessons he's learned throughout his career across each part and applying them in one single, concentrated effort. Great art, great characters, great stands, great pacing and balance...well until the final battle anyway.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

motherfucking alternate timeline dio with the world out of nowhere

GOD I was so pleased

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can't wait for 15 years from now when that happens in the anime and the scant few anime-only peeps to mark the hell out.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

setafd posted:

motherfucking alternate timeline dio with the world out of nowhere

GOD I was so pleased

i ddon't care if you didn't liked the rest of the fight, if you didn't get super hype when the world popped up out of loving nowhere you don't have a soul

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rest of the fight owned btw, dio using a fangirl as a human shield and stopping time to light johnny on fire was the poo poo

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Fungah! posted:

i ddon't care if you didn't liked the rest of the fight, if you didn't get super hype when the world popped up out of loving nowhere you don't have a soul

I got extremely hype.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Fungah! posted:

I think it might legit be the most shocked I have ever been at a twist in fiction. For whatever reason it caught me so off guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
I was spoiled on cross-dimensional DIO :smith:

But I don't care because it was still really awesome :unsmith: